Menu

So if you watched the debate, who do you think won?

Who won the first debate?  

1. 1. Who won the first debate?

• McCain
    • Obama
    • Was not clear.

:iagree:

It all comes down to respect -- which is the point I hope I was making about the lack of eye contact during the debate.

I respect John McCain. I've never said otherwise, here or elsewhere.

While my candidate of choice is referred to in very derrogative terms and described as 'scary'.

Several of the commentators immediately following the debate referred to Obama's continued use of the first name John when addressing McCain. They mentioned that the Obama campaign wanted to get McCain riled, get under his collar, and that this was one of the things that they thought might subtly bug McCain.

So it goes both ways. Experienced debaters probably saw all kinds of subtlety here.

I thought it was a pretty even match, which is nice since McCain didn't take the week to prepare. And ole Miss got to keep their debate! :auto:

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Several of the commentators immediately following the debate referred to Obama's continued use of the first name John when addressing McCain. They mentioned that the Obama campaign wanted to get McCain riled, get under his collar, and that this was one of the things that they thought might subtly bug McCain.

Now I watched ABC post-debate, and the "commentary" there was how unfriendly Sen McCain seemed by not referring to his colleague as "Barack", when Barack was calling him "John".

Just goes to show you....

:auto:

Bottom line for me:

McCain totally blew Obama out of the water in the debate.

I am aghast that these are our choices.

I will not be able to vote FOR anyone in this election, except maybe Biden.

I will need to vote against someone instead, or not vote the top of the ticket.

This is so interesting because I agree with you wholeheartedly on points 2, 3, and 4--but I completely disagree on point #1. I've been calling it a draw, but honestly, I thought that Obama ran away with this thing. That's my honest opinion, and I'm still waiting to figure out who I'm allowed to write in on the VA ballot. :D So no faux fawning over Obama, here.

It's fascinating to me that intelligent, reasonable people can watch the same debate and come to a completely different conclusion. I mean, I know that it's true, but it amazes me afresh every time. :001_smile:

What a GREAT country this is!

Now I watched ABC post-debate, and the "commentary" there was how unfriendly Sen McCain seemed by not referring to his colleague as "Barack", when Barack was calling him "John".

Just goes to show you....

:auto:

It's a tough one. Sen. McCain can't be seen as cold and grudge-holding. Sen. Obama can't (as a black man) be perceived as "disrespectful."

So I think Sen. McCain took a chance, not going with the agreed-upon format and looking at and doing exchanges directly to Sen. Obama. And Sen. Obama took a chance by being possibly too familiar -- though the fact that he could do so at Ole Miss with no more repercussions than being scolded for it was wonderful and inspiring and makes me teary to think about.

Anyone else think they probably call each other Barack and John when they speak on the phone? :001_smile:

One of my big questions coming away from the debate was this, "How much increased spending does Obama really propose?" He said McCain's figure of $800 billion was incorrect, but he never bothered to give us the correct figure. He claimed to be cutting taxes on 95% of Americans (I later read in a fact check link that is incorrect), but is that just allowing the Bush tax cut to remain in effect? Do we really believe there are THAT MANY loopholes in the business tax code? Where are businesses going to get the money to pay more taxes? (by laying off more workers?) (by raising prices?)

I was impressed with McCain's ability to give exact numbers for the tax cut he would give to every American family.

I've been googling Obama's spending plan but I can't get any concrete numbers.

I know for a FACT that I have a real problem with the government expanding its role to use tax dollars to fund MORE Early Childhood Education and Health Care.

I found Obama's use of McCain's first name incredibly gauche.

I know you are joking and I really don't mean to be snarky but isn't this teaching your children to mock (potential) authority figures? Or our possbile president? If Obama wins he will be our President, will your children (this goes for other parents that even jokingly mock and/or make fun of the canidates) respect him? This goes for the other side too who mock and make fun of McCain.

I think you're reading this wrong, but yes, I really did do this and no, I'm not actually joking.

Where we differ is on your interpretation of who the target of my pretend "gag" was aimed. I have often in this house called media on anything from either camp that was mocking of an individual so my children know where I stand on that. I do not mock Obama. I don't even listen to Rush and quite often I can't take Coulter because of my issue with this, and I'm quite conservative, with a bit of a libertarian bent.

Our house does have some fun though and drama is part of that. They know very well I was referring to government tax payer money paying for any universal preschool type program. (Remember that libertarian bent?) For what it's worth, after the laugh, McCain said something and I told them that if he goes and comments on ___________, I'll fall over gagging for him too. More giggles as they hoped he would and were sad when he didn't. Oh, and my kids I am referring to here are both 14 and very into politics this year, not young kids too naive to know the issues.

;)

One of my big questions coming away from the debate was this, "How much increased spending does Obama really propose?" He said McCain's figure of $800 billion was incorrect, but he never bothered to give us the correct figure. He claimed to be cutting taxes on 95% of Americans (I later read in a fact check link that is incorrect), but is that just allowing the Bush tax cut to remain in effect? Do we really believe there are THAT MANY loopholes in the business tax code? Where are businesses going to get the money to pay more taxes? (by laying off more workers?) (by raising prices?)

I was impressed with McCain's ability to give exact numbers for the tax cut he would give to every American family.

I've been googling Obama's spending plan but I can't get any concrete numbers.

I know for a FACT that I have a real problem with the government expanding its role to use tax dollars to fund MORE Early Childhood Education and Health Care.

I found Obama's use of McCain's first name incredibly gauche.

I must have missed McCain giving an amount for his tax cuts for every family. I did record the debate, so I will watch it again and see if I can find that.

I recall Obama mentioning his $1000.00 tax credit.

On this point I couldn't disagree more. I thought it made Sen Obama seem reasonable and open to ideas coming from "across the aisle", and Sen McCain (who often attempts to stress his "bi-partisanship") just looked "cranky" and very "pre-scripted" in his patently thin false charges that Sen Obama "does get it".

People could see for themselves that Sen Obama has a deep command of the issues. They may or may not "like" his solutions to our national problems, but trying to paint him as an ignoramus? It is simply not credible!

Wow. I haven't heard anyone characterize Sen. Obama in this way, if anything I've heard him referred to as a constitutional lawyer many times.

But as to the bi-partisan note, that goes to their records and their behavior in Congress. Even Obama's colleagues have been critical of his lack of willingness to work with others in his own party and definitely across the aisles. They may not be willing to say so now but many have been critical of his time in the Senate.

Overall, McCain did alright, considering that the debate was secondary in his mind this week. Like you said, agree with his positions or not, I think he should've been in DC this week focussing on the economy. He has influence there and could use it behind the scenes. Detractors will call it a photo op, but that's politics. Each side trying to spin.

What did you think about Biden coming on right after the debate on a couple stations? I wondered if they did that because they feared a less-than-great showing on the foreign policy Qs. I thought it took away some of Obama's authority, in a subtle way.....

:auto: eta: now I really have to go.

Edited by lovemyboys

But as to the bi-partisan note, that goes to their records and their behavior in Congress. Even Obama's colleagues have been critical of his lack of willingness to work with others in his own party and definitely across the aisles. They may not be willing to say so now but many have been critical of his time in the Senate.

Citations, por favor?:001_smile:

I thought that Obama did a nice job of articulating the fact that what we see before us are two competing worldviews--two different lenses through which to view the world, to use an expression that Obama used later in the debate that I also thought was totally apt. We can sit here and try to define them more concretely--"big" government v. "small" government, pro-life v. pro-choice, etc, etc--but it only breaks down into a shouting match.

And why? Because we're nasties? No, it's precisely because we all line up somewhere along a very non-linear spectrum (I just made that up, and I realize it doesn't make too much sense; bear with me, please!) on issues as a result of our own particular worldview.

I think I'm to the right of center--further right on some issues than many here, and much further left on other issues. I think of myself as a "crunchy conservative." :001_smile: But the closer you are to the "ends" (again, so linear--sorry about that!) of the spectrum, the more wholeheartedly you're going to embrace one or the other candidate. It only makes sense.

I try hard not to see one or the other position--and more important, try hard not to see those who sincerely espouse their various positions--as "evil." Wrong, perhaps, in my opinion. But they are indeed very, very different, and in some areas and on some issues, these worldviews are mutually exclusive. That's just reality.

Just my $02, and worth every penny you paid for it. ;)

If you watched this through the eyes of already liking one over the other then the one you like won. It was not an earth shattering debate in my opinion. It bugged me that they didn't really answer the questions and that McCain would not look at Obama. I felt like they both had points they wanted to make and it it somewhat came close to the question that was what they talked about. I found it a bit frustrating to watch.

First of all, I want to say I am registered as an independent voter and have no party affiliation.

Second, I am an undecided voter.

When the candidates were here in Iowa for the first go-round,the Obama camp was the ONLY camp that bothered to contact me as an independent. I was very impressed. I was personally invited to three different "meet Barack in person" events. Wow! That has NEVER happened.

Since the party conventions I have been watching both candidates very closely including this debate. Personally, I don't care for either candidate, but I know I must make a decision.

As for this particular debate, I felt McCain was the clear winner. He was calm, cool, collected and very well spoken. He knew what he was saying and why. Obama sounded young and confused.

The one thing that really, really bothered me was Obama calling him "John" BUT not only that, he seemed to not be able to remember his name was John. Obama called McCain "Tom" once, then "Jim" before mumbling around to "John". I mean, if you can't remember your opponent's name just stick with "Senator", kwim?

I didn't hear anything new or anything helpful in making my voting decision. I am also looking seriously into the Third Party candidates as these two are just.........words fail me.

But I did feel McCain did much, much better in this debate than Obama.

I am a McCain supporter, so naturally, I like to think he won. In a more objective light, Obama had great style, but was heavily coached. McCain's experience really shone through, and he blew me away with his response to the Russia issue. I didn't realize just how extensive McCain's outreach was to other countries, and that impressed me.

I had the honor of seeing Sen McCain and shaking his hand at a local victory rally. He is stiff. Shaking hands and standing are things that I think tire him out, due to his POW past. I don't think it incapacitates him, but I'm sure he has arthritis and other issues we can't imagine.

I didn't like Obama's address by first name, nor did I care for his highly polished style. But the bottom line is that I'm a conservative and always vote that way. Early education can be a good thing in special situations, but do we need prep for Kindergarten? Wasn't K prep for school? Accreditation, outcomed based education...no thanks. Sitting at the table with Iran...uh-uh. Whether we like it or not, we are in war and and a falling economy. This is not the time for extra programs and soft military.

Just my two cents

Before the debate I really didn't like either candidate. I am republican and think I have an open mind, but had decided to go with McCain. The lesser of two evils.

McCain impressed me during the debate. He has more experience and knowledge and it showed. Makes me feel better about my choice. I made a few comments about the debate on my blog if you would like to read them. (link below)

Thanks for the fact checking link.

Robin

The one thing that really, really bothered me was Obama calling him "John" BUT not only that, he seemed to not be able to remember his name was John. Obama called McCain "Tom" once, then "Jim" before mumbling around to "John". I mean, if you can't remember your opponent's name just stick with "Senator", kwim?

He didn't call McCain "Tom." He simply got a little ahead of himself, backtracked with a clarifying statement, then returned to the statement he'd intended to make.

From the transcript:

Tom -- or John mentioned me being wildly liberal. Mostly that's just me opposing George Bush's wrong headed policies since I've been in Congress but I think it is that it is also important to recognize I work with Tom Coburn, the most conservative, one of the most conservative Republicans who John already mentioned to set up what we call a Google for government saying we'll list every dollar of federal spending to make sure that the taxpayer can take a look and see who, in fact, is promoting some of these spending projects that John's been railing about.

McCain's experience really shone through, and he blew me away with his response to the Russia issue. I didn't realize just how extensive McCain's outreach was to other countries, and that impressed me.

Sen McCain's "outreach" in many areas could be overstated, however, in regards to the Republic of Georgia it can not be. Sen McCain has become a close advisor of Georgian President Mikheil Saakashvili. The two are extremely close and speak frequently.

Now one might view that as a "positive", unless you really delve into what transpired in the recent crisis (which included open warfare between Russia and Georgia). While the Russians deserve much condemnation for their role in Georgia (and its breakaway republics), the facts are that Georgia initiated actual combat in this case, with the full support of Sen McCain.

Fortunately this did not devolve into a worse chris than it did, but this is no thanks to the role of Sen McCain.

Sen McCain has consistently taken an extremely bellicose position against Russia, including signaling his willingness to confront Russia militarily.

Now I'm no lover of Russia or Mr Putin, but it is beyond reckless to pick fights with more enemies than you can afford to battle at any given time, no matter how much this might be your desire. This is not the way for a responsible statesman to behave.

Take a good look at Sen McCain's role before you judge his stand on dealing with Russia. And ask yourself if we can really have wars with Russia, Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, and North Korea all at the same time?

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

Oh, and I don't care if they agreed to speak directly to each other, I think it's stupid and don't like it, and I didn't like Lehrer repeatedly telling them to do it.

It's like with sports commentators - there's 2 in the booth and they can never decide if they are talking to each other or us. Really, they are talking to each other, but when they are on camera they look at us. It looks silly. So the debate is kind of the opposite for me, you aren't talking to each other, you are talking to the moderator and by extension, us, so look at us and talk to us.

Sen McCain has consistently taken an extremely bellicose position against Russia, including signaling his willingness to confront Russia militarily.

Now I'm no lover of Russia or Mr Putin, but it is beyond reckless to pick fights with more enemies than you can afford to battle at any given time, no matter how much this might be your desire. This is not the way for a responsible statesman to behave.

Take a good look at Sen McCain's role before you judge his stand on dealing with Russia. And ask yourself if we can really have wars with Russia, Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan, and North Korea all at the same time?

Bill

I wholeheartedly agree with you there!!!!

And I'd rather have a president willing to sit down and talk to those leaders rather than, as Obama put it last night, threaten them that they'll do what we want or else.

I'm voting for McCain and Uh-Obama scares the wits out of me. McCain showed again that he has more substance, a more realistic plan for the many areas that need addressed. I was not happy at all with Obama's broad strokes but I've read both stances from their respective websites on the issues. Obama mentioned his Early Education plan, which is one area that makes me sick to my stomach, check out his Zero to Five Early Education plan as well as other areas of education.

http://www.barackobama.com/issues/education/

"Obama and Biden will require all schools of education to be accredited."

I don't want to ruffle Obama supporter feathers here on the board but I see Obama as someone trying to win an election by promising an Utopian outcome which will only lead to more government involvement in our lives and higher taxes in various avenues (sales, income, etc.) to pay for all his 'sounds good' ideas. I wanted to like Obama, my dh is a huge supporter of him but I am terrified of what will happen if he is elected president.

The spending is out of control already, reform needs to happen and I just don't see how developing new costly programs and government is going to help...it SOUNDS great- universal healthcare (I have no health insurance), 95% of Americans will not see higher income taxes...sounds wonderful but it scares me how much liberty and freedom we might stand to lose.

I prefer McCain's health insurance tax break, then we can afford health insurance and I can still pick a doctor I'm comfortable with, not who the government deems adequate.

actually only calls for affordable insurance, not free insurance and the only people required to have it will be children, not adults.

Just clarifying.

On this point I couldn't disagree more. I thought it made Sen Obama seem reasonable and open to ideas coming from "across the aisle", and Sen McCain (who often attempts to stress his "bi-partisanship") just looked "cranky" and very "pre-scripted" in his patently thin false charges that Sen Obama "does get it".

And I found it especially laughable when Sen Obama time and again demonstrated that he has a clear command of the issues (agree with him, or not). I simply don't believe any fair-minded person (regardless of political stripe) could come to the conclusion Sen Obama has anything but an extraordinarily deep understanding of the issues we are facing. Sarah Palin he ain't.

So I thought Sen McCain looked desperate trying to push the "Obama doesn't get it line". It looked very hollow, and unbelievable.

People could see for themselves that Sen Obama has a deep command of the issues. They may or may not "like" his solutions to our national problems, but trying to paint him as an ignoramus? It is simply not credible!

Bill

Ya know what I find fascinating is that 6 people could see the same event and because of their world views, life experiences, ect.... come up with totally different and even opposite views and opinions. It is nice that we live in a country where we can hold and voice those differing views :)

I have yet to see Obama doing anything that crossed the isle and I have been following him since shortly after he took office in our state house. McCain has tho on many oceans and in many bills cross the isle. However someone with a different world view might and probably would see this differently :001_smile: I think all the varied opinions and views of the debate in this thread illustrate this point. My view is just that my view. It will not change the big picture.

I do agree with you :D that "Sarah Palin he ain't" However I think I have an opposite view of what you meant by that ;)

Ok I did spell check this puppy but I made sure that spell check did not butcher Palin's name :lol:

Ok I did spell check this puppy but I made sure that spell check did not butcher Palin's name :lol:

Drat! :D

Fortunately, spell check didn't save you "isle" instead of "aisle" or I'd have nothing to rib you about. Darn those homonyms.:tongue_smilie: :lol:

McCain has tho on many oceans and in many bills cross the isle. However someone with a different world view might and probably would see this differently :001_smile:

I don't think anyone would argue with the idea than John McCain has at times worked with Democratic leaders on major pieces of legislation.

It is the notion that Sen Obama should be ridiculed for saying he agrees with Sen McCain, or that Sen McCain's pre-scripted (and oft-repeated) suggestion that Sen Obama "doesn't get it" was in someway clever or point-scoring, that I find objectionable.

I think all the varied opinions and views of the debate in this thread illustrate this point. My view is just that my view. It will not change the big picture.

I do agree with you :D that "Sarah Palin he ain't" However I think I have an opposite view of what you meant by that ;)

Oh, you betcha! :D

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

The spending is out of control already, reform needs to happen and I just don't see how developing new costly programs and government is going to help...it SOUNDS great- universal healthcare (I have no health insurance), 95% of Americans will not see higher income taxes...sounds wonderful but it scares me how much liberty and freedom we might stand to lose.

I must have missed this the first time:

"It scares me how much liberty and freedom we might stand to lose."

How many freedoms and liberties have we lost since the Patriot Act came into play? Since we started "the war on terror"? And we're to have four more years of it? Not to mention alienating Iran, North Korea, Russia, Afghanistan, and Venezuela -- one country SpyCar left off from his awesome list:D

And....as Obama pointed out last night in the debate, McCain wants to tax employers for medical coverage in order to implement *his* plan -- many employers will then drop insurance coverage for their employees, or at the very least, they'll surely increase what you're paying out of your pocket for it.

And....as Obama pointed out last night in the debate, McCain wants to tax employers for medical coverage in order to implement *his* plan -- many employers will then drop insurance coverage for their employees, or at the very least, they'll surely increase what you're paying out of your pocket for it.

The most *tired* (and deeply saddening) line I heard from Sen McCain last night was on heath-care, when he agin let slip the comment that he wanted medical decisions be made between a patient and his [or did he say her?] doctor and not by the government.

It's quite sad just how out of touch Sen McCain is on the issue of insurance and health-care.

Bill

Drat! :D

Fortunately, spell check didn't save you "isle" instead of "aisle" or I'd have nothing to rib you about. Darn those homonyms.:tongue_smilie: :lol:

I don't think anyone would argue with the idea than John McCain has at times worked with Democratic leaders on major pieces of legislation.

It is the notion that Sen Obama should be ridiculed for saying he agrees with Sen McCain, or that Sen McCain's pre-scripted (and oft-repeated) suggestion that Sen Obama "doesn't get it" was in someway clever or point-scoring, that I find objectionable.

Oh, you betcha! :D

Bill

Oh my lands I meant occasions not oceans and yep drat those homonyms...... Of course the fruit does not fall far from the tree both my kids had dyslexia and my spelling is very atrocious :eek: I used to hire someone to edit my papers for spelling and grammar when I was in college. Thomas Jefferson was my hero when it came to spelling, etc.... :lol:

As far as the agreeing thing, well, all is fair in love and war and all the rules are out the window in a close fought campaign. There are ads on Palin that grip my stomach but Oh well there are only 38 or so days left of this..... I do tho feel your pain and I am not being flippant... The adds are for the undecided any way and may or may not be run who knows...... That is just suggestions being thrown around by think tank types.

Now back to the pork chops frying on my stove that my dmil would never have approved of :001_huh:

Yep this post is proof that I am a WTM board junky ;) but really at 6pm central I will be gone for the night.

OMG...John McCain's campaign actually has make an ad saying Barak Obama is unqualified to lead because he agrees with Sen McCain. Too funny! :D

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/27/the-most-stupidest-mccain_n_129840.html

Thanks I just watched it :) and I agreed with it but that is to be expected. From your post I don't think you are too upset by it ;) and again it just all goes back to how folks view things through the lens of their world view and life experience....

OK I really am done now or I will burn dinner and I need to make my kids get cleaned up for tonight....

I have yet to see Obama doing anything that crossed the isle and I have been following him since shortly after he took office in our state house.

Off the top of my head, there's the Lugar-Obama Non-proliferation Act and the Coburn-Obama Transparency Act. I believe he mentioned the second one in the debate last night. It's a database to put a record of all government spending online.

In my opinion neither canditate did well. I found the debate very 'boring' actually. The line of questioning by Jim Lehrer did not help imo either. I think that a more assertive moderator would have done a better job.

Susie

I agree with this. We are trying to pick the next president of the United States during a very troubled time nationally and internationally. This is no time to play patty cake. Let's get some real questions asked and answered please!!

As a rule I like Jim Lehrer, but I think we needed someone more assertive moderating.