Menu

Virginia Schools Closed Over Islamic Lesson Dispute

Shawthorne, if those are your explanations, then my high school history and literature classes were not superior. Yours, I'm sorry to say, were substandard. You need to discuss what writers and their expected audience believed to understand literature that references religion - which is most literature! You need to discuss what artists and their patrons (frequently the religious authorities) believed in order to understand artwork. You need to discuss what people believed in order to understand history and current events.

What's shocking is that your education was so lacking.

• Like 7

That's good that you have this freedom.

I'm in one of those political battleground states where you really need to keep your mouth shut if you aren't exceedingly politically correct in all forms in any sort of public situation, as dictated by the PC police.

I haven't even looked, since I am not party-aligned, but I suspect that certain political candidates score high on polls here by those who have been shut down.

That's just it, though. Even though I'm Christian I don't like the super focus on Christmas here and the exclusion of other beliefs. The schools I substitute in have a large population of Burmese refugees. Most of those students do not celebrate Christmas but they have tons of Christmas themed books and worksheets right now. They even had Elf on a Shelf in their classroom who reports to Santa on their behavior.

• Like 1

Fox doesn't pick up on stories regardless of content. That's the whole thing. They very carefully chose content that supports the delusion of a hostile take over, a "war" on xianity. By ignoring the unequal events of xian bias in representatives of the government (ie, public schools and courts), by ignoring peaceful conflict resolution, by focusing only on stories that can be retold in such a way as to incite fear, you have learned to jump at your own shadows, guided by voices such as Fox News. The lion isn't being targeted, he's falling asleep. There is no "bad guy" here, only society - slowly - changing its collective mind. 

http://www.foxnews.com/category/world/world-religion.html

There are hundreds of stories here of all kinds.  I don't happen to read just this site, but this is the one mentioned.  You must be speaking of yourself in jumping at your own shadows , for that certainly isn't remotely applicable here.    The likes of Melissa Harris-Perry stir up fear and imagined insult every single day.  Perhaps you are thinking of the wrong channel. 

The term is Christianity, by the way.  

Please understand this:  No one follows "x". 

'x" is not the central figure of our faith.

It is the height of bigotry to insist on using "xianity" despite being informed otherwise multiple times that this is not the acceptable term. 

Yet you would scream loudly at anyone who used other terms after being requested not to do so by multiple people.

Edited by TranquilMind
  • Like 2

That's just it, though. Even though I'm Christian I don't like the super focus on Christmas here and the exclusion of other beliefs. The schools I substitute in have a large population of Burmese refugees. Most of those students do not celebrate Christmas but they have tons of Christmas themed books and worksheets right now. They even had Elf on a Shelf in their classroom who reports to Santa on their behavior.

I couldn't care less about the holiday of Christmas as celebrated in this country.

The point is, it does have historical precedence and you can't simply pretend it doesn't exist, as the current trend suggests.   

I don't know where all of you folks whose schools are inundated with Christmas references live. Here, it isn't even mentioned.  Like literally. 

There are hundreds of stories here of all kinds.  I don't happen to read just this site, but this is the one mentioned.  You must be speaking of yourself in jumping at your own shadows , for that certainly isn't remotely applicable here.    The likes of Melissa Harris-Perry stir up fear and imagined insult every single day.  Perhaps you are thinking of the wrong channel. 

I'm not denying events inspired by religions are newsworthy, I'm denying the image Fox News presents that there is a "war" going on, or that there exists a conspiracy to eradicate your religion from the nation.

The term is Christianity, by the way.  

Please understand this:  No one follows "x". 

'x" is not the central figure of our faith.

It is the height of bigotry to insist on using "xianity" despite being informed otherwise multiple times that this is not the acceptable term. 

Yet you would scream loudly at anyone who used other terms after being requested not to do so by multiple people.

Your insistence on this issue just makes everything else you say less and less worthy of consideration.

You know exactly why the term "xian" is used.  You know what it means.  Keep arguing about it if you'd like, but I don't think you'll be happy about what it does to your relevance and credibility here.

Your insistence on this issue just makes everything else you say less and less worthy of consideration.

e.

Oh, honestly, I think that this is the least of her worries. She lives in a state where apparently they can't celebrate Christmas. I just went to a Christmas concert in which the finale was a Christmas song played (and chosen) by a very talented Jewish boy. Christmas songs were also happily played by Children apparently of Iranian, Chinese, and Indian heritage, not likely all converts.

Tell you what, if you want respect as a Christian, move to Seattle.

Though I would say generally it's a pretty cool crowd that will let you do what you like even if it is flip off passing traffic whilst screaming "OCCUPY!" In my experience though, most people are much more polite. Even if you wish them a happy Christmas. ;)

Edited by Tsuga
  • Like 2

I don't know where all of you folks whose schools are inundated with Christmas references live. Here, it isn't even mentioned.  Like literally.

NYC. I wouldn't say we're exactly "inundated" with Christmas, but it's definitely mentioned, and schools decorate for the holiday and all that.

Western New York. Inundated is an overstatement, but from public-school-provided therapy my son brought home a drawing of santa with a xmas tree. And in years past, when he was enrolled, his class has had an xmas party with xmassy stuff. This year I even saw a menorah with (electric) candles during Hannukah where they* added one (electric) candle every day (which I'm aware is not christian nor related to xmas, but *is* definitely religious). And they had some Happy Kwanzaa poster as well, though I think Kwanzaa is not part of a religion as much as... not sure... black pride? IIRC in Texas I've also seen xmassy stuff in the public schools.

*Don't know who - it was in the hallway next to the front office - probably some staff member doing that, not some non-Jewish kid forced to partake in religious stuff.

ETA: For the record, I think Elf of the Shelf is weird, but by no stretch is is related to any world religion as far as I'm aware... I don't think the bible teaches that you should put an Elf on a Shelf to celebrate Jesus's birth or anything. My Jehovah's Witness friend in college didn't even do any xmas trees or presents etc because that stuff is pagan and not christian.

• Like 1

ETA: For the record, I think Elf of the Shelf is weird, but by no stretch is is related to any world religion as far as I'm aware... I don't think the bible teaches that you should put an Elf on a Shelf to celebrate Jesus's birth or anything. My Jehovah's Witness friend in college didn't even do any xmas trees or presents etc because that stuff is pagan and not christian.

Not religious but related to Christmas. The school I was referring to has many students who do not celebrate Christmas, though. TM was saying schools don't discuss Christmas at all anymore to be PC but that's not what I see at all. I honestly think schools should just stick to winter activities before break. If they can't do that then all celebrations should be included but that's not what I see.

• Like 2

Texas has a Christmas law (though the Rabbi at the signing two years ago joked that he was under the impression it was the Hannukah law).  It covers all winter holidays, actually, though the most common two in the part of San Antonio where I live are definitely Christmas and Hannukah.  Children have *always* been able to wish people Merry Christmas or Happy Hannukah or Happy Kwanzaa or whatever they want.  This law specifically protects schools and teachers to be able to do so as long as everything is represented.  My youngest son was in kindergarten the Christmas after the law was signed.  He came home with various coloring pages including Santa, a nativity scene, a menorah, and a dreidel, and schools can have decorated trees (and call them Christmas trees), December break can be called Christmas break, holiday break, winter break, or whatever you want to call it, and any image commonly associated with any winter holiday can be displayed.  The law only requires that more than just Christmas be included in those images which is only fair because, while most people around here celebrate Christmas, whether religiously or secularly, there are people of non-Christian religions who celebrate other holidays.  FWIW, Adrian's kindergarten teacher had been teaching 27 years and *every* December she played a lot of Christmas music including religious ones in the classroom and wished the kids Merry Christmas (and Happy Hannukah when that holiday occurred) and no one said a word.  The law only makes it so school districts don't have to waste time and money if/when people sue them.  It didn't substantially change how schools and teachers actually operated in most of the state.

• Like 3

What?  You mean that you don't follow "x" or know people who do? 

It is just another "microaggression", to co-opt the latest politically correct vernacular. 

All right, look.

X is short for Christ because it represents the Greek letter chi. It has been used by monks and other Christians for over a thousand years. I know you know this, because it's been explained to you.

You are welcome to your feelings, and to be fair, I don't know why albeto keeps using it around you unless she enjoys seeing you get irritated, but seriously - you gotta let it go. It can't be good for your blood pressure.

• Like 1

Even if you assume this was blown way out of proportion, it is still incomprehensible.  This is a public school.   There shouldn't have been any mention of Islam.  Since this was a geography class, maybe if they learned which was the predominant religion in each location they studied.  But, nothing about any religion.  

You can't give a child at the high school a good education without covering the basics of the predominant religions of the world.  It underlies history, geography, government, and current events.  An adult living in a diverse country, especially one that counts religious freedom as a fundamental right, should have a basic understanding of the beliefs of their neighbors.

That would be "Christian" beliefs, as you well know, and yes, Fox indeed seems to pick up on most religiously-based stories, regardless of content. 

I doubt there are many schools left in this political environment where teachers or staff dare to even admit to celebrating a "Christian" holiday today.  They are instructed to be completely secular, even though Christmas is a national holiday.  They have to say things like, "Have a happy winter break" even though the national holiday is Christmas Day. 

Our local public schools are absolutely full of Christmas.  Bursting at the seams with it.  But if you live in an area that is very diverse, then it is wise that your public schools are trying to create an environment where each child feels welcome, regardless of their religious beliefs.  If the staff is doing it from fear, the administration would be wise to hold training so that everyone has a solid understanding of the kinds of things that are appropriate under our Constitution, and the kinds of things that are not.  This would go a long way to minimize the fear and allow everyone to exercise their rights, and be respectful of the rights of others.

That's good that you have this freedom.

I'm in one of those political battleground states where you really need to keep your mouth shut if you aren't exceedingly politically correct in all forms in any sort of public situation, as dictated by the PC police. 

I haven't even looked, since I am not party-aligned, but I suspect that certain political candidates score high on polls here by those who have been shut down. 

"Political correctness" is generally about being sensitive to and respectful of those whose beliefs or experiences may be different than your own.  In some cases, "political correctness" is about allowing others their constitutional rights; in other cases it's basic politeness.  Of course, things are taken overboard now and again, but in many cases, efforts to be "PC" are about reaching out to our neighbors and making them feel welcome.

I don't know about examples of teachers being reprimanded, but I live in a state that could be described the same way.

My niece and nephew are in one of the top public school districts in the nation (same state)--7th and 9th grades--and they have both said that they don't feel free to express their religious beliefs--even in a peaceful way or just stated as fact between friends or classmates.  Their administrators have basically banned students from talking about any religious beliefs, period.  I don't think my niece and nephew are exaggerating things.  They're fairly mainstream, level-headed kids from a family with moderate opinions.  They've expressed that this is just the norm in their schools.  The expectation is that they won't share their religious beliefs because teachers and admins fear that it will lead to discord.  

I'm not saying this can be "cited" by a court case, media article, etc.  It's just their experience.  They aren't the kind of family to respond in any way that would be officially "cited".  But the message to the students / youth is loud and clear.  

This is sad, and not at all the way it should be in a public school.  Obviously there's a line between expressing one's own religious beliefs and proselytizing, but the case law is clear that students have the right to religious expressing in public schools.  If this was my family, I'd do a little after-school unit study to make sure my kids knew their rights. 

I've observed a Kindergarten classroom where Santa was taken as a given, despite the fact that around 20% of the students were of a background that one could reasonably assume did not include Santa.  It can be rather cruel to imply to young children that everyone is going to be visited by Santa when it's clear that is not the case.  Using the Santa myth in an effort to control the behavior of such kids is even worse.

NYC. I wouldn't say we're exactly "inundated" with Christmas, but it's definitely mentioned, and schools decorate for the holiday and all that.

This is the case where I live also.  The stories that make the news are often ones where either people on one side or the other are not sensitive to or respectful of the beliefs/experiences of others, or school staff do not understand the difference between a student freely exercising/expressing their own religious beliefs (usually acceptable under the first amendment) vs. someone in a position of authority, who works for the government (a public school teacher, in this case), creating an atmosphere that implies there is a particular/superior state-sanctioned religion to which all should adhere.

• Like 1

... I don't know why albeto keeps using it around you unless she enjoys seeing you get irritated, but seriously - you gotta let it go. It can't be good for your blood pressure.

Thanks for the concern for my health, but really, this insistence on demeaning Christianity/Christian believers by one poster on one site - and this is exactly the intent -  is not affecting my blood pressure. 

However, that doesn't mean that I'm not going to call it when I see it. 

Some people here fairly address incidents of bigotry they notice and I'm all for that, but that confrontation is supported by others only if said bigotry was against an acceptable target. 

Nope.   Let's at least be consistent. 

• Like 3

Oops, I've failed to give a good education! We don't do religious education of any kind at home unless a child specifically requests it. 

Dd18 was interested in Judaism, so we did study the major Jewish festivals. 

Dd16 is likely to be a literature student at tertiary level, so it's handy for her that's she's decided to do a comparative study of religion. But even if she hadn't, meh...you can make up for any biblical or other religious illiteracy down the track rather easily.

No, it isn't because we are 'scared' of religion. It's because there are so many other things we'd rather study and value more.

I see it exactly in reverse.  It is very hard to understand culture, history, or politics, or literature (in English anyway) if one lacks biblical literacy.  It was very important to me foundationally,especially early on. 

This is definitely proselytizing/promoting. 

I see it exactly in reverse.  It is very hard to understand culture, history, or politics, or literature (in English anyway) if one lacks biblical literacy.  It was very important to me foundationally,especially early on. 

In your opinion, the assignment was proselytizing/promoting islam, but to legitimately understand culture, history, politics, or literature (in English anyway), requires biblical literacy? How is one proselytizing while the other is simply educating? What's the difference? 

• Like 1

Yes!!!!!!

OK, guys, it took me a little time, but I finally got around to researching "Xian" :

Xi'an ([É•iÌ.aÌn]Chinese西安), formerly romanized as Sian,[1][2] is the capital of Shaanxi province, located in the northwest of the People's Republic of China, in the center of the Guanzhong Plain.[3] One of the oldest cities in China, the city was known as Chang'an before the Ming dynasty.[1] Xi'an is the oldest of the Four Great Ancient Capitals of China, having held the position under several of the most important dynasties in Chinese history,[4]including ZhouQinHanSui, and Tang.[4] Xi'an is the starting point of the Silk Road and home to theTerracotta Army of Emperor Qin Shi Huang.[1]

Now it all makes so much more sense--

Uh-oh, wait--

Is that an.......apostrophe?  

:huh:

• Like 3

Seattle suburb. They touch on all the holidays as they come up, but do not celebrate any one by itself as that would ask students to celebrate a holiday they don't believe in but people say Merry Christmas to one another. So you get Eidi Qurban and Dia de los Muertos and Christmas and all that good stuff. And a winter concert with Christmas and Hanukkah songs.

Same as for the last 30+ years. May the hysteria never reach us...

Edited by Tsuga
  • Like 1

Thanks for the concern for my health, but really, this insistence on demeaning Christianity/Christian believers by one poster on one site - and this is exactly the intent -  is not affecting my blood pressure.

TranquilMind, I'm pretty sure mindreading is impossible. I don't know why albeto does it, nor do you.  I do know that every time it comes up, you go off on a tangent about it.

I see it exactly in reverse. It is very hard to understand culture, history, or politics, or literature (in English anyway) if one lacks biblical literacy. It was very important to me foundationally,especially early on.

Interestingly enough it's also been important and helped greatly with understanding for my dds to not only have biblical literacy but to study other religions. Oldest has studied Christianity, Judaism, and Islam in depth this year in school and it's been a good thing. I don't understand how or why you see one as good and the other as bad.

• Like 4

Yeah, I think it's impossible to understand the reformation without understanding what was happening with Islam around that time, or the map of Europe and the Crusades without getting Islam. Not to MENTION, the Iran Hostage Crisis followed by the Contras--this requires an understanding of Marxism, Socialism, the Cold War, Islam, the Southern Strategy, and on and on, but it is just ​so crucial to understanding what is going on now. And also you get the imperialism of the US by Isabella and Ferdinand when you look at Granada and Islam and Spain. 

I think that Biblical literacy is crucial for understanding Shakespeare but so is Islam to understanding Cervantes and Lermontov who wrote literature in countries abutted by majority-Muslim states. Othello is a Muslim name though understanding Islam and getting the references actually makes it clear that Othello was not Muslim.

But again, what the heck was going on at this school where children were asked to copy a statement of faith they hardly understood and which has major spiritual consequences according to some individuals? It doesn't seem to be civic or historical or anthropological education at all, but instead provocation or sheer ignorance.

The Saudi flag, for crying out loud! Seeing as how I don't know many capitalist, royalist people (I tend to hang with the social democrats, Muslim, Christian, Jewish, you name it), I do not know any Muslim who finds Saudi Arabia to be representative of a good Muslim state in any way. Not that that matters in a classroom, but what a choice of copywork!

• Like 2

TranquilMind, I'm pretty sure mindreading is impossible. I don't know why albeto does it, nor do you. I do know that every time it comes up, you go off on a tangent about it.

Except it isn't just by one poster. I use it all.the.time. here and elsewhere in written communication. And I am, in fact, a Xian. Why do I use it? Because it's easier to type and is a *perfectly valid* term for someone who follows Christ. If someone insists on making-up an offense that isn't there, even after it has been explained, that is no longer my problem. It isn't an insult.

TranquilMind, The fact that you continue to complain about it - but only when done by one particular poster when several people use it - tells me that you just want to argue with that person.

ETA: it originally read as if I were talking to Tanaqui.

Edited by 8circles

While I don't like the assignment for many reasons, the most important seems to be that it's offensive to muslims. It seems kind-of like learning about xianity by pretending to be baptized.

I don't mind so much the hijab part, but I'm not sure if that's something that muslims would think is appropriate.

Edited by 8circles
  • Like 3

The ridiculousness over the use of the term Xian reminds me of the great flap some people get themselves into over the use of the word niggardly. Even when it is pointed out to them that the word has no racial meaning, they insist on being offended because it  sounds like it does.

There's no arguing with some people. They insist on clinging to their ignorance.

• Like 1

The ridiculousness over the use of the term Xian reminds me of the great flap some people get themselves into over the use of the word niggardly. Even when it is pointed out to them that the word has no racial meaning, they insist on being offended because it  sounds like it does.

Which is why I don't use that word. I know it's going to upset some people, and it's just as easy for me to say "stingy" than to carry around a dictionary everywhere. I mean, I *do* carry around a dictionary everywhere*, but that's beside the point.

* In the form of my Kindle, but pre-kindle I frequently did bring a dictionary as light reading material.

• Like 1

Study of world religions is part of the AP Human Geography curriculum. I studied world religions in social studies classes throughout middle school and high school and college. It's an important part of history, literature, culture... Of course it has a place in public schools.

Edited by Caroline
  • Like 6

Agree on both points.

This is definitely proselytizing/promoting.  To say merely that Muslims believe this and that to convert is different. 

To close the school is definitely an overreaction as well. 

Law enforcement advised them to close the school.  Can you imagine if they didn't close the school and some kind of horrible act of violence occurred against students and it came out that the school could have prevented it by following law enforcement's advice?

• Like 1

I'm late to this one, but many of the statements here misunderstand the need to teach about the basic beliefs of the most popular world religions. And, as such, this was sort of a depressing thread to read. I mean, how are we ever going to understand history or current events if we refuse to allow kids to know what Muslims or Christians or Jews believe? It's such a no brainer. Yeah, it needs to be handled carefully - this is what this group believes, this is their texts, these are their statements of faith, etc. But learning those things is simply not proselytizing.

I found the assignment (which was just to try drawing or copying the calligraphy of the shahada to appreciate the artistry of it) to be slightly misguided though not a huge deal. I mean, to learn about Islam, students should learn what the shahada is and what it means. To appreciate Islamic art, students should view and potentially imitate Arabic calligraphy. Probably better not to ask kids to copy this statement. But a question on a test like what is the statement is fine. Kids should memorize that, and the ten commandments and various other basic things for cultural literacy. It's important.

• Like 6

I couldn't care less about the holiday of Christmas as celebrated in this country.

The point is, it does have historical precedence and you can't simply pretend it doesn't exist, as the current trend suggests.   

In the state of Virginia, where this event takes place, local ministers are invited to personally invite Jesus to attend board meetings (even thought this is illegal), and a half hour drive away, another school leads kids to personally invite Jesus to get involved in their new school (again, illegal). To argue that Jesus is the only god assumed to be real, good, and in some way functionally effective by representatives of our [secular by design] government, but his supposed birthday, recognized by the federal and every state government, is something people have to pretend doesn't exist, is nonsensical.  

• Like 2

Yes!!!!!!

OK, guys, it took me a little time, but I finally got around to researching "Xian" :

Xi'an ([ɕí.án]; Chinese: 西安), formerly romanized as Sian,[1][2] is the capital of Shaanxi province, located in the northwest of the People's Republic of China, in the center of the Guanzhong Plain.[3] One of the oldest cities in China, the city was known as Chang'an before the Ming dynasty.[1] Xi'an is the oldest of the Four Great Ancient Capitals of China, having held the position under several of the most important dynasties in Chinese history,[4]including Zhou, Qin, Han, Sui, and Tang.[4] Xi'an is the starting point of the Silk Road and home to theTerracotta Army of Emperor Qin Shi Huang.[1]

Now it all makes so much more sense--

Uh-oh, wait--

Is that an.......apostrophe?

:huh:

That is 西安 xian, merci beaucoup!!! Urbs in provinciÄ finitimÄ est. 她总是用这个è¯ï¼Œæžå¾—我糊里糊涂了,ä¸çŸ¥é“她的æ„æ€ã€‚yes, I am always confused whenever I see this pinyin used to represent 基ç£å¾’, especially when it is lower case "x". Thanks a lot!
  • Like 1

That is 西安 xian, merci beaucoup!!! Urbs in provinciÄ finitimÄ est. 她总是用这个è¯ï¼Œæžå¾—我糊里糊涂了,ä¸çŸ¥é“她的æ„æ€ã€‚yes, I am always confused whenever I see this pinyin used to represent 基ç£å¾’, especially when it is lower case "x". Thanks a lot!

I was just trying to infuse a little humor here...Seemed like things were getting a bit heated.  

• Like 1