Menu

Book a Week 2015 - BW37: Waiting Afield at Dusk

Robin M

These are great, Thanks.  "Books can seriously damage your ignorance."  I need to get that made into a bumper sticker.

A neat post I came across this morning ~

From the Open Culture site Illustrations for a Chinese Lord of the Rings in a Stunning “Glass Painting Styleâ€

Regards,

Kareni

Beautiful!!!  Thanks! 

• Like 8

Since we pre-ordered Library of Souls (third Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children book), we were able to get a sneak peak at the first 100 pages.  My daughter and I devoured it.  That book is going to be SO good!  The problem?  It's still another 8 days before the book is released and I really, really want to know what happens next!

Also, yesterday I discovered it is absolutely impossible to explain what Miss Peregrine is about.  It makes no sense, but the books are so very good!

I'm about halfway through The Picture of Dorian Gray.  It was slow to get started, but is quite interesting now.

Do you know if Library of Souls is the third of three, or third of some unknown number? I liked the first book a lot but didn't enjoy the second one so much--the formula was getting old for me. If LoS is the last, maybe I'll read it to finish up, but if it's just the next step, maybe not. I do remember telling myself during book 2 to not bother with the next.

• Like 8

I finished To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee today.  What an amazing book!  I remember liking it in 8th grade Honor’s English, but there is no way I could have truly understood the depths and intricacies of this book at that age!  I had not reread the book since, nor had I seen the movie, so I vaguely knew parts of the story while other parts were totally new or refreshed.  At the beginning I was wondering why I was so engaged in a story about small town Alabama in the 1930’s.  Towards the middle I was feeling the tension and the anxiety of the case.  And at the end, it was endearing.  I started this as my Banned Books read but I may decide to put it in my Pulitzer Prize winning category if I can get another banned book in this week.  I wonder if the people who have tried to ban this book have actually read it, because to me the underlying theme is clear.  And though I read it in 8th grade, I do feel it is a high school book, however, even in a later high school grade I do not think I would have “understood†the book as I do today.  On a side note, the parts about the schools in the midst of changing their system of education gave me a wry chuckle as it was bad enough the first time around and we are going through it again now.  Quote:  â€œNow you tell your father not to teach you any more.  It’s best to begin reading with a fresh mind.  You tell him I’ll take over from here and try to undo the damage—“  “Your father does not know how to teach.† I won’t get on my soapbox about that!  ONE OF MY FAVORITE BOOKS OF THE YEAR!  So glad I read it again! 

• Like 16

I ought to be reading my book group book for the meeting this Thursday.  So naturally after recommending Julie James'  About That Night (Berkley Sensation) to Stacia yesterday, I was lured into picking it up.  I finished re-reading it a few minutes ago.  Once again, it was an entertaining read.

"HE’S PLAYING GAMES

Though Rylann Pierce tried to fight the sparks she felt for billionaire heir Kyle Rhodes the night they met, their sizzling chemistry was undeniable. But after being stood up on their first date, Rylann never expected to see him again. So when she finds herself face to face with Kyle in a courthouse nine years later, she’s stunned. More troubling to the beautiful Assistant U.S. Attorney is that she’s still wildly attracted to him.

BUT SHE’S MAKING THE RULES

Just released from prison, Kyle Rhodes isn’t thrilled to be the star witness in a high-profile criminal case—but when Rylann comes knocking at his door, he finds she may be the one lawyer he can’t say no to. Still as gorgeous and sharp-tongued as ever, she lays down the law: she doesn’t mix business with pleasure. But Kyle won’t give up on something he wants—and what he wants is the one woman he’s never forgotten. . ."

I WILL read the book group book next.  I think.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

Fans of the regency era might enjoy this blog post with lots of photos ~

How Much Jane Austen Is Too Much Jane Austen?  by Kelly Faircloth

"Greetings from Bath, England, where I’m currently attending the fifteenth annual Jane Austen Festival, on the two-hundredth-year anniversary of both the publication of Emma and the Battle of Waterloo, in an attempt to probe the outer limits of my own deep fondness for Austen’s oeuvre. Yes, I am dressing up. ..."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 10

Another contemporary romance author you might care to read, Stacia, is Laura Florand.  Here's a link to one of her books that is currently free on Kindle.  I've posted this link before.

The Chocolate Rose by Laura Florand

And here's a free book by Sarina Bowen (it's not my favorite of hers, but the price is right).  I've posted this link before, too.

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 7

I finished To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee today.  What an amazing book!  I remember liking it in 8th grade Honor’s English, but there is no way I could have truly understood the depths and intricacies of this book at that age!  I had not reread the book since, nor had I seen the movie, so I vaguely knew parts of the story while other parts were totally new or refreshed.  

This was exactly my position when I re-read it a couple of years ago and I'm so glad I did.

• Like 11

Fans of the regency era might enjoy this blog post with lots of photos ~

How Much Jane Austen Is Too Much Jane Austen?  by Kelly Faircloth

"Greetings from Bath, England, where I’m currently attending the fifteenth annual Jane Austen Festival, on the two-hundredth-year anniversary of both the publication of Emma and the Battle of Waterloo, in an attempt to probe the outer limits of my own deep fondness for Austen’s oeuvre. Yes, I am dressing up. ..."

Regards,

Kareni

Thanks for sharing this!  As someone who took eight young girls and two young gentlemen to a Regency Ball and had an amazing time, I'm jealous!  Skye just said "why are we not there?"   :laugh:

• Like 9

Do you know if Library of Souls is the third of three, or third of some unknown number? I liked the first book a lot but didn't enjoy the second one so much--the formula was getting old for me. If LoS is the last, maybe I'll read it to finish up, but if it's just the next step, maybe not. I do remember telling myself during book 2 to not bother with the next.

It is the third of three, but maybe not the third of three.  The author intended it to be a trilogy.  He has said IF he ever writes another Miss Peregrine book it will not be for quite a while.  He may choose to never write one again and it would be fine because the third book ends with adequate closure.

• Like 10

I did end up finishing The Sparrow so I could get it back to the library before I ended up with $500 in fines. I was super sad to send back a few unread books too but I know at this point in life, it's smarter to grab from the stacks at home and on the Kindle. My mom sent 10 books or so home with me last time I was at her house, including Nora Roberts' Whiskey Beach so I started that one. Nora is kind of like comfort food in book form.

I somehow went from taking one American Sign Language class at the local community college to being a full-time student. Oops. We'll see how that works out on top of attempting to homeschool and do a few outside classes with 4 little ones, getting 0 sleep with the baby, and dealing with all of the appointments that go along with a foster lovey. I'm fairly sure I've lost my mind. ;) 

• Like 14

It's just crazy and terrible.

It is.  The good news is that it has been cool, drizzly and overcast - and no wind- all day.  I just heard a bunch of air tankers go over, which is a huge relief. The planes were all grounded yesterday because of the smoke and wind and that not only made the fire harder to fight, but it made it really hard to see where it was going.  It has apparently been spluttering and jumping around in the hilly ridge country just east of us all day today, but it has slowed down enough that the firefighters have been able to create firebreaks and set backfires, so they are feeling increasingly confident that it won't do a repeat of Saturday night.  Best case, they can kind of corral it to the east where it will meet up with the already burned-over area from the Rocky fire, and die out.  I'm so thankful it didn't head north toward Clearlake.  Or west toward us.

Sorry, no book talk to share, I've been pretty mesmerized by this fire thing the last few days. Thanks for letting me offload about it.

ETA:  Yes, Harbin is apparently gone:

http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/Harbin-Hot-Springs-ravaged-by-Valley-Fire-6503417.php#photo-8624173

• Like 11

I did end up finishing The Sparrow so I could get it back to the library before I ended up with $500 in fines. I was super sad to send back a few unread books too but I know at this point in life, it's smarter to grab from the stacks at home and on the Kindle. My mom sent 10 books or so home with me last time I was at her house, including Nora Roberts' Whiskey Beach so I started that one. Nora is kind of like comfort food in book form.

I somehow went from taking one American Sign Language class at the local community college to being a full-time student. Oops. We'll see how that works out on top of attempting to homeschool and do a few outside classes with 4 little ones, getting 0 sleep with the baby, and dealing with all of the appointments that go along with a foster lovey. I'm fairly sure I've lost my mind. ;)

What did you think of The Sparrow? I'm so scared to revisit that book given how it affected me the first time, but it keeps popping up into my consciousness - here and IRL as well.

• Like 9

It is the third of three, but maybe not the third of three.  The author intended it to be a trilogy.  He has said IF he ever writes another Miss Peregrine book it will not be for quite a while.  He may choose to never write one again and it would be fine because the third book ends with adequate closure.

That's good enough for me. I put in a hold request and am only #2 with 3 copies on order, so I should get it soon after it comes out. Better get some others done first! Thanks.

• Like 10

It is. The good news is that it has been cool, drizzly and overcast - and no wind- all day. I just heard a bunch of air tankers go over, which is a huge relief. The planes were all grounded yesterday because of the smoke and wind and that not only made the fire harder to fight, but it made it really hard to see where it was going. It has apparently been spluttering and jumping around in the hilly ridge country just east of us all day today, but it has slowed down enough that the firefighters have been able to create firebreaks and set backfires, so they are feeling increasingly confident that it won't do a repeat of Saturday night. Best case, they can kind of corral it to the east where it will meet up with the already burned-over area from the Rocky fire, and die out. I'm so thankful it didn't head north toward Clearlake. Or west toward us.

Good to hear some good news. Y'all's fires have been on my mind all day. But so awful to hear of towns, just gone.
  • Like 10

I can't like any of the fire updates, but.... gah.  Oh my word.   :grouphug: Holding of all of you CA ladies in the light.  And thinking a lot about Young Men and Fire...

Checking in late as we spent the day in Houston examining the special exhibit of Habsburg bling at the art museum, including the Velasquez painting of the Infanta Maria Teresa which we all knew from our art history curriculum but actually got to see! We were like a bunch of hayseeds, standing there staring at it slackjawed for so long. Look at that, paw, all the way from Aw-stree-ya! Shore is purty, Betty Lou.... Honestly though, sometimes I wish I didn't have to drive three hours through cow country just to get to a half-decent museum. The Habsburg knickknacks were fantastic. What shall we put in the middle of our table this month, Franz-Josef? Ach how about a few gold nereids sitting on a carved walnut elephant, holding up gold-framed gem-carved cameos of our various family members? That will look splendid next to the gold-and-rare-shell triple-tiered sorbet holder from Uncle Karl.

:lol: (spluttering coffee onto my keyboard....)

:grouphug: :grouphug:  to all our CA girls with worries about the fires.

VC, loved reading your account of your museum visit. :lol:

I am still plugging away at Marco Polo. Enjoying it but in small doses.

Exactly how I'm feeling with Brothers Karamazov.  I seem to have lost the muscle for Very Long books; I keep falling asleep after 30 minutes.  Even though it's funny.

I finished To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee today.  What an amazing book!  I remember liking it in 8th grade Honor’s English, but there is no way I could have truly understood the depths and intricacies of this book at that age!  I had not reread the book since, nor had I seen the movie, so I vaguely knew parts of the story while other parts were totally new or refreshed.  At the beginning I was wondering why I was so engaged in a story about small town Alabama in the 1930’s.  Towards the middle I was feeling the tension and the anxiety of the case.  And at the end, it was endearing.  I started this as my Banned Books read but I may decide to put it in my Pulitzer Prize winning category if I can get another banned book in this week.  I wonder if the people who have tried to ban this book have actually read it, because to me the underlying theme is clear.  And though I read it in 8th grade, I do feel it is a high school book, however, even in a later high school grade I do not think I would have “understood†the book as I do today.  On a side note, the parts about the schools in the midst of changing their system of education gave me a wry chuckle as it was bad enough the first time around and we are going through it again now.  Quote:  â€œNow you tell your father not to teach you any more.  It’s best to begin reading with a fresh mind.  You tell him I’ll take over from here and try to undo the damage—“  “Your father does not know how to teach.† I won’t get on my soapbox about that!  ONE OF MY FAVORITE BOOKS OF THE YEAR!  So glad I read it again! 

:001_wub: Sooooo agree, especially to the bolded bits.  The so-common assignment of TKAM in middle school is one of my all time Pet Peeves.

Why do I even read other threads on the Chat board. :(

Channeling my twelve year old daughter:  I know, right?   :banghead:

Between high holy days and my intermittent dips into Brothers Karamazov, I got little other reading done.  I did work through Rabbi Rachel Berenblatt's Days of Awe, a progressive/liberal machzor (prayerbook/liturgy) for the season; and also Amos Tutuola's Palm Wine Drinkard, a Things Fall Apart-era magical tale that Jane recommended ages ago.  Theoretically still plugging on Spanish stories; I think I need a discipline like marking out a time on the calendar....

• Like 12

I forgot the 5th Michael Vey book was coming out today.  Amazon e-mailed me to let me know my pre-order was completed.  So of course I immediately turned on my Kindle so it would download.  And now I have to hurry up and finish Dorian Gray so I can read Michael Vey.  I love that series.

And this means one week until Library of Souls.  And then two more weeks until the first Magnus Chase book.  This is a good book few weeks!

• Like 8

I've been reading for my book group which meets this Thursday.  I'm now past the halfway point in A Tale for the Time Being: A Novel  by Ruth Ozeki. 

My mad searching skills tell me that Stacia, Pam in CT, LostSurprise, ElaineJ, Kim in Appalachia, and mumto2 (and perhaps others) have all read this over the past few years.

It took about fifty pages for me to be drawn in, but I'm engrossed in the story now.  I'll report again after I finish the book.

"“A time being is someone who lives in time, and that means you, and me, and every one of us who is, or was, or ever will be.â€

In Tokyo, sixteen-year-old Nao has decided there’s only one escape from her aching loneliness and her classmates’ bullying. But before she ends it all, Nao first plans to document the life of her great grandmother, a Buddhist nun who’s lived more than a century. A diary is Nao’s only solace—and will touch lives in ways she can scarcely imagine. Across the Pacific, we meet Ruth, a novelist living on a remote island who discovers a collection of artifacts washed ashore in a Hello Kitty lunchbox—possibly debris from the devastating 2011 tsunami. As the mystery of its contents unfolds, Ruth is pulled into the past, into Nao’s drama and her unknown fate, and forward into her own future."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 10

Every now and then I venture over but I always regret it. I've been on these boards for at least 12 years and now I can say "I remember the good ol' days..."

Yep!  

Eh, don't bother.  Take up Candy Crush, instead.

Yep!

Yeah. I took up Zombie Running this morning instead. :D Enjoying that app! Hard to outrace the zoms in an ankle-length skirt, though.

:eek:  Maybe I need that app! 

I forgot the 5th Michael Vey book was coming out today.  Amazon e-mailed me to let me know my pre-order was completed.  So of course I immediately turned on my Kindle so it would download.  And now I have to hurry up and finish Dorian Gray so I can read Michael Vey.  I love that series.

How in the world did I miss this!  Dh and Aly are HUGE fans.  I'm surprised dh didn't have this pre-ordered.  Skye and I enjoy it too but maybe not as much as the other two!  Off to check it out and text dh...

• Like 8

Sit down.  I've got some shocking news.  DH just read Dodger by Terry Pratchett and loved it.  Normally he hates Terry Pratchett. It's for our book club this month so I'm going to read it next. 

Why do I even read other threads on the Chat board. :(

You and me both darlin'.  Apparently and half the other ladies here.

I want to head over there and ask if anyone sells Tastefully Simple but I don't want to get sucked into other threads that will a) waste time and b) make me sad/angry/disappointed.

OT - If anyone on BaW thread sells Tastefully Simple ... let me know!  I have some business for you.  End of OT.  Sorry for hijacking Robin!

• Like 11

I've been reading for my book group which meets this Thursday.  I'm now past the halfway point in A Tale for the Time Being: A Novel  by Ruth Ozeki. 

My mad searching skills tell me that Stacia, Pam in CT, LostSurprise, ElaineJ, Kim in Appalachia, and mumto2 (and perhaps others) have all read this over the past few years.

It took about fifty pages for me to be drawn in, but I'm engrossed in the story now.  I'll report again after I finish the book.

"“A time being is someone who lives in time, and that means you, and me, and every one of us who is, or was, or ever will be.â€

In Tokyo, sixteen-year-old Nao has decided there’s only one escape from her aching loneliness and her classmates’ bullying. But before she ends it all, Nao first plans to document the life of her great grandmother, a Buddhist nun who’s lived more than a century. A diary is Nao’s only solace—and will touch lives in ways she can scarcely imagine. Across the Pacific, we meet Ruth, a novelist living on a remote island who discovers a collection of artifacts washed ashore in a Hello Kitty lunchbox—possibly debris from the devastating 2011 tsunami. As the mystery of its contents unfolds, Ruth is pulled into the past, into Nao’s drama and her unknown fate, and forward into her own future."

Regards,

Kareni

My book club did that last year too!  Can't wait to hear what you think of it.

I'm going to take a guess based on what I know of books that you like on your opinion of it .... I'll do it in white so you can come back after you finish and see if I'm right:  You'll love it and plan to read more by the author. 

• Like 9

Rose hugs for the fires. That was me last year

Eliana, I've never enjoyed Damia either, the first two books in that series suffer from being expanded short stories, I always feel like I'm missing part of the story, and I love McCaffrey's Pern series

For the Romance ladies, a whole lot of freebies http://omgreads.com/back-to-school-romance/

And the next Ivy Years book (Sarina Bowen), The Fifteenth Minute, will be out on October 13th

I continue being exhausted but now I have my new Kindle so I am going to curl up with the latest J.D. Robb book now

• Like 11

On another thread about the fires Rosie wondered if folk here in CA have evacuation bag packed and ready to go. You'd think I would after 2 evacuations, but somehow it seems like "borrowing trouble", like I'm giving into my neurosis. But given the drought and the arsonists around here, perhaps I should...

Oh no. It's definitely borrowing trouble if you haven't packed your bag!

The other year, we went to the city for the day then couldn't get home for four days because the highways were on fire. That kind of thing makes you wish you had packed your phone charger. :p

• Like 11

Sit down.  I've got some shocking news.  DH just read Dodger by Terry Pratchett and loved it.  Normally he hates Terry Pratchett. It's for our book club this month so I'm going to read it next. 

I have been told I am the only person in the world who hates Terry Pratchett books.  Ha!  I'm not!

• Like 9

Oh no. It's definitely borrowing trouble if you haven't packed your bag!

The other year, we went to the city for the day then couldn't get home for four days because the highways were on fire. That kind of thing makes you wish you had packed your phone charger. :p

My uncle once packed a couple of pairs of shorts, underwear and such and his golf clubs when he evacuated. Once was 10 years ago and he was evacuating due to Katrina. It took almost a year for them to get back to their house in New Orleans.

• Like 10

Hello, hope you all don't mind me stopping in. I am usually a lurker, but I've had a chance to do some reading of my own lately and would love to share,and get more inspiration :)

Read in September:

Orphan Train: I liked this one a lot. It was a quick read on a topic I find interesting. It's two stories woven together, a teenager in foster care and an older woman she is doing community service with, who relives her life story as they clean-out her attic. The older woman's story begins as an immigrant from Ireland, being orphaned and then sent out to the midwest of "the orphan trains." 

I must be on an orphan/family theme, because I also read, Dear Mr. Knightley. A 23 year old "orphan" is given a chance at a funded grad school program, with the stipulation that she write letters to the benefactor, who is only referred to as, Mr. Knightley. This was a fun Austen spin-off, and although I guessed the end pretty quickly, I really liked it.

Forgotten Garden: The author was great at imagery, and I could "see" everything in the story as I read, and I really thought I was going to like this one. But I felt like the end was really rushed, and the characters made choices that didn't seem consistent with how the author had originally developed them. 

Love Among the Chickens: This was my first by PG Wodehouse and it was interesting! It's really silly and ridiculous, but a funny, quirky, quick read.

Reading:

Not sure exactly what to read next. I'm slogging through Madame Bovary, but that's going very slowly. I found My Sister's Keeper at the thrift store yesterday, i might read that next.

• Like 13

What is that wet stuff falling from the sky?! This buzzfeed video is spot on:

When it rains in LA

Oh, my gosh, that was hilarious!  It's was exactly what happens here in San Antonio when it rains right down to the "crazy 11 seconds" (though no earthquake... we don't get those either).  Whenever it suddenly rains (and it is almost always sudden) while taekwondo classes are going on my daughter (who works there) says the kids all stop and blankly stare out the window at the stuff falling from the sky.  The umbrella thing cracked me up because I have seen people panic and get confused on how to open it and by the time they figure it out the rain is over.  We have an umbrella, but I have never actually used it in over two years of living here.

• Like 12

Oh no. It's definitely borrowing trouble if you haven't packed your bag!

We don't have an evacuation plan as there's no likelihood of needing to evacuate; but we keep a mag light with fresh batteries and room to cower in the "tornado room" (under-stairs closet). Which came in useful for Great Girl this last summer. Twice. Poor thing.

• Like 9

Yeah. I took up Zombie Running this morning instead. :D Enjoying that app! Hard to outrace the zoms in an ankle-length skirt, though.

I wear a lot of ankle-length skirts but if the zombies come, I'm taking scissors to them faster than you can say "brains."

This comes from Mental Floss and is quite visually stunning  ~

Super Magnified Grains of Sand Become Dramatic Works of Art  by Hannah Keyser

More can be found in a new book by the scientist featured ~ Gary Greenberg's The Secrets of Sand: A Journey into the Amazing Microscopic World of Sand

Just as I'm looking for more books for our Earth Science study. How did you know?  ;)

• Like 9

Oh, my gosh, that was hilarious! It's was exactly what happens here in San Antonio when it rains right down to the "crazy 11 seconds" (though no earthquake... we don't get those either). Whenever it suddenly rains (and it is almost always sudden) while taekwondo classes are going on my daughter (who works there) says the kids all stop and blankly stare out the window at the stuff falling from the sky. The umbrella thing cracked me up because I have seen people panic and get confused on how to open it and by the time they figure it out the rain is over. We have an umbrella, but I have never actually used it in over two years of living here.

You're surely familiar with the "snow in Central Texas" episode of King of the Hill: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HRa2sFQ3d3k

• Like 8

Hello, hope you all don't mind me stopping in. I am usually a lurker, but I've had a chance to do some reading of my own lately and would love to share,and get more inspiration :)

Read in September:

Orphan Train: I liked this one a lot. It was a quick read on a topic I find interesting. It's two stories woven together, a teenager in foster care and an older woman she is doing community service with, who relives her life story as they clean-out her attic. The older woman's story begins as an immigrant from Ireland, being orphaned and then sent out to the midwest of "the orphan trains." 

I must be on an orphan/family theme, because I also read, Dear Mr. Knightley. A 23 year old "orphan" is given a chance at a funded grad school program, with the stipulation that she write letters to the benefactor, who is only referred to as, Mr. Knightley. This was a fun Austen spin-off, and although I guessed the end pretty quickly, I really liked it.

Forgotten Garden: The author was great at imagery, and I could "see" everything in the story as I read, and I really thought I was going to like this one. But I felt like the end was really rushed, and the characters made choices that didn't seem consistent with how the author had originally developed them. 

Love Among the Chickens: This was my first by PG Wodehouse and it was interesting! It's really silly and ridiculous, but a funny, quirky, quick read.

Reading:

Not sure exactly what to read next. I'm slogging through Madame Bovary, but that's going very slowly. I found My Sister's Keeper at the thrift store yesterday, i might read that next.

The welcome mat is always out for fellow WTM boardies!  Stop by more often!  We happen to be in the middle of a Tuesday afternoon silly time comparing weather and evacuation stories, but we do talk books, too  :laugh:

• Like 11

Finished the book and I don't know what to think.  The ending was fine, but the bit leading up to the heading had me scratching my head.

I finished last night.

General trajectory of the book, for me:

Exciting --> doubtful --> whimsical --> doubtful --> utterly confusing --> doubtful --> comforting --> doubtful

I am still not quite sure what happened. I guess that was intentional.

The best part for me was the contrast of the fanciful goings-on with strong grounding brought about by a constant focus on physical objects.

I was also scratching my head about some of the events leading up to the ending. After a few "Wait, what?" moments I ended up giving in (around the time of the punctuation, if you know what I mean) and just accepting what was described.

I really did enjoy reading the book. That said, I'm glad it was short because if any of the circumstances described had gone on for many pages I think it would have been too much. That level of bewilderment can only be sustained for so long before it gets tiring so I'm glad it was well-edited.

• Like 8

The domestic goddess checks in.  ;)  More on that later.

Welcome Indigomama!  Love Among the Chickens, along with the four Psmith (the P is silent) novels, are my favorite Woodhouse books.  Excellent introduction to Wodehouse!

I love your board name too.  One of my great desires is to take an indigo dying class.

Thanks Pam!  Magda Szabo's novel The Door arrived in my mailbox today.  I suspect it will eventually be sent to a certain professor who apparently shares my reading tastes.  Perhaps his wife can tell me if it already resides in your household.

On the domestic front...I have dough rising for deep dish pizza and I have been ironing which I actually like doing.  I know.  I am weird.  Anyway, while doing these things I have been listening to a dramatization on the BBC of a novel by Hans Falleda, Every Man Dies Alone or Alone in Berlin.  Why have I never heard of this remarkable book based on a true story?  A working class couple decide to perform acts of civil disobedience in a small way by writing postcards critical of Hitler and the Nazis and leaving these cards around Berlin.  They are betrayed and arrested--you know the ending.

The novel was published in Germany in 1947.  It was only translated into English in 2009.  In 2016 it will appear on a screen somewhere near you with the title Alone in Berlin.

I borrowed Kareni's mad search skills and found that a BaW participant named Zebra read the book in 2012.  She wrote in a BaW thread:

Hans Fallada was mentioned in In the Garden of Beasts. He was a German author who lived through WWII. He was put in an insane asylum at some point by the Nazi's, and when he got out wrote this novel in 24 days. He died before it could be published. It was based on the true story of a couple who decides that they are going to do something, even if it's just a small thing, to protest the war. They decide to write inflammatory postcards and leave them around Germany. It was kind of an interesting book. I did find myself wanting to know what was going to happen next. I couldn't tell if it was because it was translated from German, but it read like it was written feverishly, in 24 days.

Loved the rain/snow videos.  Now back to my ironing.

• Like 10

I have been told I am the only person in the world who hates Terry Pratchett books.  Ha!  I'm not!

Is two people enough to start a club - a Terry Pratchett un-fan club?  :laugh:

Reading:

I highly recommend Very Good, Jeeves as your next PG Wodehouse book.  I was listening to it as an audiobook and almost got into an accident I was laughing so much. 

On a kind a related note this is funny:

DH and I laugh anytime anyone mentions King Gustav of Sweden now. 

Oh, my gosh, that was hilarious!  It's was exactly what happens here in San Antonio when it rains right down to the "crazy 11 seconds" (though no earthquake... we don't get those either).  Whenever it suddenly rains (and it is almost always sudden) while taekwondo classes are going on my daughter (who works there) says the kids all stop and blankly stare out the window at the stuff falling from the sky.  The umbrella thing cracked me up because I have seen people panic and get confused on how to open it and by the time they figure it out the rain is over.  We have an umbrella, but I have never actually used it in over two years of living here.

I lived in San Antonio in high school and then went to Texas A&M.  My family was from the midwest and my parents were in shock that they called off school once when there was a slight chance of snow.  I think it got down to 40 degrees that day and I enjoyed a day off of school. 

• Like 12

I finished last night.

General trajectory of the book, for me:

Exciting --> doubtful --> whimsical --> doubtful --> utterly confusing --> doubtful --> comforting --> doubtful

I am still not quite sure what happened. I guess that was intentional.

The best part for me was the contrast of the fanciful goings-on with strong grounding brought about by a constant focus on physical objects.

I was also scratching my head about some of the events leading up to the ending. After a few "Wait, what?" moments I ended up giving in (around the time of the punctuation, if you know what I mean) and just accepting what was described.

I really did enjoy reading the book. That said, I'm glad it was short because if any of the circumstances described had gone on for many pages I think it would have been too much. That level of bewilderment can only be sustained for so long before it gets tiring so I'm glad it was well-edited.

Excellent summary.  If anyone wants to join us in bewilderment (and have a few giggles), let me know and I'll send the book to you.

• Like 8

Read in September:

Reading:

Welcome! My dh is a huge Wodehouse fan. I gather "silly and ridiculous" covers his entire oeuvre pretty well.

Madame Bovary is one of the few classics I've never been able to "get." I've read it twice; no charm either time.

• Like 9

What is that wet stuff falling from the sky?! This buzzfeed video is spot on:

When it rains in LA

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

"Does this mean the drought is over?"  My dh, who works in water conservation, gets this question about 11 seconds after it rains!

On that note, our new roof was finished today, so bring on the rain! I felt horrible wishing it would hold off till our roof was finished, given how badly we need it with the fires and all.

• Like 10

but I don't want to get sucked into other threads that will a) waste time and b) make me sad/angry/disappointed.

This is me!

I wear a lot of ankle-length skirts but if the zombies come, I'm taking scissors to them faster than you can say "brains."

:lol:  I'm seeing visions of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies here.

• Like 9