Menu

S/O Vitamix Hit me with your fav smoothie recipe

Chris in VA

I know I can google! But I like real people's opinions. :laugh:

I would want to make something sweet, but add in greens. I don't want to taste the greens! I tried carrot juicing with a juicer and it was horrible enough that I couldn't eat carrots for about a year, so when I say, "sweet," I don't mean sweet veggie taste. I want to HIDE the veggies but still include them. Or just fruit--that's ok, too. If you could include amounts of each ingredient, that would be killer.

And if you want to post a mixed drink kind of recipe, I am completely, completely ok with that. ;)

• Like 2

I like to do a variation of the Harley Pasternak's breakfast smoothie;

5 almonds

1 banana

1 small apple cored

3/4 cup nonfat plain greek yogurt

1/2 cup nonfat milk

1 teaspoon cinnamon

heaping handful of organic baby spinach

1 stalk celery

Ice

This is one of my favorite smoothies.  Delicious and filling.  Enjoy :)

• Like 4

If you are just starting out with green smoothies here is my favorite. It's pretty sweet and you can't taste the greens.

1 frozen banana (makes it creamy)

1 c. of assorted frozen fruit (mangos, pineapple, grapes are sweetest)

A handful of frozen blackberries or raspberries to give it a pretty color

2-3 cups of spinach (or any greens you choose, but spinach is the mildest)

Once that's in the Vitamix pour 1 cup of orange juice and 1 cup of water over it. Blend. Add more water or juice if needed.

• Like 3

Check out the Simple Green Smoothies website; they have a ton of great "beginning" hide the green smoothies.

If I'm making a smoothie for DH or the kids, the preferred ratio is 1 c liquid: 1 c greens: 1.5 c fruit. Usually I include 1/4-1/2 a banana to help "hide " the greens or 1/4 of an avocado. I have grown to like a greater greens to fruit ratio, but it took time.

Favorite mixes around here are

1 c water (or coconut water or milk) + 1 c baby spinach + 1 c kale + 2 oranges, peeled + 1 banana + 1 c frozen pineapple

2 c water + 2 c baby spinach + 2 pears cored + 1 banana + 1 c frozen mango

The above makes two adult and two toddler size servings :-)

I buy greens in bulk and freeze them in 1-2 c portions.

• Like 1

I know you wanted more specifics, but I am a very throw-and-go kind of smoothie maker.

I have found peanut butter and blueberries cover the color and taste for picky drinkers.

I also add leftovers to our smoothies. I might be kind of gross, but I'm fanatical about food waste. So - leftover breakfast oatmeal? In the smoothie. 

• Like 1

I am also a throw it in the blender smoothie maker.

My base is usually kefir.

Typical add in items:

Banana

Assorted berries

A few nuts or nut butter

Assorted seeds

Oatmeal

Spinach

Avocado

Spinach

I usually use spinach because my dd swears she can taste all other greens.

• Like 1

Just coming back to post the mango frozen daiquiri recipe... so delicious!

3 cups 1" mango chunks (really ripe, sweet mangoes are best)

3/4 cup cracked ice

4 ounces gold rum

1/3 cup water

1/4 cup fresh lime juice (approx 2 limes)

1/4 cup superfine sugar

Freeze the mango for about 2 hours.

Toss everything in the Vitamix and blend until really smooth.  Blend longer than you think you need to - creamy and smooth is the way to go.  Technically this serves four.  Ha.

• Like 3

I just got my VItamix this year from the company.  It is Refurbished but looked and worked like brand new.  I also got a hardback Recipe book, a dvd, and starter booklet.  It was great making monthly payments with no interest.  And It is the newest version with the taller pitcher.  I love it!  Mine is Red to match my Red Kitchen Aid.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I just got my VItamix this year from the company.  It is Refurbished but looked and worked like brand new.  I also got a hardback Recipe book, a dvd, and starter booklet.  It was great making monthly payments with no interest.  And It is the newest version with the taller pitcher.  I love it!  Mine is Red to match my Red Kitchen Aid.

The red one is pretty! I got the silver one (not stainless). Mine came with the same stuff as yours.

I am trying several of the smoothie recipes--thanks, everyone!!

first up is the Harley Pasternak-like one, because I have all the ingredients and because I want to share with dd, and she can't have pineapple. :thumbup1:  Off to try out the Vitamix!!

• Like 1

I use a generous hand full of  each frozen mango, pineapple and strawberries and a full fresh or frozen banana.  Mixed with a cup of so of prepared OJ and half a can of Coconut milk. It takes a bit more liquid if the banana is frozen.  

This combination is the kids favorite.  I sometimes add half a scoop of protein powder to give the kids a bit more nutrition than just fruit sugar, but not enough to really taste it.  You can add greens if you want.  I buy all the ingredients at Costco, so they are reasonably priced. 

This makes 3 regular size water glass smoothies in our house.

Edited by Tap

I mix 8 oz. of almond milk, 1/2 c. of yogurt, 2 c. spinach + 1 banana, 1 tbsp peanut butter and 2 tbsp cocoa powder for a chocolate banana peanut butter smoothie. It tastes better with sweetened almond milk and vanilla greek yogurt, but is also more caloric that way, if it matters to you. 

I seriously could have this every morning. 

Edited by poikar

Our first smoothie was a great success! I can't have milk, but yogurt is ok--I did the greens (spinach) with almonds (3 and a half), greek yogurt, a banana, an apple, almond milk and a stalk of celery. It was VERY green, but had a good and fresh taste. Super-smooth.

Going to try something else today,but I am out of almond milk and don't want to use juice because I want to cut down on sugar.

I actually have a 6300 Vitamix. (As you may recall, I ordered a refurbished before Xmas, but they screwed up the delivery time, and were also out of stock, so they sent me a brand new one at no extra charge, shipped in one day to compensate.)

• Like 2

Our first smoothie was a great success! I can't have milk, but yogurt is ok--I did the greens (spinach) with almonds (3 and a half), greek yogurt, a banana, an apple, almond milk and a stalk of celery. It was VERY green, but had a good and fresh taste. Super-smooth.

Going to try something else today,but I am out of almond milk and don't want to use juice because I want to cut down on sugar.

)

You can easily make almond milk in your vitamix. I actually make almond butter and then make the milk from the butter because I hate wringing out my almond milk.

I can't say if it is cheaper but I think it is better. When I make it myself I know what is in there and there are no fillers or shelf stabilizers. I found I can make a lot more milk from the same bag of almonds I converted to butter then just blending and wringing. I made my first foray using the vitamix booklet method for almond milk.

Either route it is easy peasy to make.

Milk: 1 cup almonds, 3 cups water. Optional date or two for sweetness. Blend. Put in nut bag and squeeze. Or in my case, a clean cloth bag.

From almond butter: 1 1/2 Tbl spoon butter per cup of water. Optional date or two for sweetness. Blend and pour.

• Like 1

I can't believe that I actually prefer a smoothie with greens in it now.  

My favorite is frozen peaches, frozen banana, ice, vanilla yogurt, milk and a big handful of fresh spinach and a bit of fresh carrot.  If I have grapes, pears,  cantaloupe, or apples I toss those in and blend.  (Dh thinks the grapes make it taste weird.)

• Like 1

My absolute favorite smoothie:

1 frozen banana + 1/2 cup frozen fruit

1/2 tsp vanilla

1 scoop wheatgrass powder

1 T. chia seeds

1T. nut butter  (my fave is sunflower)

1 1/2 T carob powder

1 1/4 cups water

I change up my nut butter and my fruits. Otherwise I eat this almost every day. It keeps me full for 4 hours!! You could also use almond milk or whatever, but I have found water to work just as well.

My very favorite smoothie:

Two cups milk

1 t vanilla

2 packets of stevia

! frozen banana

1 cup frozen peaches

1 cup frozen mango.

Blend and enjoy! My favorite thing about this particular combination is the texture. If you put the last three ingredients in all at one time and blend before anything can get soggy it is just like a high end milkshake made with hard ice cream.

I like green smoothies but my favorite smoothie is this

Carrot Cake Smoothie

Ingredients

1/3 cup chopped carrots

1 Tbsp chopped pecans

1 tsp raisins

1/2 cup milk (or almond milk)

1/2 banana, frozen

1/8 tsp cinnamon

1/8 tsp nutmeg

whirl it together.

Now the big thing- I can make almond milk from almond butter and water! Really?

• 2 weeks later...

If you are just starting out with green smoothies here is my favorite. It's pretty sweet and you can't taste the greens.

1 frozen banana (makes it creamy)

1 c. of assorted frozen fruit (mangos, pineapple, grapes are sweetest)

A handful of frozen blackberries or raspberries to give it a pretty color

2-3 cups of spinach (or any greens you choose, but spinach is the mildest)

Once that's in the Vitamix pour 1 cup of orange juice and 1 cup of water over it. Blend. Add more water or juice if needed.

I've kept this as an open tab, knowing I would use this . . . eventually!  Even my green-wary kids are drinking it.  I'll turn them over to the dark (green) side eventually. Thank you!!