Menu

OK, what did I miss?

Slache

The things you apparently miss when you live on the other side of the world and sleep during an american day...  I saw the thread go up, and there's like 3 spin offs but none with enough detail to know what happened

I feel left out now, lol.

• Like 4

The things you apparently miss when you live on the other side of the world and sleep during an american day... I saw the thread go up, and there's like 3 spin offs but none with enough detail to know what happened

I feel left out now, lol.

Or when you spend the day doing Christmas shopping!

I don't care about the politics. What was said about Muslims?

Thanks.

In a nutshell, a prominent public figure exclaimed, "They exist! Ermergehd!!!1"

To which the rest of the civilized world replies, "Yeah, and?"

Edited by albeto.
  • Like 4

:iagree:

Fortunately, the negative comments seemed to be focused on a certain controversial candidate, and unless I missed something, everyone was supportive of both Muslims in general and umsami in particular.

I couldn't possibly imagine which one. ;)

• Like 1

Yes... thread mentioned a political figure and their views, but toward the end got into others... it got deleted for that AFAIK, not at all due to any boardie condemning Muslims.

It's just what's going around the US in some circles at the moment.

FWIW to those who read the thread, an analyst on NBC News tonight pretty much mentioned what I've seen IRL at school regarding base support.  It made me think my corner of life isn't so different from the nation.  It makes sense since we're an average public school.

• Like 2

I missed it all, which is probably a good thing.

I have to admit I liked that thread.  It made me think a majority of board members were thoughtful, educated people.

I suppose other threads do too, but with all the controversy we can get, it was nice seeing a bit of togetherness from the variety of folks who posted.  It gave me a bit of hope for our country/world.

I was sorry to see it deleted when I got on this evening, but I fully understand SWB's rules and why they are there.

• Like 9

I loved that thread. I knew it could not last, but it was interesting to see that many of us, though of different political positions in general, nevertheless see this one candidate's rhetoric in the same or similar ways.

• Like 5

I only got to read the first page of the other thread.  It was gone before I could respond that I had read a poll indicating a clear split between those supporting said individual (blue collar workers) and those not supporting said individual (white collar workers).  Several people were wondering where the support was coming from.

Edited by Lea in OK

The NBC analyst was probably using similar polls.  As I said before, it totally matches what I see at school with the kids I work with (hate/prejudice tends to show itself in our lower level academic ability kids and rarely, if ever, in our higher level academic kids). Many times I know kids are parroting their parents due to comments like "My dad said..."

The difficult part is hate/prejudice/racism, etc, is difficult to combat with those who tend to be unable to do deeper level reasoning (with any subject).

I also NEED to tack on what I wrote in that thread that this does NOT mean lower academic talented kids have less value as people or whatever any more than my total lack of artistic talent makes me have less value.  All people have value.  We are all talented in different areas of life and we all have our niches where we shine.

It just means it's difficult for deeper level reasoning to be useful at changing prejudice, etc, as they can't easily process that level thinking for anything (math, science, history, etc).  Their brains are not wired to handle that just as mine is not wired to see fashion, draw, paint or any similar talent.  When we teach these classes, we're often working at about an 8th grade level (sometimes 4th grade) and even then we're teaching sound bites (facts) and simple statement reasoning more than deeper level reasoning.  We use hands on (if we can).  Even then, grades here are often lower than in the deeper classes.  It's just really tough for most of these to process or remember anything not directly affecting their lives.  

• Like 1

The NBC analyst was probably using similar polls.  As I said before, it totally matches what I see at school with the kids I work with (hate/prejudice tends to show itself in our lower level academic ability kids and rarely, if ever, in our higher level academic kids). Many times I know kids are parroting their parents due to comments like "My dad said..."

The difficult part is hate/prejudice/racism, etc, is difficult to combat with those who tend to be unable to do deeper level reasoning (with any subject).

I also NEED to tack on what I wrote in that thread that this does NOT mean lower academic talented kids have less value as people or whatever any more than my total lack of artistic talent makes me have less value.  All people have value.  We are all talented in different areas of life and we all have our niches where we shine.

It just means it's difficult for deeper level reasoning to be useful at changing prejudice, etc, as they can't easily process that level thinking for anything (math, science, history, etc).  Their brains are not wired to handle that just as mine is not wired to see fashion, draw, paint or any similar talent.  When we teach these classes, we're often working at about an 8th grade level (sometimes 4th grade) and even then we're teaching sound bites (facts) and simple statement reasoning more than deeper level reasoning.  We use hands on (if we can).  Even then, grades here are often lower than in the deeper classes.  It's just really tough for most of these to process or remember anything not directly affecting their lives.  

It also ties into the anti-intellectual stance that is sometimes pushed by politicians.  If they can convince people that intellectualism is bad, then anyone who has a more nuanced POV than you (generic) must be "bad," too.

The same is true to a certain extent for bashing the media.  Yes, our press leaves a lot to be desired nowadays.  I think almost everybody would agree on that.  But when you continually bash them and lump them all in together (the are some good media outlets) that lends to a general distrust and disbelief in anything and everything the media says.  So instead of disproving facts candidates fall back to attacking journalists and media outlets.  Ad hominem at its . . .. finest? worst?

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 2

It's pretty easy to consider "bad" things one doesn't understand.  I think we all do it to some extent.  It's likely a human reaction.

It's also easy to jump on the bandwagon when a charismatic person champions those thoughts.  It doesn't matter if that person is right or factual or similar.  It just has to seem that way.  A good snake oil salesman can make oodles of money because they are terrific at saying what people want to hear.

There was an older gentleman on NBC this morning complaining about how Muslims were responsible for all the bombings and killings, etc, and claiming that you don't see Christians or others doing this sort of thing.

Really?  Who did Columbine?  Va Tech?  Sandy Hook?  Colorado Springs?  Charleston?  Roseburg? The Holocaust?  Rwanda?  The Spanish Inquisition?  Salem? and many others.

History begs to differ with him, but that doesn't fit the convenient soundbite being championed.  And if one were to try to reason with him, that would all be dismissed as it's tough to make that connection if one can't think about it and see what connections are real.

More people are afraid of flying than driving.  Why?  They can't comprehend the statistics.  They only believe what they, personally, know and what they see in soundbites.  The vast majority of car accidents get very little news.

My MIL gave me my absolute best IRL teaching point about racism.  (She's one of the most racist folks I've ever met.)  

We were at a mall in FL overlooking an indoor ice skating ring.  She kept looking down at her arm.  I asked her what was wrong.  She told me, "Nothing.  I'm just trying to figure out if that girl over there is a ____ or if she just has a dark tan.  I have a dark tan, so I'm comparing.  What do you think?"

It blew my mind.  Her whole attitude toward that young lady was dependent upon her answer.  She'd never even met the gal, but that didn't matter.  If she just had a tan, she was fine - probably a great gal.  If not...

I use this example whenever racist crap (or plain discussions) come up in my classes.  Kids can often see just how stupid that is, but without it being pointed out to them, some don't get it.  They need that "aha" moment.

I need to find something similar with religious views.  It might help my corner of the world.  Fortunately, higher level academic kids rarely need to be taught that we're all human and good/bad traits come in all flavors - they aren't restricted to one (or two or anything not mine).  Those lessons have been learned (in my area) quite well already and there's a bit of diversity in the lunch tables/friendships and even relationships.  But with the other levels, sometimes (not always) there is still a need.

I'm pretty sure it's impossible to change my MIL's generation - at least for most. (sigh)  There's hope with the next generation - or at least I like to think there is.  I actually have seen change with some individuals.  If my hubby can overcome racism (he's definitely higher academic thinking level) I like to think it's possible for anyone, but again, without the ability to reason deeply, I need to come up with different ways - ways they can comprehend.

• Like 1