Menu

Beast Academy Online!!! Woohoo!!

SeaConquest

I wonder what it means? Is it just that the books themselves will be available in online editions, as the hugger books are now, or that there'll be some kind of Alcumus or instructional component?

I thought I read (about a year ago) that their dream was to have an online component similar to Alcumus. Not sure where I got that however.

Wishing it was now.

Anyone care to elaborate on what alcumus is in its online component? I want to know what we might expect! :lol:

All month I have been thinking a math mammoth version of teaching textbooks would be IT. :lol:

• Like 2

2017! Well they're certainly announcing it ahead of time.  :blink:  I'm guessing that means they haven't actually done much with developing the program yet. Which means they haven't figured in the unforeseen glitches and problems that will inevitably happen. Which means that we should probably expect it closer to something like mid-2018. 

By then we'll probably all have brain implants that do math for us anyway. ;)

• Like 2

This is the schedule I found on their site:

We are hard at work on the fifth-grade books, with second grade to follow. The tentative production schedule is:

• 5A: Available now!
  • 5B: Spring 2016
  • 5C: Summer 2016
  • 5D: Winter 2016/17
  • 2A: Spring 2017
  • 2B: Fall 2017
  • 2C: Spring 2018
  • 2D: Fall 2018

Man, they had better stick to that production schedule.. We are right on their heels! With a bit of luck 5D will drop right when we need it. 

It's been a long time since I looked into this.  After 5D, what program do they advise?  Pre-Algebra??  

Yes, the recommend AOPS Pre-algebra after 5D (although some families on the board have successfully gone to pre-algebra after 4D, since the wait for grade 5 will be so long). 

Oh to put almost-7yo into Beast when she's ready for the books (obviously 2a will be too late and she'll finish MM2 this year) or to stick with MM?

Why so many good options, why, why?!?

My DD8 is doing MM3 and BA3 concurrently, and it's working pretty well. We're working sequentially through both, skipping some things in MM, but working straight through BA. For now, I don't want to give MM up (yet?), as DD is very comfortable with the structure and format. If you think your 7yo is up for it, I say why not?

Edited by greyseal

I use it for my dd's only program. We started at 3A (after working for a bit on mental math after 2 grade PS) and I tried to do it concurrently with Singapore, but she loves BA so much and it takes her a long time to get through the challenging programs.  A looong time.  So  her problem skills are so much higher (and her confidence level), though I am probably going add in one day to work on math facts. Otherwise I feel its complete.  

this is exciting:)  Do you guys use BA as your spine or as a supp?  Can it stand alone?  I am thinking of using it next year for my then 3rd grader.  Not sure if I want to switch to singapre in between then or stick with RS (currently on B)... thoughts?

My oldest would use Beast Academy exclusively if the whole program was out.  She started in fourth grade, went through books 3A-4B during that school year and has been using the last three books as they've come out.  It is the perfect program for her, but it wouldn't be for every student.  I'll probably use Beast Academy as a supplement for my other students but Singapore Math will be the main program for them.