Menu

Help Me Decide About Fallout 4

Ginevra

DS wanted this game for Christmas, and I did buy it, rather impulsively, yesterday. He is getting two other games, Rise of the Tomb Raider and Gears of War (came with the bundle). I'm actually fond of RoTTR, from the trailers I watched. It looks pretty awesome. But Fallout - it gives me pause. Apprently your character can use drugs or alcohol in the game and this is not super-cool with me. I don't even understand WHY the game designers make this possible.

However, I read reviews and there are parents saying the game is fine for teens. They say the negatives are not a big deal, and that the drug use produces negative side-effects which disadvantage your character. Maybe, but why is this even part of the game?

I am leaning towards just not giving it to him and taking it back next week. But, I don't know if I'm just being hysterical because I am very strongly opposed to drug and alcohol use being displayed in a positive light, or as "fun." Also, keep in mind, I have an 11-year-old DS, too, and, while it is feasible for my teen to play a game without younger DS present, it's not something I want to worry about excessively.

P.S. I also bought Madden Football as a gift for the family, specifically because I wanted there to be a game younger DS can be around.

Ds has it and he was disappointed- it's more of a FPS than the expected RPG that the earlier Fallout games were.  He said if you let your character use drugs or alcohol it 'usually' has a negative impact on performance.   Ds simply isn't interested in either drugs or alcohol so it's never been a big concern of ours.  Of course, a 21 year old is way different than a 16 year old...but even at 16 he just wasn't swayed by those influences. 

Anyway...he said the game wasn't worth the price or the hype. 

• Like 1

I played GTA as a kid. Same issues. I think it normalized drugs, alcohol, and s*x, making them less taboo.

See, and I know this about GTA, which is why, in my mind, it is firmly in the "No Freakin Way" game category. i guess I am wondering, if I was playing or watching Fallout, would I get this impression? I don't know.

See, and I know this about GTA, which is why, in my mind, it is firmly in the "No Freakin Way" game category. i guess I am wondering, if I was playing or watching Fallout, would I get this impression? I don't know.

I think repeated exposure to anything makes it more acceptable, but will he be repeatedly exposed to it is the question. You could google some reviews.

Ds has it and he was disappointed- it's more of a FPS than the expected RPG that the earlier Fallout games were.  He said if you let your character use drugs or alcohol it 'usually' has a negative impact on performance.   Ds simply isn't interested in either drugs or alcohol so it's never been a big concern of ours.  Of course, a 21 year old is way different than a 16 year old...but even at 16 he just wasn't swayed by those influences. 

I got it for ds 24. Wonder what he will say about it. I don't even know if he has the earlier Fallout games.

Quill, if you feel not right about it, I would take it back. They can always get it later anyways.

• Like 2

I got it for ds 24. Wonder what he will say about it. I don't even know if he has the earlier Fallout games.

Quill, if you feel not right about it, I would take it back. They can always get it later anyways.

Good point.

My DH and I have been playing it after the kids are asleep, so we're not too far in.  With that being said, I don't think you have to use drugs/alcohol in the game, but they are there.  The drugs (which have game-specific names, so it's not like they're called heroin, cocaine, etc) boost certain stats for limited amount of time.  If you use them too much, you can get addicted to them (your character stats will be lowered until you use the drugs again).

If you're on the fence about it, I'd agree with returning it and getting him a gift card for the price of another game on that system.  You can always do more research and buy the game again later.

• Like 1

Ds has it and he was disappointed- it's more of a FPS than the expected RPG that the earlier Fallout games were. He said if you let your character use drugs or alcohol it 'usually' has a negative impact on performance. Ds simply isn't interested in either drugs or alcohol so it's never been a big concern of ours. Of course, a 21 year old is way different than a 16 year old...but even at 16 he just wasn't swayed by those influences.

Thanks for the info -- I'll be sure to mention it to my ds when I give him the game, because I think he's expecting it to be an RPG.

I'm not worried about the drugs and alcohol thing because ds is adamantly opposed to both. If the game made it a good thing to use drugs or alcohol, I would never have bought it.

GTA is on my Absolutely Not list.

• Like 2

Thanks for the info -- I'll be sure to mention it to my ds when I give him the game, because I think he's expecting it to be an RPG.

I'm not worried about the drugs and alcohol thing because ds is adamantly opposed to both. If the game made it a good thing to use drugs or alcohol, I would never have bought it.

GTA is on my Absolutely Not list.

My son is the same way and GTA has never entered this house.

Dh says you can play Fallout 4 however you want; as strictly FPS or and RPG. The RPG aspect is always there. You can level up based on role playing (and not just shooting). It is a huge, open world game. They've spent, ahem, a lot of time on it ;) . It's a father/son thing here.

• Like 1

Fallout 4 is a Mature/18+ rated game with content to match both the rating and the concept of a post-nuclear wasteland where adults make not always the best decisions in the name of survival. The only parts I or my partner would let our kids watch is the building section [you can build settlements] and character creation. The rest is too risky - all the Fallout games have leaned on that side of very very grey and this open world probably more than the rest. You've got human looking synths that can snap and start trying to kill everyone without any notice.. Personally, unless you can keep the 11 year old from watching as well, I'd wait on it. That you have doubts at all probably tells you what you need to know. 

• Like 1

I bought it for my 15 year old ds. I asked a lot of questions and decided to let him try it. I looked at the Tomb Raider game, but all the people at Game Stop that day assured me that it was much worse than Fallout. I have no idea if their version of worse is different than mine, though.

• Like 1

I bought it for my 15 year old ds. I asked a lot of questions and decided to let him try it. I looked at the Tomb Raider game, but all the people at Game Stop that day assured me that it was much worse than Fallout. I have no idea if their version of worse is different than mine, though.

I'm sure this sounds odd, but violence and gore doesn't bother me (much). I mean, it doesn't thrill me, but for a teen who doesn't have any weirdness in terms of mixing up real violence with game violence, it doesn't bug me.The drug alcohol thing - well, it does bother me.

Tomb Raider - I am enthralled by the fantasy landscape and graphics. I feel like it can be a point of connection with DS, something I might actually get into and enjoy.

I think I'm going to withhold the Fallout game. It is usually better to heed my instinct; fewer regrets that way.

• Like 2

I'm sure this sounds odd, but violence and gore doesn't bother me (much). I mean, it doesn't thrill me, but for a teen who doesn't have any weirdness in terms of mixing up real violence with game violence, it doesn't bug me.The drug alcohol thing - well, it does bother me.

Tomb Raider - I am enthralled by the fantasy landscape and graphics. I feel like it can be a point of connection with DS, something I might actually get into and enjoy.

I think I'm going to withhold the Fallout game. It is usually better to heed my instinct; fewer regrets that way.

I think if you're uncomfortable with the content, then withholding it this year is the smart choice.

• Like 3

I'm sitting here right this moment watching dh play it.  He and I both really like playing it.  It does have drugs and alcohol, but they aren't glorified, IMO.  The alcohol can be used for making medicine or weapons.  The drugs are very much portrayed as addictive and not good for you.  

The only thing that would really bother me for younger teens would be the language (if you aren't concerned about gore or violence).  F-bombs are used often.  

Edited by The Girls' Mom
  • Like 2

It's better to never give him the game than to give it to him and wish you hadn't. Although I'm giving the game to my own ds, I think you are making the right choice for your son. If you're not comfortable with the game, it shouldn't be in your house. :)

• Like 1

Ds doesn't think it is a big deal in the game. It's not something that is necessary to play the game - yes, they can help in certain areas of the game but it's not something a player would use repeatedly. In another type of game it would be potions, or healing spells, etc. In the setting of the game it makes more sense to label them chems or drugs. Now GTA is a game that will never be allowed in our house, and ds is completely in agreement with that.

I'm sitting here right this moment watching dh play it. He and I both really like playing it. It does have drugs and alcohol, but they aren't glorified, IMO. The alcohol can be used for making medicine or weapons. The drugs are very much portrayed as addictive and not good for you.

The only thing that would really bother me for younger teens would be the language (if you aren't concerned about gore or violence). F-bombs are used often.

^^^This. My beef with this series is more for language than anything else. I love Skyrim, but I'm meh on Fallout. However, I'm not a big FPS gamer like it dh and ds 1.

I can't fathom how Fallout is anyway comparable to GTA- unless you've never played it to know the difference.

Tomb Raider series is one of our all time favorites.  Dh has been playing them since his first PS1.  Agree with the fantasy landscape and graphics on the new one.  My girls also love Skyrim for the same reasons. 

Totally naive parent here bought her 15yo dd GTA for Christmas. We got her a 360 and I decided at the last minute to buy some used games from Game Stop since they were having a buy 2 get one free sale. She likes the RPG and they helped me pick out quite a few. Her favorite so far is Fable. I needed one more game so I called DH to ask him what he suggested. GTA was his suggestion. I had NO idea. :confused1:  I really thought it was just a racing game. My dd was in complete shock when she opened it, obviously she knows what it is about. I was not happy with DH. So basically he can play it without kids in the room and she'll get to pick out something else but I think I am done picking out games, or at least taking suggestions from DH. :laugh: