Menu

The end of an era. DD eats meat again.

Anne in CA

Three years ago dd, then 12, became a vegetarian. I was worried about how to get her enough protein since she doesn't really like a lot of veggies, but we worked it out, even though it caused me stress. I grew up on a working cattle ranch, all the men I knew hunted and I have no moral problem with killing animals for food, I worry a lot more about people being exploited to grow my veggies, lol. Now, dd has joined FFA and is going to raise a pig next year. She has a way with her friend's pigs evidently, and is very excited to raise a pig! Change has happened.

• Like 8

DS13 recently ate chicken for the first time. He'd been a vegetarian (who refuses to eat beans) since birth.

I'll never forget the year my mother slipped a cog and served rabbit for Easter dinner. Being the precocious youngster I was, I quickly figured out that we were eating rabbit and ran from the table in tears, shouting 'You killed the Easter Bunny!" And my mother wondered why, later in life, I became a vegetarian. 

DS13 recently ate chicken for the first time. He'd been a vegetarian (who refuses to eat beans) since birth.

I'll never forget the year my mother slipped a cog and served rabbit for Easter dinner. Being the precocious youngster I was, I quickly figured out that we were eating rabbit and ran from the table in tears, shouting 'You killed the Easter Bunny!" And my mother wondered why, later in life, I became a vegetarian.

This just made my day! I laughed so hard I cried. You poor thing, scarred for life. It's so sad but so funny at the same time.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Lol!!!! :)
  • Like 1

I secretly celebrated when my dd started eating meat again.  It was three stressful, difficult years accommodating her.  Now one of my younger ones is talking about being a vegetarian.  No, just can't do it.  I'm a mean mom or whatever.  It's too hard when it's one person.  And it's not like we're big meat eaters anyway.

• Like 1

FWIW--Restaurant convo--

Me, looking at the "fancy" menu: Hmmm, Thumper or Bambi?

DD: No, Bambi's mother...

Creepy, that one.

• Like 3

That's awful. :(

When I was 3 or 4, my father killed our only chicken that I wasn't afraid of for Thanksgiving dinner. It shouldn't have surprised them that I went vegetarian as soon as I left home.

I still think of poor Big Red headless on a table in the garden. And all those other mean scary chickens trying to peck my toes. :(

• Like 1

My children are far, far, from being vegetarians. However, Navy girl never ate lamb (she raised 75+ lambs a year). She was at her sponsors one night, and lamb was served, so she ate it. And found she liked it! My children have a disconcerting habit of asking, "Who was this?" at the dinner table. 

We always named ours names such as Ribeye, Tbone, etc.

• Like 3

Three years ago dd, then 12, became a vegetarian. I was worried about how to get her enough protein since she doesn't really like a lot of veggies, but we worked it out, even though it caused me stress. I grew up on a working cattle ranch, all the men I knew hunted and I have no moral problem with killing animals for food, I worry a lot more about people being exploited to grow my veggies, lol. Now, dd has joined FFA and is going to raise a pig next year. She has a way with her friend's pigs evidently, and is very excited to raise a pig! Change has happened.

Could you please explain for dense old me how this means that she is no longer vegetarian?  Has she started to eat meat products now in anticipation of raising a pig?  Does raising a pig mean that it is necessarily raised for consumption?  Does she eat all meat products or just pork?  None of this is really important - it just made me curious.  

• Like 3

Awesome :)

I was a vegetarian. I kept it up very well, but then joined the Marines. Two weeks in, I was way too hungry to abstain from *anything* :)

When I joined the Army I had a really, really hard time as a vegetarian (primarily vegan) in basic training. After almost 2 weeks I ended up passing out in training. When the drill sergeant discovered why he made me eat an entire bowl of the most horrible Lima beans EVERY single dinner time. From frozen or a can, no seasoning, overcooked...That and jarred Apple sauce with mixed nuts. To this day I physically shudder at the mere thought of Lima beans.😩
  • Like 1

Awesome :)

I was a vegetarian. I kept it up very well, but then joined the Marines. Two weeks in, I was way too hungry to abstain from *anything* :)

I was vegetarian for almost 3 years.  Then I hiked the Grand Canyon (5 miles down, 5 miles across the Tonto, and 5 miles back up) one day.

By the time we got to the top, all I could think about was BEEF!  I want ribs!  Really big ribs!  I want them now!  

(I would never make it even a week in the Marines.)  :)

• Like 1

Could you please explain for dense old me how this means that she is no longer vegetarian?  Has she started to eat meat products now in anticipation of raising a pig?  Does raising a pig mean that it is necessarily raised for consumption?  Does she eat all meat products or just pork?  None of this is really important - it just made me curious.  

She began eating all meat at the fair last week when she realized that all the animals were about to be consumed, and it turned out she was fine with it, lol. She works in our restaurant selling meat anyway, she sells more pastrami burgers than any other waitress, but she only recently had one herself. I am amazed at the fast turn around from when she started school last fall and the principal asked if she would like to join FFA and she said, "no, I don't agree with killing animals for meat," to a year later being excited to raise an animal for meat. Living in an agricultural environment changed her a lot, lol.

• Like 1

She began eating all meat at the fair last week when she realized that all the animals were about to be consumed, and it turned out she was fine with it, lol. She works in our restaurant selling meat anyway, she sells more pastrami burgers than any other waitress, but she only recently had one herself. I am amazed at the fast turn around from when she started school last fall and the principal asked if she would like to join FFA and she said, "no, I don't agree with killing animals for meat," to a year later being excited to raise an animal for meat. Living in an agricultural environment changed her a lot, lol.

I also think it changes things when you raise your own animals in an ethical way. you give them a good life and really their only bad day is the very last one. You know they were treated humanely and they eat good, healthy food. Makes it a ton easier to eat the meat.

• Like 4