Menu

Category 6 hurricane

Amira

There isn't really a category 6 for hurricanes, but if there were, Patricia would definitely qualify. It's going to hit Mexico in the next hour or two. The wind speed was 200 mph earlier and it's down to 190 now which is still crazy high.

We know a lot of people in that area and if we were still in Mexico, dh would be in Vallarta right now to help with the aftermath tomorrow. The coastline where it will hit doesn't have a lot of people since it will largely miss Vallarta and Manzanillo, but it still is likely to be devastating.   :(

• Like 2

Yes we heard that as well,  and DH and I are still laughing over the western hemisphere part. Where did that reporter go to school?

The prime meridian divides the western and eastern hemispheres.  There's four hemispheres.  I know this because my 4th grader learned it for recitation from Memoria Press's recitation booklets a couple of weeks ago!  

• Like 6

Yes we heard that as well,  and DH and I are still laughing over the western hemisphere part. Where did that reporter go to school?

The equator divides the earth into the Northern and Southern hemispheres.

The Western Hemisphere is that part of the earth west of the prime meridian and east of the 180th meridian.

• Like 5

It will have a devastating effect on human, animal, & plant life where it hits. The area will be changed for the worse for a long time to come. Hurricane recovery takes years & I cannot even imagine what something this strong will inflict.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:  for those facing it.

:crying:

• Like 1

The kids and I just finished the new Calpurnia Tate book and it spurred me to read Issac's Storm about the Galveston Flood, which I'm in the middle of now. I wonder how that hurricane would rank - obviously they didn't measure it using these modern methods, but it's still the biggest natural disaster in US history.

Here's hoping that people in Mexico stay safe and dry.

• Like 1

We are flooding here in north central Texas.

I think that's unrelated, but if the remnants of Patricia mix with your current system it'll be a bad thing.

Yes, what Texas is getting right now is unrelated to Patricia.  There's moisture coming from the north (which is why the flooding is worst up in the Dallas area) and the gulf.  Texas gets random hard, flooding rains randomly and this is one of them.  It is expected that this rain will combine with rain from Patricia causing a "perfect storm" so to speak "enhancing" the flooding in south Texas at least.

• Like 3

The kids and I just finished the new Calpurnia Tate book and it spurred me to read Issac's Storm about the Galveston Flood, which I'm in the middle of now. I wonder how that hurricane would rank - obviously they didn't measure it using these modern methods, but it's still the biggest natural disaster in US history.

Biggest disaster as far as loss of life.  Not the costliest hurricane.  It was a cat 4.  This one is stronger.

• Like 2

Biggest disaster as far as loss of life.  Not the costliest hurricane.  It was a cat 4.  This one is stronger.

On the 100th anniversary of the Galveston Hurricane KUT (Austin's NPR station) aired a special documentary entitled "No Tongue Can Tell It". It was a collection of recordings from survivors of the storm made from, if I remember correctly, the '30s through the '60s. The recordings were interspersed with excerpts from "Issac's Storm" and interviews with meteorologists and historians. It was phenomenal!

Unfortunately, several years ago I tried to find an archived recording from both KUT and NPR only to be told that one was not available.

• Like 1