Menu

trying not to be frustrated...doggy adoptions - a long vent.

PrincessMommy

Deb,

There is a puppy boutique near me that sells little dogs. Many people around here buy from there. If you are interested in a little dogs (like Bichon, Shitzu, etc), I can send you the link.

Please think very long and very hard before supporting such a business.  It is a front for puppy mills.  No reputable breeder sends their puppies to a pet store or a "puppy boutique."  Supporting such a business helps keep untold numbers of dogs living in absolute misery.

• Like 7

Please think very long and very hard before supporting such a business.  It is a front for puppy mills.  No reputable breeder sends their puppies to a pet store or a "puppy boutique."  Supporting such a business helps keep untold numbers of dogs living in absolute misery.

Thank you for speaking up. I was trying to figure out what to say, and you covered the issue beautifully.

• Like 2

I thought I should update. We didn't get a dog. In fact the experience was a bust. It was hosted by the Balti. animal shelter and they had a nice facility there. They had about 10-15dogs. 1 was a Chihuahua and the rest were Pits.

So we forged forth to all the other rescue/shelter booths. Less than 5 shelter/rescues actually had a handful of adoptable dogs. Most of those were too young or just not the right dog. I think we only actually looked at 4 dogs. Most of the rescues/shelters supplied photos of doggies you could look through. I can do that at home. They were all selling merchandise. It was really just a waste of our time and my son and I were pretty discouraged. There was a pet adoption event close to our home that I suggested we visit on the way home, but son said no, he doesn't like dog rescues anymore.

I'm so sorry. :grouphug:

I was hoping for a happy update. :(

They breed their own dogs.  It is a small town and they a good reputation here.  They are not part of a puppy mill.  I would not have recommended a front for a puppy mill.

Happy news!  Thanks to Pink and Green Mom we found a really nice rescue in No.VA.  While they "reserve the right to do a home visit" it doesn't seem like it was the norm.  You can find a dog you like and pick it up at an adoption event that day.   They had 3 simultaneous events at 3 PetSmarts.  The long and short of it is, we went from one to another  and then back to the first... with 20 mins left we adopted a beautiful 6yr old hound mix.  Duke the Hound dog is a sweetie. 

When we raced back to get him, not knowing if he was already adopted (there was another couple with him when we left who looked very interested), and we saw him being walked by the handler he just jumped up into my son's arms.  It was so sweet.  It's that moment we all look for. 

The only known issue is that he was not spayed when they got him so he has issues with marking inside the house.  He hasn't done it here yet, but I'll take any advice on best dealing with this in an older dog.  Really it will probably be a pain but compared to our form dog that attacked doggies, this is a piece of cake. 

let's see if I can get a photo:

21582497128_2ed443d7a6.jpg2015-09-27_08-27-49 by PrincessMommy, on Flickr

• Like 20

Deb,

There is a puppy boutique near me that sells little dogs. Many people around here buy from there. If you are interested in a little dogs (like Bichon, Shitzu, etc), I can send you the link.

Thank you Carolyn for thinking of me!  We really didn't want a little dog though... and as you see we were finally able to get one!

• Like 1

They breed their own dogs. It is a small town and they a good reputation here. They are not part of a puppy mill. I would not have recommended a front for a puppy mill.

Caring, reputable breeders do not sell their puppies like apples or loaves of bread in a grocery store. Reputable breeders rarely breed more than one breed (for many reasons, but mainly because breeding just one breed well involves so much time, effort and money). I could go on and on about the red flags here but I really don't want to offend.

I have nothing against good breeders. My own dog came from one. For anyone interested in finding a good breeder I recommend looking at the website of the local or national breed club. Almost all have a breeder referral contact. Be prepared to wait awhile, though. Most reputable breeders have waiting lists for puppies. They don't churn them out to keep a store stocked with inventory.

• Like 3

Happy news! Thanks to Pink and Green Mom we found a really nice rescue in No.VA. While they "reserve the right to do a home visit" it doesn't seem like it was the norm. You can find a dog you like and pick it up at an adoption event that day. They had 3 simultaneous events at 3 PetSmarts. The long and short of it is, we went from one to another and then back to the first... with 20 mins left we adopted a beautiful 6yr old hound mix. Duke the Hound dog is a sweetie.

When we raced back to get him, not knowing if he was already adopted (there was another couple with him when we left who looked very interested), and we saw him being walked by the handler he just jumped up into my son's arms. It was so sweet. It's that moment we all look for.

The only known issue is that he was not spayed when they got him so he has issues with marking inside the house. He hasn't done it here yet, but I'll take any advice on best dealing with this in an older dog. Really it will probably be a pain but compared to our form dog that attacked doggies, this is a piece of cake.

let's see if I can get a photo:

21582497128_2ed443d7a6.jpg2015-09-27_08-27-49 by PrincessMommy, on Flickr

LOVE!!!! He looks snuggable!

• Like 1

The picture of Duke cracks me up; it's been what, six hours?  And he's already found the sofa.  Gee, hope he'll be at ease in your home. . ..

I chuckled out loud when I saw the photo. I'm glad to see he is settling in so well! 

He is adorable. :001_wub:

OP, congrats on your new family member!! 

• Like 2

He is adorable!  Congratulations!

You can get belly bands at Petsmart, Petco, places like that.  They are a belly wrap that functions like a diaper for male dogs who mark in the house.  I have never needed one for our dogs, so I just want you to be aware that the product exists.

If you Google dog belly bands you will get lots of info and pictures.

• Like 3