Menu

If you can crochet/knit....ETA pic in post #8

athomeontheprairie

My daughter is learning to crochet. She knows several of the basic stitches, and has a nice even stitch. She is good with long projects and has zero problem sticking with a project.

She would like to make this blanket. I'm all for it. She has someone that can help her if she gets stuck. But I need to order yarn online for this project. This is where I need help. Should we be looking at a completely different brand? Is there one you would recommend? Is there an online yarn store you really like?

Edited by athomeontheprairie

The yarn you linked is super bulky, the pattern is for a worsted.  It could work, but it may require some finagling with hook and size.  I would consider using a Bernat Baby Cakes or Lion Heart Pound of Love.

I'm not sure on the hook size.  Would there be a way you could order a range of mid-size to see what works best?  I know they often sell them in packs.

• Like 1

The yarn you linked is super bulky, the pattern is for a worsted.  It could work, but it may require some finagling with hook and size.  I would consider using a Bernat Baby Cakes or Lion Heart Pound of Love.

I'm not sure on the hook size.  Would there be a way you could order a range of mid-size to see what works best?  I know they often sell them in packs.

Yes, while it can be done I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner. Most patterns list yarn weight for a reason. I suggest she find a different pattern, one that uses bulky yarn, or use worsted weight (even sport weight wouldn't be a major change).  Once she gets more experience and is confident making changes, then she can ignore the yarn weight recommendation and make her own adjustments.

Edited by Lady Florida
  • Like 4

Agreeing with the others on yarn weight. The other possible issue is that the Bernat blanket is a chenille and the final look with all the braiding might not look as crisp as with a regular plied yarn. I would recommend a smooth, worsted weight like: Vanna's Choice, Deborah Norville Everyday, Red Heart Soft, Red Heart with Love, even Red Heart Super Saver which is cheap, comes in lots of colors, and softens up nicely after washing.

• Like 1

I agree with the others - the bulky yarns work better with simpler and more basic patterns.   I was at the yarn store this morning looking at this - I don't remember the one being alot more bulky than worsted, though it is heavier.  there are some yarns that are VERY bulky.

she will need a variety of hooks to determine her gauge - and she needs to do a swatch so she can learn her gauge.  then I've had patterns from people who crocheted loose, and even did one with someone who crocheted super tight . . . so, always do a swatch for gauge - even for afghans. (or you'll need more yarn, or have lots left over.)

eta: I like lion brand yarns too. (michael's currently has their one pounder 40% off.)  also, don't get a cheap acrylic.  you don't want to put alot of work into this and then have it not tolerate washing.

Edited by gardenmom5

I am currently working on a heavily cabled afghan with Lion's Heartland and it's a lovely yarn - soft, great colors and is working up beautifully. For worsted weight, it should be labeled as 4 (weight)...unlike the yarn you posted that has a 6...even if the yarn doesn't specifically say worsted, that will tell you the weight of it. 

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

Great job! I LOVE when kids take a big project and actually see it through to completion.

Me too! There was a point when she had an enormous pile of strips and she was ready to be d.o.n.e. She'd been working so hard for so long and had *nothing* to show for it. Then she started to weave them together and it started to look like a blanket.

But man there was a point she almost have up. I'm glad she pushed through.

Everyone thanks for your words, they were very encouraging to her.

• Like 1