Menu

Help for weight loss. How?

SharonM

Everyone is different. I'm sharing what works for me. It might help someone else. Or not.

I'm certainly not upset if my way doesn't work for other folks. I do lower carb, and I don't eat tons of meat. I'm not a huge carnivore, even if I am an omnivore. Today was an avocado for breakfast. A big Greek salad for lunch. Seltzer water and a small handful of cashews in the afternoon to get me through the afternoon rush at work, and then supper was a big slice of spinach frittata I quickly tossed together when I got home from work. I put a plate of sliced tomatoes & cucumbers on the table. Nobody complained. lol

I feel energetic with what I've found works for me. A carby diet makes me feel supremely sluggish, while the bread and potatoes camp out in mah belly and have a party. :)

I very much understand that every bod has its own needs.

• Like 2

I guess because I am trying to lose weight right now I keep coming back to this and reading the replies. It's so interesting that everyone has such different takes, but it's great so many people are finding what works for them. 

To the OP - I'm guessing like most of us, this isn't your first diet. It's not mine for sure. But I can look back at the other attempts and glean some helpful information. I've learned that I can't do diets where I am excluding things - low carb, Whole 30, Fit for Life. I just can't not ever eat meat or carbs or cheese or beans again. I believe all diet or health plans have something in common though - eat more veggies. They all say that, so that's my starting point. 

Also, I love to eat and I feel a satiety not from being full per se, but from tastes and textures. A meal is not complete to me without some crunch and some strong flavors. These have been important lessons to me - I'm not doing myself any favors eating a huge salad that doesn't really mentally satiate me and then still want a whole bag of potato chips or chips and salsa. But if I have a couple tortilla chips on my salad, or some crunchy breadsticks with it, then it works for me. These are important lessons for me to learn :laugh:

The other thing I have learned is that I am really sedentary unless I really try. I am counting calories right now. I needed to know where I stood with that and I realized right away that what I thought I was eating was not really accurate. Seeing it and black and white for weeks at a time makes it harder to convince myself that I am eating the right things when I am clearly not. And when I always answered moderate to those calorie burning calculators - I was wrong. My fitbit taught me that. I have a job and I sit and work on a computer all day. When you see your steps and your active minutes and your calories all right there together, well sometimes it can be eye opening.

Now that I have a handle on portion sizes and feeling satisfied and getting more activity, I am trying to move to eating better food in my allotted calories. This will be a big step for me! I like me some junk :lol: But I think it's a natural progression. 

But it's all a process. Perhaps you can look back at things you've tried and maybe some worked better than others for you. That might help you figure out where you should start. I wish you all the best in being happy and healthy! 

• Like 7

Something that I forgot to mention is replacing one form of satisfaction with another.  I tend to eat a lot in the evening: I'm tired, and eating makes me feel better.  Husband and I have taken to going for a walk every evening: it's an hour when I am not sitting around eating, it gives us a bit of exercise, and the walking and fresh air bring me satisfaction that replaces that which I would get from eating.

• Like 8

The other thing I have learned is that I am really sedentary unless I really try. I am counting calories right now. I needed to know where I stood with that and I realized right away that what I thought I was eating was not really accurate. Seeing it and black and white for weeks at a time makes it harder to convince myself that I am eating the right things when I am clearly not. And when I always answered moderate to those calorie burning calculators - I was wrong. My fitbit taught me that. I have a job and I sit and work on a computer all day. When you see your steps and your active minutes and your calories all right there together, well sometimes it can be eye opening.

Ha, yes. 

While a fitbit is a great tool, one low-tech way to tell this is to calculate your calories at sedentary vs. moderately active and then see how far you'd have to walk in a day to burn the calorie difference. For example, for me, the difference between sedentary and moderately active is about 750 calories. That's just about 3 hours of walking at my normal rapid stride. Do I get that in daily activities (not including exercise)? I do not. Not unless I'm visiting my relatives at the farm (actually based on my records from this summer and last summer, I qualify as slightly more than "very active" then). I walk around the classroom constantly and up and down the halls and up and down the stairs and lightly active pretty accurately represents my actual expenditure. 

• Like 1

I walk around the classroom constantly and up and down the halls  

I've often wondered how much walking I get in at school.  I've no idea.  I guess someday I'll have to ask for one of those fitbit deals for Christmas or something.

The only thing I know accurately (most of the time) are the walks we do on purpose.  It's our goal to get at least a mile in per day - usually more - unless the weather doesn't cooperate or one of us is super busy with work or something.

I walk the dog almost every day (weather permitting) for 20 to 30 minutes.  He's a Shih Tzu, but we still move along at a pretty good pace.  That and some basic movement around the house keeps me in the mid-1600 calories range.  If I add in another 45 minutes of brisk walking AND stay fairly active (cleaning, laundry, running up and down the stairs 10-15 times) I can get my calorie burn up over 2000 by just a smidge.  That will be about 14,000 - 15,000 steps and around 5 miles for me.  Before anybody panics -- I'm really short and 52.  Those of you who are taller, heavier and/or younger will be able to burn a lot more calories with the same amount of activity.

• Like 2

I've often wondered how much walking I get in at school.  I've no idea.  I guess someday I'll have to ask for one of those fitbit deals for Christmas or something.

The only thing I know accurately (most of the time) are the walks we do on purpose.  It's our goal to get at least a mile in per day - usually more - unless the weather doesn't cooperate or one of us is super busy with work or something.

When I sub in an elementary school classroom, if I make an effort not to sit on my butt if I have a choice, I usually am hitting 10,000 steps as I'm leaving the building. 

Maybe you could borrow one from a friend for a day. That would give you a good guesstimate. 

• Like 2

When I sub in an elementary school classroom, if I make an effort not to sit on my butt if I have a choice, I usually am hitting 10,000 steps as I'm leaving the building. 

Maybe you could borrow one from a friend for a day. That would give you a good guesstimate. 

I don't know anyone IRL who actually has one.

But I know I'm rarely sitting for long periods of time - whether home or at school.  It doesn't work well with my body.  The only time it happens is if we're traveling in the car/plane and I usually pay for it afterward.  With car traveling we've adopted more stretch breaks than we used to allow.  It definitely helps.

Fat trades places with carbs as the primary energy source.  Protein should stay roughly the same, as the body may convert excess protein to glucose.

You have to remember that some of us are ancient.  When I did low carb well over a decade ago, it was Atkins.  If you look at the Atkins phase 1, it's all about protein, with a little bit about adding a tablespoon of fat to your meal:

http://uk.atkins.com/new-atkins/the-program/phase-1-induction.html

• Like 3

I honestly don't think walking helps with weight loss at all. It helps you feel good, it helps you be healthy, but for burning calories or dropping inches, it does very very little.

I haven't lost weight by walking, but I have changed shape.  I do yoga too, but only one hour a week.  By walking around 12,000 steps a day since the beginning of the year, I lost over an inch off my hips.  

There used to be a big difference in the shape of my bottom between when I tensed my buttocks and when they were relaxed.  Now there's much less difference in shape: my backside is just more toned than it used to be, and that translates, apparently, into one inch less.

• Like 7

I lost about 130 pounds and kept it off over the course of six years. My health was ruined due to mostly unrelated factors and I've regained 90, and am working it off again.

Food quality matters. Carbohydrate matters. I have to go moderate to low carb (net carbs below 50) to lose weight without going nuts and being hungry all the time. Have to. I felt like such a failure calorie counting, because I was so hungry all the time. It turns out when I watch the starch and sugar I can effortlessly consume far, far less.

I don't even need to go paleo and religious on my food quality. Just run of the mill Atkins, including whole foods (not frankenfoods) and daily activity helps so much. Not skimping on fat or overdoing it on protein, working it plenty of vegetable matter, some nuts, and a little fruit here and there. Not moralizing my weight loss failures or cravings, but just dealing with the endocrinology I have (thyroid crap, adrenals total crap, messed up energy regulation in general WRT insulin) and do accordingly.

My husband's family are some who can eat low fat, high carb unprocessed food and do great. About 1/4 of the population can. The rest of us are varying degrees of sensitive to carbohydrate. I'm very, very sensitive and have been since puberty. Sucks to be me, but I managed to lose a whole person and keep it off through two pregnancies, before things changed and I've had to adjust again. So for me, at least, I've found what works.

Walking absolutely helps me tighten and tone (calves, thighs, butt and hips).  As far as burning calories, I think the science is crystal clear on that.  Movement burns more calories than non movement.  Whether it's a significant amount of calories or not depends on lots of factors -- the distance and speed walked, the weight, sex and age of the person doing the walking, whether the terrain is flat or hilly, etc.  And of course whether or not the calories burned helps with weight loss depends on how many calories the person consumes.  Do the walking calories help create a deficit, or does the person just eat that much more?  As the saying goes, you can't out run (or in this case out walk) your fork.  Or maybe I should say spork. ;)

• Like 8

Walking absolutely helps me tighten and tone (calves, thighs, butt and hips).  As far as burning calories, I think the science is crystal clear on that.  Movement burns more calories than non movement.  Whether it's a significant amount of calories or not depends on lots of factors -- the distance and speed walked, the weight, sex and age of the person doing the walking, whether the terrain is flat or hilly, etc.  And of course whether or not the calories burned helps with weight loss depends on how many calories the person consumes.  Do the walking calories help create a deficit, or does the person just eat that much more?  As the saying goes, you can't out run (or in this case out walk) your fork.  Or maybe I should say spork. ;)

What I  mean is that high intensity exercise plus strength training is worlds better from a weight loss perspective.  400 calories burned in 20 minutes (spin class) results in more weight loss long term than 400 calories burned in 60 minutes (walking).  And lifting is a no-brainer if you need to lose weight; more muscle means you burn more calories even when inactive.

Walking is better than sitting, for sure, but it's an inefficient and less effective form of exercise.  It's also delightful to go walking..... but I'd do it in addition to a gym workout, not instead of.

• Like 1

It's not an official diet. BUT . . .

A couple weeks ago I had a very emotionally taxing several days. I ended up not eating for four days. I had some beverages, but no food. For four days. I've never done that before.  :huh:

At that same time, I knew I was a hot mess, so I started exercising like a mad woman. Pretty much ran or biked each day until I dropped. I used to be really into running, but I had stopped running much at all the last 12 months as my mom's illness progressed, and although I've been active (hiking, etc) this summer since Mom died, that's not the same as running. I ran/walked 8 miles my first day out. The next day I biked 26. Rinse, repeat. 

After 4 days of that with no food, I started eating again. HOWEVER, I found that my carb/sugar cravings are gone, gone. I'm getting carbs in gatorade (while I on the trail) and orange juice (once a day or so), and I'm having whatever is available to eat, but I'm not OD'ing on carbs and sugar. I haven't had a dessert in 2 weeks. I have had bread in a sandwich and bread at a fancy restaurant last weekend, but other than that, I've avoided anything that is heavy in carbs. Instead, I'm eating lots of vegetables and healthy fats. I'm also still fasting most of each day, generally eating one good meal at dinner, but not much else. 

I started this out about 18 pounds over my "healthy" weight. I lost 10 pounds the first 10 days. Another pound or two the last 4 days. I've never lost weight any where near that fast. It's certainly slowed down this second week, but I'm still losing. I'm guessing it'll be more like 2 lb/wk from here on out, now that I've flushed out the excess water/bloating/etc and am no longer insanely unhappy and stressed. (Grief, I'm fine, it's normal.)

All this to say that it appears to me that fasting could have been some magic bullet in breaking the carb/sugar craving cycles. Another friend told me that she'd had a similar experience doing the "21 day fix" which I have no idea what it is, as I've never done an official diet, but I'm guessing there is some fast component. 

So, to me, I'd suggest trying a 2-4 day fast or semi-fast (like a juice fast) of some sort to see if it can jump start your diet by breaking some craving cycles. 

Also, I'd suggest sweating a lot, outside, every day. That's my plan I'm working at the moment, and although I started it for mental health (I know that outside exercise is incredibly effective in stabilizing me mentally), the physical benefits are huge. I'm sticking with my current plan until I'm well into the healthy weight zone. And, I would like to keep this feeling of control over food permanently, and I think that for me, I have to keep the carbs/sugar to a minimum to stay in control. 

• Like 1

Let me ask you a question, please.  

When you go on a diet, denying yourself certain foods that you like, do you get frustrated and then pig out on specific foods?  If so, "quote" me so I will see your response, and I will tell you what my mom did.  She probably "lost" more than 2000 pounds in her life, but when she lost the last 75 she kept them off.  I will tell you her story if it will help, and that is related to why I asked the question.

I am a naturally skinny person and have never had a great deal of empathy with my mom's situation, but I do know that she enjoys food in a way I do not, and that is something that I envy, in a funny way.  But she won her battle with the pounds, even so.  

Yeah, I'm rethinking fasting too, esp since it will be easy for me.  I don't have any cravings to break.  I just want to pull off weight more quickly while I can still do it easily.  Without boys at home, there's less "need" for meals.

I'm debating between fasting totally for a couple of days per week or eating breakfast, then skipping lunch and/or supper daily.  Right now I already skip some meals - esp if I forget about eating - but there are still times I eat (something) just because I think I should.

I can't do active exercise anymore.  I've tried a little the past couple of days just to test out what happened by chance before and I don't like the results (health issues).  I need to stay up and active, but there's a window I need to remain in to feel well.  Both inactive and very active are outside that window in nasty ways.  Walking and general chores (farm, house, or school) are not.

• Like 1

What I  mean is that high intensity exercise plus strength training is worlds better from a weight loss perspective.  400 calories burned in 20 minutes (spin class) results in more weight loss long term than 400 calories burned in 60 minutes (walking).  And lifting is a no-brainer if you need to lose weight; more muscle means you burn more calories even when inactive.

Walking is better than sitting, for sure, but it's an inefficient and less effective form of exercise.  It's also delightful to go walking..... but I'd do it in addition to a gym workout, not instead of.

I certainly understand your point.  But there will always be something better -- something that burns more calories in less time and supposedly has more benefit than some other exercise.  Heck, why would you "only" do a spin class or lift weights when you could be training for an Iron Man competition?  Not being able to do the "best" thing is frequently just an excuse for not doing anything.  Walking is easy.  Almost all of us can walk.  It's something we do naturally.  It requires no special equipment (other than maybe a good pair of shoes).  It doesn't require a gym membership.  It's something people of all fitness levels can do.  It's easy to do more of it as we go about our daily lives.  Most of us can continue it into our elderly years.  And there's an extremely low risk of injury.

Also, I don't think anyone is advocating just walking.  Of course the more different things you do the better.  But really . . . I've never seen or heard anything endorsed by a legitimate medical group that didn't advocate walking more.  And there are good reasons it's universally recommended.

• Like 10

I'm sure you are right, but it all depends what an individual would actually end up doing.  It's like choosing curriculum: it can be the best one in the world, but it's useless if it doesn't get done.

I abhor gyms and can't imagine how I would cope with the boredom and competitiveness of a spin class.  I do, however, walk for miles, because I enjoy it.  And over six months, I'm significantly more toned, despite having not lost weight, so it - along with an hour of yoga a week - has built muscle.

• Like 9

I started this out about 18 pounds over my "healthy" weight. I lost 10 pounds the first 10 days. Another pound or two the last 4 days. I've never lost weight any where near that fast. It's certainly slowed down this second week, but I'm still losing. I'm guessing it'll be more like 2 lb/wk from here on out, now that I've flushed out the excess water/bloating/etc and am no longer insanely unhappy and stressed. (Grief, I'm fine, it's normal.)

:grouphug:

Oh, Stephanie. I'm so sorry for your loss. And here I was writing you about Maine Coons. 

Thank you for your parenthetical comment! Shortly after my mother died, I was sick. I went to a new doctor and had to fill in all my family's medical history, which made me cry (checking off what Mom had). When the doc came in, I was wiping tears. I explained that I'd just lost my mother and the first words out of her mouth were, "I can prescribe you an anti-depressant!" 

I looked at her in shock and said, "I'm not depressed. I'm grieving. There's a difference." 

I did take her Rx for the condition I went in for, but I never went back. 

• Like 2

pedometers - or if you have a smart phone, you can download a pedometer app.  you might need to play around to find one compatible with your phone.  I had one that worked great on my old phone, not so much on my current one.

ds recently started working at target - since school hasn't started, he's working nearly full time. he DL'd an app and is walking over 13,000 steps a day (on day's he works.).  he's already fairly thin . . .

• Like 3

I'm sure you are right, but it all depends what an individual would actually end up doing.  It's like choosing curriculum: it can be the best one in the world, but it's useless if it doesn't get done.

I abhor gyms and can't imagine how I would cope with the boredom and competitiveness of a spin class.  I do, however, walk for miles, because I enjoy it.  And over six months, I'm significantly more toned, despite having not lost weight, so it - along with an hour of yoga a week - has built muscle.

If you are BORED in spin class, you're doing it wrong!  Intensity is the whole point. It should be difficult.

I just get frustrated when I see magazine headlines that tell people to walk to lose weight and lose sizes.  Adding a little intensity adds such significant benefits to weight loss. It puts the body in "training mode" which walking won't.

When I started spin, I was morbidly obese, I wasn't keeping up with the fit folks or even trying.  But the amount I was working was hard for me, just as hard for me as the furious pace was for the fittest spinners.  And I saw such a change in my energy level and weight loss. I went to bed tired at night and woke up ready to go, for about the first time in my life.  I've been off the spin bike for over a year and my body hurts again (though I walk 2 miles a day....)

Walking is good for you but exercise changes you!  I am not trying to argue or tell anyone they're wrong. I just really want to encourage folks who want to add exercise to really go for it.

• Like 1

We love walking for miles.  Hubby and I almost always go together and get some great talking in - esp if we're in a new area - but it's also how we catch up on each others lives/day here at home.

I'd be bored in a gym.  When one has a farm with a bit of potential outdoor activities, I'm not convinced one needs a gym membership anyway.  There are always weeds that can be cut/pulled/hauled to a burn pile if nothing else.

pedometers - or if you have a smart phone, you can download a pedometer app.  you might need to play around to find one compatible with your phone.  I had one that worked great on my old phone, not so much on my current one.

ds recently started working at target - since school hasn't started, he's working nearly full time. he DL'd an app and is walking over 13,000 steps a day (on day's he works.).  he's already fairly thin . . .

No smartphone, but I think I've seen pedometers.  I'll have to look for one next time I go to Wally World - or are they sold elsewhere?  Or again, maybe for Christmas I'll put it on my list.  My mom always wants a list...  Thanks for the idea!  I am curious to see what an average day is like both at home and at work.  I can guarantee I do more at home in spring/summer/fall than winter, but other than that, I've no idea.

• Like 4

If you are BORED in spin class, you're doing it wrong!  

not necessarily.  one person's joyful exercise can be totally boring to someone else - even if they are doing it perfectly.

it's okay if people have different sports/activities they like from other people.  we are not identical copies where everyone must like and dislike the same thing.

• Like 11

If you are BORED in spin class, you're doing it wrong!  

Or... you're just different in your preferences.

I'd be bored in any class (or gym) in a building.

But again, at this point in my life, I suspect I'd be risking life itself if I were to do intense exercise, so whether to do it or not is not an issue for me.

I fully agree if folks want to try intense exercise (indoor or outdoor), go for it.  Intense exercise I used to like would involve mountain hiking.  We've done 12 miles (in the past) with the up/down of that and it felt good!  There were shorter ones too, of course.  Then there was riding or biking or working in the hay fields, etc, all preferable to me than any gym.

• Like 5

No smartphone, but I think I've seen pedometers.  I'll have to look for one next time I go to Wally World - or are they sold elsewhere?  Or again, maybe for Christmas I'll put it on my list.  My mom always wants a list...  Thanks for the idea!  I am curious to see what an average day is like both at home and at work.  I can guarantee I do more at home in spring/summer/fall than winter, but other than that, I've no idea.

I'm sure wally sells them.  amazon sells them. they're cheap - <$5 for a basic one.

• Like 2

If you are BORED in spin class, you're doing it wrong!  Intensity is the whole point. It should be difficult.

I just get frustrated when I see magazine headlines that tell people to walk to lose weight and lose sizes.  Adding a little intensity adds such significant benefits to weight loss. It puts the body in "training mode" which walking won't.

When I started spin, I was morbidly obese, I wasn't keeping up with the fit folks or even trying.  But the amount I was working was hard for me, just as hard for me as the furious pace was for the fittest spinners.  And I saw such a change in my energy level and weight loss. I went to bed tired at night and woke up ready to go, for about the first time in my life.  I've been off the spin bike for over a year and my body hurts again (though I walk 2 miles a day....)

Walking is good for you but exercise changes you!  I am not trying to argue or tell anyone they're wrong. I just really want to encourage folks who want to add exercise to really go for it.

Yeah - group intensity in a gym, going nowhere: overwhelmingly irritating and boring.  I'd rather be anywhere else.  So no, I wouldn't use 400 calories in twenty minutes, because I would have left after two.

You have to work with the person you are: losing weight/getting in shape is hard enough without trying to do it through activities that you hate.

I'm glad you enjoy it, but I wouldn't.  Now I walk up hills - that's my intensity.  I'm on my own, in the countryside.  Perfect.  Or, for that matter, shovelling over ten tonnes of compost this season and moving it, mostly by wheelbarrow, across an acre of garden.  Amazing sense of accomplishment and quite intense enough.  For about two months, I was shovelling for at least an hour a day, every day.  Check the exercise threads if you like.

• Like 10

not necessarily.  one person's joyful exercise can be totally boring to someone else - even if they are doing it perfectly.

it's okay if people have different sports/activities they like from other people.  we are not identical copies where everyone must like and dislike the same thing.

I'll get off the topic after this because I don't want to derail, but just to clarify.

If you are bored in the gym, in my opinion, you are not working hard enough to see the benefits.  I don't feel "joyful" when doing intense cardio, far from it. I am working.    I far perfer walking in nature, like just about every other human on earth. Walking versus working out is like the difference between reading a novel and reading an academic text.

If you are advising someone to exercise for pleasure and to get away from being completely sedentary, walking is great.

If you are advising someone to exercise for weight loss, I would advise bouts of intense cardio. Even if it's just mixing sprint walking into walking.   And I would advise some level of strength training for ever woman over 40.

Walking is a great way to get in the habit of doing something. I started there and then moved on, gradually, to lifting.

Did I mention I despise cardio?? LOL

I now prefer lifting heavy (3-5 sets of 5 reps) to getting anywhere near the cardio machines. I still do HIIT cardio 2x per week, though, for 20 minutes. I also have a 45 minute walk each way to and from the gym.

Sent from my RCT6773W22 using Tapatalk

I'll get off the topic after this because I don't want to derail, but just to clarify.

If you are bored in the gym, in my opinion, you are not working hard enough to see the benefits. I don't feel "joyful" when doing intense cardio, far from it. I am working. I far perfer walking in nature, like just about every other human on earth. Walking versus working out is like the difference between reading a novel and reading an academic text.

If you are advising someone to exercise for pleasure and to get away from being completely sedentary, walking is great.

If you are advising someone to exercise for weight loss, I would advise bouts of intense cardio. Even if it's just mixing sprint walking into walking. And I would advise some level of strength training for ever woman over 40.

I totally agree with strength training. But just like any other intense exercise it doesn't have to be done in a gym. There are SO many ways to get hard, vigorous exercise without ever stepping into a gym we couldn't begin to list them all.

And walking can certainly be just as intense as any other form of cardio. It's all about what you put into it. I'm puzzled at the very notion that it can't be intense!

FWIW, I "spun" many years ago before it was a thing. I had a top of the line exercise bike and would do it for an hour or so (and many many miles) at least four days a week. I loved it then. It was a great fit for me. Now I'm at a different stage of life with different wants. I still have a top of the line exercise bike but I don't like doing it so much. I will when the weather's bad. But I no longer really enjoy it like I used to.

ETA--It occurred to me after posting the above that the main reason some of my outlook on this stuff has changed really is due to age. When I was 25 the main reason I exercised was to look good--to be thin and toned. Now at 52 I'm in a totally different place and am much more interested in functional fitness--engaging in activities that are going to keep me strong and flexible (and uninjured!) and able to easily handle activities of daily living for the next thirty years or more. I've not seen anything that convinces me that gym machines are the only or even the best way to go about that. There's quite a lot of info that says many gym machines cause us to use unnatural motions or that they isolate muscles rather than using multiple muscle groups simultaneously in a more natural way, and that those issues may be detrimental to long term functional fitness.

• Like 6

If you are bored in the gym, in my opinion, you are not working hard enough to see the benefits.  I don't feel "joyful" when doing intense cardio, far from it. I am working.    I far perfer walking in nature, like just about every other human on earth. Walking versus working out is like the difference between reading a novel and reading an academic text.

If you are advising someone to exercise for weight loss, I would advise bouts of intense cardio. Even if it's just mixing sprint walking into walking.   And I would advise some level of strength training for ever woman over 40.

I think we are talking at cross purposes.  I don't stroll for 12,000 steps each day.  I live in Scotland and it's rare to find a flat walk.  I wear a Fitbit and regularly spend time in the 'peak' heartrate zone.  So yes, I combine a lovely walk outside (or not so lovely - I walk in all weathers) with a good amount of exercise.

As for studying vs. reading for pleasure?  It's one of the benefits of being a grown up that I get to 'study' the subjects that please me, which is exercise with a secondary purpose: walking in the countryside; digging in the garden to produce food and flowers; yoga that leads to relaxation.  At 52, 5'4" and a strong 132 pounds, knocking spots off many of the the 18 year olds in my yoga class, and with the strongest grip in my family, I'm doing okay.

As I said, I'm glad that the gym works for you.  I've been to gyms on three separate continents (to quote DL Sayers - 'Why separate?  Do normal continents come blended, like teas?') and I've no wish to enter one again.

• Like 11

I'm glad you enjoy it, but I wouldn't.  Now I walk up hills - that's my intensity.  I'm on my own, in the countryside.  Perfect.  

I do that, too, Laura. I especially like it in winter because the leaves are off the trees enabling me to see the sunset, which is on the downhill side of the biggest hill in the neighborhood. So I am extra motivated to walk up the hill fast so that I don't miss anything! 

• Like 5

As for studying vs. reading for pleasure?  It's one of the benefits of being a grown up that I get to 'study' the subjects that please me, which is exercise with a secondary purpose: walking in the countryside; digging in the garden to produce food and flowers; yoga that leads to relaxation.  At 52, 5'4" and a strong 132 pounds, knocking spots off many of the the 18 year olds in my yoga class, and with the strongest grip in my family, I'm doing okay.

That's great for you, but we're talking to the OP, who says she needs to lose 75 lbs. So is presumably 200+ pounds.   It's very challenging to lose that much weight, and takes real work, not just "reading for pleasure".  I don't know if it's easy to understand how hard it is if you are already there.  

Now at 52 I'm in a totally different place and am much more interested in functional fitness--engaging in activities that are going to keep me strong and flexible (and uninjured!) and able to easily handle activities of daily living for the next thirty years or more. I've not seen anything that convinces me that gym machines are the only or even the best way to go about that. There's quite a lot of info that says many gym machines cause us to use unnatural motions or that they isolate muscles rather than using multiple muscle groups simultaneously in a more natural way, and that those issues may be detrimental to long term functional fitness.

I think natural movements and body weight exercises are fantastic.  I just want it to be clear, I guess, that strolling or long walks is not necessarily enough. 

Almost all blogs I've seen involving significant and long-term weight loss talk about running.  I hate running. Hate it.  Gym is a nice way to get somewhat similar levels of work in a more controlled environment  that works better (with my 40DDDs.)

• Like 1

I'm fairly certain lifting hay bales and carrying 5 gallon buckets of water has to be somewhat equivalent to some sort of gym machinery.

Of course, we're not always lifting hay bales.  In the summer there are weeds to be taken down, carted off, piled up, and burned or composted pending which type they are.  In our family most of that is done by hand.  These are not your garden variety weeds when they come from our pastures.  They are pretty large puppies.  We could, of course, spray our pastures, but we prefer to keep things as organic as we can and have this weird notion that doing these things is good for our health.

Tree trimming is a regular option too.

In season, pony foal training is also an option.  Those guys and gals can weigh a bit and definitely use their weight - we get to balance it off when we're training them to lead, get brushed, pick up feet, etc.

Then there is basic garden work or typical yard work for lighter fare.

I can't say I dislike any of the above - esp when I get to pick and choose my variety(ies) of the day.

A gym would cost me money, bore me, and take away my time from doing far more useful things around our place.

IF we lived in a place without tons of options, then a gym could be worthwhile, but I still think personally I'd see what was around for more rigorous walking or hiking first.

• Like 5

Yeah - group intensity in a gym, going nowhere: overwhelmingly irritating and boring. I'd rather be anywhere else. So no, I wouldn't use 400 calories in twenty minutes, because I would have left after two.

You have to work with the person you are.

This! An hour dance class at the gym flew by as opposed to the drudgery of 30 minutes on a treadmill. I miss that dance teacher. He left to go dance in NYC. Some people are so self-absorbed. :lol:

• Like 7

This! An hour dance class at the gym flew by as opposed to the drudgery of 30 minutes on a treadmill. I miss that dance teacher. He left to go dance in NYC. Some people are so self-absorbed. :lol:

My yoga teacher went back to Kashmir to follow her Path.  How dare she!

• Like 6

My yoga teacher went back to Kashmir to follow her Path.  How dare she!

We sell our ponies.  Does that count?  ;)

Of course, we also make new ones each year... or at least get the process going.

• Like 3

"joyful" was the wrong word - but I was in a rush.  more "enjoy" or "satisfied".

I can be satisfied with a good work out.  It feels good to feel my muscles and my lungs after a workout.  that said -  i.e working on a weight machine, or swimming laps - both things from which I could get a good work out - are boring as hell.

eta: I don't 'walk" with dh because I want to walk faster than him.  I love doing yoga - and you can get a hard workout where you are feeling muscles and your breathing within the lung from that for a long time after the workout is over.

To throw another whole angle into the exercise portion, High Intensity Interval Training is optimal for weight loss: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2991639/

'

http://www.poliquingroup.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/930/Is_Aerobic_or_Anaerobic_Training_Best_For_Getting_.aspx  Why interval training is better than sustained aerobic movement such as running in reducing harmful belly fat (click on references to see all the scientific studies.) 

We know any movement is good for us. (This article is called "Sitting is the New Smoking." First big step in fitness is stop sitting for long periods! http://qz.com/223160/why-not-even-exercise-will-undo-the-harm-of-sitting-all-day-and-what-you-can-do-about-it/   Walking is fine to break up sitting and is enjoyable for many people.

Run if you enjoy it. However, if you are trying to lose weight and hate running, only run in interval training. (FWIW, our Zumba instructor structures our Zumba workouts so that they are HIIT workouts. Much more fun that treadmill interval training, but I will do that in a pinch!)  

• Like 4

First, I think possibly you're misreading what people are saying. It is not boring because it is too easy. It is boring because doing something in which you have a total lack of interest is frequently awfully boring, no matter how challenging it is.  I would find learning to hand-make lace incredibly boring. This is not because it is easy. It is because I have a complete lack of interest in doing it. And yet some people find it fascinating and do it for fun. 

Secondly, even for weight loss, whether intense cardio is better or not is irrelevant if the person is just not going to do it because of an intense loathing for intense cardio. It's much better to stroll six days a week than to do intense cardio once and then quit exercising completely because "I hate exercise". 

I don't think anyone actually disagrees with you that intense cardio burns more calories faster. 

• Like 8

I honestly don't think walking helps with weight loss at all. It helps you feel good, it helps you be healthy, but for burning calories or dropping inches, it does very very little.

I have nice muscle indentation on both outer thighst (fascia- between quadricep and hamstring), which I absolutely got from walking. More muscle is good, however you get there. I love that my thighs have that definition even as I am getting older.

• Like 5

That depends entirely on the terrain and the distance.

Strolling leisurely along a level paved trail is not the same as walking cross country in the mountains with a pack.You can definitely have intensity in walking.

It can be difficult and still boring. I would be bored silly and feel like a hamster in a wheel if I had to do spinning in a gym. I would much rather ride an actual bicycle on an actual road or trail in the outside world. Not boring.

• Like 5

It is hard to bike in winter, so I understand why many folks like indoor spinning classes. I'm not a fan, but I live in CA.

oh sure - if they like it, it's a good option. I just wanted to explain why *I* would be bored.

My DH bikes daily to work all winter long, unless there is fresh snow on the street or it rains. I am a fair-weather biker. Just started commuting by bike over the summer to develop the habit and hope to keep it up well into the fall, but I know I probably won't want to bike in subfreezing temps. I'm a slacker. (Midwest  here, so winter is a real hing)