Menu

buying bikes for your kids

ProudGrandma

it seems like whenever we buy bikes for our kids, the breaks go bad long before they outgrow their bikes.  However, because they do eventually outgrow their bikes we don't want to buy very expensive bikes...but I am wondering if we are going about this all the wrong way.

So, where do you buy your (bigger kids) bikes? 

OR how do you fix the breaks when they stop working?  

OR is there some other thing we are just simply not considering?

thanks.

I don't know, we always just buy WalMart cheapo stinko bikes and we haven't had this problem.  Perhaps we don't ride bikes enough.  (So far my kids have gone about 3 years between new bikes.)

Did you check the air in the tires?

Edited by SKL

Can you take the bikes in to your local shop? Tune ups aren't very expensive. Or if you are handy, try a book like Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance.

We buy high end bikes since DS races cyclocross and competes in triathlons, but brakes shouldn't cause issues other than normal wear and tear.

• Like 2

wow....we have had more problems with breaks on our kid's bikes.  Why would that be?  We buy cheapo bikes from Wal-mart or Target...but this has happened more than once.  We keep the tires pumped.  We live in the middle of nowhere...and there are no bike repair shops anywhere close.  

Sigh!  thanks.

What exactly is going wrong with the brakes? Are the brake pads wearing out? That would be a relatively easy fix. If it's something to do with the cables, could it be possible that the kids are pulling on them? If you're not sure what exactly is wrong, have a bike shop tell you. Otherwise, even with an expensive bike you might end up having the same problem again, depending on what's causing it.

• Like 3

If the wheels aren't aligned properly they could be rubbing on the brake pads, causing them to wear out quicker. Likewise if your kids engage their brakes while riding. I can't think of too many other scenarios that would cause so many issues--can you elaborate on what kind of problems you are having?

Are you talking about hand brakes or coaster brakes? You can adjust coaster brakes- it might seem like they aren't working, but they really might just need adjusting.  Kind of like how a parking brake on your car might seem to not be working but once it's adjusted it works just fine. If it's hand brakes, replacing them with quality parts from a bike shop isn't expensive.   A good bike shop will be friendly to you even if you bring in a Walmart bike- if they are snooty, keep looking for a shop that is worth your business.  We used three or four shops before we found the right fit but it makes all the difference.

We have two cheapo kid bikes and haven't had any brake issues. One has been in near daily use for 5 years, the other for two.

You should be able to YouTube the problem to figure out the repair. Maybe the person who is assembling the bikes where you purchased them isn't doing a very good job. You may also check and see if there are any local cycling clubs, maybe someone there would be willing to help you out.

If you want a different brand for the future, I grew up riding Treks and Raleigh, they are great bikes. A couple of my siblings had Specialized bikes. They are a lot more expensive than Walmart bikes though so it is an investment. We decided to wait until our kids are older and prove they can take care of a bike before getting them a more expensive brand. I do see them on Craigslist from time to time though.

We only have brake issues with the cheap bike from a store like walmart, which is DS's right now.  DH is constantly fixing those brakes.  So, yes, bike maintenance is the key.  It has issues with staying in gear and the chain coming off as well.  I'll be happy when that bike is outgrown.

Our other kid bikes aren't anything to write home about, they are hand me downs and freebies.  I think they are better brands, but still, surprises me that the only one we've bought new is the one with issues.

We buy bikes at Target or Wal-Mart.  Haven't had an issue with brakes, but have had an issue with tires and chains (easily fixable).

My nephew was able to pick up some bikes for the kids at a garage sale and then fix them.  (He fixes lawn mowers and other equipment for a living.)  These were Schwinns...probably from the 80s or even 70s, and were the best bikes we ever owned.  I was sad when the kids outgrew them.

We inherited a Trek bike from my friend, and I can tell it's much better than the Walmart/Target bikes.  So can the two eldest who can ride them.  I think we'll watch garage sales and such and look for better bikes as they hit the teen years.   Then I'll see if my nephew wants to go on a Florida vacation. ;)

Here are some good online resources for bike maintenance

www.parktool.com

www.sheldonbrown.com

www.bikeforums.net

Those three along with youtube should just about cover any bike maintenance you need to do.

I would caution you that WM quality bikes aren't made with the best components.  As such, there's only so much you can do with them maintenance-wise and tuning-wise.

• Like 1