Menu

PSA - avocado can cause stomach pain

Pegasus

It took me months to figure out why I was getting mysterious stomach pains.  I had changed my diet drastically and thought I was on the right track with healthier eating. Part of my routine was having 1/4 of an avocado every morning with my breakfast. I would sometimes have another 1/4 at either lunch or dinner.

Several months after eating this way, I started getting stomach pains.  I tried lots of different things, like not drinking coffee, avoiding artificial sweeteners, etc. but never could make a clear determination of what was causing the stomach pain.

Then one day, rather randomly, I ran across a blog post where someone described their stomach pain and how they determined it was caused by the avocados they were eating.  Wow, I thought, could my problem really be this simple?  As soon as I stopped eating avocados, my stomach pain stopped. *whew*

If you google "avocado stomach pain" you will find lots of information about this phenomenon.  However, I wanted to post and share it here because I never would have associated the two if I hadn't run across the blog post. Hoping this ends up helping someone else.

• Like 1

According to this website, the two types of avocado allergy are 1) oral allergy syndrome connected to birch pollen and 2) allergies connected to latex allergy.  The latex allergy is the one associated with nausea and vomiting, but can include anaphylaxis.  It may be a good idea to check out whatever else is related to latex allergy if you're having these symptoms!

I think most foods cause problems with someone or other.

Most people in our family have something they need to avoid for reasons most people wouldn't think of -- for example, chamomile makes Dh jittery (due to tannins, apparently). Various things that go into "healthy" smoothies, like coconut milk, make my heart race. BIL cannot tolerate oregano.

God for OP for figuring it out, though! You really have to be willing to reject the mindset that certain foods are so healthy that "everyone" should eat them!