Menu

Tonsillectomy for recurrent strep?

Janie Grace

Has anyone BTDT? I think we may be on this path for ds. He's on his fourth round of strep since September and he recultures positive as soon as he finishes an antibiotic. Everyone else keeps getting it over and over again but everyone else at least tests negative after antibiotics. So I think he may be some kind of asymptomatic carrier and it's just STUCK in his tonsils and never leaves. Or something. I can't get a straight answer from the pediatrician and am going to an ENT next. This is just craziness.

Anyway, I would love to hear if anyone went this route and if it fixed the problem.

Edited by Janie Grace

I did and my DS did. They were constantly so enlarged it blocked his airway and was disturbing sleep. He has rarely been sick since we had them removed. The ped did try a longer dose of antibiotics and something else (4 yrs ago...) that didn't resolve the issue. We waited 6 mos to see if he would outgrow it, but the sleep apnea-type symptoms worsened.

I've a friend who did.  the dr didn't think her tonsils were that bad, and said it was an option, but he didn't think it was necessary. but if she wanted it, he'd do it.

then they did the surgery - they were *really* bad, just the outside looked fairly minor.

she was much better afterwards.

I had my tonsils out at nine because they took out my adenoids at the same time. I don't know if I had strep before that or not, but I have not had strep since then. Fwiw, DH just had strep a few weeks ago (a rare thing for him), but despite plenty of opportunities to share the germs, I did not get strep myself, not even a hint of a sore throat. So maybe not having the tonsils meant that it couldn't settle?

Had one of my boy's tonsils  out when he was about seven, his tonsils were impacted with strep. Once it was over, our frequent strep-a-thons amoung all four kids went from several times a year to maybe once every few years.

Had a family friend who once  boasted how her oldest dd never got ill, even though their doctor said her tonsils were full of strep.  Gee, lady, don't you think she might be infecting other kids?

Another mom told me after the fact that one of her twins had just been diagnosed with strep...mere hours before a birthday party held at one of those ball-pit places.  She had of course let her son in the pit with all the other kids, despite his fever and being very contagious, since she didn't want to spoil his brthday!

If you wonder why you don't really see a lot of those ball pit places around anymore, that is why.  Parents realized they were simply germ pits!

DS had a lot of strep when he was younger but too young to have the surgery. Every time they tested with the quick test it came back positive. He had other symptoms of course. The pediatrician sent a culture off and it came back negative during a time he didnt have any other symptoms but the quick test came back positive. She gave him a super strong antibiotic and he has only had strep once in the past 2 years. Quite a difference from having 8 seperate cases of strep in a year! I do know they will recommend having his tonsils removed if it starts up again now that he is older. They wanted him to be at least 3 years old and he was less than 2.

I basically insisted DD had to get her tonsils out after 6 strep infections in a year.  She had them removed and has had strep once in the 11 years since they were removed.

She was also CONSTANTLY sick with ear infections, sinus infections, etc prior to removal. 

She has only needed antibiotics 3 times in the 11 years since removal also.

A couple of other odd things are that she was a very picky eater prior to removal & almost immediately after she would eat anything & everything.  She also was a teeny tiny thing who wasn't on the growth charts.  After removal?  Was in the 50th percentile within a year. 

I truly think she was so ill that her body was focused solely on functioning and not growing.