Menu

Soooo glad FB has other emotions now

Moxie

This one. It's been making the rounds on Facebook.

A girl bought an iPad, when her father saw it, He asked her "What was the 1st thing you did when you bought it?

"I put an anti-scratch sticker on the screen and bought a cover for the iPad" she replied.

"Did someone force you to do so?" "No" "Don't you think it's an insult to the manufacturer?" "No dad! In fact they even recommend using a cover for the iPad"

"Did you cover it because it was cheap & ugly?"

"Actually, I covered it because I didn't want it to get damage and decrease in value."

"When you put the cover on, didn't it reduce the iPad's beauty?"

"I think it looks better and it is worth it for the protection it gives my iPad."

The father looked lovingly at his daughter and said, "Yet if I had asked you to cover your body which is much more precious than the iPad, would you have readily agreed???"

She was mute.....

Indecent dressing and exposure of your body reduces your value and respect.

Who is the audience for this carp?? Has anyone ever read any of these stories and changed their ways?? No, these are just to make people feel better about looking down on others.

• Like 5

I strive to dress modestly, I teach my daughter to dress modestly, and I respect others who dress modestly. However, this type of thing is just embarrassing. If this is aimed at conservative Christian audiences, which I'm guessing it is, I truly don't understand why they don't appeal to Scripture rather than trotting out foolish, nonsensical analogies. 

• Like 3

That kind of crap enrages me. And it can be hurtful in so many different ways. My knee-jerk reaction after reading it the first time was, wow, so someone who has physical damage decreases in value? I mean, since we're comparing humans to iPads here. Guess we should have talked to a plastic surgeon to minimize scarring after dd bit through her lip as a toddler after all...  :glare:  Anyone know what the Blue Book is on a girl with a small amount of "physical damage"? I want to make sure we maximize how many goats we can trade her for when she's old enough.

:cursing:  :cursing:  :cursing:

• Like 6

That which is truly priceless can not lose value. It is incredibly misogynistic to equate any woman with a material object which can lose value if dropped.

And I say that as someone who is generally dressed in totally modest clothes. Heck, my swimsuit gets me mistaken for a very conservative religious person at times as it goes from elbow to calf. (The super modest swimsuit is a function of my too white for my own good very fair skin which burns faster than you can find a frigging sunhat, lol)

• Like 7

It bugs me not just that the theology is cracked, but it is such a bad analogy.  Covering a piece if equipment to protect it isn't really very much like covering a person for reasons of modesty.  Now, if he was talking about wearing elbow pads while roller skating, or a cover to avoid sunburn, that might make sense.

• Like 2

I was looking for the rolling eyes emoticon too ;-)

Someone should show them this:

A well known speaker started off his seminar by holding up a $20 bill. In the room of 200, he asked. "Who would like this $20 bill?"

Hands started going up. He said, "I am going to give this $20 to one of you - but first, let me do this."

He proceeded to crumple the 20 dollar note up. He then asked. "Who still wants it?" Still the hands were up in the air.

"Well," he replied, "what if I do this?" He dropped it on the
ground and started to grind it into the floor with his shoe. He picked it up, now crumpled and dirty. "Now, who still wants it?"

Still the hands went into the air.

"My friends, you have all learned a very valuable lesson. No
matter what I did to the money, you still wanted it because it did not decrease in value. It was still worth $20.
Many times in our lives, we are dropped, crumpled, and ground into the dirt by the decisions we make and the circumstances that come our way. We feel as though we are worthless; but no matter what happened or what will happen, you will never lose your value.

Dirty or clean, crumpled or finely creased, you are still
priceless to those who love you. The worth of our lives comes, not in what we do or who we know, but by ...WHO WE ARE.

• Like 16

A well known speaker started off his seminar by holding up a $20 bill. In the room of 200, he asked. "Who would like this $20 bill?"

Hands started going up. He said, "I am going to give this $20 to one of you - but first, let me do this."

He proceeded to crumple the 20 dollar note up. He then asked. "Who still wants it?" Still the hands were up in the air.

ground and started to grind it into the floor with his shoe. He picked it up, now crumpled and dirty. "Now, who still wants it?"

matter what I did to the money, you still wanted it because it did not decrease in value. It was still worth $20.

Many times in our lives, we are dropped, crumpled, and ground into the dirt by the decisions we make and the circumstances that come our way. We feel as though we are worthless; but no matter what happened or what will happen, you will never lose your value.

priceless to those who love you. The worth of our lives comes, not in what we do or who we know, but by ...WHO WE ARE.

I think I will copy and post this as a comment on the friends I have who have posted the iPad story.  Thank you =)

• Like 4

Love this! The perfect response!

Grrrr...that iPad thing irritated me and I am a Christian who believes in modesty. We are all made in God's image and that is true no matter what you have done or had done to you. Making people feel like worthless garbage because of their past is not Christlike. He hung out with the "undesirables."

I have been guilty in the past of using analogies like the iPad one with teen girls but I have been convicted to never do so again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by need2read

I hate that story.  

I assume she didn't say anything because she was too dismayed at discovering that her own father thinks her value is based on the clothes she wears.

I don't read it that way at all.

But then I couldn't bribe mine to uncover if I tried.  Never an issue so I guess I don't get it, but maybe if I had a kid who was letting it hang out there, I would address it (not like this story though). 

I had to kind of laugh today when my cover page thinks it is NEWS that Kim Kardashian is attacking people who commented on yet another naked picture she put out there.  Bette Midler said something about if Kim wanted us to see any more, she was going to have to swallow a camera - which is a funny comment.  I don't care who you are.

• Like 1

I don't read it that way at all.

But then I couldn't bribe mine to uncover if I tried. Never an issue so I guess I don't get it, but maybe if I had a kid who was letting it hang out there, I would address it (not like this story though).

I had to kind of laugh today when my cover page thinks it is NEWS that Kim Kardashian is attacking people who commented on yet another naked picture she put out there. Bette Midler said something about if Kim wanted us to see any more, she was going to have to swallow a camera - which is a funny comment. I don't care who you are.

The story said that the message the dad was trying to communicate was this:

"Indecent dressing and exposure of your body reduces your value and respect."

There is no human being whose value can be reduced by the clothes they choose to wear (or not wear). I really don't see any other way to interpret that statement and I think it's wrong to try to communicate that to anyone no matter what you think about modesty.

• Like 1

There is no human being whose value can be reduced by the clothes they choose to wear (or not wear). I really don't see any other way to interpret that statement and I think it's wrong to try to communicate that to anyone no matter what you think about modesty.

Just the idea that different human beings have different levels of value makes me ill. We're people with feelings, not merchandise being sold.

• Like 1

I hear it as, "Indecent dressing gives a perception that you wish others to be viewing you in a sexual way, and will change the responses you get."

Which it will.  Not by all, but enough to make it not worth it. 

Nowhere does that imply the person isn't worth as much; it merely implies that others may view the undressed person in a baser way.  No one wants that. 

All true. 

Edited by TranquilMind

I hear it as, "Indecent dressing gives a perception that you wish others to be viewing you in a sexual way, and will change the responses you get."

Which it will. Not by all, but enough to make it not worth it.

Nowhere does that imply the person isn't worth as much; it merely implies that others may view the undressed person in a baser way. No one wants that.

All true.

The story says it reduces your value. That's kind of the definition of "not being worth as much."

• Like 1

Which it will. Not by all, but enough to make it not worth it.

Nowhere does that imply the person isn't worth as much; it merely implies that others may view the undressed person in a baser way. No one wants that.

All true.

I gave a direct quote from the OP's example. I don't think you can reword it to fit your interpretation.

• Like 1

I gave a direct quote from the OP's example. I don't think you can reword it to fit your interpretation.

Well someone definitely worded that badly. 

But I simply don't think that is the intent of parents who want their daughters to cover up.  Again, it isn't my problem that I have had (had other problems!). 

Well someone definitely worded that badly.

But I simply don't think that is the intent of parents who want their daughters to cover up. Again, it isn't my problem that I have had (had other problems!).

I agree that isn't necessarily the intent of parents who want their children (sons and daughters) to dress appropriately (as I do). But this discussion is about that particular story and harmful examples like this do not help those who want to promote modesty. There's no need to defend this example and I didn't feel that the OP was necessarily attacking the idea of dressing modestly at all. This is about how modesty is being taught in a harmful way by tying it to a person's value. Edited by Amira
  • Like 1

Touché!

The only other emoticon option I actually think necessary is "dislike." You can empathize without liking something.

While kinda brilliant, that eye rolling smilie would probably just land me in a lotta drama.