Menu

Hotel in San Francisco?

Plateau Mama

Tell me your favorite decent priced hotels in San Francisco! We will be heading there in Mid Feb. want to do the usual tourist stuff then we will tour colleges. Then we will be heading to Disneyland for a few days. I'm wait listed for Disnelyland Californian DVC but may need a hotel there as well.

I'd like to keep it in the $200 range. Preferably with at least a microwave/fridge so I can prepare food for my allergy kid easier.

In SF we were going to visit Stanford and Berkley. I have thought about staying near Berkley but I wanted to avoid renting a car (and paying hotel parking fees) if possible.

We will fly into SF on a Sat. Sightsee Sat/Sun/Mon. Visit colleges Tuesday and drive down to Disneyland on Wednesday probably.

Good, since you're going to visit UC Berkley I'd highly recommend the Claremont which is super close to the campus:

http://www.familyvacationcritic.com/claremont-hotel-club-and-spa/htl/

Really. . . in SF you're paying for location, location. The Claremont is just fifteen minutes outside of SF -- w/ great views of the city. Just don't drive during commute hours into the city and you'll be fine. It's a wonderful Grand Dame hotel that is part of Berkeley history.

You won't have the insane SF hotel parking fees, you won't deal w/ the people defecating -- it's really a treasure. It has a Kennedy summer vibe going for it. Upscale but friendly.

Wait I just saw: you want to avoid renting a car? You mean use BART? I'm not sure what you mean, but UC Berkeley and Stanford are not nearby. I'd rent a roller skate (tiny car) from Enterprise so you can get around. If you're a Costco member, you'll get a deal.

Alley

• Like 3

We stayed here over the summer.  And it was great!  It's in San Jose, but right at the junction of the 101 and 880 so it makes it very accessible to both the east bay and San Francisco.  I'd check out UC Santa Cruz too, such an amazing campus.  So long as there isn't a football game in town, you should be good.  There's also a Target and several, better-quality fast food eateries within walking distance.

• Like 2

Good, since you're going to visit UC Berkley I'd highly recommend the Claremont which is super close to the campus:

Wait I just saw: you want to avoid renting a car? You mean use BART? I'm not sure what you mean, but UC Berkeley and Stanford are not nearby. I'd rent a roller skate (tiny car) from Enterprise so you can get around. If you're a Costco member, you'll get a deal.

Alley

I was going to rent a car Tuesday & Wednesday to do college tours and then drive to Disneyland. I was hoping not to have to rent a car the entire time. I dont remember renting a car last time I went to SF.

If I need a car I will rent one, but I don't want to pay $40-60/day for hotel parking.

You can take Caltrain from SF to Stanford (I've done it). It may take a bit longer than driving (or not!), but you'll avoid traffic jams, rental & parking fees, etc.

http://www.caltrain.com/schedules.html

There is a free shuttle (Marguerite) from the Palo Alto Caltrain station to various Stanford campus locations:

http://visit.stanford.edu/plan/public_transit.html

(ETA: If you're not carrying much, it's a very pleasant walk to campus ... 10–20 min? And you get a nice introduction to Stanford, walking up Palm Drive -- with palm trees ... blue sky ... and the Quad & Mem Chu (Memorial Church) shimmering in the distance ... :) )

And of course BART from Berkeley to and from SF. Or a bus (cheaper; not as nice).

My son just started his sophomore year at Berkeley and LOVES it. PM me if you'd like more info. If he's free maybe he could even show you around a bit.

P.S. I LOVE the Claremont. A gem. Very historic, with great views, walking paths nearby, etc. I haven't stayed there overnight, but we've attended a wedding reception, had lunch, etc.

• Like 1

Thank you all. I have forwarded the recommendations to DH for him to look over. I think we will stay near near Berkley and then rent a car.

Another question. Is it warm enough to swin in February? I'm assuming no but DH really wants a pool.

Yes, it is usually warm enough to swim in an outdoor heated pool in February.

We stayed at the Sir Francis Drake.  It was very reasonably priced on Priceline.  We got the special pricing where we didn't exactly know which hotel but we picked the area.  It was so well placed.  We walked to Chinatown, to shopping, and caught the trolley right outside the front door.  

• Like 1

It is never warm enough to swim outside in SF, in my opinion! Maybe in Berkley...  I would think any hotel with pool would have an indoor pool, unless you were on the outskirts of the Bay Area, which are MUCH warmer. But not in February for sure. It will be chilly.

We are from Seattle, so my boys will swim when it's pretty cool. They have been known to swim in Orlando in December. Brrr. As long as the pool is open they will be in it! I just wasn't sure. Around here they empty the outdoor pools after Labor Day. It looked like the Claremont has an outdoor pool and I wasn't sure if there would be water in it or not.

I don't think you have to rent a car to stay in Berkeley. We often fly from Seattle to Oakland on Southwest. From there you can take BART to Berkeley. BART is also an option if you fly into SFO. There are several lovely hotels within walking distance of Downtown Berkeley BART. I would also look at hotels in downtown Oakland. Downtown Oaklanf is having a really interesting revival right now, but you'd definitely have to be comfortable in an urban environment. (I lived in Oakland without a car and loved it, but it's not for everyone.)

Caltrain to Stanford is totally doable from BART, the systems overlap at Millbrae.

I don't think you have to rent a car to stay in Berkeley. We often fly from Seattle to Oakland on Southwest. From there you can take BART to Berkeley. BART is also an option if you fly into SFO. There are several lovely hotels within walking distance of Downtown Berkeley BART. I would also look at hotels in downtown Oakland. Downtown Oaklanf is having a really interesting revival right now, but you'd definitely have to be comfortable in an urban environment. (I lived in Oakland without a car and loved it, but it's not for everyone.)

Caltrain to Stanford is totally doable from BART, the systems overlap at Millbrae.

So if I stay in Berkley can I easily get to the sites in SF? There are 5 of us. Youngest will be turning 8 on the trip so super long walks are not doable.

So if I stay in Berkley can I easily get to the sites in SF? There are 5 of us. Youngest will be turning 8 on the trip so super long walks are not doable.

BART from Berkeley takes you to downtown SF and the Civic Center traveling along Market Street. Market Street is the heart of SF. Easy walk to the Ferry building, the cable cars, Chinatown, Union Square. From Market Street you can take a street car along the water to Fishermans Wharf, or take the N-Judah streetcar to Golden Gate Park. Transportation options in SF really converge on Market Street. (I lived in SF without a car too!)
  • Like 2

BART from Berkeley takes you to downtown SF and the Civic Center traveling along Market Street. Market Street is the heart of SF. Easy walk to the Ferry building, the cable cars, Chinatown, Union Square. From Market Street you can take a street car along the water to Fishermans Wharf, or take the N-Judah streetcar to Golden Gate Park. Transportation options in SF really converge on Market Street. (I lived in SF without a car too!)

And once in SF you can take buses.  We bought the City Pass and took buses all over. 

• Like 1

Really. . . in SF you're paying for location, location. The Claremont is just fifteen minutes outside of SF -- w/ great views of the city. Just don't drive during commute hours into the city and you'll be fine. It's a wonderful Grand Dame hotel that is part of Berkeley history.

You won't have the insane SF hotel parking fees, you won't deal w/ the people defecating -- it's really a treasure. It has a Kennedy summer vibe going for it. Upscale but friendly.

Alley

Oh I adore the Claremont Hotel. Swoon!

If I were on foot I might go for the Hotel Durant, which is right in the south-side heart of Berkeley. One would get a much better feel for what it is like to be in Bezerkely than in the civilized remove of the Claremont.

Go Bears! 

http://hoteldurantberkeley.com

Bill

• Like 1

You can do the entire thing without renting a car if you want to.

Caltrain runs from SF to Palo Alto, where you can catch the shuttle to Stanford.

BART (which meets up with Caltrain at the Millbrae station) runs within 4 blocks of the UCB campus.

I live around here so I don't stay in the hotels but some friends of our always stay at the Cow Hollow Inn on Lombard, which is reasonably priced and clean. It has parking as well. Right now it's about $225 according to Google, but Feb is much cheaper than Aug. It's not close to a lot of transit, though, so I would only suggest it if you decide on having a car.

It depends on the sites. Anything along the water, downtown, Chinatown, North Beach, or Union Square will be easy. You'll have to take MUNI if you want to go farther afield without walking, such as Golden Gate Park, Ocean Beach, Cliff House, etc. Actually for GG Park you might want to bus anyway as it's difficult to get parking around there even in Feb.

• Like 1

It depends on the sites. Anything along the water, downtown, Chinatown, North Beach, or Union Square will be easy. You'll have to take MUNI if you want to go farther afield without walking, such as Golden Gate Park, Ocean Beach, Cliff House, etc. Actually for GG Park you might want to bus anyway as it's difficult to get parking around there even in Feb.

I haven't planned everything out but I know we want to to the wharf, Alcatraz, Golden Gate Bridge, ride the trolly. Then UC Berkley And Stanford.

I'd rather not rent a car if I don't have to but it's not a huge deal if I need to.

I haven't planned everything out but I know we want to to the wharf, Alcatraz, Golden Gate Bridge, ride the trolly. Then UC Berkley And Stanford.

I'd rather not rent a car if I don't have to but it's not a huge deal if I need to.

It's not that long a walk from Cow Hollow Motor Inn to the wharf or the launch for the Alcatraz ferry. It's probably an hour walk to the SF side of the GG Bridge. If you want to walk on the bridge, it's a mile long. It's probably a 30-45 minute walk to the closest place to catch a cable car. Unless you stick close to the water for that walk, you might end up climbing quite a hill on the way.

Another thing you could consider is Uber, since your youngest doesn't require a car seat or booster and you would only be riding a mile or two at 25mph. Taxis are difficult to get in SF unless you're at a major hotel.

Oh I adore the Claremont Hotel. Swoon!

If I were on foot I might go for the Hotel Durant, which is right in the south-side heart of Berkeley. One would get a much better feel for what it is like to be in Bezerkely than in the civilized remove of the Claremont.

Go Bears!

http://hoteldurantberkeley.com

Bill

Hotel Durant is lovely -- my parents (who met at Berkeley!) have stayed there. We love the Berkeley City Club (designed by Julia Morgan) - oh, but that's not realistic for 5 kids. Check out the photos, though. The pool is amazing. Try to get a peek inside (I've taken visitors around - with permission of the concierge). Oh, and the library upstairs ... *swoon*. And the courtyards ... and the loggia. And it's one block from campus. Surprisingly affordable (for a couple) for downtown Berkeley.

http://berkeleycityclub.com/

https://berkeleycityclub.wordpress.com/2015/08/12/courtyard-love-part-2/

On the Berkeley campus, definitely spring (a few bucks per person) to go to the top of the Campanile (bell tower). Amazing views of SF, the Golden Gate, etc.

• Like 1

Hotel Durant is lovely -- my parents (who met at Berkeley!) have stayed there. We love the Berkeley City Club (designed by Julia Morgan) - oh, but that's not realistic for 5 kids. Check out the photos, though. The pool is amazing. Try to get a peek inside (I've taken visitors around - with permission of the concierge). Oh, and the library upstairs ... *swoon*. And the courtyards ... and the loggia. And it's one block from campus. Surprisingly affordable (for a couple) for downtown Berkeley.

http://berkeleycityclub.com/

https://berkeleycityclub.wordpress.com/2015/08/12/courtyard-love-part-2/

On the Berkeley campus, definitely spring (a few bucks per person) to go to the top of the Campanile (bell tower). Amazing views of SF, the Golden Gate, etc.

Wow, I'm embarrassed to admit I've never been inside the Berkeley City Club. Beautiful!

Thanks for posting. Julia Morgan was quite an architect.

Bill

• Like 1

Thank you all for the help! I really appreciate it. I've got the Claremont booked. Now I've got to figure out what all we want to do and figure out the transit system!

The Claremont is not too far from a BART station, but it is up a steep hill. I'd ask the consierge about shuttles, etc.

It is a really pretty hotel.

Bill

Wow, I'm embarrassed to admit I've never been inside the Berkeley City Club. Beautiful!

Thanks for posting. Julia Morgan was quite an architect.

Bill

There is a Julia Morgan display on the ground floor. She designed so many buildings – I had no idea. Private homes, women's gyms, churches, and of course Hearst Castle.

To add to the Berkeley City Club's awesomeness ... Private voice lessons are given there on Mondays. You can sit in the courtyard sipping your tea and reading and listen to arias floating out of an upper window. You feel like you're in Italy ...

Also, Friday Night Waltz (Palo Alto) held their annual New Year's Eve ball in the BCC's lovely ballroom last year. $20 included lessons and the dance :)

• Like 2

There are 5 of us, not 5 kids. I wouldn't leave the house if I had 5 kids!

Hotel Durant is booked for my dates. I think I'm going to book Claremont and I can cancel if we decide on something else.

Even though I was the one who brought up the Hotel Durant, as it would give a better feel for student living/atmosphere in Berkeley (which is exceedingly interesting), with a young one along you'll probably appreciate the escape afforded by the Claremont. More serene, and family friendly. 

Bill

There is a Julia Morgan display on the ground floor. She designed so many buildings – I had no idea. Private homes, women's gyms, churches, and of course Hearst Castle.

To add to the Berkeley City Club's awesomeness ... Private voice lessons are given there on Mondays. You can sit in the courtyard sipping your tea and reading and listen to arias floating out of an upper window. You feel like you're in Italy ...

Also, Friday Night Waltz (Palo Alto) held their annual New Year's Eve ball in the BCC's lovely ballroom last year. $20 included lessons and the dance :)

I had a great little mountain cabin type cottage on Durant just above College Ave (prime location of all time!) and just up a street we had friends in a Julia Morgan house.

Between Julia Morgan, Bernard Maybeck, Greene and Greene, and other affiliated architects, there are some very lovely buildings there.

For those that don't know Julia Morgan built the gym at Berkeley (now the women's gym) which is just stunning with the pool and everything, and was then hired by William Randolph Hearst to design Hearst Castle. An amazing talent!

Bill

ETA: Oops you mentioned Hearst Castle :D

ETA #2. As a student there I remember more than a few occasions where I was in a building/home that wasn't ostentations or anything, but that had a magic charm. And expressing my admiration for the architectural charm. Only to learn it was designed by Julia Morgan (or Bernard Maybeck). She was great even when she wasn't designing "castles."

• Like 1

The Claremont is not too far from a BART station, but it is up a steep hill. I'd ask the consierge about shuttles, etc.

It is a really pretty hotel.

Bill

Do you have an idea how far it is? We are accustomed to big hills here in Seattle so as long as it's not super far we should be ok. Little guy might have some issues but if the uphill it to the transit he should be fresh. ;-)

Do you have an idea how far it is? We are accustomed to big hills here in Seattle so as long as it's not super far we should be ok. Little guy might have some issues but if the uphill it to the transit he should be fresh. ;-)

I'm fairly certain the closest BART station is the Rockridge station, which is about a mile and a half.

The walk down (and then fairly flat) would not be too bad. Returning would be a little bit of a trudge at the end. Nothing stupendous, but the Hotel is a bit up on a view point. The "hill" really consists of the Hotel grounds (big grounds), the rest of the way is more-or-less flat.

Bill

I'm fairly certain the closest BART station is the Rockridge station, which is about a mile and a half.

The walk down (and then fairly flat) would not be too bad. Returning would be a little bit of a trudge at the end. Nothing stupendous, but the Hotel is a bit up on a view point. The "hill" really consists of the Hotel grounds (big grounds), the rest of the way is more-or-less flat.

Bill

Thanks. It looks like the bus line is near the hotel and will drop us of a block away fron Rockridge. And then I like the idea of getting the citypass in San Francisco. Might save the Golden Gate Bridge for our way out of town when we have a car.

• Like 2

I went to a wedding there. Just beautiful.  I'm not vegan, but the couple was, and the caterer who contracts with BCC was awesome.

Thanks. It looks like the bus line is near the hotel and will drop us of a block away fron Rockridge. And then I like the idea of getting the citypass in San Francisco. Might save the Golden Gate Bridge for our way out of town when we have a car.

Yeah, take the bus. The Claremont is not very transit-friendly and in Feb it might be raining, esp in an El Niño.

• Like 1

I went to a wedding there. Just beautiful. I'm not vegan, but the couple was, and the caterer who contracts with BCC was awesome.

Yeah, take the bus. The Claremont is not very transit-friendly and in Feb it might be raining, esp in an El Niño.

Didn't think about the rain. We are accustomed to the rain I just hadn't thought to prepare for it. ;-). besides the ski slopes, the only place we've ever traveled in the winter is Florida.

• Like 1

Don't rent a car while you're going between Berkeley and SF.  You won't need it.  The BART is faster.  Buses while in downtown SF aren't faster than traffic, but YOU don't have to drive in it.  Nor do you have to find a place to put the car.  Or pay the bridge tolls.  (But make sure you've got your ticket because they do check -- even when it looks like they won't.  The fine for not having a ticket is pricey)

We got all over Berkeley and SF with young kids with no car.

A couple years ago I was at a meeting at the Moscone Center and stayed in Berkeley.  The BART got me there plenty fast for the early sessions and I didn't have to get up at an insane hour.  But -- you do have to know how to do the BART from SF to Berkeley.  There aren't that many that go to Berkeley specifically.  You have to transfer between trains. It's quick and easy IF you know how to do it.  But getting anyone official to tell you how to do it is impossible.  When you're in the SF BART station, walk up to a likely looking person (someone of student age with a backpack is a good bet) and ask them how to get to Berkeley.  That's likely where they're going.  Then follow them when they get off the train and go running across the platform to get the transfer.

Swimming in an outdoor heated pool will be fine.  We've done it in Dec in LA in the pouring rain while everyone else was walking around in coats.  Then we had to run back half a block in wet suits to our hotel.  A bit chilly, but  really not an issue.  (Course, I often go out in a wet suit when it's 0 F or so -- just throw my clothes and coat on top.)

• Like 2

The Hotel Durant on Grant St in Berkeley is terrific, not costly, near everything Cal, and will give a good sense of the college scene. The lobby is lovely, with a nice bar for the grown ups. The Durant is a bit quirky, which my kids loved.

In SF, I'd give great consideration to the Holiday Inn near the Civic Center at Market Street. It's a quick walk to BART, and an easy walk to the cable cars on Powell. It's inexpensive by SF standards, has great room service. (For a solid week I had the avocado omelet delivered for breakfast.) Supremely convenient. It's not fancy, but is solid.

ETA: I see Durant has been discussed and booked. Enjoy!

• Like 2

The Hotel Durant on Grant St in Berkeley is terrific, not costly, near everything Cal, and will give a good sense of the college scene. The lobby is lovely, with a nice bar for the grown ups. The Durant is a bit quirky, which my kids loved.

In SF, I'd give great consideration to the Holiday Inn near the Civic Center at Market Street. It's a quick walk to BART, and an easy walk to the cable cars on Powell. It's inexpensive by SF standards, has great room service. (For a solid week I had the avocado omelet delivered for breakfast.) Supremely convenient. It's not fancy, but is solid.

ETA: I see Durant has been discussed and booked. Enjoy!

Durant had no availability. I booked the Claremont. But the Holiday Inn you mentioned isn't that much more. I'm torn between being right in the city at a plain hotel, or farther out in a hotel that seems to have more character. Hmmm.

Don't figure on using the bathrooms in the BART stations.  They are often closed/out of service.

Also, if possible while you're there, visit the Lawrence Hall of Science in Berkeley.  I believe that there is still a free shuttle from the campus to the LHS.  It's a children's science museum, but it's quite unique--amazing views of the Bay and SF from high on a hillside, a lot of displays outside that focus on the unique (earthquake) geology of the region, and a great cafeteria.  It's the home of the GEMS studies, which are available for perusal and sale at the store there.

• Like 1

You didn't find the neighborhood a bit sketchy? The Holiday Inn on 8th is slightly less sketchy that the one on 4th, but the biggest drug trade in SF happens on 6th, south of Market, between those two hotels.

You didn't find the neighborhood a bit sketchy? The Holiday Inn on 8th is slightly less sketchy that the one on 4th, but the biggest drug trade in SF happens on 6th, south of Market, between those two hotels.

I felt very safe. It's a busy business area in the daytime. I was there for a full week. I loved how close I was to everything. Dh was working nearby, so I explored a lot on my own, and the price was great. I'm used to the city and city things. I never felt I was in danger. I wouldn't have suggested it otherwise. I've stayed at the Claremont. It's gorgeous. I would not dissuade that option. :)

• Like 2

This is a more general FYI – if you have any connection to UC Berkeley (an alumnus/a in the family; visiting a student or dept; etc.), you can stay at LBL (Lawrence Berkeley Lab), high on the hills above campus. The hotel is just above the "Big C" (behind a chain-link fence, of course). Nice modern rooms, reasonable cost, free shuttle down the hill to campus/city, nerdy vibe (foreign post-docs getting coffee in the lounge at 2 am in their jammies), and an absolutely stunning view of the Bay Area, esp. at night.

http://berkeleylabguesthouse.org/

(Oh, and since it's a federal lab, no guests under age 18.)

• Like 2