Menu

My 2 year old just got Rx an epi-pen... Now what?

3 ladybugs

I was told this morning that my son's dairy allergy is concerning enough that they want me to carry around an epi-pen and Benadryl at all times for him.

So tell me what you use to ensure this is always around. I was just at Walgreens and they had single dose Benadryl so I got that for him. What things do I need to be aware of that I may not have thought of?

We have known he has a dairy allergy for 2 years now, but we didn't know it was this bad. I guess we have been lucky.

Thank you for the help!

My ds uses a specially designed holder to carry his epi-pen & Benadryl. I think we bought it at Allergy Apparel (www.allergyapparel.com)

The one thing you need to know is that epinephrine is much, much more sensitive to temperature extremes than other medicines. My ds14 (14!!!!!) left his in our car not too long ago. Did I mention it was over 100* outside?!? You'll more than likely be carrying your ds' epi-pen for awhile. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for a tester to practice administering it.

• Like 3

I have a pouch on bike to carry DS' meds when we go bike riding so that I don't have to carry my purse.  DH has his own set of epi-pens and Benadryl so that no matter which parent he is with, we have meds and don't have to switch it back and forth between ourselves.  Taught DS from an early age to ask us before we leave the house if we have his meds?  The more people tasked with remembering the better, and it is never too early to get them actively participating.  There are lots of cute carriers online, too.

If you haven't already, research different ways milk can be labeled, and start reading every label.  It seems like a lot at first, but you will get used to it.  DS still makes us "triple check" his food labels. (I make him read the labels now, too!)

• Like 3

My ds uses a specially designed holder to carry his epi-pen & Benadryl. I think we bought it at Allergy Apparel (www.allergyapparel.com)

The one thing you need to know is that epinephrine is much, much more sensitive to temperature extremes than other medicines. My ds14 (14!!!!!) left his in our car not too long ago. Did I mention it was over 100* outside?!? You'll more than likely be carrying your ds' epi-pen for awhile. Ask your doctor or pharmacist for a tester to practice administering it.

What do you do when you are out and about? I got the Acu-Q or whatever it is that talks. Should I plan on having an ice pack with me on hot days? I figure I will be the one carrying it for a while. We haven't got the pen yet as it was out of stock at our pharmacy. We will get it tomorrow for him. 

We can't have him on chewables. He is only 2 and they don't make them for children that young. 

Honestly, I have never worried too much about "out and about" - more just not leaving it in a car, where the temperatures can get quite high.  I guess it depends on where you live and how hot it gets.

I do put the epi-pens in the cooler with ice packs (not directly touching, though, as extreme cold is also not good) when we are at the beach or pool for prolonged periods, though.

I would ask the pharmacist about temperatures and storing the epipen.  Also did the doctor tell you how much benadryl to give? For older kids and adults one can double the standard over the counter dose. Having benadryl work is much preferable to using the epipen and heading directly to the hospital. I would use liquid benadryl for a two year old. Are you working with your pediatrician or allergist?

• Like 1

I am working with an allergist. She told me a teaspoon of children's benadryl for his weight. I found the Walgreens "children's benadryl" that is in 1 teaspoon blister packs in liquid form. I also double checked with the pharmacist when I was there. http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgreens-children's-wal-dryl-allergy-medicine-single-dose-sugar-free-cherry/ID=prod6217429-product

I plan on actually talking to the pharmacist when I pick it up tomorrow. I have never been around a child that needed this (I was a nanny for 6 years before I got married) so it is a whole new world for me. My husband will also be reading the information that comes with it as he is a Biochemist, so he will know if we need to treat it like insulin (his mother is insulin dependent). 

I do sew, so the more that I am looking around, the more I am thinking I will make him something and purchase the cool thing that will go inside it. 

My dd became allergic to nuts in college. It's a work in progress. I found as a school nurse families figured things out that worked well for them. You'll do fine! It's a little crazy and a little scary.  Good luck!

Also there are cute small insulated lunch bags that would work.

Hugs! My 12 .5 year old son has been severe dairy allergy his whole life and we have been carrying epi everywhere since he got his first one at 9 months old.

For us, we carry a black insulated "medicine" bag everywhere we go. It is actually a small diaper bag we purchased years ago from Lands End. He also has asthma so this bag contains all his meds. In hot summer weather we put a frozen cooler block in the outside pouch (not directly against meds). We also use a red pouch that has a silver lining for episode pen protection in extreme weather. ..I learned about here on the boards when I was beginning to prepare for my son to participate in the Boy Scout Klondike event in freezing temperatures. Maybe someone else will chime in with a link...you can also search the board.

A tremendous resource is the kids with food allergies website, Facebook page, and forum.

Never, never leave his episode pens in a hot or freezing car for hours. They need to be thrown away if you do.

-Rebecca

We use those blister packs, too.  I found putting one inside a lipstick case such as this http://www.wellpromo.com/Wholesale/Cases/Lipstick-Case-158691.htm works well for protecting the blister pack from being punctured when in my purse.  I have two, and one fits better than the other, so you might have to try a few on for size before you purchase. :)  Mine is actually a bright pink beaded one so I can find it in my "Mary Poppins bag" with ease.

One of my friends has a now 6th grader with severe allergies, and she has been making her DD little fanny packs that carry her epipen/benedryl for years. When her DD was really young, she'd wear it or give it to the adult in charge (when I first met her, her 4 yr old was in dance with mine, and she'd hand it to the dance teacher even for a 1 hour preschool combo class). Once her DD was a little older, her DD would simply wear it and keep it with her (with medical documentation-the child's allergies were severe enough that her doctor explicitly wrote up that the epipen needed to be with the child at all times-so the school was HAPPY to let the kid take over carrying it after a couple of years of them having to keep up with it!).

I'm glad the little single serve liquid benedryls are now available again. They weren't for awhile, and I started carrying a little tiny mouthwash bottle full of the stuff in my purse (I have LTFA with an airborne component as well), but it was SO much easier to just pop open a little blister so it could start right away.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/157112954/franny-pdf-fanny-pack-pattern-easy?ref=shop_home_active_7

I thought about making this bag but leave out the credit card slots and put in a clear vinyl window listing health information for my son. I would also use insulating material sandwiched between the outer and the lining. Might do a cow with a red circle with a line through it to mean "no dairy" on the outside. What do you think?

• Like 1

We live in an area where multiple days over 100 are not uncommon in the summer. When we go out I do put DS' epipen holder in either an insulated cooler, though not next to any cool packs, or in the diaper bag. (I have one still in nappies.) I believe there are specially made bags to keep epinephrine within its desired temperature range.

Ds attended CAP encampment this summer. We had him keep his epipen in his camelback in a pouch next to the water bladder. That seemed to work very well - if that type of set up gives you any ideas. Just being aware of temperatures and extremes will help keep the epipen safe.

Be aware if you sew/draw a cow with a line through it to indicate "no dairy" many people will not understand what, exactly, constitutes dairy. The best thing to do is to teach ds that he is not allowed to eat anything (!) without clearing it with you or your dh first. People aren't intentionally trying to be malicious; they just don't understand that no dairy means no dairy at all, not even the teensiest little amount in that yummy cookie, cake, pie, etc.

• Like 2

Ours come with a trainer too. I don't leave DD with anyone unless they're comfortable using the EpiPen if need be. The trainer is good for showing people how to use it.

If you take your LO somewhere often, you might consider a second set of EpiPens so you don't have to remember to move them back and forth. We only have one two pack, but I know there are people who have a set at home and a set at school or Grandma's.

EpiPens expire after 16 months or so, so we get a new prescription for them every year, even if we don't use them.

If you attend a lot of events where people might be likely to try to feed your LO, you might consider a shirt or vest that says something to the effect of "STOP! Don't feed me without checking with my parent first." And possibly a medic alert bracelet.

(((HUGS))) -- I know it's a little overwhelming at first.

• Like 2

If you intend to send your child to school at any point, find out carefully what the regulations are for students to have their epipen in the classroom. In some areas, all medicine - including epipens - is expected to be kept in the office or at the nurse, which has lead to deaths. The latter can be especially devastating when the nurse is not assigned to the school five days a week! Those regulations, if they cannot be ignored, would more than be enough for me to homeschool even if I were utterly incompetent at this teaching gig. I know not everybody here homeschools, or intends to do so until college, but with allergies that serious, I wouldn't play around, especially as they won't even pretend to take milk out of the schools like they sometimes remove peanuts.

If you intend to send your child to school at any point, find out carefully what the regulations are for students to have their epipen in the classroom. In some areas, all medicine - including epipens - is expected to be kept in the office or at the nurse, which has lead to deaths. The latter can be especially devastating when the nurse is not assigned to the school five days a week! Those regulations, if they cannot be ignored, would more than be enough for me to homeschool even if I were utterly incompetent at this teaching gig. I know not everybody here homeschools, or intends to do so until college, but with allergies that serious, I wouldn't play around, especially as they won't even pretend to take milk out of the schools like they sometimes remove peanuts.

I married my hubby because he said he was on board with homeschooling. It was a requirement for me.

Having said that, if hubby got a job in Germany tomorrow, we would gladly go and deal with our children in public school. I just hope the Germans would be okay with his allergy more then Americans are!

Hubby said last night that we MUST homeschool baby now. We had planned on it, but this reinforced it.

• Like 2

I keep my inhaler, benadryl, and epi pen in a zippered mesh bag in my purse so that I can yank the whole thing out in a hurry (or put it in another bag without rummaging). The mesh lets me see at a glance if I forgot to return something to its proper place. It inevitably falls to the bottom of a bag otherwise, and that's really annoying.

Good luck! You've gotten great advice.

• Like 1

I carry auvi-q injectors in a little pouch in my purse. I also keep the chewable benadryl in there . One childrens chewable benadryl is the same as one liquid teaspoon but easier to carry. I wouldn't worry about temperatures unless you are in a lot of extremes. If people are ok with the temp, epipens should generally be ok. Just like you wouldn't shut a person in a car on a hot day, you can't leave an epi-pen. You'll get use to taking them everywhere with you, it isn't a big deal after a while. 

My biggest advice is to teach your child all about his allergies. Put him in control at a very early age. Not that there won't be mistakes or slip-ups or temptations, but the likelihood goes down if they are in control and have an understanding of their bodies. Mine can name all their allergies and reactions (and there are dozens). But we rarely, if ever, have a reaction when they are away from me. 

Good luck to you! The allergy road kinda sucks, but it's very manageable. 

Keeping bottles of liquid benadryl in each vehicle is a big help. Rotate it out every year or two as it does expire. (Liquid is easier to chug straight from the bottle in an emergency, and it acts somewhat topically for food allergens, and it is faster than tablets/capsules.)

Usually they dispense 2 epi-pens, so I keep one in the medicine cupboard at home and the other in my purse. For a kid, I am not sure how you make sure the epi-pen goes with him. I'd be tempted to have a dedicated small bag/pack that is just for his allergy medicines (benadryl and epi-pen) and make sure he learns to always take it wherever he goes (assuming he leaves your side). I'm sure others with kids with allergies will have better advice, as I am the only one with a life threatening allergy in our family. 

The doctor told me she was ordering the Auvi-q but ordered the normal one. The pharmacy ordered the correct one last night and is calling the doctor for me to get it straightened out today. I am going to Walgreens so they are going above and beyond!

I was shocked when it said the co pay for the normal one was $50! I am assuming that the talking one will be more, but the doctor gave me a coupon for $0 co pay till the end of the year. I don't care really about the cost, I will pay whatever I need to to keep my baby alive, I am just shocked that something relatively common, and not new (the traditional epipen) is not basically on the "free" or very low cost level with insurance.

Epi pens are very expensive. Medical Flex spending accounts can help for this if you have one or can get one. Just wanted to also encourage as other people have said: to teach your child not to eat any food from anyone unless you say it is okay. Also, we always carry two epi pens (sometimes 4) because our sons allergy makes it highly likely he would need that second dose 15/20 minutes later and it provides more time for emergency personnel. Something to think about/consider for your own circumstances.

• Like 1

Finally got it. I also had my older son use the trainer in the unlikely event we were not near him and he needs this (maybe at church or something). I taught him he first sees his brother not able to breath and possibly turning blue in the lips (I said purple). Then he yells "help! Help!" Then uses the epipen in his outer thigh.

My older son knows what my baby is allergic to. At 2, I don't know how to teach him other then that.

Will go to the fabric store and get fabric to make the case for this today. Need to get through nap time first though.