Menu

What can you do with egg yolks?

Liz CA

I like to eat hard boiled egg whites for a quick protein boost but I don't usually eat the yolk. How long can I store them in the fridge and what can I do with them (other than chuck them eventually)? There are only so many Deviled Eggs one can make.  It pains me to throw out something good.

My yolks are cooked though...

Hmm...could you separate the eggs first and then kind of poach the whites?

What about adding to potato salad, macaroni salad, or tuna salad?

Is there perhaps an animal shelter that would like the donation to supplement their dogs' food?  

Edited by umsami
  • Like 1

Oh my god, how is this a question. (Teasing of course. :) )

Hollandaise sauce over biscuits with eggs over easy and smoked salmon or bacon/ham, every Sunday, because seriously, #YOLO. Snip some chives over that baby and serve with seasonal fruit. It is heaven. What food ought to be.

If you don't own de Pomiane's book on French Cooking in 10 Minutes, buy it. It is worth the recipe for Hollandaise alone!

Edited by Tsuga
  • Like 1

Found hard boiled egg cookies!  They're cookies. How can they be bad?

Old salad dressing recipe, I found online...

PENNSYLVANIA DRESSING

2 hard-boiled egg yolks
tarragon vinegar
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. celery salt
1 heaping tsp. powdered sugar
1 green pepper, chopped medium fine
6 chives or small young onions, chopped very fine
1 sprig parsley, chopped fine
juice of 1/2 lemon, strained
1/2 cup olive oil
1 cup mayonnaise

Mash egg yolks with enough tarragon vinegar to make a smooth paste. Add each ingredient in the order listed, mixing well before adding the next. Beat all with a whisk until blender through, about 1 minute. Pour into a glass jar and cover tightly. Chill at least 1 hour before serving. Makes 1 pint.

• Like 1

Oh my god, how is this a question. (Teasing of course. :) )

Hollandaise sauce over biscuits with eggs over easy and smoked salmon or bacon/ham, every Sunday, because seriously, #YOLO. Snip some chives over that baby and serve with seasonal fruit. It is heaven. What food ought to be.

If you don't own de Pomiane's book on French Cooking in 10 Minutes, buy it. It is worth the recipe for Hollandaise alone!

Cooked yolks, people. You know AFTER you hard boil the egg...but umsami found a hardboiled egg cookie recipe. I have to copy it now.

• Like 2

Cooked yolks, people. You know AFTER you hard boil the egg...but umsami found a hardboiled egg cookie recipe. I have to copy it now.

Oh. That is a crying shame.

I wonder if you couldn't baste the whites instead? Or poach them, instead of boiling in the shell? Then you have so many options.

Edited by Tsuga

Oh. That is a crying shame.

I wonder if you couldn't baste the whites instead? Or poach them, instead of boiling in the shell? Then you have so many options.

You know, I am thinking about this. I had a poaching pan years ago. It may just be worth crawling into the cabinet, way back there and see if it's still around. I'd poach the egg whites and make that fantastic looking lemon curd recipe from one of umsami's links. :)

My favorite biscuit recipe uses cooked egg yolks. I can't remember if it came from James Beard or Rose Levy Beranbaum, but either way it is good.  Here's a link: http://food52.com/blog/3564-james-beard-s-strawberry-shortcakes

When white asparagus is in season I always use sieved egg yolks and melted butter to top it. Might not sound appetizing, but it is delicious.  That's traditional, but I don't know why it wouldn't work with other vegetables.

Edited by bibiche
  • Like 1

I like to eat hard boiled egg whites for a quick protein boost but I don't usually eat the yolk. How long can I store them in the fridge and what can I do with them (other than chuck them eventually)? There are only so many Deviled Eggs one can make.  It pains me to throw out something good.

To feed to someone else?

I make tuna salad with hard boiled eggs sometimes. I guess if I didn't have the whites I could still throw the yolks in. I would do the same with a green salad.

Or just you know, eat the whole egg ;)

• Like 2

I have fed them to her (Boxer) but only one a day because I don't want her to get high cholesterol.  :lol: :lol:

I used to put a lot of thought into what I fed my dog. 

One day, I picked up my son from aftercare and rushed across town to get to the store that sold the grain free, organic, human grade, something else expensive, dog food.  My son was hungry, so we stopped and picked up McDonald's on the way.  

I'm not sure of the moral of this story other than if egg yolks are too dangerous for your dog, you probably shouldn't be eating them yourself, even in cookie form.  

• Like 2

I used to put a lot of thought into what I fed my dog. 

One day, I picked up my son from aftercare and rushed across town to get to the store that sold the grain free, organic, human grade, something else expensive, dog food.  My son was hungry, so we stopped and picked up McDonald's on the way.  

I'm not sure of the moral of this story other than if egg yolks are too dangerous for your dog, you probably shouldn't be eating them yourself, even in cookie form.  

Well, this is precisely why they are getting collected in the fridge. I may eat three egg whites (cooked) in a day but not three yolks. Tomorrow, I am going to look for my poaching pan and perhaps poach the whites and see if I can use the uncooked yolks in one of the many recipes linked here.