Menu

I have this burning desire

Chris in VA

to get out and do...something...before the blizzard hits!

I get this way (antsy and want to hurry and leave to do one.more.thing) when there's some sort of deadline looming or even when something dangerous is happening--I mean, I HAD to leave the house when I first heard about 9-11 on the TV and watched the Pentagon aftermath on the library TV because I had gone there.

(No knotted knickers b/c I just used a highly dramatic example, pls.)

I'm just saying I feel this way and I really don't know why.

Does anyone else do this?  I do stay off the roads and such when an actual weather event hits; I'm not saying I run into fires or anything--just...this antsy, gotta do something feeling.

Yes, we went out to lunch yesterday for no reason except that I knew we'd be home for a few days. I thought the snow was going to start earlier today. I'm planning on making all the kids go on a really long walk with me in the early afternoon today. And I just got back from CVS because I wanted some more coffee. But I think I just as much wanted to go out, knowing we'd be home for several days. 

• Like 1

Not me at all, but dh is a little like that. And it's much worse if he's been home and not gone anywhere a couple days.

I just like staying home. I'm the kind that wants the weather to be bad enough that I have a "good* reason for staying home and not getting much done. :p

• Like 1

to get out and do...something...before the blizzard hits!

I get this way (antsy and want to hurry and leave to do one.more.thing) when there's some sort of deadline looming or even when something dangerous is happening--I mean, I HAD to leave the house when I first heard about 9-11 on the TV and watched the Pentagon aftermath on the library TV because I had gone there.

(No knotted knickers b/c I just used a highly dramatic example, pls.)

I'm just saying I feel this way and I really don't know why.

Does anyone else do this?  I do stay off the roads and such when an actual weather event hits; I'm not saying I run into fires or anything--just...this antsy, gotta do something feeling.

Maybe this explains Quill's snoverreaction phenomenon?!

• Like 3

My recycling was sitting on the curb. I decided that it wasn't going to get picked up. So my going out was taking bags of paper and cans and bottles to a county collection site. Ds was happy to get out. And I'm glad I did it. My neighbor's stuff is still out and the snow is accumulating. The recycling trucks never come during a storm. So, neighbor's stuff is going to sit and get buried. I think I will ask him to pull it soon. The stuff is piled in front of my house and I don't think I should have to look at it.

Yes, I do that.  I get restless and unproductive. 

I really want to go to the library right now, even though they close in an hour and I have tons of reading material here. 

This is only slightly related:  Whenever there is an expected weather event I feel compelled to buy tube cinnamon rolls to bake. I just... want them.  I know I am not the only one because more than once there's been a crowd around the Pillsbury/store brand display of tubed dough products during the days/hours before a storm.  It's particularly weird when a power outage is expected.  Can one bake those in a gas grill?  (For all I know, it's doable.)

• Like 1

Yes, I do that. I get restless and unproductive.

I really want to go to the library right now, even though they close in an hour and I have tons of reading material here.

This is only slightly related: Whenever there is an expected weather event I feel compelled to buy tube cinnamon rolls to bake. I just... want them. I know I am not the only one because more than once there's been a crowd around the Pillsbury/store brand display of tubed dough products during the days/hours before a storm. It's particularly weird when a power outage is expected. Can one bake those in a gas grill? (For all I know, it's doable.)

I haven't tried it, but Google says it's possible! This orange technique looks fabulous: http://saynotsweetanne.com/2013/camp-food-cinnamon-buns/

• Like 1

I went out to Kohls this morning to go b-day shopping for my son whose b-day is Sunday.   It was nice to get out and it was hours before the snow started falling here.    When it first starts snowing I always want to just get in my car and drive around a bit.  I used to go to the store as soon as the first snow flakes would start, but not anymore.  Driving here has become worse over the years so I just  stay home.

Now I want cinnamon rolls and it's way too late.

Edited by PrincessMommy
  • Like 1

Yes, I do that.  I get restless and unproductive. 

This is only slightly related:  Whenever there is an expected weather event I feel compelled to buy tube cinnamon rolls to bake. I just... want them.  I know I am not the only one because more than once there's been a crowd around the Pillsbury/store brand display of tubed dough products during the days/hours before a storm.  It's particularly weird when a power outage is expected.  Can one bake those in a gas grill?  (For all I know, it's doable.)

Our treat of choice seems to be Devil Dogs. I never, ever buy those (I'm addicted to them, I'll eat them all given the opportunity), but when we're about to be snowed in, suddenly Devil Dogs seem like a GREAT IDEA! I just got back from BJ's, and they were among the items I brought home  :thumbup:

I wonder if this feeling of needing to do something or go somewhere and the whole snoverreaction prep thing are just manifestations of a deeply ingrained survival instinct? Even though we know the likelihood of disaster is fairly small, we feel the need to hoard provisions and work to keep ourselves and our families warm and safe. I guess in the human timeline, our relative comfort and ability to keep ourselves alive fairly easily is a pretty recent development. 

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops
  • Like 3