Menu

Beef cows...how hard to raise?

Ottakee

My experience with raising and hunting meat is limited but it was not cost-effective when I factored in my time. If you are sitting around all day and cannot do anything else with that time, so value your own time at literally $0... maybe. I mean don't forget the cost of medical treatment, etc.

However, I think there are other rewards.

Um...that may be true for milk cows, that isn't true for beef cows. We don't have to do a whole lot with them and we often leave for a week or two.. I have no idea what you mean by morning or evening chores. They just wander on our place. He puts fly stuff on them once and awhile. In the winter, he puts out a thing of hay once a week or so. We sell our calves once a year. That is it.

I dunno, I don't have cows, lol. But everybody in the area knows about the lady who got some cows, and then recently left for a week. And those cows escaped and wandered all over the roads. They were quite the hazard. And I'm just saying what people have told me, and I'm not sure why they'd lie? Maybe it has something to do with the area of the continent? Once again, don't have cows.

Um...that may be true for milk cows, that isn't true for beef cows.  We don't have to do a whole lot with them and we often leave for a week or two..  I have no idea what you mean by morning or evening chores.  They just wander on our place.  He puts fly stuff on them once and awhile.  In the winter, he puts out a thing of hay once a week or so.  We sell our calves once a year.  That is it.

This is not always true, my dad is a beef farmer and would NEVER leave his cattle unattended for more than a day.  If they escape or something happens, you would never know.

• Like 6

Um...that may be true for milk cows, that isn't true for beef cows.  We don't have to do a whole lot with them and we often leave for a week or two..  I have no idea what you mean by morning or evening chores.  They just wander on our place.  He puts fly stuff on them once and awhile.  In the winter, he puts out a thing of hay once a week or so.  We sell our calves once a year.  That is it.

Wow- I had no idea. I've followed Pioneer Woman for years and it sure seems like Marlboro Man has a lot to do to keep their cattle fed and all. Yeah, they are ranchers, so a ton more cattle, but I thought they needed daily attention. Who knew?? (Not this city girl!)

Pretty easy.

We have a bunch. But not really cheaper than buying grocery store meat unless you're already buying grassfed. In that case, it is cheaper.

It takes about 2 yrs to get to slaughter weight.

But a commercial cross, not a purebred or a dairy bull calf. Purebreds are trickier and dairy calves don't gain as well.

Let's see...

We have automatic waterers so water's not an issue, and we have EXCELLENT fences (5 strand plus electric) So we do leave for a few days at a time.

Feeding in winter...you'll need to do it daily if you don't use the huge rolls. Otherwise, 1-2 cows will eat a roll every 2 weeks. Depending on how big the roll is. Here a cow will eat a square bale (50-60 pounds) in one day.

Fly spray weekly in hot weather to prevent fly bourne illnesses. (pinkeye, scours for small calves)

Worming once a year.

Vaccinating once a year.

We do have someone go by and feed chickens and check on things when we're out of town.

• Like 7

I dunno, I don't have cows, lol. But everybody in the area knows about the lady who got some cows, and then recently left for a week. And those cows escaped and wandered all over the roads. They were quite the hazard. And I'm just saying what people have told me, and I'm not sure why they'd lie? Maybe it has something to do with the area of the continent? Once again, don't have cows.

Gates.

It's easy to forget to latch a gate.

Or if you have crappy fences (we don't) they can escape.

Or if you use electric wire and the power goes out.

• Like 2

Whenever I joke about getting our own cow, the cattle ranchers are quick to remind me that no matter the number, somebody needs to be there every day. No taking off for the weekend, no missing morning or evening chores. Ever. So no, it wouldn't be worth it to me.

hmmm... Not my experience.

There's a huge difference between feeding 1-2 and feeding 100.

With 1-2 you put out a roll and leave it there.

If it's a really cold area, you do have to do more in the winter.

Summer's not too bad though.

• Like 4

Oh, yes they are EASIER than horses, IME.

They can pasture with the horses. They use the same minerals.

Only exception would be if you want to grain feed. The horses will dominate the cows, run the cows out of the feed, gobble it up, and founder. Also, any worm blocks or high mag blocks with sweet tastes will make the horses sick because the horses will eat the stuff excessively. Cows will lick those things, horses will chow down..

• Like 2

FairFarmhand's advice is right on. We always ran our cattle separately from our horses.  That said, you could run your cattle all summer in rich pasture and just turn out your horses for a couple of hours a day. In the winter you could halter your horses to grain them and grain your cattle at the same time to keep them from not stealing food.

• Like 1

I second the opinion that fairfarmhand's advice is good.  

We have 2 Dexters now and they are smaller, though not necessarily tamer or easier to handle, as they came from a large herd/ranch and were not handled.  My sisters and I raised 30-50 head of Angus together on our small(er) place during our 4-H and FFA years and, I think, though a bit larger as a breed, they were easier to handle because we had better facilities and worked with them more than I do now with these.  

For the 2 we have now, my main concern is not wanting to buy feed, as the cost of hay has gone through the roof, as one poster mentioned up-thread.  I'm not looking for an expensive hobby here--just a way to keep grass and fire danger down (hot summers.)  

Good fencing is a must.  If you don't start with good 5-strand, tight fencing, you are just inviting repeated headache and drama.  There is some skill to learn with fencing, but it can be hired out if you're not able or interested and if you can afford the labor.  

Like with any living creature, you have to check water daily, even if you have an automatic waterer, as they can leak or pipes can fail/break.  But if you're leaving town for 2 weeks, it's easy enough to have a neighbor come and check daily.  Someone with very limited animal experience can check water and throw a flake of hay over the fence.  A responsible 4-Her wanting to make some extra money could be a boon.  If the animals get out, that's a whole different story, obviously.  

The other concern I have is the cost to start-up.  Even with our current 2 head, today's prices--even if you obtained cattle from an auction yard at the cheapest prices--are substantial.  Animals can/do get sick; vets are highly-specialized professionals so treating them can be costly.  It's a big investment if it doesn't work out.  Like all investments, it's a risk, and a living, breathing risk.  A trailer to transport, gates, etc....

If all goes well, in our area, we can probably make some profit in selling grass-fed beef while indulging my DH's interests in hobby farming and keeping the fire danger down.  We eat mostly wild game and vegetarian, so I've not much interest in the beef, but it's nice to know where your food comes from and what goes into it.

In the 25 years my family raised beef cattle, we broke even most years and made some profit overall; it was never our bread-and-butter.  We siblings paid for quite a bit of college through it.  There can be some tax write-offs.  It's good experience in terms of children learning responsibility and realizing some profit, especially as there are so few work opportunities for kids/young teens. (I can see OP's children are mostly older, but thoughts for someone else reading?)  The daily management is low, but substantial start-up cost and you hope it all works out to pay for itself and a maybe bit more--  

• Like 2

It really amazes me how many people think one can't have animals and travel.  We've had up to 28 ponies at a time... and have chickens + cats and have had a beef cow, pigs, and dogs in the past.

It never stopped us from traveling - really traveling - for a week to two months.  We have neighbors.  Our neighbors have critters too.  All we do is switch off chores - usually for free - for each other.  It's honestly not that difficult. (For one+ month we'd pay extra.)

I'll admit to being awed at the price of hay in other areas too.  We get our round bales for our ponies delivered to us for $30/bale.  One bale lasts two ponies for one week.

Neither ponies/horses nor cows need grain all the time - except in special cases.  Critters in the wild are grass fed.  Meat is often better grass fed.  Most ponies/horses do just fine being mostly grass fed.  We've even had ponies get to National Pony Finals coming from our mostly grass fed place (though once they are sold I'm pretty certain most owners stick with conventional feeding).  It makes me wonder how much it's the grain industry convincing animal owners that critters need grain all the time, twice per day.

We use grain - once in a while.  It helps with worming and training.  We never have our farm sitters give grain while we travel.

Our biggest critter problem (needing care) when we travel were our dogs.  One can't just put food out for dogs.  We haven't had dogs in years and have no plans to get more.

Cats are happy with food put out for them and access to water.

Chickens are fine with food given to them (extra will get through a weekend without supervision) and water.  Those helping enjoy free eggs.

Ponies are fine left with hay/grass and access to water.

Cows/pigs were fine left with hay/grain and access to water.

Plants (inside the house) need water...

But yes folks, one can travel with critters with minimal outside help needed - except for dairy animals.  We opted not to have those.

Yes, one does need good fences!

• Like 3

Oh yeah, starting out is going to be expensive.

For instance, last summer (the prices are a little lower now) our 6 month old, newly weaned calves brought in anywhere from $800-1000. These calves were 500 to 800 pounds.

A cow will sell for 1500 or so. I paid 2500 for a milk cow and her calf.

Don't buy from a sale barn. You'll be buying someone's culls. And you could be buying diseases and other people's problem cows.

• Like 2

Thanks for the input. Not sure what we will do. We do have fencing...5 strand electric rope and a large run in for shelter.

We do trade critter chores when we travel. If we keep 3 horses then we would not do a cow.

Hay here is $4/bale for 60 pound bales, less per pound if you buy round bales or "cow" hay which is lesser quality.

• Like 1

Wow.

I'm just in awe over your hay prices and whatnot. And ability to travel.

I don't have neighbors, and must pay someone to take care of our critters. $35+ per day. Assuming they can handle the horses. That's rare. Forget finding someone willing or able to milk goats.

I will not feed round bales to horses. Cheapest hay here (worth feeding to horses) is $6+ per bale...if I'm really lucky. I generally pay $7.50-$10 for grass hay, $20 for alfalfa.

There is no amount of grass that will keep weight on my ulcer-prone, off the track thoroughbred or my 27-year old mare.

I spend far more per month to feed 4 horses than I do my family of four humans. Lol

My only experience with beef cattle was at a farm I worked at. The escaped the fence and were promptly shot by the local cops. It was not a nice experience, as you can imagine.

I will not feed round bales to horses. Cheapest hay here (worth feeding to horses) is $6+ per bale...if I'm really lucky. I generally pay $7.50-$10 for grass hay, $20 for alfalfa.

There is no amount of grass that will keep weight on my ulcer-prone, off the track thoroughbred or my 27-year old mare.

I know there are some who feel that way about round bales, but around here, even many of the racing breeders use them.  Pretty much all of us showing breeders use them.  I can't think of a single time there's been trouble.  Every now and then there's a bad bale, but equines won't eat it (unless they are desperate).  Keeping enough hay as options for them and removing any bale they won't touch is the key if anyone is considering this.

And of course, for cows, hay quality doesn't matter nearly as much.

Your last statement about your horses needing grain is an example of some of those exceptions I mentioned in my first post.  ;)  There definitely are some, but it's not the majority.  Now that my boys don't need them, we rarely have much older ponies here.  Once they are retired from breeding we sell them back as riding ponies.  Older ponies tend to work great for beginners.

I know there are some who feel that way about round bales, but around here, even many of the racing breeders use them.  Pretty much all of us showing breeders use them.  I can't think of a single time there's been trouble.  Every now and then there's a bad bale, but equines won't eat it (unless they are desperate).  Keeping enough hay as options for them and removing any bale they won't touch is the key if anyone is considering this.

And of course, for cows, hay quality doesn't matter nearly as much.

Your last statement about your horses needing grain is an example of some of those exceptions I mentioned in my first post.   ;)  There definitely are some, but it's not the majority.  Now that my boys don't need them, we rarely have much older ponies here.  Once they are retired from breeding we sell them back as riding ponies.  Older ponies tend to work great for beginners.

We use rolled hay. But my dh cuts it so we know its good stuff. The horses take the good stuff, the cows eat the leftovers. They seem happy with the arrangement.

• Like 2

Around here it is the wintering over that is expensive if you aren't harvesting your own hay and grain.

If you don't have the means to grow your own feed, I am not certain it would be worth it as you have to grow the things out for two years, and two winters of hay and grain is pricey, especially so if you want higher quality.

• Like 2

Wow.

I'm just in awe over your hay prices and whatnot. And ability to travel.

I don't have neighbors, and must pay someone to take care of our critters. $35+ per day. Assuming they can handle the horses. That's rare. Forget finding someone willing or able to milk goats.

I spend far more per month to feed 4 horses than I do my family of four humans. Lol

My only experience with beef cattle was at a farm I worked at. The escaped the fence and were promptly shot by the local cops. It was not a nice experience, as you can imagine.

There are very, very few people here that farm sit so yes, it is expensive. My son gets $35.00 a day for twice a day chores at my friend's farm - four horses, five llamas, small flock of chickens, herd dog (sheep are gone but when she had the flock she paid him $50.00 per day and more if she had to be gone during lambing season), two ducks, and barn cats.

Decent hay here is $8.00 a bale. Alfalfa about the same as you quoted.

The only reason she gets away is because my sons are available, excellent with horses, and love the work. Prior to that, it was quite rare for her to have a day off, much less a vacation. It is one reason we opted not to keep livestock though we had the land to do so and originally were interested. One by one they are all going to college and while I also love doing chores for my friend, I also travel a bit so she is going to have to figure out what to do.

Don't buy from a sale barn. You'll be buying someone's culls. And you could be buying diseases and other people's problem cows.

This. is. very. important.  The exposure to all sorts of diseases/viruses is high!

I also wanted to add, depending on where you are located, a good mineral package is vital.  I see death & destruction often in back yard herds from lack of selenium in my neck of the woods.  The typical red salt blocks do not cut it in my area!! 

• Like 1

I had just over 700 beef cattle with 2 horses, that got along well.

Except that I'm sure that one of the horses, used to 'Moo' sometimes?

The main thing, is the availability of grass year round.

As that is where their could be some expense?

With water, water troughs are better than a dam or stream.

As they can't walk into water trough.

When a cow walks into a dam or stream, their legs tend to sink into the mud.

Where I can say that you don't want to find yourself in this situation?

Though with beef cattle, if they have grass, water and a fence to keep out any intruders?

They are very happy and don't need any help.

But one further question, in relation to fences?

Is whether you have a fence around your house, to keep them outside?

I didn't have such a fence, and cows are very curious?

Where one day, I left my front door open?

Standing in my kitchen, I suddenly heard a lot of noise?

Maybe you can imagine the situation, where you walk into your lounge room.

To find a cow standing there, watching the TV ?

Where the cow was just as stunned as me!

It wasn't easy, to direct the cow back to the passage, to get out the front door.

So that I would just suggest, that you don't leave your front or back door open.

While you wrote about raising the cows for meat?

Their is also some pleasure, in looking out at some cows in the field.

• Like 2

It really amazes me how many people think one can't have animals and travel. We've had up to 28 ponies at a time... and have chickens + cats and have had a beef cow, pigs, and dogs in the past.

It never stopped us from traveling - really traveling - for a week to two months. We have neighbors. Our neighbors have critters too. All we do is switch off chores - usually for free - for each other. It's honestly not that difficult. (For one+ month we'd pay extra.)

I'll admit to being awed at the price of hay in other areas too. We get our round bales for our ponies delivered to us for $30/bale. One bale lasts two ponies for one week.

Neither ponies/horses nor cows need grain all the time - except in special cases. Critters in the wild are grass fed. Meat is often better grass fed. Most ponies/horses do just fine being mostly grass fed. We've even had ponies get to National Pony Finals coming from our mostly grass fed place (though once they are sold I'm pretty certain most owners stick with conventional feeding). It makes me wonder how much it's the grain industry convincing animal owners that critters need grain all the time, twice per day.

We use grain - once in a while. It helps with worming and training. We never have our farm sitters give grain while we travel.

Our biggest critter problem (needing care) when we travel were our dogs. One can't just put food out for dogs. We haven't had dogs in years and have no plans to get more.

Cats are happy with food put out for them and access to water.

Chickens are fine with food given to them (extra will get through a weekend without supervision) and water. Those helping enjoy free eggs.

Ponies are fine left with hay/grass and access to water.

Cows/pigs were fine left with hay/grain and access to water.

Plants (inside the house) need water...

But yes folks, one can travel with critters with minimal outside help needed - except for dairy animals. We opted not to have those.

Yes, one does need good fences!

I agree that it does not mean you can't travel. However, many people do not have your kind of neighbors. My sons are literally the only farm sitters in a twenty mile raidus and through 4H I have learned that many of our local livestock owners do not get away for this reason. It is common for dad to go many years without a vacation while mom takes the kids and goes away. So I think that people should have a plan in place and arrangements made with a local hand before investing in livestock and then being surprised if they cannot get help, or fail to budget for paid help. Edited by FaithManor
  • Like 1

If you only get 1-2, they won't be beef cows, they will be pets. Ask me how I know this. My last beef cow died of old age years ago. :o

Not all of us are like this - your cows were lucky.  Our steers were named T Bone and Sir Loin and fulfilled their destinies. 

Our pigs were named Bacon, Sausage, Pork Chop, & Babe.  They were all tasty.

Not even our boys were upset when the day came... we all enjoyed the first meal afterward.

It all depends upon the people involved I suppose.

• Like 1

I agree that it does not mean you can't travel. However, many people do not have your mind lf neighbors. My sons are literally the only farm sitters in a twenty mile raidus and through 4H I have learned that many of our local livestock owners do not get away for this reason. It is common for dad to go many years without a vacation while mom takes the kids and goes away. So I think that people should have a plan in place and arrangements made with a local hand before investing in livestock and then being surprised if they cannot get help, or fail to budget for paid help.

Perhaps true, but it was the same where I was growing up as it is where we live now.

I'll admit I like it that way!

Dairy folks have issues with travel, for sure, but "normal" critters?  If neighbors also have critters and travel... it works out quite nicely.

We know three of our neighbors places inside and out - and ditto them for us.

We just got back home from a three week trip and all is well!

The happiest to see us?  Our cats.   :coolgleamA:   I just had to take about a 45 minute break from catching up on things to sit with one.  He finally hopped down.  It's mutual.  I missed him too.  We're pretty inseparable when he's inside - though he loves the Great Outdoors so isn't in too much - more in hot/cold weather of course.  ;)

Not all of us are like this - your cows were lucky. Our steers were named T Bone and Sir Loin and fulfilled their destinies.

Our pigs were named Bacon, Sausage, Pork Chop, & Babe. They were all tasty.

Not even our boys were upset when the day came... we all enjoyed the first meal afterward.

It all depends upon the people involved I suppose.

Snicker, snicker...the last pig we ever raised was named "Short rib" and I thanked him for his sacrifice so I could avert being cannibalized by hungry boys!

• Like 2

You guys just don't get it--the idea is to have SO many critters that you have a hired hand! Problem solved!  :laugh:

Hmm, do the grapefruit, oranges, and NC BBQ we just took over to our neighbors count?  

Maybe that's what we have and I just don't realize it?   :lol:

• Like 1

Perhaps true, but it was the same where I was growing up as it is where we live now.

I'll admit I like it that way!

Dairy folks have issues with travel, for sure, but "normal" critters?  If neighbors also have critters and travel... it works out quite nicely.

We know three of our neighbors places inside and out - and ditto them for us.

We just got back home from a three week trip and all is well!

The happiest to see us?  Our cats.   :coolgleamA:   I just had to take about a 45 minute break from catching up on things to sit with one.  He finally hopped down.  It's mutual.  I missed him too.  We're pretty inseparable when he's inside - though he loves the Great Outdoors so isn't in too much - more in hot/cold weather of course.   ;)

You probably live in an area with more young people and middle aged. Unfortunately, our area is dying out in terms of youth, and the average age of residents is getting into retirement age, hence the significantly lower school enrollments. I think there are far less people to help with such things than their used to be. Still, I love my friends farm, and her critters are my special friends so as long as I live here, I'll be helping her out. She's a great buddy. I don't have a farm for her to trade chores on, but when our grandson came five weeks early while we were in Egypt, she got my teen boys to do chores for her, and jumped in a car, drove to Albany, and took care of dd and hubby, practically living at the hospital and making sure they had home cooked food since I couldn't get home to do it myself.

I prefer the neighborly way. I just know that many of the 4-H families report that its getting harder and harder to get help on their farms as their neighbors are by in large elderly and not in good health. It's something to consider before jumping into livestock. Make sure you have a plan before you invest.

And for what it is worth, snuggling a horse at 7 am is the very best way to start the day. First coffee, then horse hugs. It doesn't get better than that, though I admit that about the time the lambs really start playing, scooping one up and snuggling it against its wiggly will, ranks very, very high on the fulfillment scale!

• Like 2

(Just have a minute here.)

We just raised two steer for the first time, and it was a great experience for us.  The meat is really tasty...better than anything store bought.  All of our friends and family have been asking us to raise for them after they have tasted our beef.  (We are just going to stick to raising for our family.)

Our steer were all grass fed with a little bit of supplemental hay the last two months when the grass was almost gone.  We slaughtered them before they got to be expensive.  After butchering fees, etc., our steer cost about the same as CAFO meat from Costco or Safeway.  The price for grass fed in our area is triple what you pay for store meat, so we ended up saving money.  Our kids eat a ton of meat.  We thought it was definitely worth it, and will do it again.

We also raise pasture chickens (oh my goodness, so good), and we thought our steer were easier than the chickens.

Fences are REALLY important.  Our steer broke through the fences twice, and that was really scary.  We have some good stories from rounding them up, though.

The kids initially liked the steer, but after one of them came close to charging my son, they decided that they hated them.  For weeks, they would look out in the pasture and scream, "WE WANT HAMBURGER!!"  They watched the field dressing, and had a great lesson on organs that day.  :)  I was the one who cried, lol.  (I was a vegetarian for 13 years).

If you have great fencing and can raise them on pasture, I say go for it!  Be sure to get two, though.  They are herd animals.

Good luck!

• Like 2

This thread has been fascinating.  Thank you everybody for sharing your experience.

For the person who mentioned Ree Drummond/Pioneer Woman, her husband's family is one of the largest land owners (#17) in the country.  They own over 433,000 acres.  They have 150,000 head of "stockers" according to this article. 

I mentioned Ree because her blog is where I learned the very little I know about raising cattle.  Where I live people are dairy farmers and they seem to be a lot of work, what with milking chores and all. I figured cattle were kind of like kids- one is a lot of work but three or six aren't all that much more work. 

This thread has been interesting! And those of you who shared the names of your pigs and cows- thanks for the laughs! 

• Like 1

The kids initially liked the steer, but after one of them came close to charging my son, they decided that they hated them.  For weeks, they would look out in the pasture and scream, "WE WANT HAMBURGER!!"  They watched the field dressing, and had a great lesson on organs that day.  :)  

I still think it's ultimately personality, but overall, I can't think of a farm kid I know who has opted to go vegetarian due to "the animals."  I'm sure there are some out there - which is why I suspect it's personality as the bottom line.  But the vast majority of those I come across who live/work on farms see animals as they are.  Those who grow up with the Disney version (animal families - papa caring for their young, etc) are more likely to not want to eat them.  The correlation is true among students I see at school anyway.  Esp in Bio or Health classes, it can come up in discussion fairly often since humans are Omnivores and we discuss what that means.

When we brought home our first pigs our kids tried to treat them like kittens or puppies.  That sure didn't last long since the pigs kept acting like pigs.  They found out Charlotte's Web was a fictional book!  (I forgot earlier when naming, but we had one named Wilbur in there too.  His name came AFTER our first three - as did Babe.)  Our boys were super eager to see slaughtering season get here.  They also have no issues with hunting Bambi or his mother or taking out nuisance animals like foxes.  There's Disney's life of critters and then there's Real life of critters.  

The folks most likely to get injured by horses or ponies are those who have watched too many horse movies or read too many books and let the equines take charge "since they're my friends."  We will not sell young ponies to anyone without decent actual experience.  It's way too dangerous for all involved and I don't want any of my ponies to be given a bum deal in life by having been raised by someone who lets them get bad manners!  They could hurt someone and be hurt themselves.  When we get calls asking if we have any "Spirit colored," I know I have to spend about half an hour on the phone trying to educate a mom or dad in an effort to save little Sally.

Note to anyone considering meat animals:  Be sure to warn your young children against giving out too many details when asked "What did you do yesterday?"  Our youngest had his Sunday School class pretty green one day after we slaughtered chickens.  He was thrilled to share.   :tongue_smilie:

• Like 2

True enough about having actual experience. I was a vegetarian for over a decade, although later health issues had me back on meat at least partially. Then I was doing my large animal rotation for vet tech school and met some beef cattle. Those things were NOT friendly. Honestly, i remember leaving thinking they would eat me if their digestion would allow it! I felt much less bad about it afterwards. 

That said, the Bhrama cattle I've met were totally sweet. I wouldn't eat those. But the regular old beef cows I met were total jerks. And those were ones that had been raised by 4-H kids, so were more tame than most I imagine. 

• Like 1

I still think it's ultimately personality, but overall, I can't think of a farm kid I know who has opted to go vegetarian due to "the animals."  I'm sure there are some out there - which is why I suspect it's personality as the bottom line.  But the vast majority of those I come across who live/work on farms see animals as they are.  Those who grow up with the Disney version (animal families - papa caring for their young, etc) are more likely to not want to eat them.  The correlation is true among students I see at school anyway.  Esp in Bio or Health classes, it can come up in discussion fairly often since humans are Omnivores and we discuss what that means.

When we brought home our first pigs our kids tried to treat them like kittens or puppies.  That sure didn't last long since the pigs kept acting like pigs.  They found out Charlotte's Web was a fictional book!  (I forgot earlier when naming, but we had one named Wilbur in there too.  His name came AFTER our first three - as did Babe.)  Our boys were super eager to see slaughtering season get here.  They also have no issues with hunting Bambi or his mother or taking out nuisance animals like foxes.  There's Disney's life of critters and then there's Real life of critters.  

The folks most likely to get injured by horses or ponies are those who have watched too many horse movies or read too many books and let the equines take charge "since they're my friends."  We will not sell young ponies to anyone without decent actual experience.  It's way too dangerous for all involved and I don't want any of my ponies to be given a bum deal in life by having been raised by someone who lets them get bad manners!  They could hurt someone and be hurt themselves.  When we get calls asking if we have any "Spirit colored," I know I have to spend about half an hour on the phone trying to educate a mom or dad in an effort to save little Sally.

Note to anyone considering meat animals:  Be sure to warn your young children against giving out too many details when asked "What did you do yesterday?"  Our youngest had his Sunday School class pretty green one day after we slaughtered chickens.  He was thrilled to share.   :tongue_smilie:

Yeah my horse friend says that the hardest part about ponies is that they're often so small that to be trained to ride, only mean little 12 yr old boys can work them (generally). That's the main reason that many ponies have a bad rep for behavior. They're often trained inconsistently by kids too young to have such a responsibility. And even if they look small and cute, they can be aggressive and dangerous. Several hundred pounds of undisicplined muscle can hurt someone badly.

• Like 1

True enough about having actual experience. I was a vegetarian for over a decade, although later health issues had me back on meat at least partially. Then I was doing my large animal rotation for vet tech school and met some beef cattle. Those things were NOT friendly. Honestly, i remember leaving thinking they would eat me if their digestion would allow it! I felt much less bad about it afterwards. 

That said, the Bhrama cattle I've met were totally sweet. I wouldn't eat those. But the regular old beef cows I met were total jerks. And those were ones that had been raised by 4-H kids, so were more tame than most I imagine. 

For beef cows, the ones I've hated most are the hand/bottle raised ones. Oh, those cows do not respect people at all. And beefers are rather assertive on the whole, so they need to have a decent respect for humans. We would NEVER keep a bull that was bottle fed. NEVER.

Our beef cows are pretty gentle, but we do breed for docility.

I do love milk cows though. They're so so sweet.

• Like 1