Menu

Indulge me...where do I want to live?

Truscifi

We won't be ready to move for several years, but dh and I know we don't want to live here long term. Here being the middle of nowhere central FL.

We would like to try urban living, somewhere with easy access to public transit and lots of things to do, especially theatres and museums and such. It doesn't need to be a big city necessarily, but it does need to be somewhere it doesn't get very cold. We have both always lived in the South and don't like a lot of snow or ice.

We would like to start planning now so we can visit potential places as we vacation over the next few years. So what should we put on the list?

If COL isn't a problem, Washington DC has a lot to do.  I use public transport 2-4 times a week and it's usually reliable.  I don't think it's very cold at all here.

If leaving the US isn't a problem, Mexico City has a huge amount of things to do, the weather is always nice, and it has a good bus and metro system.

Seattle's bus system is reasonable although I prefer subway/metro systems to buses, it's almost never cold and snowy, and it's a fun city to explore.

• Like 1

My family finally escaped Florida (yay!!!) last year after being there almost 40 years. We are traveling around the US looking for a new place to call home. So far we have really liked Northern Cali (but our wallets aren't big enough) Greenville, SC, St Louis and Boulder, Co. We are only 13 months into our adventure so there's still lots more to see.

Good luck! You'll love life outside of FL!

• Like 3

My family finally escaped Florida (yay!!!) last year after being there almost 40 years. We are traveling around the US looking for a new place to call home. So far we have really liked Northern Cali (but our wallets aren't big enough) Greenville, SC, St Louis and Boulder, Co. We are only 13 months into our adventure so there's still lots more to see.

Good luck! You'll love life outside of FL!

In terms of Northern CA, have you looked a little inland, Sacramento Valley area, north and south of Sacramento? COL is quite a bit lower than coastal regions.

Have you thought about a college town? There's usually a lot going on in those. I'm thinking Chapel Hill North Carolina. In general, the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area would give you a lot of those things. Any further north, and it will feel cold to you.

Austin, Texas comes to mind as well.

That's exactly what I was thinking.
  • Like 1

We have talked about further south in FL. I lived n Miami for a while before we go married and wouldn't mind trying somewhere down south again, but I think dh misses seasons other than wet and dry. We have definitely talked about a college town as an option, especially if we are able to do the move sooner rather than later. If we aren't able to save as much as we would like due to unforeseen issues coming up then we'll wait until the kids are gone to move. Which would give us plenty of freedom to move around and try out different places. Hmm. That's not a bad idea, actually.

If COL isn't a problem, Washington DC has a lot to do.  I use public transport 2-4 times a week and it's usually reliable.  I don't think it's very cold at all here.

If leaving the US isn't a problem, Mexico City has a huge amount of things to do, the weather is always nice, and it has a good bus and metro system.

Seattle's bus system is reasonable although I prefer subway/metro systems to buses, it's almost never cold and snowy, and it's a fun city to explore.

We've talked about both DC and Seattle. If things continue the way they have been for a few more years with no major upsets, the higher COL won't be a huge issue. 

We haven't talked about outside the US much. How difficult is it to move to Mexico?

http://www.findyourspot.com

Take the quiz!

That was fun just for a lark. :D

It told me I should live in Honolulu. Hilariously, we have the option of moving there for dh's work and I'm the only one who thinks it would be a fun adventure (especially since we could do it for a year and come back). Oh well.

Truscifi, DC is good if you want to be near culture, as long as that culture isn't nightlife...

• Like 2

We've talked about both DC and Seattle. If things continue the way they have been for a few more years with no major upsets, the higher COL won't be a huge issue.

We haven't talked about outside the US much. How difficult is it to move to Mexico?

There are tens of thousands of US citizens living in Mexico, either temporarily or as permanent residents. It's not difficult to move there at all, although it does take some planning. There are lots of books and websites out there about it.

If Mexico is a possibility, there are quite a few different places that can be very good options. A lot of people live on the coasts, but I think it's too humid there. If that's okay with you, there are many good places to live, both on the east and west coasts. I prefer the central highlands where it's much less hot and humid. Mexico City is absolutely fascinating, but you could live in Morelia, for example, and be just a few hours from Mexico City but live in a smaller, quieter place. A lot of Americans live south of Guadalajara on Lake Chapala and also in Guanajuato in San Miguel de Allende. Lots of choices.

No. I feel in love with Sonoma County. Sigh. We spent a month in Novato and it was delightful. :)

I hear you. We used to live in Sonoma County for over a decade before moving because dh went to college in the valley. Novato is Marin County and even more expensive than Sonoma County. Have you checked Napa County? Slightly east and a little less expensive, perhaps not by much though since it's the famous Napa Wine Country...

• Like 1

I hear you. We used to live in Sonoma County for over a decade before moving because dh went to college in the valley. Novato is Marin County and even more expensive than Sonoma County. Have you checked Napa County? Slightly east and a little less expensive, perhaps not by much though since it's the famous Napa Wine Country...

Ooh good info! No I don't think we ever went there. We have moved onto to Colorado and I'm currently in love with the Rockies. (I have a tendency to fall in love with every place we go)

• Like 1

So you added college town. Again, Sarasota. There are more performing arts schools there per child than New York. There are three colleges, I believe, and a med school, There are four or five community theaters, a huge ballet company, Ringling Brothers circus as well as a children's circus, two many art galleries to count, sailing opportunities for kids, the ocean which keeps the temperatures moderate for all seasons, an orchestra with huge facilities, and over 100 camps for children during the summer, a zoo, an aquarium, a children's museum, and huge sports facilities.

I wish I lived there.

That was fun just for a lark. :D

It told me I should live in Honolulu. Hilariously, we have the option of moving there for dh's work and I'm the only one who thinks it would be a fun adventure (especially since we could do it for a year and come back). Oh well.

Truscifi, DC is good if you want to be near culture, as long as that culture isn't nightlife...

I took it again and put in the entire coastal areas, West and East.  Interestingly enough, where I live now came up as 8th on my list.  

My top choices came up as West Coast, which I figured, since I hate humidity, love mountains and ocean, and well, love the West Coast.   

I would move back in a hot minute if the family were agreeable.  

People keep saying, "Well, when the kids are grown you can move back" but they will most likely settle on the East Coast somewhere because they love it here, and I wouldn't move that far away from them and any possible grandkids, so I am stuck here.......FOREVER.

Sigh.

Dawn

Maybe Atlanta area? Different geography and weather with large city amenities.

I think it may depend a lot on what else you want, like culture, maybe politics, weather, proximity to your family.

That quiz website earlier can sometimes help you consider places, and I like to browse citydata.com for general information.

Double post......but, did I mention Sarasota? I would kill to live there.

:lol:

Sarasota is on the list. My godmother lives there too, so we are kind of familiar with it, but we've never really explored it. We are going to go for a long weekend with that in mind.

• Like 1

In terms of Northern CA, have you looked a little inland, Sacramento Valley area, north and south of Sacramento? COL is quite a bit lower than coastal regions.

I lived in Sacramento for years. I thought it was totally bland. If I were going to stay on the West Coast, I'd move to Reno, NV. It's only 40 mins. from Lake Tahoe which I miss so, so much.

Alley