Menu

College Students Demand Free Tampons

JumpyTheFrog

Where I get my hair cut, men's and women's are the same.  (cheap walk-in salon)  But typically, a woman's hair takes much longer than a man's to cut and style.  Seems appropriate that the hair that takes more time and more work would cost more, doesn't it?

Clothing?  Really?  I don't usually ask for evidence of an assertion but I'm wondering if there is some study showing this. I think there are too many factors to consider for anyone to make a blanket statement like that.  

I don't need sanitary products any more but I am not convinced I spent more on those than my husband spends on shaving needs.  I know it is not a perfect equivalent but he does need to shave.  I suspect many office dress codes would not allow for ZZ Top-style beards.   Firefighters in many places in the US cannot have beards; it's a safety issue.  Should they get shaving stuff provided by their fire company since they have to shave?   

Living costs money.  I am not sure any good can come from comparing which sex has more costs incurred by their simple existence.   

I was posting casually and will be off and running for the rest of the weekend and this isn't something I'm passionate about. But if you compare apples to apples, yes, there are studies that show products and services for women are more expensive. 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/learnvest/2012/05/15/the-woman-tax-how-gendered-pricing-costs-women-almost-1400-a-year/#2df642a68351   This is an older article published before the Affordable Care Act became law, but it refers to many other comparisons outside of health insurance. It also mentions a study done by the state of California, so if you are interested in seeing whether or not there is a higher cost of living to be the average woman than the average man, there is plenty of material out there. 

• Like 1

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, they can do it once, at home, then go about their day. When I menstruate I have to take care of it in a public bathroom if I'm out and about. Like pooping.

I don't poop at regular intervals, I can't always anticipate when it will happen to schedule my day around it, and sometimes it takes me by surprise. So I'm glad they provide toilet paper if and when I need it. Because eventually I will need it. same with a period...eventually every woman will menstruate and need supplies.

Not every man will shave, nor will it come up suddenly or unpredictably.

I was reading the article in terms of "we are too poor to afford tampons at all, not just out and about, and so the college should pay for all supplies," not just having some available for emergencies. For that matter, when I'm taken by surprise, I use some of the FREE toilet paper, and get proper supplies as soon as possible ;). All men shave at some point, surely. Any one I've ever been in close contact with shaves nearly daily or looks rather unkempt. Some men can get by with much less of course, and some women can get by with fewer supplies.

• Like 2

Here are just a few articles from a simple search on "do women's clothes cost more than men's". The first points out that with imported clothing, the tax is often higher for women's clothes, for no discernible reason. All of the articles discuss the various ways women pay more for the same products than men (and sometimes even get less). 

http://www.marieclaire.com/career-advice/news/a6999/why-do-women-pay-more/

http://www.businessinsider.com/womens-products-more-expensive-than-mens-2015-4

http://www.valuewalk.com/2015/12/women-vs-men-products-cost/

Of course living costs money. How does that make gender discrimination in the form of a "pink tax" okay?

Thanks for the links.  Interesting - I'm going to start comparing personal care products and buying men's versions if possible.  And the tax/tariff thing - wow, that is surprising to me.

My point about living costing money had more to do with comparing men's needs vs women's needs:  shaving products vs. menstrual products, for example. People just need different stuff.  In my experience and observation, women buy more personal care products, more (and more expensive) clothing, etc., than men do - speaking generally of course and again, based on my own observations.  Actually, my husband spends way more on clothing than I do, but he works every day and I do not. He also spends a vast amount of money on shoes, because he has very large feet; most shoes aren't even made in his size.    Like I said, many factors. 

Edited by marbel

I don't like the idea that we somehow have to make it up to women for the fact that they are women. Women have periods. It's part of being a woman. I don't want anyone to feel sorry for me because of that or tell me that I deserve to be catered to because I have to endure a period, poor me.

I don't think the girls who are demanding free menstrual products because they are so unable to handle having a period realize that they are making women look weak and whiny. They are infantilizing women by stating that we need to be taken care of by others just because we're women.

Society already puts women at a disadvantage with increased prices for the female version of products, lower wages compared to men, the "women tax" (google for details), and more. We are not equal members in our society yet. We get closer, but we aren't there yet.

Menstruation is not an optional experience.  Just like needing to use the bathroom, it is a natural bodily function.  It's not about feeling sorry for, it's about respecting the necessity and need.

• Like 4

Also, they can do it once, at home, then go about their day. When I menstruate I have to take care of it in a public bathroom if I'm out and about. Like pooping. 

I don't poop at regular intervals, I can't always anticipate when it will happen to schedule my day around it, and sometimes it takes me by surprise. So I'm glad they provide toilet paper if and when I need it. Because eventually I will need it. same with a period...eventually every woman will menstruate and need supplies. 

Not every man will shave, nor will it come up suddenly or unpredictably. 

I always carried something with me.  women carry purses for a reason, and that's just one.  not a big deal. the people making it a big deal are coming across as whiny and incapable babies who must be taken care of.  yet - they want to be treated like an adult.  well, then they need to *act* like one.

there are many fields were men are *required* to be clean shaven to present the desired appearance (e.g. finance, law).  even college students will work in those areas if that is what their major is -so they have to be clean shaven.  they have to shave *at least* once I day.  I've known men with heavy enough beard if they want to look good after work - they have to shave before they go out in the evening.

razors/et. al add up to more than my PFF costs.

• Like 2

Society already puts women at a disadvantage with increased prices for the female version of products, lower wages compared to men, the "women tax" (google for details), and more. We are not equal members in our society yet. We get closer, but we aren't there yet.

Menstruation is not an optional experience.  Just like needing to use the bathroom, it is a natural bodily function.  It's not about feeling sorry for, it's about respecting the necessity and need.

Based on your comments, I am very curious how you see this working.  Are you thinking all public washrooms by convention should have a selection of free menstrual products so that people can find whatever it is they need at that time?  Are you expecting women at home to be compensated for needing menstrual products in some way?  Should the state fund schools or employers for this, or do they bear the cost directly (which would ultimately be wrapped up in their operating costs of course.)

Because if the issue is really extra costs to women, having a few pads in case of someone occasionally being caught short away from home isn't really going to make much difference.  If we want the idea to be that outside the home, as a matter of course, women should expect to have products provided, there will need to be supplies of quite a few different types kept stocked and things like theft and vandalism prevention attended to as well.  If it is a cost to women problem, than perhaps, if we need to deal with it it should be done through taxes somehow.

If the real issue is being caught sort, then I think the machines that cost a quarter are probably a good solution, they can be a stop-gap even if they aren't the preferred type, and the quarter is pretty cheap but enough to keep people from abusing their use.

If the real issue is poverty among any group, then the best solution seems to be to give the appropriate level of funding to people, or less ideally where we are having to use things like food banks to give it directly to those who can't afford it, rather than give it also to people who can afford it and would rather make their own choice, or place them publicly in such a way that there is a lot of waste.

• Like 2

I always carried something with me.  women carry purses for a reason, and that's just one.  not a big deal. the people making it a big deal are coming across as whiny and incapable babies who must be taken care of.  yet - they want to be treated like an adult.  well, then they need to *act* like one.

there are many fields were men are *required* to be clean shaven to present the desired appearance (e.g. finance, law).  even college students will work in those areas if that is what their major is -so they have to be clean shaven.  they have to shave *at least* once I day.  I've known men with heavy enough beard if they want to look good after work - they have to shave before they go out in the evening.

razors/et. al add up to more than my PFF costs.

At least here in Canada, there are some jobs, like acting, where people can claim things like tampons or razors used while they are actually working.

• Like 2

I had a thought as I was getting ready this morning.

in *most* fields, men must wear their hair short if they want a job.  that means, they are getting it cut every 4 - 6 weeks.  sure, women wear their hair short, but that is all about fashion.  it is just as acceptable for women to wear it long.

when  we were in financial hardships - I cut dh's hair, and wore mine long.   (I've since decided short hair is a big expense - having to have it cut every 4 weeks to look good, and hassle as it has to be styled every day to look good.  I like long hair better. and it's cheaper.)

Based on your comments, I am very curious how you see this working.  Are you thinking all public washrooms by convention should have a selection of free menstrual products so that people can find whatever it is they need at that time?  Are you expecting women at home to be compensated for needing menstrual products in some way?  Should the state fund schools or employers for this, or do they bear the cost directly (which would ultimately be wrapped up in their operating costs of course.)

Because if the issue is really extra costs to women, having a few pads in case of someone occasionally being caught short away from home isn't really going to make much difference.  If we want the idea to be that outside the home, as a matter of course, women should expect to have products provided, there will need to be supplies of quite a few different types kept stocked and things like theft and vandalism prevention attended to as well.  If it is a cost to women problem, than perhaps, if we need to deal with it it should be done through taxes somehow.

If the real issue is being caught sort, then I think the machines that cost a quarter are probably a good solution, they can be a stop-gap even if they aren't the preferred type, and the quarter is pretty cheap but enough to keep people from abusing their use.

If the real issue is poverty among any group, then the best solution seems to be to give the appropriate level of funding to people, or less ideally where we are having to use things like food banks to give it directly to those who can't afford it, rather than give it also to people who can afford it and would rather make their own choice, or place them publicly in such a way that there is a lot of waste.

I agree it isn't simple. But the point is that women are still at a disadvantage overall. And menstruation isn't an option. So it really isn't such a crazy idea to provide menstrual products the same way we provide toilet paper. 

• Like 1

I had a thought as I was getting ready this morning.

in *most* fields, men must wear their hair short if they want a job.  that means, they are getting it cut every 4 - 6 weeks.  sure, women wear their hair short, but that is all about fashion.  it is just as acceptable for women to wear it long.

when  we were in financial hardships - I cut dh's hair, and wore mine long.   (I've since decided short hair is a big expense - having to have it cut every 4 weeks to look good, and hassle as it has to be styled every day to look good.  I like long hair better. and it's cheaper.)

I think the double standard for hair is wrong. Men should be able to have long hair, and women shouldn't have to pay more for haircuts.

But, hair cuts are not the same as bleeding monthly.

Hair that gets a little long between haircuts, is not the same as blood running down your legs because you couldn't afford pads/tampons/clean place to clean reusable items.

• Like 3

Menstruation is not an optional experience. Just like needing to use the bathroom, it is a natural bodily function. It's not about feeling sorry for, it's about respecting the necessity and need.

Then women are stupid. It's not a tax. It's a choice. If I have two like products, one is in a pink bottle wi a female on the label and one is in a blue bottle with a guy, then it's silly of me to buy the pink one for more money just because it is pink.

I refuse to do that.

I buy men's razors to shave with. The Mach3 are superior to any of the so called women's razors and it makes no difference to my legs that the razor isn't a pastel color.

We all use the same shampoo and conditioners (if we use conditioner at all). Personally we don't like anything that has a strong smell of any kind.

This is simple marketing. Products are in the business to sell, and if making it look more feminine gets more money, then that's what they will do for as long as women are foolish enough to keep buying it for that reason.

Even my little girls caught on to this. The cutesy pink toy aisle toys always fall apart within a week and besides, there is some neat stuff in the not all pink junk aisle, so it didn't take them long to decide they didn't want the pink crap just because it was pink.

• Like 3

Then women are stupid. It's not a tax. It's a choice. If I have two like products, one is in a pink bottle wi a female on the label and one is in a blue bottle with a guy, then it's silly of me to buy the pink one for more money just because it is pink.

I refuse to do that.

I buy men's razors to shave with. The Mach3 are superior to any of the so called women's razors and it makes no difference to my legs that the razor isn't a pastel color.

We all use the same shampoo and conditioners (if we use conditioner at all). Personally we don't like anything that has a strong smell of any kind.

This is simple marketing. Products are in the business to sell, and if making it look more feminine gets more money, then that's what they will do for as long as women are foolish enough to keep buying it for that reason.

Even my little girls caught on to this. The cutesy pink toy aisle toys always fall apart within a week and besides, there is some neat stuff in the not all pink junk aisle, so it didn't take them long to decide they didn't want the pink crap just because it was pink.

It is a tax on women. Even if many women choose to buy the guy version because it is cheaper, it shouldn't even be an issue.     We still get paid less, and are charged more.

Again, menstruation isn't optional. (And there is no guy version to save money with) So providing menstrual products like we do toilet paper is reasonable.

• Like 3

It is a tax on women. Even if many women choose to buy the guy version because it is cheaper, it shouldn't even be an issue. We still get paid less, and are charged more.

Rubbish. Unless I take my Mach3 razors or my Paul Mitchell tea tree shampoo to the counter and the govt decides I should be charged more because I'm female, it's not a tax on women.

If course it's an issue in every purchase everyone makes every day. You choose to pay more for something because of the way it's packaged or marketed, then that's your choice. Stop doing it if you don't like, but don't blame them if you do. This comes off as women are too stupid or incompetent to manage their own spending decisions. It's insulting.

Again, menstruation isn't optional. (And there is no guy version to save money with) So providing menstrual products like we do toilet paper is reasonable.

Many people have said why it is not at all like toilet paper and many people have also said it should be provided with other low income assistance programs.

• Like 7

Many people have said why it is not at all like toilet paper and many people have also said it should be provided with other low income assistance programs.

Many people have asserted that it's not like toilet paper, but few of them have given a coherent reason why this is the case, and none of them have made what I consider a valid point.

• Like 2

And the tampons/pads would be different how? I'm assuming the students wanting tampon dispensers on the bathroom know they don't actually materialize free of cost, anymore than the toilet paper and soap do. So however those are paid for is how the tampons would be paid for. How is it different for them to use your taxes for toilet paper and soap versus pads?

A lot of people then would be paying twice. Because most people choose to use the provided paper, but would probably still choose to buy their own menstrual products.

I wonder whether there are young women on campus who do use cloth pads by choice.  How do they handle it?  Or do they all just switch to disposable until they live off campus?

In the dorm where I lived, the only running water was the shower or the (not-private) hand-washing sinks.  Maybe you could fill up some basins and go wash them in your room, but I don't know ... it sounds pretty complicated.  I can't think of any place on campus where a woman could have running water and privacy at the same time.

There most certainly are women on campus who use cloth by choice.  My girls (unless I can convince them to try a cup between now and college age) will be among them.

My girls have a large enough stash to get them through their entire period.  They'll have 2 wet bags, a large one that can hold the entire stash until wash day and a small double wet bag (one pocket for the clean, one pocket for the used) for a single day's supply of pads.  Cloth pads don't stink the way disposables do, so I'd advise them to collect their used ones in the large wet bag in the bottom of their closet until time to do laundry.  They don't need to be washed immediately.  They don't need to be rinsed. They do NOT need to be washed separately. On the normal laundry day, just unzip the bag and drop it into the machine (bag and all) with the rest of the laundry. Wash on warm, no fabric softener or bleach.  Tumble dry.  Put away until next time.

A few random points from reading through the thread so far:  

Disposable pads aren't sterile. They don't need to be, and neither do cloth pads.

Blood doesn't need to be washed out immediately to avoid stains.  Some fabrics just stain easily and some don't stain at all no matter how long the blood sits.  My daughter has left forgotten pads in a wet bag for over a month--they came out of the washer clean and stain free.

People like interesting, colorful prints for their pads for the same reason that people like flowers-- they're pretty and cheerful.  They're like accessories for your crotch, lol!

• Like 2

So if the real problem is a tax on women, with increased prices for products, tariffs on clothing, and lower pay, why aren't these passionate campus activists focusing on those things?  Is it because menstrual products are easier?    Because honestly, asking the university to supply tampons sounds like:  "I can't plan ahead so I need tampons available wherever I go, and I can't be expected to carry a quarter to pay for it either, so it has to be free, and plus the monthly bleeding makes me spend about a hundred bucks year more than a guy does, and that's not fair." 

I just don't get the sudden crisis.  Women have been menstruating for a long time, and seem to have dealt with it, easily or not.  A couple of people have brought up the specter of women walking around with blood running down their legs.  Maybe I don't get out much, but I've never seen that. Maybe a very few times in my life I've seen a middle- or high-school girl with a blood spot on the back of her skirt.  I was one of them, once, in 8th grade.  Humiliating.  But it was my very first period, and I'd either had no warning or did not recognize the signs.  I went to the nurse and got a pad, and a call to my mom for a ride home to change clothes.  I never wore that ugly yellow tent dress again. 

It just seems like there might be bigger issues for women to be working on.  No?

• Like 6

Well, bringing this into the big "women are at a disadvantage" discussion is once again distorting the real issue beyond rational logic.

Yes, there are some things about being a women that are hard.  Bleeding and cramps rank right up there, but that is not a male conspiracy, so it's pretty dumb to couch it that way.  When it comes down to it, the costs of menstrutation are mostly shared between the sexes, as most families treat this as a grocery for the wife and the minor girls.  And besides, it is such a little bit of money in the grand scheme of things.  Changing this little thing is going to make zero difference in the real issues affecting women in the USA.

I also don't agree that it is cheaper to clothe and oufit a man than a woman.  A pair of men's shoes would blow my wardrobe budget for years.  :P  Women have far more choices in designing their appearance than men.  Women's socially acceptable choices are so much more varied in style, color, fabric, coverage, etc.  And "men don't have to shave" is not a serious argument unless you're talking about people who don't need to work.  For that matter, women don't have to wear protection.  They could choose to just bleed out on their clothes and get about the same result as a man who never takes care of his facial hair.  Not long ago, a woman made news for running a marathon without a tampon to prove some sort of point.  So yeah, it's a choice, but the reality is that men are gonna shave and women are gonna wear protection, and protection is probably the cheaper of the two.

• Like 7

Once again the point is missed. It's called accommodating students, the people who pay the thousands of salaries and costs involved in running a school. They believe they have a reason to be heard, they gather, they petition, they choose spokeswomen, they state their cause . Isn't this a process that we want our young adults to learn?

There is a difference between anger and shill demands and reasoned discourse and cooperation. I certainly believe there is a time for anger and demands. I also believe that those times are for emergencies and times of violation of civil rights. I do not believe that free tampons qualifies as such an issue, and I would hope that my children would have the discernment skills to recognize that.

I am politically active. I model political action and solution-seeking to my kids. I do not model over-reaction and tone-deafness.

FWIW, I have no problem with colleges providing free tampons to students. If local businesses began providing them and built their cost into their prices, I wouldn't get het up about it. It's their choice, and I can shop there or not. I do have a problem with self-righteous college students making mountains out of molehills. And yes, I was one at one point. I suspect that eventually these young women will look back on their words surrounding this issue and cringe. I would like to see an older women take these young women under her wing and help them develop a viable course of action that solves an actual problem. Then they will be taken more seriously. I don't have to agree with someone's complaint or agenda to support their right to be heard.

• Like 5

And another thing - if these privileged young women in college are couching this in terms of women being downtrodden, it simply highlights the fact that they really have no clue about how our society has been and, to some degree, continues to be stacked against women, on balance.  Today, appearance and personal care don't even figure in.  Today, the real issue is in society not valuing the unique contributions of women - or, if they value it, they use it to justify economic actions that favor men.  Both women and men sometimes make poor decisions because of not valuing feminine qualities.  And no, I'm not talking about everyone taking an interest in women's monthly periods.  Wow, we are so lucky today that most of us can do almost anything men can do whether we are menstruating or not.  Nobody needs to be concerned about whether we are menstruating or how we are managing it, because we can handle it all by ourselves.  By college age, we can budget that little bit of money, plan and execute a trip to the store (or an online purchase!), and remember to slip a few tampons/pads into our book bag.  One hopes we can do a lot more besides.  Why create a distraction when there are much bigger issues that need to be addressed?  It only makes sense if you have no idea of what the other issues are.

• Like 4

It is a tax on women. Even if many women choose to buy the guy version because it is cheaper, it shouldn't even be an issue. We still get paid less, and are charged more.

I think there is a huge and illogical leap you are making here. The fact that men don't menstruate and women do does not mean it makes sense to provide those things from the public purse.

We all have many necessary expenses for life that we cannot change. This does not mean that for all of them, even if they are related to some special catagory designation, we should therefore centralize those functions. There are many downsides and even inefficiencies with almost any kind of centralization. And we will just never have total equivalence of costs for all, it's inhuman. What we want is for people to be able to afford normal costs like hygrometer products, over the counter meds, big shoes for those with big feet, and so on.

I do not feel hard done by by Mother Nature because I am a woman. My menstrual cycle is not something I need to be compensated for. I am lucky to have a fair salary so I can manage my personal needs from pads to sinus meds. Like almost all women I am in the best position to know what I need when, and that makes me the best manager of my body. Centralization of function will only mean less efficiency and others having a say in what is an intensely personal matter.

Other differences in charges for men and women are sometimes legitimate and sometimes not. Women's haircuts for example do typically take more time and product. In other cases it is a matter of people charging what the market will bear - much the same way that the same applesauce with a picture of a baby, in the infant aisle, costs more. I would argue however that this is not really sexism so much as a negative feature of capitalism.

• Like 7

I suspect that eventually these young women will look back on their words surrounding this issue and cringe. I would like to see an older women take these young women under her wing and help them develop a viable course of action that solves an actual problem. Then they will be taken more seriously. I don't have to agree with someone's complaint or agenda to support their right to be heard.

I keep imagining myself being the mom of this girl and hearing, "mom, I got published!" and reading the celebrated online article and wanting to go hide for a long time as all my friends and relatives discuss it.  :P

• Like 3

"I can't plan ahead so I need tampons available wherever I go, and I can't be expected to carry a quarter to pay for it either, so it has to be free, and plus the monthly bleeding makes me spend about a hundred bucks year more than a guy does, and that's not fair." 

Pretty much.

• Like 1

Many people have asserted that it's not like toilet paper, but few of them have given a coherent reason why this is the case, and none of them have made what I consider a valid point.

How condescending.   Why not just say that you disagree?

• Like 2

In America, once we advanced beyond outhouses and the Sears Catalog we somehow decided to provide toilet paper in public restrooms.   This is the bare minimum.  If individuals require more than the bare minimum then it's up to them to provide for themselves.

If people think providing free feminine hygiene products is only fair, then what about people who need other products.   I usually hit the mute button when the urinary catheter commercials are on tv, but what about those people?   What happens if they forget their "pocket catheter" ?  

And then there are the commercials for bladder leakage products...if they advertise those on tv there must be quite a few people who might need to have these provided in restrooms as well. 

What about special populations?   If we're going to have handicapped stalls, why are we not providing adult-sized diapers?

Restrooms with changing tables are fairly recent.  Why not provide free diapers and wipes?  And pull-ups for bigger kids? 

This is why tampons aren't like toilet paper.   This becomes like the children's book If You Give A Mouse A Cookie.  

• Like 8

But for the most part, women don't suddenly and unexpectedly menstruate. There are physical signs it's coming, and it happens on a more or less predictable schedule.

And while it is impractical for everyone to tote around their own toilet, it is simple to cary around a pad, tampon, or cup.

LOL, FYI, I've had 30 years of periods, and I haven't predicted a single one except for the few years when I was on hormonal birth control pills. 

Not all women are "periodic" or "predictable". No matter how well I know my body, each and every time is a "surprise". Cycles range from 26-100+ days all 30 years, never two periods the same length in a row . . . No signs that it's "coming" (and I tracked cervical mucous for years when trying to conceive, so I'm not squeamish and am in good touch with my body) . . . Even when I tracked my temperature, that never helped predict periods, only ovulation . . . 

• Like 3

I don't think that feeling you have a "right to free stuff" is a character flaw. So repeating yourself on this issue isn't going to convince me.

Of course it is a character flaw.  Thinking, "It sure would be nice if there were some tampons in this restroom, but there aren't, so I'm going to ask the next woman who comes in for one, and carry them next time" is normal.

Thinking, "I have a right to free tampons when and where I need them and I am not responsible for providing them for myself.  Others owe me and they should purchase them for me." is indeed a character issue. 

Edited by TranquilMind
  • Like 11

I just cannot get myself worked up about this issue.  I cannot even imagine asking for this because I do not see these products as equivalent to toilet paper.  And I am pretty darn sure I could not find a college anywhere that would not give these products freely to any student that showed up at the health center asking for them because they could not afford them.  There are universities that have FOOD BANKS.  Much bigger fish to fry.  

The university I work at has more men than women.  The building I work in was built in the 1960s when there were even less women.  Due to this, the building has a men's room on every floor but a women's room only on every fourth floor.  Now it is really not a big deal to have to walk up or down a flight or two of stairs to use the bathroom and I have never heard the female students complain.  If anything, I welcome the opportunity to move my legs a little more periodically throughout the day.  But there have been many a heated philosophical lunchroom discussion amongst the faculty and staff about it. What is the answer?  Do we spend millions of dollars re-arranging the walls, plumbing, offices, and lab space to add women's bathrooms to each floor?  Do we re-assign some of the men's rooms to women's so that they are "even" despite the fact that the occupants of the building at any given time are 90% male? I don't see any good solutions there.  I am reminded multiple times a day as I hike the stairs to use the bathroom that I am not "equal" in the eyes of the people that designed the building but I also don't want to see scarce resources being poured into taking that reminder away rather than using those resources to recruit and retain more females to the profession. 

• Like 2

I really think that if more women used cups all of this would be a nonissue.

I get that it grosses some people out and others are afraid to even try it. I had one daughter like that, but tampons are not happening here due to the waste and risk of Toxic Shock Syndrome. Dd might have been happy with pads, but I wasn't letting her period limit our activities. "No, you are not missing the swim meet because you aren't willing to use your cup."

Eventually she tried it and never looked back.

I do not see the mess factor for communal living being a valid point. Just empty it in the toilet, wipe it off with toilet paper, clean it in the shower or sink. There would not even be enough blood left at that point to be offensive.

Sure there is an upfront cost. I would be happy to help college students with the initial purchase.

It would be safer. It would be cheaper and there would be no used disposable products to dispose of.

• Like 2

I agree it isn't simple. But the point is that women are still at a disadvantage overall. And menstruation isn't an option. So it really isn't such a crazy idea to provide menstrual products the same way we provide toilet paper. 

But why can't you carry your own? Most women do.  I've rarely been asked for a tampon in a bathroom, but if I were, I would happily give one.  Most women know to carry their own. 

• Like 3

LOL, FYI, I've had 30 years of periods, and I haven't predicted a single one except for the few years when I was on hormonal birth control pills. 

Not all women are "periodic" or "predictable". No matter how well I know my body, each and every time is a "surprise". Cycles range from 26-100+ days all 30 years, never two periods the same length in a row . . . No signs that it's "coming" (and I tracked cervical mucous for years when trying to conceive, so I'm not squeamish and am in good touch with my body) . . . Even when I tracked my temperature, that never helped predict periods, only ovulation . . . 

Yes, not all women have predictable cycles, and for those who are irregular it doesn't always signify a serious condition that needs to be treated.

Mine was highly predictable, within 48 hours on either side, but I had friends whose periods were unpredictable. When I was going through menopause all those years of predictability went out the window and I finally knew what my friends went through. My next one could come 2 weeks after my last one ended, or 2 days, or 2 months, or on time like it used to. Not once during menopause was I able to predict when I would start again. 

• Like 2

I keep protection with me 100% of the time because mine have become unpredictable.  This is not really a big burden!

We know college students are going to need deodorant, but we don't supply that either.  Grown-ups can handle this on their own.  Even though sometimes people do forget and have to improvise.

There is a scary trend with college students thinking they need to be treated like helpless and fragile creatures.  I really don't think this is heathy.

• Like 5

In America, once we advanced beyond outhouses and the Sears Catalog we somehow decided to provide toilet paper in public restrooms.   This is the bare minimum.  If individuals require more than the bare minimum then it's up to them to provide for themselves.

If people think providing free feminine hygiene products is only fair, then what about people who need other products.   I usually hit the mute button when the urinary catheter commercials are on tv, but what about those people?   What happens if they forget their "pocket catheter" ?  

And then there are the commercials for bladder leakage products...if they advertise those on tv there must be quite a few people who might need to have these provided in restrooms as well. 

What about special populations?   If we're going to have handicapped stalls, why are we not providing adult-sized diapers?

Restrooms with changing tables are fairly recent.  Why not provide free diapers and wipes?  And pull-ups for bigger kids? 

This is why tampons aren't like toilet paper.   This becomes like the children's book If You Give A Mouse A Cookie.  

Slippery slope is a fallacy, not a logical argument.

How condescending.   Why not just say that you disagree?

Because the original comment was fallacious and condescending, marbel. Had I wanted to say "I disagree", I assure you, I would have.

• Like 4

Thinking, "I have a right to free tampons when and where I need them and I am not responsible for providing them for myself.  Others owe me and they should purchase them for me." is indeed a character issue.

Thinking "I have a right to have no responsibility towards others in my society. I don't owe anybody anything" is a character issue.

• Like 5

Once again the point is missed. It's called accommodating students, the people who pay the thousands of salaries and costs involved in running a school. They believe they have a reason to be heard, they gather, they petition, they choose spokeswomen, they state their cause . Isn't this a process that we want our young adults to learn?

It's not giving everyone free stuff. To me, that belief is pure ignorance. When you're dealing with an angry population, though, I understand how easy it is to sway them.

But it is such a dumb cause, and so easily resolved personally by sticking a few tampons in your purse or bag. 

I would want my young adults to spend their time on more important causes, and they would.   To petition that some tampons be stashed in the restroom, fine.  To even be the one to stash them there, fine.  To make a big freaking deal out of it is just silly. 

I have one daughter who just couldn't be bothered to carry a bag.  When she was with me, that was fine.  I still carry tampons out of long-ingrained habit, even though I no longer use them.  When she wasn't with me, she realized why I repeatedly warned her to stop going out without them, assuming she could make it home.  She learned, and solved her problem. 

Edited by TranquilMind
  • Like 3

Thinking "I have a right to have no responsibility towards others in my society. I don't owe anybody anything" is a character issue.

Correct.  But nobody is saying anything remotely like that.  "I don't owe everybody everything" would be more accurate.

Honestly, out of all the needy people I help or want to help each year, I believe Columbia University students with brand-new backpacks and hordes of supplies in their dorm rooms have never hit my "I should get out and help them" radar.  If I put my efforts into helping such people to meet their basic personal needs, I would be diverting resources from people whose needs are a lot more urgent.

• Like 14

I would want my young adults to spend their time on more important causes, and they would. To petition that some tampons be stashed in the restroom, fine. To even be the one to stash them there, fine. To make a big freaking deal out of it just silly.

You have, in the past, touted a number of causes that I thought were dreadfully silly, and that's putting it lightly. I don't really want to dredge them all up now, because gosh knows we don't need to start arguing that again, but I'm sure if I did, you'd say "that one wasn't silly!"

Reasonable people can disagree on the importance of any particular issue. And it may surprise you to hear this, but all people are capable of spending time on multiple issues. Surely you don't claim you only do Very Serious and Important Things every hour of your life?

• Like 2

Correct. But nobody is saying anything remotely like that. "I don't owe everybody everything" would be more accurate.

Tampons are not "everything". And yes, I do believe that our society, on the whole, does owe everybody the necessities. Menstrual protection is a necessity... and not just for the person who is bleeding.

• Like 4

Um, I provide for others quite well, thanks, and loads of tax money is extracted from us personally for politicians to squander as well, so not accepting that nonsense here.

See, the difference is that I personally consider it MY responsibility to do what I can for those in my sphere, and not the responsiblity of an institution to play daddy for me and resolve my problem.  If someone needs a tampon, I would let them know they could come to me any time - say the women on my floor, in this scenario. 

If I were the person complaining that no one else was buying and providing tampons for me, I'd be embarrassed.

I'd be the person calling a group together and saying that WE have to solve this problem, and I'm buying the first box of tampons at Costco, and putting a note above it for everyone to leave a buck when they take one, and I would assume these college students are mature enough to comply (sounds like I might be disappointed in this expectation).   Then we will make Costco or Walmart runs on occasion, while we simultaneously respectfully request the university to consider placing a stash of these in the women's restrooms. 

But then I am a problem solver, not one who sits helplessly and hopes someone else solves my problem, especially in such a routine and expected issue. 

• Like 10

Then you should probably carry menstrual products with you when you leave the house. :D

• Like 5

You have, in the past, touted a number of causes that I thought were dreadfully silly, and that's putting it lightly. I don't really want to dredge them all up now, because gosh knows we don't need to start arguing that again, but I'm sure if I did, you'd say "that one wasn't silly!"

Reasonable people can disagree on the importance of any particular issue. And it may surprise you to hear this, but all people are capable of spending time on multiple issues. Surely you don't claim you only do Very Serious and Important Things every hour of your life?

Please attribute your quotes, and not just snip them without attribution.  That is inappropriate.

I happened to see this one and it is mine, but of course, snipped, without full context.

At any rate,  you are taking this issue out of context as well.  We aren't talking about me.  We are talking about college women with a number of obligations taking their time out to protest on this issue.  And that is silly.

Oh geez. That's just a load of crap.

Not one person on this thread has said they don't think they have a responsibility to contribute to society. Or even to help make sure low income people have access to feminine products. In fact, every single person in this thread has said they do think low income people should be able to get feminine hygiene products same as WIC, food stamps, or access to food banks.

Blowing up the issue into something it isn't just causes it to self implode and go nowhere.

Likewise for making false derogatory character statements about those who think there is a better more equitable way to solve the problem.

Edited by Murphy101
  • Like 10

When I was a college student, I used to spend my free time volunteering with and advocating for young children with learning issues.

We once had to write a "letter to the editor" [school newspaper] as an assignment.  My topic was that I didn't agree with the then-new rule that student loans be paid directly to the university, and only the balance after all tuition, fees, and books was returned at some point in the school year.  I felt that since the students were on the hook to pay the money back, they should be the ones managing the cash.  I didn't expect anyone to give a damn about my opinion, but I did my assignment.  I can't even remotely imagine submitting a demand about bathroom products of any type.  Especially referencing periods.  Especially my own personal bleeding accident.  How times have changed.

• Like 5

Correct.  But nobody is saying anything remotely like that.  "I don't owe everybody everything" would be more accurate.

Honestly, out of all the needy people I help or want to help each year, I believe Columbia University students with brand-new backpacks and hordes of supplies in their dorm rooms have never hit my "I should get out and help them" radar.  If I put my efforts into helping such people to meet their basic personal needs, I would be diverting resources from people whose needs are a lot more urgent.

Ha ha.  Yes, Ivy League students who want tampons provided are not first on my list of people to help either.  ;)

• Like 6

When I was a college student, I used to spend my free time volunteering with and advocating for young children with learning issues.

We once had to write a "letter to the editor" [school newspaper] as an assignment.  My topic was that I didn't agree with the then-new rule that student loans be paid directly to the university, and only the balance after all tuition, fees, and books was returned at some point in the school year.  I felt that since the students were on the hook to pay the money back, they should be the ones managing the cash.  I didn't expect anyone to give a damn about my opinion, but I did my assignment.  I can't even remotely imagine submitting a demand about bathroom products of any type.  Especially referencing periods.  Especially my own personal bleeding accident.  How times have changed.

Exactly. 

Oh geez. That's just a load of crap.

Not one person on this thread has said they don't think they have a responsibility to contribute to society. Or even to help make sure low income people have access to feminine products. In fact, every single person in this thread has said they do think low income people should be able to get feminine hygiene products same as WIC, food stamps, or access to food banks.

Blowing up the issue into something it isn't just causes it to self implode and go nowhere.

Likewise for making false derogatory character statements about those who think there is a better more equitable way to solve the problem.

Amen.

Please attribute your quotes, and not just snip them without attribution. That is inappropriate.

There we go, a silly issue that you continually waste your time on.

At any rate,  you are taking this issue out of context as well. We aren't talking about me. We are talking about college women with a number of obligations taking their time out to protest on this issue. And that is silly.

They don't think so. Your opinion is not objective fact. They are allowed to spend their time however they choose, whether they spend it protesting things you agree with or not.

See, the difference is that I personally consider it MY responsibility to do what I can for those in my sphere, and not the responsibility of an institution to play daddy for me and resolve my problem. If someone needs a tampon, I would let them know they could come to me any time - say the women on my floor, in this scenario.

Personal charity is not capable of providing an adequate social safety net. Nor is it appropriate for people to have to depend on asking others face-to-face for assistance, a situation which is embarrassing for both parties. The most appropriate form of charity is when the giver and the recipient don't know each other.

Edited by Tanaqui
  • Like 1