Menu

Your favorite toddler safety products

AimeeM

We need two gates - one for the top of a set of stairs and one for the bottom of the same set of stairs. Marco is 3, but short for his age (about the size of your average 2 year old). The taller, the better. He likes to climb and has been a proficient escape artist since the ripe old age of about 1.

We need a video monitor - preferably one that we can mount and that will give a view of most of the boys' bedroom. The more durable, the better (I can't guarantee that it won't have things tossed at it, or if he can reach it, he will toss IT).

Door knob covers. Better ones than the ones we have now (Safety First, I think) - Marco can take those off in about 30 seconds. If there's no such thing as a better brand (or, rather, a "Marco-proof" brand), we'll just get more of the same; at least it provides a head start for me since I can hear him taking it off, lol.

In lieu of doorknob covers, we used hook and eye latches up where DS couldn't reach. Maybe you can use some as an additional line of defense.

We also had his bedroom door turned into a Dutch door so it'd be sturdier than a baby gate.

I can't recommend a camera, sorry. But maybe you could put a sheet of clear acrylic (screwed into the walls) in front of a camera in a corner to deflect missile attacks.

• Like 2

We need two gates - one for the top of a set of stairs and one for the bottom of the same set of stairs. Marco is 3, but short for his age (about the size of your average 2 year old). The taller, the better. He likes to climb and has been a proficient escape artist since the ripe old age of about 1.

We need a video monitor - preferably one that we can mount and that will give a view of most of the boys' bedroom. The more durable, the better (I can't guarantee that it won't have things tossed at it, or if he can reach it, he will toss IT).

Door knob covers. Better ones than the ones we have now (Safety First, I think) - Marco can take those off in about 30 seconds. If there's no such thing as a better brand (or, rather, a "Marco-proof" brand), we'll just get more of the same; at least it provides a head start for me since I can hear him taking it off, lol.

This might be a stupid question, but why can't he climb the stairs? Does he have a physical disability that would lead to broken bones if he fell?

I would sooner get bars on the windows--really good ones--and lock the doors to outside for nighttime, than use baby gates. Those gates are useless for all but the most compliant child. I also had real locks on the doors inside and out. As in, an adult would need a sledgehammer or a key or a real tool kit and skill as well as at least teen-girl strength to get the lock undone.

As for the stairs... well, maybe this is why my kids are the way they are, and this obviously doesn't apply to a child with hemophilia or something, but they fell down them a few times and then they stopped being so stupid about it. I mean they still climbed the stairs (and the bars at the crocodile exhibit at the aquarium, smart, kids, real smart), but the stairs weren't a risk to them because they just climbed up and down again.

My main fear would be windows, pools, and if he also enjoys drinking and eating bitter liquids, then I'd probably lock all the cleaning supplies, with a real lock, not a latch, in the shed.

I also taught my daughters to ride bikes at about 3. The wee one was 3 years, 3 months when she was riding a two wheeler. Then she rolled it down some stairs and now she has a permanent scar. We actually observed concrete coming out of the scar a year later. I can't afford all the stitches she'd get in an upper class family. The upside? She has been much better about being cautious around stairs. OH, but anyway, why did I do that. Because when they have bikes on, they have helmets on. So you get them a tiny little half pipe and set them to it. Woooohooo. That will take some of the energy out of them.

Jumping off high things such as from the garage roof the the ground at half-level strengthens their bones.

What is the camera for? Does he try to hurt himself, or is this just so you know if he's climbing out the window?

PS Terribly sorry if this is in the context of some disability which would make your son unable to do these activities. My advice is for a relatively normal... well no, not at all normal, really, but relatively healthy child who could withstand a few scars and who needed lots of bouncing and banging around to stay sane.

• Like 1

This might be a stupid question, but why can't he climb the stairs? Does he have a physical disability that would lead to broken bones if he fell? It's never preferable to us that he fall down the stairs if we can prevent it. He doesn't just "fall" - he flings himself where he wants to go (just like he doesn't "walk" - he runs, lol). He fractured his skull when he was younger and we were also told that for several years he would be prone to re-injuring his head if he were to fall.

I would sooner get bars on the windows--really good ones--and lock the doors to outside for nighttime, than use baby gates. Those gates are useless for all but the most compliant child. I also had real locks on the doors inside and out. As in, an adult would need a sledgehammer or a key or a real tool kit and skill as well as at least teen-girl strength to get the lock undone. 

As for the stairs... well, maybe this is why my kids are the way they are, and this obviously doesn't apply to a child with hemophilia or something, but they fell down them a few times and then they stopped being so stupid about it. I mean they still climbed the stairs (and the bars at the crocodile exhibit at the aquarium, smart, kids, real smart), but the stairs weren't a risk to them because they just climbed up and down again. 

My main fear would be windows, pools, and if he also enjoys drinking and eating bitter liquids, then I'd probably lock all the cleaning supplies, with a real lock, not a latch, in the shed. 

I also taught my daughters to ride bikes at about 3. The wee one was 3 years, 3 months when she was riding a two wheeler. Then she rolled it down some stairs and now she has a permanent scar. We actually observed concrete coming out of the scar a year later. I can't afford all the stitches she'd get in an upper class family. The upside? She has been much better about being cautious around stairs. OH, but anyway, why did I do that. Because when they have bikes on, they have helmets on. So you get them a tiny little half pipe and set them to it. Woooohooo. That will take some of the energy out of them. 

Jumping off high things such as from the garage roof the the ground at half-level strengthens their bones. 

What is the camera for? Does he try to hurt himself, or is this just so you know if he's climbing out the window? 

PS Terribly sorry if this is in the context of some disability which would make your son unable to do these activities. My advice is for a relatively normal... well no, not at all normal, really, but relatively healthy child who could withstand a few scars and who needed lots of bouncing and banging around to stay sane. 

I appreciate the suggestions.

It doesn't really apply to us for a few reasons.

1) Marco isn't typical, but also isn't disabled.

2) The biggie - the suggestions do not fit in with our parenting philosophy. No jumping from garages or letting the kiddos fall down the stairs to teach them to be more careful. Accidental falls will happen, but not if I can help it. Falling in the driveway and scraping a knee is one thing - not catching yourself jumping from heights of a half garage or tumbling down the stairs comes with risks we aren't going to take.

I actually ended up having to use less child safety features with Holly, because she viewed them as a challenge. We have a deck with no railing in yet because it is still being remodeled and she hasn't ever fallen off of it, because she can see the edge and knows about how high it is (four feet). The railing she'd scale, but no railing and she shrugs and moves on. Same thing with our child gates - we use those to corral toys, but not really to contain her, because she can bust out of every single one in a few seconds. But let her be the 'gate guard' to keep toys in their proper spots and she is all over that. Keeping her busy helping me is tear inducingly exhausting, but she loves it and it keeps her out of trouble. So she folds napkins and towels, puts dishes and silverware away, helps clean up toys and wipe things down, etc. She is about 29 months old and scary smart, but otherwise NT as far as we can tell.

Our favorite safety product is probably the magnetic cabinet locks. We keep the magnet completely inaccessible so that prevents poisonings, at least, in that we can lock stuff away in there with a reasonable assurance it will stay locked away.

Nothing has really prevented climbing or jumping, so we don't bother other than verbal reminders. She manages to keep herself uninjured despite her best efforts with 'cooking' when mommy isn't looking and such. But those magnetic locks rock.

Oh, does baby wrapping her (and keeping the infant in the stroller) or using the little monkey backpack leash to keep her from running in front of semis count? Those things are fabulous.

I don't want to harp on your parenting philosophy but there's always room for interpretation in the application, and in my experience, the best way to stop them from climbing the walls is to send them to climb a tree. Yes, at three. The need for speed will never go away so I'd rather they get well acquainted with gravity while still close to the ground. They climbed trees at my kids' pre-schools and were fine.

I get that you might not buy the half-pipe. :)

But when will he be allowed to go up the stairs? Most three-year-olds do go up and down the stairs themselves. Even those that tend to jump off the top of the bannister.

I guess I don't fully understand the situation here, or maybe my range of normal is so outside your range of normal that from the outside we'd appear to be insane. From my perspective, three and stairs are okay together, late speech and early flying go together, especially in my family, and riding a bike or jumping four feet is just not that out of the ordinary, and when done outside, can really save you on repair costs inside.

Of course I wish my daughter hadn't fallen, but the alternative to keep my kids from falling would probably be a straight-jacket. I'm serious. I used to have to put her in a five-point harness when I went poop, until she was about 3. I am not exaggerating. At some point don't you just have to say, "Have at it, kid, gravity's a cruel master.*" Not because you want to teach them or let them hurt, but because if they don't learn, they will occupy 100% of your energy just containing them for the next 18 years, and then what?

When will he be allowed to ride a bike? If it's arbitrary, really consider whether it might help now. Using finger strength I am convinced is why my lefty has the best handwriting in her class. Everyone marvels at my kids' motor skills. I am sure it was a combination of music (recorder) and their insane, repetitive tree climbing and bike riding. I feel it was the only thing that went right in that area, lol!

Now if only they could sit still. 

*I may have been known to use a different expression ;)

• Like 1

I don't want to harp on your parenting philosophy but there's always room for interpretation in the application, and in my experience, the best way to stop them from climbing the walls is to send them to climb a tree. Yes, at three. The need for speed will never go away so I'd rather they get well acquainted with gravity while still close to the ground. They climbed trees at my kids' pre-schools and were fine.

But when will he be allowed to go up the stairs? Most three-year-olds do go up and down the stairs themselves. Even those that tend to jump off the top of the bannister.

I guess I don't fully understand the situation here, or maybe my range of normal is so outside your range of normal that from the outside we'd appear to be insane. From my perspective, three and stairs are okay together, late speech and early flying go together, especially in my family, and riding a bike or jumping four feet is just not that out of the ordinary, and when done outside, can really save you on repair costs inside.

Of course I wish my daughter hadn't fallen, but the alternative to keep my kids from falling would probably be a straight-jacket. I'm serious. I used to have to put her in a five-point harness when I went poop, until she was about 3. I am not exaggerating. At some point don't you just have to say, "Have at it, kid, gravity's a cruel master.*" Not because you want to teach them or let them hurt, but because if they don't learn, they will occupy 100% of your energy just containing them for the next 18 years, and then what?

When will he be allowed to ride a bike? If it's arbitrary, really consider whether it might help now. Using finger strength I am convinced is why my lefty has the best handwriting in her class. Everyone marvels at my kids' motor skills. I am sure it was a combination of music (recorder) and their insane, repetitive tree climbing and bike riding. I feel it was the only thing that went right in that area, lol!

I agree.  And, I say this gently, if you allowed him to take some more "risks", it might help calm him down.  Some kids are born risk takers.  They are going to get hurt beyond a scrape on the knee.  Personally, I'd be more worried about my kid climbing over the gate and falling down the stairs than going up and down the stairs.

I've got a couple of high energy risk takers, and not allowing them to take "risks" would suck the joy out of them, and would have even when they were Marco's age. 

• Like 3

eh.... I've followed the Marco stories the last three years.  Aimee has good instincts.

As far as baby gates for stairs, we just never found anything that was better than a permanent installation.  Basically a half-door with hinges at the top of the stairs to keep our fearless one from diving head first.  Anything less solid than a permanent half door just got knocked over or pulled down.  Then they use it to slide down the stairs on the baby gate  :crying:

As far as the video monitor..... they sell cages for lights that also work great to protect wall mounted cameras.

Like this: http://www.amazon.com/Designers-Edge-Weatherproof-Industrial-Protector/dp/B000A79I10/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1443565486&sr=8-2&keywords=wall+light+cage

Sorry - no ideas on the door knob covers.  I'm in agreement that you may need to go to locks of some kind eventually.

• Like 3

We generally refer to his therapists regarding his sensory activities. 

He is allowed to ride a bike. Him and his brother received new shiny red ones for their birthdays. We do not live in an area conducive to him riding without direct supervision (city/downtown subdivision - busy and with student drivers). 

Again, my comfort zone is simply not to allow him to take risks that could land him in the hospital (again). And if his therapists, and caseworker, were to catch wind that I was allowing him to climb up a tree? Even if that WAS in my comfort-zone (definitely is NOT), they would not be happy. Marco has, as someone pointed out in another thread of mine, no sense of self preservation. He does not learn from his mistakes, or injuries, and has no sense of his surroundings. 

I agree.  And, I say this gently, if you allowed him to take some more "risks", it might help calm him down.  Some kids are born risk takers.  They are going to get hurt beyond a scrape on the knee.  Personally, I'd be more worried about my kid climbing over the gate and falling down the stairs than going up and down the stairs.

I've got a couple of high energy risk takers, and not allowing them to take "risks" would suck the joy out of them, and would have even when they were Marco's age. 

Guys, respectfully, I asked for safety-product suggestions, not parenting advice/criticism. I realize this is the an internet forum and all-goes, but he has plenty of people who ARE privy to his... oddities... and are able to advise on them. 

• Like 1

eh.... I've followed the Marco stories the last three years.  Aimee has good instincts.

As far as baby gates for stairs, we just never found anything that was better than a permanent installation.  Basically a half-door with hinges at the top of the stairs to keep our fearless one from diving head first.  Anything less solid than a permanent half door just got knocked over or pulled down.  Then they use it to slide down the stairs on the baby gate  :crying:

As far as the video monitor..... they sell cages for lights that also work great to protect wall mounted cameras.

Like this: http://www.amazon.com/Designers-Edge-Weatherproof-Industrial-Protector/dp/B000A79I10/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1443565486&sr=8-2&keywords=wall+light+cage

Sorry - no ideas on the door knob covers.  I'm in agreement that you may need to go to locks of some kind eventually.

I didn't consider a permanent installation. Thanks! 

I couldn't find a door knob cover that would work, so instead I put wireless door alarms on the doors leading to the outside.

They also have them for windows & sliding patio doors.

I also liked the magnetic cabinet locks.

I've been looking at the wireless door alarms. The ones that have the best reviews appear to be the pool-guard alarms (for inside and outside). 

I haven't found a child gate that my kid can't make more dangerous than the stairs themselves.  Aimee, what's your concerns with the stairs?  I'm guessing it's not the stairs themselves, but keeping him on the same level as the rest of the family so you can keep an eye on him?

Bingo. Well, kind of.

Immediately the gates will serve to keep him off the stairs until he "proper stair behaviour" has been ingrained and he can't consider another way but appropriately to use them, lol. Long-term, the gates will serve to keep him on the same floor as the rest of us. 

Currently we live in a cottage style home - one level; no stairs in the house.

A straight jacket??? Just joking though I did find with dd1 that if there was any way she could stick her foot in (baby gate) that she would be up and over so I would go with something like a half door that's solid with no gaps of any kind. Those door knob things were a joke too, we ended up using the hook and eye latches on the doors we didn't want her opening.

Squeaky shoes so that you can hear where ever he goes (Wee Squeak is the brand of shoes that we have used before, in fact we are going to order dd2 a pair that has owls in them).

• Like 1

A straight jacket??? Just joking though I did find with dd1 that if there was any way she could stick her foot in (baby gate) that she would be up and over so I would go with something like a half door that's solid with no gaps of any kind. Those door knob things were a joke too, we ended up using the hook and eye latches on the doors we didn't want her opening.

Squeaky shoes so that you can hear where ever he goes (Wee Squeak is the brand of shoes that we have used before, in fact we are going to order dd2 a pair that has owls in them).

You're the second (I think) to mention a permanent half-door instead of a gate. That's definitely top of my list.

You aren't the first to mention a strait jacket either (kidding!). Seriously, though, I did joke with one of his therapists the other day about padding his bedroom walls or the walls to the sensory room we're creating for him as we finish the basement. Initially I was joking, but she thought I was serious - and that it was a great idea :P

• Like 1

Mine would not be stopped by a half door at the bottom of the stairs. We have a full door. And it had a fussy knob that we didn't fix because she couldn't open it (unlike the others with child safety doodads on them) until she could safely navigate stairs solo. Similar to Arctic Mama, we have fewer child safety gadgets for our wild child. It's eyes on all the time. We taught her to bump down the stairs on her bottom before she could walk down them, but she complied with that rule. There's a permanently attached latching gate at the top of the stairs that she can't undo, and she won't climb over it. She would if it were at the bottom of the stairs. And she might have tried if she couldn't see through it to see that nothing interesting is happening down there. If she did, we would have to add a full door there. She's no Marco, but she wears me out! ;)

Wish we could put full doors on the staircase! One side of it is a wall, though, and the other side is railing. 

Mine would not be stopped by a half door at the bottom of the stairs. We have a full door. And it had a fussy knob that we didn't fix because she couldn't open it (unlike the others with child safety doodads on them) until she could safely navigate stairs solo. Similar to Arctic Mama, we have fewer child safety gadgets for our wild child. It's eyes on all the time. We taught her to bump down the stairs on her bottom before she could walk down them, but she complied with that rule. There's a permanently attached latching gate at the top of the stairs that she can't undo, and she won't climb over it. She would if it were at the bottom of the stairs. And she might have tried if she couldn't see through it to see that nothing interesting is happening down there. If she did, we would have to add a full door there. She's no Marco, but she wears me out! ;)

We generally refer to his therapists regarding his sensory activities.

He is allowed to ride a bike. Him and his brother received new shiny red ones for their birthdays. We do not live in an area conducive to him riding without direct supervision (city/downtown subdivision - busy and with student drivers).

Again, my comfort zone is simply not to allow him to take risks that could land him in the hospital (again). And if his therapists, and caseworker, were to catch wind that I was allowing him to climb up a tree? Even if that WAS in my comfort-zone (definitely is NOT), they would not be happy. Marco has, as someone pointed out in another thread of mine, no sense of self preservation. He does not learn from his mistakes, or injuries, and has no sense of his surroundings.

I see. When I mentioned disability, I did not specifically mention executive functioning but if he does have a disability in that area, it makes sense that you need more control. It also sounds like he is fostered, is that right? He has a caseworker? I'm familiar with risk-taking, high activity antics (to the point of kids <5 climbing on to the roof) but yes, these were typical kids in that they would drag a mattress underneath next time. It sounds like you are saying your Marco would not because he lacks even three-year old executive functioning skills and lack of instinct. Like he's not seeing how far he can jump, but rather oblivious to the cliff? I wish you would have qualified that as it's a different safety issue than the child who uses cardboard from Amazon packages to sled down the stairs... And then tears the covers off couches to pAd the bottom after hitting their head a few times (that's more my experience).

I still think real locks and a real door at the stairs are in order. Unless he's a terrible planner as well, he should be able to defeat products designed to hold children under two. You need to go right to adult level blocks at this point. He'll be five in no time. Have you seen that disclaimer for a warranty?

http://www.shitmykidsruined.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/LABEL.jpg

A baby gate did not work for my younger child from five months on. I have a picture of myself at seven months on top of a bookcase, head touching the ceiling (that's right, mom, take a picture, don't like get your kid down).

I put bells on my kids. Tied them tight with dental floss. They took them off. Try ripping dental floss with your own hands. Try it. My kids are insane.

This is why on some of my posts you will see that i say things like, "I have done everything legal I could do, everything not abusive."

Nothing works.

I do hope you find something for Marco.

Maybe you will need to wall the stairs of if it's a supervision issue, install a bell that rings at the top or bottom of the stairs.

He will probably climb over the side though.

We had these installed on our upper windows when our, ahem, challenging kid was little:

http://www.guardianangelwindowguards.com/#guardian-angel-window-guards

I mentioned them on the other thread, but didn't include the link. They are great, well made, and easily removed by an adult or big kid in case of fire. Or firefighters. :)

We had people stop and knock on our door to ask where we got them, once in a while. They were a great relief. One level of our house was three stories, and that included the kids' rooms, so these gave me lots of peace, and one less worry.

For the baby gates and stairs - I'd hire a carpenter and have something custom built.

Executive function, motor planning, sensory-seeking, speech delayed, brilliant kiddo :)

He is not fostered, no - he just happens to be such a risk-taker that he qualified for extended early intervention, lol. His caseworker is his EI (Early Interventionist). She works with him weekly to back up his other therapies, and she is the one who handles his case when another referral (to another therapist or specialist) needs to be made, or if we want to seek other services (like when we looked into a SN preschool).

I didn't qualify it because I really wasn't looking for parenting advice - I just wanted suggestions for safety products, lol. I *have* asked advise in other threads, but in this thread I sincerely just wanted help Marco proofing. We're moving into new territory having stairs in the house. We currently live in a cottage style home with no stairs indoors. 

You are very correct in that Marco is relatively oblivious to his surroundings - at least when he's in a really good, or a really terrible, mood. Which is most of the time. When he's in a great mood, he is spinning 'round and 'round playing with the numbers in his head, in the air, eyes closed, not caring where he lands; jumping from sofa to sofa without taking the distance between into account, no matter how many times he's fallen from them before. When he's in a terrible mood, he is sobbing and throwing himself in any, and every, direction, not remembering the door that has always been there, or the entertainment center that hasn't moved since his birth. He doesn't self-harm intentionally, but it's an obvious byproduct when a child enjoys running through the house, backwards, with his hands over his eyes, lol. 

In fact, his last several in-home therapies have been essentially pointless because he has been so inattentive, and in such a terrible mood (possibly because of the move), that he spends his time with the therapists doing nothing but throwing violent tantrums.

In short, he is a kid who doesn't learn from falling once. He's already been in the ER twice - one fractured skull and one displaced elbow (which was an injury given by a beloved adult, to save him from worse injury, and which saved him from flying, from a significant height, face-first into a glass table at a relative's home).

We don't want any more ER trips ;)

I see. When I mentioned disability, I did not specifically mention executive functioning but if he does have a disability in that area, it makes sense that you need more control. It also sounds like he is fostered, is that right? He has a caseworker? I'm familiar with risk-taking, high activity antics (to the point of kids <5 climbing on to the roof) but yes, these were typical kids in that they would drag a mattress underneath next time. It sounds like you are saying your Marco would not because he lacks even three-year old executive functioning skills and lack of instinct. Like he's not seeing how far he can jump, but rather oblivious to the cliff? I wish you would have qualified that as it's a different safety issue than the child who uses cardboard from Amazon packages to sled down the stairs... And then tears the covers off couches to pAd the bottom after hitting their head a few times (that's more my experience).

I still think real locks and a real door at the stairs are in order. Unless he's a terrible planner as well, he should be able to defeat products designed to hold children under two. You need to go right to adult level blocks at this point. He'll be five in no time. Have you seen that disclaimer for a warranty?

http://www.shitmykidsruined.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/LABEL.jpg

I've moved away from specific toddler products and into more serious locks/gates with DS2. He can break anything, and baby locks don't slow him down. We do chain locks at the top of doors, though a bar lock is better if you think he will smash his hand. DH made a custom window brace so it's impossible for the window to open in DS2's room. 

Stairs are our biggest problem. We currently secure only the bottom with a baby gate (which is working okay, but won't last long) and otherwise relying on the door locks to keep DS2 off the stairs. When we had a baby gate at the top of the stairs (it was extra tall) he climbed it and fell at 18 months. Luckily, our stairs have a turn so the fall was short, but it could of been much worse. I would suggest really strong door locks to his room and a gate at the bottom of the stairs so he can't roam the whole house if he gets out of his room. Though, that probably wouldn't work if you used the upstairs for something other than sleeping. We only use it for sleeping for DS2, so the door locks are sufficient.

Half doors are not fool-proof. Both DS1 and DS2 can climb them easily. They get their toes in the little groves of the paneling and climb up. We've had the best luck with an extra tall cloth gate. It's like the side of a pack and play, but built as a gate, and is much harder to climb than any other baby gate we have found.

For a baby monitor, we use an old iphone attached to the ceiling. There is an app to convert the camera to a monitor, and it was free since we had the old phone.

I've moved away from specific toddler products and into more serious locks/gates with DS2. He can break anything, and baby locks don't slow him down. We do chain locks at the top of doors, though a bar lock is better if you think he will smash his hand. DH made a custom window brace so it's impossible for the window to open in DS2's room.

Stairs are our biggest problem. We currently secure only the bottom with a baby gate (which is working okay, but won't last long) and otherwise relying on the door locks to keep DS2 off the stairs. When we had a baby gate at the top of the stairs (it was extra tall) he climbed it and fell at 18 months. Luckily, our stairs have a turn so the fall was short, but it could of been much worse. I would suggest really strong door locks to his room and a gate at the bottom of the stairs so he can't roam the whole house if he gets out of his room. Though, that probably wouldn't work if you used the upstairs for something other than sleeping. We only use it for sleeping for DS2, so the door locks are sufficient.

Half doors are not fool-proof. Both DS1 and DS2 can climb them easily. They get their toes in the little groves of the paneling and climb up. We've had the best luck with an extra tall cloth gate. It's like the side of a pack and play, but built as a gate, and is much harder to climb than any other baby gate we have found.

For a baby monitor, we use an old iphone attached to the ceiling. There is an app to convert the camera to a monitor, and it was free since we had the old phone.

We use an iPod touch specifically for this purpose. The stairs we just taught everyone to negotiate. There are no hand rails and they're the steepest allowable by the building code, and wood. We have had two kids fall down once when they were beginning to walk, usually only slipping a few steps. But our stairs are so obviously dangerous that even the crazy kid takes them on her butt and there have been no accidents. A baby gate or half door would have had her climbing and probably falling off.

My nephew had a big problem with stairs. We got lots of advise telling us to teach him to use them properly and avoid gates. I totally agree with the proper usage ideas...but people didn't seem to understand that he had no problem during the intentional use of stairs. It was the other 95% of the time that was the problem. Throwing a fit and seeming to not even realize they were there. Driving his car and getting so wrapped up he didn't notice. Being a 'superhero.' And yes, running around with eyes closed:)

We ended up fortifying with sheets of plexiglass. He couldn't get a toe-hold. At the top and bottom of the stairs we used small L-brackets to attach pieces of plexiglass at floor level. Theses were about 18 inches tall. Short enough that adults could step over them. You could also put them on hinges I guess. Then, we used sturdy wooden baby gates that had permanent installation, but installed them above the plexiglass riser. The His made the gate much taller but also provided no purchase for climbing. They had vertical bars, which would have not worked, but we had another sheet of plexiglass cut to fit the gates, then screwed them onto the gates (facing outward),

Our doors and windows have alarms that are part of our ADT system. They have a mode that just beeps anytime a door or window is opened. I love them, and the installation tech told me they can put them just about anywhere you like. It might be worth having it done that way. They also do cameras and have an app where you can use your phone. For example, the system has a camera in the entryway. The application is You could be on vacation in Bermuda and get a text that your alarm was triggered, and use the app to remotely view your entryway. But you can also use it for the purposes you would need to keep little boys safe until (hopefully) their sense of self-preservation kicks in a bit more.

Doors: we didn't use the eye-latch thing with him because they were silent, lol. He would have quickly figured that out. We went to the heavy duty chain/metal slider safety things that allow you to open the door just a bit. They are noisy-especially because we could hear the door being jerked until it caught if he managed the safety knob on the door:)

• Like 1

Is he pulling the doorknob covers apart, or has he figured out how to work them? We duct-taped our covers closed, which worked for quite a while.

I don't use gates on the stairs for this exact reason. My middle would absolutely climb over it, no matter the height. My stairs are carpeted, which helps me contain my worry a bit.

We have video monitors attached to the ceiling that are leftover from the security system the previous owners had. I can't advise on a particular brand of anything, but definitely buy something that is either wireless, or drill the hole and thread the wires through the ceiling and mount the camera to the ceiling.

• Like 1

He pulls them apart (the knob covers). Tape is a great idea.

Today we went to see the house (they just completed construction). 

The first thing he does is take off towards the stairs.

Every five seconds I turn around to find Marco and he's up the stairs. I'll note that he is definitely NOT climbing them appropriately. 

Off topic, but what the heck kind of builder puts a flip switch to activate a fireplace only 2 feet from the ground? Our builder. *sigh* 

It only took Marco about 10 minutes to find that and discover what it does.

We have an escapee.  He can figure out all locks at age 2.  We installed flip locks on all doors we did not want him accessing.  It changed our lives.  We installed them(very minimal damage to door frame) low enough for our 8 year old to reach on tippy toes..  Favorite baby proofing item ever.

We are moving to a house where his room will be upstairs.  I was just on Amazon buying stair gates.  We will only gate the top for now and see how it goes.  Hope all goes well for you. :)

• Like 1