Menu

College Spring Break

G5052

Well, kind of.

My break and DS's break don't match, but at least he was able to relax yesterday. We had to do some work in a drainage ditch, but it was mostly downtime for him.

Today I took him for early, out-of-state surgery, and we made it home.

He has PT on both Wednesday and Friday, and I'll take him and do errands.

Poor kid! At least he doesn't have classes and assignments this week.

Edited by G5052

My current spring breaker is studying for the MCAT - down at the shoreline of our campsite.

We mused that at least if he has to study, it's a gorgeous spot.  I'm sure he'd rather be out kayaking, but he's my driven lad, so won't opt to change.

My other spring breaker will be coming home to help plant the garden the end of this month.  He doesn't have his break now, but we've still been meeting for some meals, occasional games, and we splurged on a day at Busch Gardens Sunday.

Hubby is working on projects - pretty much the same as my studier.

I guess I'm the only one getting a true spring break - except I won't do kayaks or other fun stuff when they can't either.  It doesn't seem fair.  I've been reading (book) and musing on the computer now and then.  Then I've been figuring out our daily schedule, etc.  Tonight we're going out to a favorite restaurant.  Tomorrow night we're going to the dog track.  Thursday we're going to go further south and visit relatives I like that I haven't seen IRL in 9 years.  That will leave us Friday and Saturday to still figure out.  A bit will depend upon how much MCAT boy wants to study.

• Like 1

ours don't match either. DD is coming home next week Friday - so excited. the week she will be home will be an insanely busy one for me, big test plus advising week. I hope we can spend some time together.

DH and I are planning to drive her back to school when her break ends and spend an extra day there. our break will be the following week.

Drat!  Literally just had to cancel the trip to see my aunt & uncle on Thursday.  They've both fallen in the past week (didn't tell me) and aren't healing up like they would have in their younger years.  My aunt broke both her arm and leg.  My uncle got glass in his eye and hit his chest.  He just had heart bypass surgery right after Christmas, so that can't feel good.

I honestly offered to go and just sit with them and take care of any cleaning or errands they needed, but was told they simply didn't feel up to it and had neighbors who were helping them out.  For the first time in my life, my uncle sounded depressed.  I wish he'd have let me come and just sit with them, but I'll respect his wishes to be left alone.  He said they both just feel like sleeping.  I can understand that given their circumstances.

Hopefully we'll be able to see them this summer.  It sure puts a bum note on this spring break trip though.  A huge bum note.

• Like 1

Sorry creekland :grouphug:

Older dd will work all spring break week. Younger dd is arranging her work with me so that she'll only have her outsourced English class during her university-class spring break.

And ds is coming home for a week around Easter :party:

• Like 1

Spring Break here hadn't been very break-y. 

My oldest still has to work, and still has some homework to do over break.

My DE student's co-op spring break isn't until next week, although our college spring break is this week.  She has school and homework for both weeks.  Plus she had a college visit trip Monday and a job interview today.

My own spring break has been a series of appointments and road trips that have left me feeling very unrelaxed..lol.  I declared tomorrow a true break day.  

Youngest DS is technically in high school but is taking all college classes and his school is on break this week.  We're doing a tour of a local four year college tomorrow, and he has a Quiz Bowl competition Thursday night.  We're getting ready to move, so we don't really have time to do anything else.  Oldest DS will be on break next week and is heading to Florida.  I can't say I'm thrilled about that, but he's an adult and is using his own money, so   . .  whatever.  I just hope he stays safe and has fun.

Edited by Pawz4me

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  Creekland.

My guy was on spring break last week which was pretty early, but final exams are the third week of April so I guess that was about half way through the semester. We had a snow storm so he spent a good portion of it in his apartment near campus instead of coming home. But, he made it for the weekend, and we had a lot of fun with him. He hung out with the rocket team some, helped supervise a local youth event, and of course, asked for help getting his laundry caught up, LOL.

• Like 1

DE child is on spring break this week. College student will be home Friday night. Dd has some catch up to do in her online class and some studying to do for a CLEP this week. Ds has midterms the week after break, so I'm guessing he'll spend a lot of time studying. I'm a little sad that they don't have break together, but they both have March birthdays and were both off school on their birthday. We always took their birthdays off when we were homeschooling. It was fun that they didn't have to give up that tradition - yet.

• Like 2

From middle son's FB page earlier today:

Because studying for the MCAT doesn't always have to be miserable... #SpringBreak #Florida

12832567_805251696274460_139618975631664

The lad already has over 80 likes from his friends too.

I trust he's happy with our decision to come here and visit with his brother a little rather than fly him home to PA - even if the bulk of his time is spent studying. (MCAT and Anatomy as he has two tests in that when he returns - the MCAT is April 1st)

• Like 10

Our spring break is next week. I will writing a take home mid term essay, outlining a longer paper, and organizing a new round of information for my honor's project. On top of that I have a doctor's appointment which I am dreading because I.do.not. like.this.man. Then I have to help my mom with her taxes and get her and ds to help me with a faux mediation for a class. I'm also supposed to finish writing a piece for anthology to support cancer research. At some point I will sleep. 

Ds is working on some projects and will probably sleep 14 hours a day. 

• Like 1

Dd is swing dancing her break away. I'm enjoying lots of visit time!  :thumbup: 

Ds is leaving for his new job in CA in ten days, so we are doing lots of "lasts", including a birthday celebration six weeks early since we'll be 3000 miles apart on his birthday!  :ohmy: 

We are seizing each and every day together. My house will (for the first time) be an empty nest on March 19.

• Like 1

My son is "home" this week. (The quotation marks indicate that even when he's in town, he's rarely actually in the house.)

He's hanging out with his girlfriend and working on one of their many projects and hitting some theme parks. 

Today is his 18th birthday, and we did have family plans. However, we had some tension between my husband and son the other night and, although everyone is being very calm and polite, they jointly decided that forcing "family fun" today wasn't likely to be especially meaningful for anyone. So, my son made plans with friends, and we're going to circle back and do an official birthday celebration in a few weeks.

I'm a little bummed, but I'm using the day to catch up on the laundry he brought home from campus and dye my hair and a few other tasks. 

Tonight, he's going to a dance class taught by the man who will be directing the summer musical at one of our local community theatres, trying to make an early good impression. We'll have some ice cream when he gets home after the class.

... we've still been meeting for some meals, occasional games, and we splurged on a day at Busch Gardens Sunday.

Hey!  You must be in my neck of the woods.  Hope you are enjoying the beautiful weather we're having.  :seeya: Have you been out to Egmont Key?  I took my sister out there last weekend.  Very nice.

Edited by Sue in St Pete
  • Like 1

Hey!  You must be in my neck of the woods.  Hope you are enjoying the beautiful weather we're having.  :seeya: Have you been out to Egmont Key?  I took my sister out there last weekend.  Very nice.

No, but we went to North Beach yesterday - such a nice place.  

This is pretty much a "work relocation" trip more than a vacation.  Both our Spring Breaker and hubby have oodles they need to get accomplished, but they can do it anywhere, so...

We take a couple of hours generally twice a day to do something together - just as we would at home - but the rest of the time is spent working, with a view.  The only exception was Busch Gardens for the whole day.

Of course, what we can do here varies from what we can do at home (beaches, dog track, kayaking, various restaurants), so I guess it's a hybrid trip for them.

I'm the only lazy one since my job is not portable, but I won't go and do something like that while they're working.  That would be kind of mean since they would love it as much as I would.  I don't want them to get jealous.  I'm ok reading and catching up on internet things.

The weather has been perfect!  We thank the local hospitality club!

Edited by creekland
  • Like 2

Ds has been home this week. He worked one day. Was asked to be a last minute sub another day and begged off that. He's been doing research for a major project. I took him out to dinner last night. I was thinking of making a pie for him to take back with him. I've been working everyday. I think he wishes we were around,but I can't stop--must pay tuition. Also it looks like I might have a chance at a much better job so I am also taking a class needed for that.

We survived surgery followed by two PT appointments. All required a lot of driving on my part, but thankfully he'll take over the PT trips next week. The surgeon was adamant that we use his therapist, and we do see some differences compared to the local one.

Hard to believe it's over!

My high schooler and I are off the week of March 21, but we have a lot going on that week. It wouldn't feel like break other than less of a rigid schedule.

DS has been home this week and is headed back tomorrow. He had some medical appointments to follow up on the HSP that he had this semester and other than that he lazed about. He will have more follow ups in May when he gets home for the summer. Kind of an icky break, honestly. But, the weather has been beautiful! 

Both my kids have spring break the week of the 21st.  Ds has a rowing tri-meet on a little island the weekend before (hubby and I get to stay at a resort for the night). Then, I expect his "vacation" will be finishing his Eagle Scout requirements and earning/raising money for a mission trip in July.  Daughter will travel with a couple of girlfriends to Vancouver, B.C. for a couple of days of play, work a day and visit friends.  We all plan to visit my dad on the east coast this summer, so we are keeping expenses down (although I would SOOOO love to head for AZ or some such place with sunshine - NOW).