Menu

Dishes for oven recommendations

skimomma

Ater scraping yet another meal off of the bottom of my oven while black smoke fills my house and I'm calling for pizza delivery, I am ready to find another way.

Dh works two full time jobs.  I work two part-time jobs and homeschool.  We eat a great deal of leftovers and often 12 yo dd is home alone heating up her own food.  We do not have a microwave and do not plan to get one.

We reheat most leftovers in the oven.   This is my preferred method because things can be reheating while I am doing other things like cleaning, showering, school, etc....  And it works best for most of the types of leftovers we eat like casseroles or combos of multiple types of food on one plate.  

I have "oven safe" Lenox "every day" china.  One by one, we have picked off the plates because they break in the oven.  Not only does the plate break but the food spills onto the bottom of the oven and makes a big smokey mess.  

This happened again tonight.  I was reheating two plates of Indian food.....stir fry cabbage, rice, and dal.  One broke.  Before I realized it, I had smoke billowing out of the kitchen.  The broken-plate-food was all over the bottom of the oven and the non-broken-plate-food is a smoky mess.  My was-this-really-a-good-idea(?) networked fire alarms blared for 20 minutes straight, despite me whacking them with a broom.  Every window is open even though it is 20 degrees. Pizza is on its way.  Oven was pre-heated to 350 before I put the plates in.  Thank goodness I was home and dd did not have to deal with this on her own.

What am I doing wrong?  What sort of vessels should I procure for this application?  Granted, my Lenox is 20 years old and has likely cycled through the oven at least once weekly during that time.  I have had Pyrex shatter, more than once and in a way I do not ever want to experience again, so unless we are talking full-on casserole or pie, I do not use that.  Is Fiestaware a good choice?    Or are plates in general not really ever "oven safe?"

I use polish pottery in the oven all the time. But, when I reheat, I put the dishes in while the oven heats, so the dish & oven heat at the same time. No breakage. Usually, by the time the oven beeps 350 (or whatever), the heating is done :). 

Hmmmm.....  I have never had a break when I do this but have also been told multiple times that putting plates in the oven before it is pre-heated is a breakage danger because the elements/flame are highest when pre-heating.  Maybe this is incorrect?

• Like 1

I don't think I'd put more of those plates in the oven!

We reheat in Pyrex. I have a couple of sets from Amazon and Costco. Eventually they get chipped or something from handling, but I haven't had one explode. It is possible, but it hasn't happened to me. You could use metal. That won't explode! :)

• Like 1

I have never put my Fiesta Ware in oven, doubt it would work well.

I have some thick Corningware items that seem to do well, and work for just one person.  Versions I like are a large mug like thing (usually used as a mug) which also came with a plastic top for putting in fridge, but I don't use the top lid part. And a bowl like thing with a part that sticks out handle-like on side that I think was called a "grab it."  I have sometimes also used Corelle dishes, but I gather they may not be as durable as they used to be. Ours have always worked in terms of not breaking in the oven, but I don't so much like the way food tends to burn on to them, and that they tend to make people forget that they are hot! and not to touch without protection.

In any of these cases I usually let the dish type item heat up slowly along with the food in it, and I then move the food to something that is not burning hot when it is ready.  I am also careful to not move a very hot dish to a very cold surface such as the sink, b/c that sudden change can cause cracking. We have an electric oven if that is relevant, and I don't use a rack right by the burners. Also we usually have things like cookie sheets (for heating pizza, etc.) and an oven liner which get left in oven most of the time and the dish would usually go on that, which could protect it to some degree, I don't know.

I also have used cast iron (which is not a dish), which won't explode so far as I know, but has to be heated gradually or it can warp.

I use covered pyrex or a glass pie plate with foil on it. Then transfer to a plate when serving.  I really like the covered pyrex because the glass lid keeps the food from drying out. 

I do put my Fiesta in the oven to keep things hot- like when I have meat that's ready but needs to stay warm until we're ready to eat. But it's more to keep things warm, not heat them. So the temp isn't very high. 

I am thinking perhaps I should invest in a bunch of round metal cake pans.  That is probably the only safe option for heating when dd is home alone.  Most come with a non-stick finish so the food would have to be transferred to eat.  I don't like having he extra dishes and the transfer would be a potential burn risk time, but might be mo only option.

I was hoping ceramic was an option because our house is very cold in the winter and the plate keeps the food warmer while eating.  But I am nervous about pyrex because I have had it shatter and it is a much bigger deal than a cracked plate.  I was also hoping to use this as an excuse to buy the Fiestaware I have been pining over for years:)

I'd use metal pans, or oven-type mini casserole dishes, or (new-bought) Pyrex (or other oven-glass) only.

Plates are simply not made to be cooking vessels.

Pyrex is only a danger if it is flawed, chipped or extremely old. Otherwise it has an excellent safety record. Anything newly bought that does not get damaged as you use it should be fine.

Pie plates would be a good candidate for one-meal type servings.

• Like 1

I'd use metal pans, or oven-type mini casserole dishes, or (new-bought) Pyrex (or other oven-glass) only.

Plates are simply not made to be cooking vessels.

Pyrex is only a danger if it is flawed, chipped or extremely old. Otherwise it has an excellent safety record. Anything newly bought that does not get damaged as you use it should be fine.

Pie plates would be a good candidate for one-meal type servings.

My two pyrex shatter incidents were new and not obviously damaged in any way.  Both casserole pans.  One was fully loaded with a potato gratin and the other was a bunch of whole potatoes being baked.  My old stuff and more bowl-like pyrex has never been a problem.

So why does my Lenox plates say "oven safe" on the back?

What would you say a "mini casserole dish" is?

Pie plates might be a good choice.  Does it matter if the entire surface is not covered in food (think a square of lasagna in one spot, a pile of broccoli in another...)?

I think "oven safe" means more like being kept warm in a low oven, not so much being used as a cooking vessel at normal temps.

Just at a glance, these seem to be pretty much what I'm thinking of as a mini casserole dish:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0088OKPFU?psc=1

I have no idea what's going on with your Pyrex. I've heard that trouble is rare... But aparently not for you. I hope you find a solution.

Edited by bolt.
  • Like 3

Pampered Chef has a stoneware dish with 3 little compartments for exactly that.

And they also have a mini baker that would be the right size for 1-2 servings.

I have an old set of glass casseroles, same sizes as my mother's old red/blue/green ones, but clear glass, with lids that are not completely sealed (so steam can escape but tends to be mostly contained) that I use for this.  If they are full of cold food, I put them into the oven when it is preheating.  Also, I reheat food at 300 rather than 350.  Half an hour is more than enough at that temperature, unless it's for a lot of servings.  No need to stress things at 350.

I think "oven safe" means more like being kept warm in a low oven, not so much being used as a cooking vessel at normal temps.

Just at a glance, these seem to be pretty much what I'm thinking of as a mini casserole dish:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0088OKPFU?psc=1

I have no idea what's going on with your Pyrex. I've heard that trouble is rare... But aparently not for you. I hope you find a solution.

Those dishes look like a good alternative.  Thanks!

I have a friend who has also had a new pyrex pan shatter.  She was so traumatized that she got rid of the rest that she owned.  She also has a gas oven like I do although I'm not sure that is a factor at all.  She was telling me something about new (manufactured after 1998) pyrex that has a different composition is more prone to shattering.  I do not know the details though.  I can say it is about the biggest kitchen mess I have ever dealt with and very loud.

I just wish there were something like this that was more plate-like.  It is hard to cut up things like lasagne when they are in something with sides.  Obviously transferring the food is the answer to that but I swear if my household produces any more dishes than it already does, I'm going to have to get a second dishwasher.

Hmmmm.....  I have never had a break when I do this but have also been told multiple times that putting plates in the oven before it is pre-heated is a breakage danger because the elements/flame are highest when pre-heating.  Maybe this is incorrect?

let me get this straight -

you have sometimes put your plates in the oven while it's preheating and didn't have a break (but someone told you they are more prone to break that way, so you don't do that)

so you normally put your plates in the oven after it's heated, and that's when they break -

am I understanding this right?

what temperature is the oven?  what temperature are the plates when you put them in the oven?  room? refrigerator? 

• Like 1

there is a difference in the composition between oven safe-dishes and bakeware.  oven safe for dishes is usually meant for a brief stint in an oven (e.g. browning your creme brulee), not baking a roast, or as a pp said - keeping something warm at low temp.

what you are doing - using your plates to reheat food - is using "dishware" as bakeware.  not even oven safe stoneware plates - were meant to be used as bakeware. 

even metal will warp if you have an abrupt extreme change in temperature.  lab glass can shatter with an abrupt, and extreme change in temperature.  my silgranite (lifetime warranty) sink - cracked from draining my pasta water.  (the manufacturer replaced it - and disallowed heat damage from their silgranite sinks.)

let me get this straight -

you have sometimes put your plates in the oven while it's preheating and didn't have a break (but someone told you they are more prone to break that way, so you don't do that)

so you normally put your plates in the oven after it's heated, and that's when they break -

am I understanding this right?

what temperature is the oven?  what temperature are the plates when you put them in the oven?  room? refrigerator? 

Yep, you are understanding correctly.  You might ask why I don't just always pre-heat with the dish in the oven.  Which I am fine doing.  I just worry that it is coincidental that I have never had a break with that method and want to avoid it ever happening when dd is home alone.

Temp is usually 350.  Plates are room temperature.

there is a difference in the composition between oven safe-dishes and bakeware.  oven safe for dishes is usually meant for a brief stint in an oven (e.g. browning your creme brulee), not baking a roast, or as a pp said - keeping something warm at low temp.

what you are doing - using your plates to reheat food - is using "dishware" as bakeware.  not even oven safe stoneware plates - were meant to be used as bakeware. 

even metal will warp if you have an abrupt extreme change in temperature.  lab glass can shatter with an abrupt, and extreme change in temperature.  my silgranite (lifetime warranty) sink - cracked from draining my pasta water.  (the manufacturer replaced it - and disallowed heat damage from their silgranite sinks.)

So, my plates are Lenox.  I also have pie plates and casserole dishes from the same Lenox family.  I always thought those were meant as "bakeware" which is why I assumed the plates were OK to go in the oven too.  It is only the plates that have broken, never the bowls or serving dishes.  I am guess plates are more vulnerable because of their flat thinness?

My two pyrex shatter incidents were new and not obviously damaged in any way.  Both casserole pans.  One was fully loaded with a potato gratin and the other was a bunch of whole potatoes being baked.  My old stuff and more bowl-like pyrex has never been a problem.

So why does my Lenox plates say "oven safe" on the back?

What would you say a "mini casserole dish" is?

Pie plates might be a good choice.  Does it matter if the entire surface is not covered in food (think a square of lasagna in one spot, a pile of broccoli in another...)?

What type of Lenox is it?

Yes to the pie plates.

I use polish pottery in the oven all the time. But, when I reheat, I put the dishes in while the oven heats, so the dish & oven heat at the same time. No breakage. Usually, by the time the oven beeps 350 (or whatever), the heating is done :).

This is what I was going to say. If you are taking a dish from the freezer or even the fridge, it needs to either come to room temp, or go into the oven cold and let the dish and oven heat up together. I use temptations, and they are terrific and durable, but I always need to make sure I let the dish heat with the oven. Good luck:-)

• Like 3

there is a difference in the composition between oven safe-dishes and bakeware. oven safe for dishes is usually meant for a brief stint in an oven (e.g. browning your creme brulee), not baking a roast, or as a pp said - keeping something warm at low temp.

what you are doing - using your plates to reheat food - is using "dishware" as bakeware. not even oven safe stoneware plates - were meant to be used as bakeware.

even metal will warp if you have an abrupt extreme change in temperature. lab glass can shatter with an abrupt, and extreme change in temperature. my silgranite (lifetime warranty) sink - cracked from draining my pasta water. (the manufacturer replaced it - and disallowed heat damage from their silgranite sinks.)

I just read the rest of the replies. Somehow, in reading your post, I didn't catch that you were using actual plates, as opposed to dishes. Duh me:) So, I agree with gardenmom. I wouldn't use plates in the oven.

And gardenmom, I have a granite sink too. We have never had a problem draining hot pasta water, but now I am a little worried, lol. I usually run cold water at the same time while dumping the water so that may be why. Your poor sink:(

Edited by Professormom
  • Like 1

So, my plates are Lenox.  I also have pie plates and casserole dishes from the same Lenox family.  I always thought those were meant as "bakeware" which is why I assumed the plates were OK to go in the oven too.  It is only the plates that have broken, never the bowls or serving dishes.  I am guess plates are more vulnerable because of their flat thinness?

pie plates and casserole dishes are bakeware.  it is expected the consumer will put them in the oven to bake things for a long time.  even if it's the same pattern as the tableware - the composition is different from plates which are expected people will put on the table.  and if they are putting them in an oven - only briefly to brown - or hold the temperature.  not have cold food put on it - which lowers the temp - then shoved in a hot oven - which suddenly will raise the temperature.

cooking is chemistry - and you're creating a reaction in your dishes to sudden and dramatic temperature changes.

and pie plates are relatively flat too.

I also have a pattern listed as oven safe and includes a bunch of bakeware.  I would never treat my tableware as if it was bakeware - even though the tableware is listed as oven safe.

Edited by gardenmom5

I just read the rest of the replies. Somehow, in reading your post, I didn't catch that you were using actual plates, as opposed to dishes. Duh me:) So, I agree with gardenmom. I wouldn't use plates in the oven.

And gardenmom, I have a granite sink too. We have never had a problem draining hot pasta water, but now I am a little worried, lol. I usually run cold water at the same time while dumping the water so that may be why. Your poor sink:(

keep running that cold water when you drain your pasta . . . . I replaced it with a stainless sink.  I think I liked the configuration I had on the silgranite sink better (1/4 x 3/4)  now I have a 1/3 x 2/3.  I miss that bigger sink.  but I'll also never do a 1/2 x 1/2 again.

keep running that cold water when you drain your pasta . . . . I replaced it with a stainless sink. I think I liked the configuration I had on the silgranite sink better (1/4 x 3/4) now I have a 1/3 x 2/3. I miss that bigger sink. but I'll also never do a 1/2 x 1/2 again.

I understand. The shape/size division of that sink is why I had Dh install one the minute we moved to this house. It is the exact same sink we had at our last house:-)

gardenmom is right. You cannot use your table ware for heating food in the oven. My friend had a Corelle plate explode when she did this. I think that your kids must be a lot older - mine would burn their hands if I served food in a super hot plate out of the oven. I have some stainless steel bowls, some smaller lecreusets, some Corning pie plates which I use for reheating more than one serving and transfer to a dinner plate just before eating. I never heat my dinner plates with individual servings in the oven.

Fiesta Ware is sold as oven safe and is thick and sturdy. I've baked casseroles and desserts in a Fiesta serving bowl, but don't own any plates.

I only have plates. They are considered safe to 350 deg F, but that might be iffy in our house--and by OP's description probably even more iffy in hers.  And I've had more breakage/cracking/chipping for other reasons with Fiesta Ware than other plates I have owned--but I do like the pretty colors. Possibly you have pieces from their bakeware line which is safe to higher temperatures and meant to be cooked in. Or if not, I'm glad you are having good luck with it anyway.

Our French White CorningWare is considered safe to 425 deg. F, and has lasted better, but no pretty colors.

• Like 1

gardenmom is right. You cannot use your table ware for heating food in the oven. My friend had a Corelle plate explode when she did this. I think that your kids must be a lot older - mine would burn their hands if I served food in a super hot plate out of the oven. I have some stainless steel bowls, some smaller lecreusets, some Corning pie plates which I use for reheating more than one serving and transfer to a dinner plate just before eating. I never heat my dinner plates with individual servings in the oven.

when dh and I married - he had corelle. . . I was making pancakes and deposited one on the plate.  it promptly cracked in half.

(my corelle explosions -which is what usually happened when they broke - were something was dropped.  a gazillion shards later .. . . )

I grew up with an ugly avocado green pattern (matched the shag carpet . . . blech. the 70's was an ugly decade.)  - and so i hated the stuff.  was very happy to replace it.  (the shards from a break were part of why I hated it.)  My dd went out and bought the old towne blue we had when she was little.  (it's based on a blue onion pattern.)   she has fiesta ware from the vacation rental condo contents she bought.  she doesn't like it.  all the pieces are persimmon, so she'd rather just sell it.

the french white is great- we have a number of pieces for serveware.  durable (we've had some breakage over the years). fridge- oven-to-table, use it with china or everyday stoneware.

It's science!  By placing individual portions of food on your plate, with empty plate between the portions, you are creating extreme differentiation of temperatures within the plate.  The part of the plate under the food is remaining cold while the space in between is getting extremely hot.  The heat is causing the different parts of the plate to expand at different rates, causing stress within the material, and causing it to break.  A metal pie plate will work because it will just warp rather than break.  A heavy stoneware plate might work because it will heat more evenly.  But, really, metal is your safest choice.

• Like 3

It's science!  By placing individual portions of food on your plate, with empty plate between the portions, you are creating extreme differentiation of temperatures within the plate.  The part of the plate under the food is remaining cold while the space in between is getting extremely hot.  The heat is causing the different parts of the plate to expand at different rates, causing stress within the material, and causing it to break.  A metal pie plate will work because it will just warp rather than break.  A heavy stoneware plate might work because it will heat more evenly.  But, really, metal is your safest choice.

I do think you are right and it is what I have suspected.  The breaks always happen (or at least start) on the empty part of the plate.  Sometimes it is between different foods or in the last plate's case it started on the rim just outside of the food.

Somehow dh has been making nachos on these plates right under the broiler for years with no issue.  I know that is a no-no.  I also often pop a stack of empty plates in the oven to warm while whatever is for dinner is baking.  That has never been a problem.  We are dish abusers.

I do think you are right and it is what I have suspected.  The breaks always happen (or at least start) on the empty part of the plate.  Sometimes it is between different foods or in the last plate's case it started on the rim just outside of the food.

Somehow dh has been making nachos on these plates right under the broiler for years with no issue.  I know that is a no-no.  I also often pop a stack of empty plates in the oven to warm while whatever is for dinner is baking.  That has never been a problem.  We are dish abusers.

So, what can you do?  

~ You can use metal pie plates for heating food.  They're not pretty, but they'll do the trick. 

~You could try getting some nice stoneware.  Pampered Chef has been mentioned.  It's expensive, but it will handle the job.  I like the idea of the one with individual compartments.  

~You could keep using Pyrex or other dishes, but only if you fill it completely with food -- no space in between (that's probably why the nachos aren't a problem, they allow the heat to circulate.

~You could try creating a water bath by placing a jellyroll pan on the rack, filled with about a half inch of water, then put your dish of food into the water (The sides would have to be high enough not to let the water run over onto the food).  The water will distribute the heat.

All of my dishes are Fiesta.  I bake in them all the time, I make nachos on the dinner plates and even bake cupcakes in my teacups. They offer lots of  various  bakeware as well, which by the way  cleans up great. All my vintage pyrex is now in storage I don't even use it any more. All of it is safe in the oven, I've never had a piece break. Per Fiesta's website: 

How high can the oven temperature be? 
Typically 350 degrees is very acceptable for dinnerware, while bakeware can reach 500 degrees. While all pieces are temperature safe to 500 degrees, we do not however recommend placing above or directly under direct flame

Edited by KayT
  • Like 1

I use metal pie pans for leftovers or small cookie sheets and then transfer to a plate for eating off of.

This is what I do. I just put down foil on the cookie sheet.

I had a Pyrex explode after reading about that here. Scared the heck out of me and was such a pain to clean that I can't use it again either.

This is from a website talking about polish pottery:

These are re-heating guidelines I use anyway, but this type of dish actually is oven-safe up to 425.

Care and Use of Your Polish Pottery

Guidelines to keep your pottery in excellent condition:

You may safely use Polish Pottery in the microwave and in a conventional oven at temperatures up to 425°F. We recommend you heat your stoneware up to temperature with the oven. Your Polish Pottery does not like quick changes in temperature or uneven heat sources.

Never place your pottery directly on a hot stovetop burner!

While Polish Pottery is extremely durable, it should not be taken directly from the freezer and placed into a hot oven. In addition, cold water or frozen food should not be placed in a hot piece of pottery. Always allow cooling or warming to room temperatures before heating in an oven or placing in a freezer.

• Like 1

Foil on cookie sheets or pie tins. Move to plate later.

I have never heard of heating up on a plate in the oven.

If you really, really enjoy washing large dishes every time you re-heat, then you could buy Pyrex ovenware which is as good as anything (we regularly bake in it, as it's made for that purpose) or casserole dishes.

I think it is unrealistic to want to find serving ware that doubles as cookware. If you find it it's likely to be super expensive.

• Like 1

The materials used in Pyrex dishes changed several years ago. It is no longer made of borosilicate glass. The newer Pyrex (made of tempered lime soda glass) is much more likely to explode; I've had a few dishes do that. 

My french white corning ware has held up well.  Metal cake pans or pie plates would be another good choice.

You need restaurant quality plates.  These are designed for high heat, they even state they can go from freezer to oven.  I am going to replace my plates with these when I get my steam oven in the new house.  Plus they are so cheap, I won't be upset if anyone breaks them.

Here's where you can order by the case....

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/3865/tuxton-alaska-rolled-edge-china.html

Here's where you can order the same brand put get individual pieces....

http://www.bryanchina.com/white_china.htm