Menu

If you've lived abroad, what gifts did you appreciate?

Wendi

We have friends who are missionaries in France. They've lived in France for a few years, but recently moved to a new area and are having a hard time adjusting. (It's very urban, no yard to play in, they don't like their apartment much, new schools to adjust to, etc.) We were thinking of making up a little gift box to send them. My son thought the kids might like a Klutz book of some kind, and we're going to pick up a nice coloring book about the desert (we live in AZ, and they've never been here). What else do many Americans living in Europe miss?

I'd ask my friend for ideas of things her kids might enjoy, but their internet access is down, and I'd like to mail something soon. (We just got a letter from them today, and they're pretty discouraged.)

I just thought some of you Americans who live overseas (or have lived overseas) might have ideas. The kids range from preK to 5th grade.

Thanks,

Wendi

We have friends who are missionaries in France. They've lived in France for a few years, but recently moved to a new area and are having a hard time adjusting. (It's very urban, no yard to play in, they don't like their apartment much, new schools to adjust to, etc.) We were thinking of making up a little gift box to send them. My son thought the kids might like a Klutz book of some kind, and we're going to pick up a nice coloring book about the desert (we live in AZ, and they've never been here). What else do many Americans living in Europe miss?

I'd ask my friend for ideas of things her kids might enjoy, but their internet access is down, and I'd like to mail something soon. (We just got a letter from them today, and they're pretty discouraged.)

I just thought some of you Americans who live overseas (or have lived overseas) might have ideas. The kids range from preK to 5th grade.

Thanks,

Wendi

I was only 9, but I remember a church group sending me Hubba Bubba gum.

Do they have any fav. TV shows? Maybe a DVD or video of their fav. american TV show. TV was all in French and I was 9. :(

A new book, in English, to read. The library had only 2 shelves of books in English and I hard them all read by the end of our time there.

My grandma snuck in steaks on her visit. Meat was horribly expensive. :) She froze it solid and packed it in her suitcase.

Best of all--a letter addressed to me in the mailbox!!! We lived for the mail.

Thanks,

Wendi

My mom sends boxes to her missionary friends in the Ukraine. They like special things that are harder to find/unavailable like jell-o. A nice treat for each of the kids would be lovely. We've sent things like polly pockets which are light and small to mail and fun for the kids. Maybe some very typically American thing like Hallowe'en candy, a little decoration for their new place (a string of fall leaves from a craft store?), a fun craft kit. Depends on your budget, but how about webkinz if you think the parents would be ok with it, since it's online time? Photos of yourselves. Girl Scout cookies when those are available.

That's very sweet of you to be thinking of them now. I'm sure they'll be thrilled with the box.

Later, I'd ask your friend if there are things she can't find there, like make-up, or other products, that would be wonderful to have. Maybe you could start stashing things away to send for Christmas.

Food. Seriously. I lived in England for two years and I missed Kraft Dinner, Campbell's soup (their's tastes different), and Hershey's kisses. There were also some chocolate bars that I really missed like Reese Peanut Butter cups. I remember once we visited the Canadian embassy and the guard gave us a peanut butter cup - bliss.

Of course, now that we're back we miss food that was readily available in England, like Bistro gravy granules and takeaways.

We were missionaries in Bulgaria and it was funny the things we missed. With them in Western Europe they can probably get just about anything they need, but there are probably things they like that they can not get. I always asked for things like Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix (hated their dressing choices), and mac and cheese is always popular for the kids. Any food items that you know they like. My husband always asked for hot sauce and beef jerky.

TV is also a good thing. We had friends that would mail my husband tapes of football games and morning PBS shows for my kids. Don't edit out the commercials - those are important for staying touch with American culture. We sometimes enjoyed those as much as the show.

If the kids are readers, I'd also recommend paperback books. It can sometimes be difficult to find good books in English for children. We could find some books for us, but had a hard time finding kids books.

That's off the top of my head. There's other ideas we use for sending stuff to some friends in Papua New Guinea, but likely your friends in France can get things like toilet paper and chips. :001_smile:

Well, I was all set to respond with ideas and it looks like they beat me too it.:D For me, it was all about things that I couldn't get there that I missed from home. Food items that I couldn't buy there, either "essentials" or treats, were my favorites. Where we lived there was no peanut butter and no red licorice, two things I craved while pregnant and begged others to send to me. We were lucky enough to have access to some American television and were able to rent movies from the local movie store, but if we wouldn't have had that, I would have loved a DVD series of a favorite show (although you will have to check the compatability issues with European versus American). Books in English were also a huge blessing, since I really couldn't find them many places. Our experiences were that toys weren't such a big deal since they were readily available. However, our kids were young at the time and weren't "into" anything that was considered popular. For the older kids, something that is considered "cool" here that they can't get in France might be an idea.

I also second the idea of asking them what they need or miss when you get the chance. Even if it is something larger that they plan to purchase themselves, it is nice to know someone is willing on the other end to do the legwork of purchasing it and shipping it.

Oh, the last thing I thought of is phone cards, depending on their situation. Calling home can get expensive but hearing familiar voices on the other end can be a lifesaver.

Ahh, I guess one more.... just try to stay in touch as regularly as you can. Weekly (or whatever works for you) e-mails, have your kids send cards etc. Contact with family and friends can really brighten a day at opportune times.

I once flew to Europe to meet an MD I met on line (not romantic) and we drove to Paris to meet someone else we had met on line. I had a layover in Chicago and a third person I'd met on line who was close chums with the Paris person met me at the airport with steaming homemade vegetarian food and a big package for Sophie. It was boxes and boxes of Saran Wrap!

Try asking them a bit what they miss without saying you will be sending it. HTH

Ahh, I guess one more.... just try to stay in touch as regularly as you can. Weekly (or whatever works for you) e-mails, have your kids send cards etc. Contact with family and friends can really brighten a day at opportune times.

That is so true. It's surprising who you hear from and how much it means to you. We had little ladies that wrote us every week, and didn't hear from my brother in law for months on end. That lifeline is so important to feeling connected to what's happening at home...

Thanks,

Wendi

Ask if there are holiday foods that you might send. Brownie mix, American brown sugar, muffin mix, chocolate chips and American cake mix were things that I bought at military commissaries when I had the chance.

Books were a huge thing, especially easy to read chapter books for my beginning readers. A box of books from the grandparents was always a great thing. My MIL used to scour the clearance section of the used bookstores for us.

chocolate chips for making cookies

Butterfingers (but that's just me and they're only for me)

taped shows for the kids (my dad records Arthur, Liberty Kids, things like that) but that's not as necessary anymore with the internet. If you pay, you can get many of these shows from iTunes (if you have a US credit card and can get into the US store online)

my parents always bring Crest (in the big tubes, since we can only get little tubes and I don't like those) and Stretch Island flat fruit (my kids love these)

English-language books. Again, these can now be more easily ordered from Amazon UK but that's pricy.

I would also recommend anything that would enable the kids to stay in touch with American culture. Growing up overseas, that was what I later found out I missed out on. Just stupid things, like Oreos or kid "trends" like Webkinz.

Maybe some crafty types of things for Thanksgiving? Like the kind you get from Oriental Trading? We never did much for Thanksgiving when we lived overseas when I was a child, and it would have been nice to have had something to make that connection. Or maybe Halloween, although they may not do Halloween.

We live overseas now, and when we go back to the States, a lot of what we do is to try to give the kids a connection to American culture.

Good luck and have fun with the care package -- I'm sure it will be appreciated.

S

My kids enjoy getting magazines from America in English. They also enjoy poptarts, cds, gummy worms (can't get them here a lot), my girls love getting nice lotion, chapstick from Bath and Body, and books. My son loves getting those little boxes of legos and books.

We also enjoy getting school supplies--notebooks, crayons, colored pencils, folders, etc. We can get those things here, but, they're so expensive it's ridiculous (almost $4.50 for a 3-subject notebook).

Movies from home are great like someone said with the commercials in it. You don't get to see those.

But, I think the big thing for my dc and my dh and I are magazines. They are just so fun to read!

Food--peanut butter, microwave popcorn, cranberry sauce (Thanksgiving is coming up!!), molasses, maple syrup, any sort of baking mix (brownies, muffins, whatever), Twizzlers (remind me to tell you my funny Twizzlers story some day), Hershey's chocolates, chocolate chips for cookies (they have them, but it's not the same), canned pumpkin (Thanksgiving is coming up!).

If she's not in Paris, she probably doesn't have access to an English-speaking library. Try reading material--magazines, paperbacks, those little activity books for kids. It'd be expensive to ship a whole lotta books, so maybe magazines would be a good way to go.

Books and comic books. It is very difficult to get English language books in France (especially for children). Films, dvds of tv shows and story tapes/cds would also be a nice bit of escapism.

I hope they settle in and feel more at home soon.

I think all the ideas given are nice. However, since I live overseas (originally from Brazil - living in the US) I would say that the thing I appreciated most is when people ask me what I would like. It is nice to get anything, but maybe there is something that they need or want that you cannot guess. Ask them, they will appreciate the thought. And if they say, "oh, we really do not need/want anything" then you can send whatever fits your fancy.

They will certainly appreciate anything you send them, even the thought alone is appreciated. I will thank you in their behalf, for being thoughtful.

Be well

Miriam

I haven't read all the other responses, so I may be repeating, but some ideas that we appreciate...

Twizzlers

Sweet Tarts

Reeses Peanut Butter Cups

Goldfish crackers

Graham crackers

dry onion soup mix

dry ranch dressing mix

dry italian dressing mix

We can get chocolate chips here, but if they can't get that in France, they would probably love it.

Also, dvd's are great. I had a friend who spent a few weeks taping Arthur shows for us and gave us the video. The kids loved it. There are lots of great old shows available on dvd now - Andy Griffith Show, Leave it to Beaver, etc. Also current shows that they can't see over there. My kids keep checking USA network web site to see Monk. Unfortunately a lot of them we can't access because of being in England. I expect they would have the same problem in France.

Really, any gifts are appreciated. Years ago my oldest two received beach towels from a Christian school. A classroom had 'adopted' us and each student signed the towel. My boys have been using those towels as bath towels for 8 years. I'm sure they'll love anything you send.

In addition to the package, try to write to them often. E-mails are great, but letters are wonderful.

It's wonderful that you're doing this for the family. It can get really lonely and depressing on the mission field and your love and attention can go a long way to keep them on the mission field.

That's off the top of my head. There's other ideas we use for sending stuff to some friends in Papua New Guinea, but likely your friends in France can get things like toilet paper and chips. :001_smile:

My BIL and family are in PNG and have been for years! We never know what to send them......then never ask for anything.

PEANUT BUTTER!!! KRAFT MAC & CHEESE DINNERS!!! TEDDY GRAHAMS!!! Those were the three things I missed the most when I lived in France--um, and, no, I wasn't a kid, I was doing my master's. Sad, huh? And, unless they took over a vcr, dvd player and tv, and had them all adjusted electronically to work over there, videos and dvd's won't work from here.

For the kids, books might be good, but they now sell a lot in English. If they like comic books, they are probably really hard to find. American board games would also be hard to get. I can guarantee you, though, they miss food more than anything else. Gum is very different, sweets are too--they can get amazing chocolate there, but other candy is totally different. Cookies, too. Peanut butter is nothing like here, and expensive.

Have you thought about just asking the parents what they would like, or what the kids would like? I know you would like to just send it, but maybe there is something the kids would adore, that you can get them?

Oh, and, men, please don't read this--one thing I could not stand there was sanitary pads--they are totally YUCK!!!!!

It's been a LONG time, but, seriously, toilet paper. What we had was about 2 steps away from tree bark. Perhaps it's changed for the softer, though. :)

Umm, I don't know how long ago you were there, but, even 18 years ago, when I lived there (I can't believe it has been THAT long!!!), they had toilet paper like here, at least in Paris. And the last time I went to visit, they had Charmin.

Peanut butter

Seasoning packets (tacos, burritos, sloppy joes, salad dressings, dip mixes--esp. vegetable and onion)

Baby wipes and hand sanitizer (this was in Africa 8 years ago, though, so take it FWIW)

Kool aid mix (not for me, but for other missionaries, this was a treat).

Red hots, or any special-time-of-year candy/treats (like candy corn or conversation hearts)

ROOT BEER! I miss it every time I leave this great nation. *sigh*

Flavorings (see root beer;-)

Red beans and rice mix. Yum.

Cans of pumpkin and cranberries. Gold, I tell ya, pure gold they were. Once we ate a pumpkin pie in July because we realized we wouldn't be around for Thanksgiving to eat the can I'd been saving for 1 1/2 years. (I had two cans and had used only one the previous Thanksgiving in an effort to have a pumpkin pie the following year. DS was 20 months old at the time. Guess what one of his first words was? "What do you want for breakfast, ds?" "PIE!") I don't know why I didn't think of using real pumpkin, but then I guess I can plead temporary insanity due to 4 incessant years of pregnancy and/or nursing. Cranberries, though, they are native to the USA and very rare in other countries.

Marshmallows.

Instant Pudding and Jello

I know there were others, but I'm thinking you can get such a wide variety of stuff in Carrefour (a huge French supermarket) that only the things that are seasonal here would be special.

ETA: Christian literature/bible studies/fiction. I was introduced to Francine Rivers this way and am glad someone thought of me and sent them along. Newspapers. Magazines.

Bendy straws for the kiddos. That was fun to get.

Ziplock baggies!!!! All sizes and shapes, please.

I have to admit--I missed root beer, but not everyone likes it--I found it in an American store when I was in Paris and pregnant, and paid $4 for an 8 oz. bottle every day for a week before I decided I couldn't waste the money and calories! And the seasoning packets are a great idea!!! They do have pumpkins, put I'm not a huge pie eater, so I don't know about canned pumpkin, but tarts and pastries are so amazing there, I don't know about bringing the stuff for pumpkin pie. Plus, they do amazing puddings--and I don't eat jello, do most people, really?

There are some vegetables that, even in cans, are only seasonal there--like kidney beans, and some they don't get a lot of, so maybe some of that. But I had come back here to list cereal--that was another thing I could not stand there--I wanted a box of Kellogg's Raisin Bran so bad!!!! And good old Cheerios!!!! And I had a friend whose mom would send her a bag of Doritos a week! so sad--we were in the middle of Paris, and I was eating Raisin Bran, and she was eating Doritos! LOL