Menu

s/o "My Dad", flowers and TJ's.....

sheryl

Most people are kind.  I've said it before and here again. 

My Dad's funeral was Monday and we drove back to Charlotte on Tuesday.  I forced myself to run one errand Wednesday and today, Thursday, I went to TJ's. 

We shop at TJ's on a regular basis and DD and I can be found there about once a week.  As a result we've come to know many of the people there and DD is so social that she strikes up a conversation with about anyone - and the employees appreciate her. 

I was ready to enter a lane and decided to leave one to go into "C's" lane because we chit chat every so often.  She is a beautiful black woman from Jamaica and a culinary arts graduate!  She's always giving me tips on food prepping, nutrients, etc.  So, C is ringing up my order; we made small talk about the weather and she asked if we were doing anything for Labor Day to which I replied, "No, it's been a hectic couple of weeks....my Dad passed away last week".   She was taken aback, glanced at me to read that I was serious.  I was filling out my check (yes, we still use checks and I write them in!). Because I was busy with my check, I didn't see her do this but would in time learn what she did......Immediately she went to the flower dept. and brought back a bouquet of flowers.  She did not spare anything.  She brought back an entire bouquet of roses: white, pastel pink, medium pink, red and a red-tipped deep yellow!!!!! 

I was so humbled, surprised, and blessed to be the recipient of such a beautiful, self-less gesture.   Even though it "may" be TJ encourages employees in this regard, she didn't have to.  Of course I thanked her and was so touched I told her I was going to cry (I did) and mentioned that I wanted to give her a hug.

As I left the store I had a little tear or two. 

• Like 38

That made me cry too. I'm really sorry about your dad.

I have to say that I'm not surprised. We go to TJ's once or twice a week. I love the people there. They are real and genuine. Shopping at that store actually makes me enjoy shopping. It's an experience (unlike when I step foot into stores like Ralph's or Von's, for which I cannot get out quickly enough and really try to avoid). It's actually a place I'd consider working, if I needed to go back to work.