Menu

Seattle people, talk to me about COL and best cities to live

No More Perfect

If you had to narrow it down to, say, areas around either Seattle or Tacoma, and up to 20 miles in any direction out from either of those cities, which towns are best for families? Safety and easy access to the big cities for field trips and such are my main concerns. We like outdoorsy types of activities - biking, hiking, walking, etc - but I also appreciate having Walmart or Target nearby. Are there any areas that have maybe an acre or two with a house? Or is it like North Texas, where homes are literally feet away from each other, with postage-sized backyards? I love pines so I'd love to have room for those.

What would I expect for COL? Texas has no state income tax but property taxes are pricey. I've had people disagree with me, but I think prices for homes here are pretty amazing. I've looked up prices in Washington and I'd definitely have to downsize from the 4200 sf home I have now. ;-)

Dh was recently up there and he was telling me how much gas cost up there and I couldn't believe it. I image that rolls over into making groceries more expensive. What else haven't I thought of as far as cost?

Now, back to school planning for the year. . . 

Around Tacoma, I would look at University Place, Gig Harbor, and Puyallup. If you want to live in Tacoma proper, the North End and Browns Point areas are considered the nicer places to live. Anywhere in the Puget Sound area will have access to lots of outdoorsy activities. Grocery prices vary widely between stores. There are some local and regional chains that run cheaper than some of the more well-known chains. There is no state income tax, and I think that our property taxes are reasonable, but we live in a small, inexpensive house. :) There is no sales tax on food.

• Like 3

If you had to narrow it down to, say, areas around either Seattle or Tacoma, and up to 20 miles in any direction out from either of those cities, which towns are best for families? Safety and easy access to the big cities for field trips and such are my main concerns. We like outdoorsy types of activities - biking, hiking, walking, etc - but I also appreciate having Walmart or Target nearby. Are there any areas that have maybe an acre or two with a house? Or is it like North Texas, where homes are literally feet away from each other, with postage-sized backyards? I love pines so I'd love to have room for those.

What would I expect for COL? Texas has no state income tax but property taxes are pricey. I've had people disagree with me, but I think prices for homes here are pretty amazing. I've looked up prices in Washington and I'd definitely have to downsize from the 4200 sf home I have now. ;-)

Dh was recently up there and he was telling me how much gas cost up there and I couldn't believe it. I image that rolls over into making groceries more expensive. What else haven't I thought of as far as cost?

we moved from WA (Bellevue-area. Seattle-greater metropolitan area) to Austin, TX 7 years ago.  The tax system in both states is pretty comparable. Neither state has an income tax. Sales tax slightly higher in Seattle.  Definitely a better bus system in the Seattle area. (And got better even on the Bellevue side over the 14 years I lived there). But the traffic in the Seattle corridor is pretty bad because of that big lake in the middle (And other water areas) eliminating a lot of the alternate route possibilities.

Groceries are more expensive in WA. I remember coming to TX and being quite surprised that the grocery store that we considered "inexpensive" in WA (Safeway's) is one of the more expensive grocery stores here (Randall's)

For acreage, you'll need to look a little ways out. North Bend, etc. Or look down south (Kent? marble falls?) Land is at a premium in the area due to all that water as well.

• Like 1

Well COL is high here.

Food: groceries are more expensive but when we vacation (I almost always hit the grocery stores and cook in a kitchenette or while camping) I haven't noticed that most of the places we visited are much less for most things. Except for Florida. Food seemed cheaper in Florida to me.

Gas: It's around $3 a gallon.

Energy: we have inexpensive electricity rates compared to a lot of places. We are on a publically owned hydro system. Natural gas is about average. Oil is not as common for heating here so it's expensive but I think it is expensive most places. There's only one oR two companies that fill it.

Housing: rents are on a major upswing. It's a sellers market for houses. There aren't that many places in King County where you can get a family size non-fixer for much under $350k and many places modestly sized homes are $500k and well up from there. Acre sized lots are hard to come buy unless you have a huge budget in King County or are going as far out as say, Enumclaw. Or you are ok with an older, handyman's special. New construction on acreage is hard to find and very expensive. It's really hard to recommend places without a vague sense of your budget and what you consider a nice place to live.

One thing to consider is maybe across the water from Seattle. Bainbridge, Poulsbo are nice.

The more affordable places to buy are around Tacoma, Puyallup, Monroe, Mountlale Terrace, Lynnwood, Burien and the rest of south King county, a very limited number of Seattle neighborhoods, Carnation, Duvall, Fall City, North Bend, Maple Valley. Many of these places are quite nice and all are livable.

Nice places to live that are more expensive: The nicer Tacoma neighborhoods, Gig Harbor, Mill Creek, Brier, Edmonds, Woodinville, Shoreline, Sammamish, many popular Seattle neighborhoods, Redmond, Kirkland, Issaquah, Bothell, Kenmore, Bellevue, Mercer Island.

Transportation is an issue. A serious, serious issue. Unless your employment is home based, you can't buy without regards to the commute, unless the wage earner really wants to be in traffic for a sizable chunk of the day.

• Like 1

It's really hard to recommend places without a vague sense of your budget and what you consider a nice place to live.

Transportation is an issue. A serious, serious issue. Unless your employment is home based, you can't buy without regards to the commute, unless the wage earner really wants to be in traffic for a sizable chunk of the day.

I'd prefer to keep it under $500k. As far as what I consider a nice place to live, I'm not totally sure what I mean by that, so I'll need to figure that out and get back to you on that. lol

Ah, yes, transportation. My husband did say he was in traffic A LOT when he was driving from one site to another. This is a good thing to keep in mind. . . 

This, this, a thousand times this!

Point A to Point B (which is a typical route for many people) = 30 minutes on a weekend morning or afternoon.

Same commute on a weekday is an hour minimum.

Find out where your job site is located, then look at nearby neighborhoods and check the commute from other areas.

I should mention that my husband, who would do the commuting, would more than likely be traveling from site to site - hospitals - in both Seattle and Tacoma and it's surrounding areas. He may even possibly be working from home, but again, it will require going all over those two main cities and their surroundings.

I'd consider a different state if you have a choice. High COL can make other, good parts of life harder to enjoy. Consider, too, whether the local policies are ones you can stand. We had to eliminate Washington, even parts of the state we adore like Port Townsend, from our list of places to move because of taxes and policies. The price was doable, it's comparable to where we live now in all but a few neighborhoods. But the local and state regs were deal breakers for us.

I should mention that my husband, who would do the commuting, would more than likely be traveling from site to site - hospitals - in both Seattle and Tacoma and it's surrounding areas. He may even possibly be working from home, but again, it will require going all over those two main cities and their surroundings.

Some of the hospitals are connected by special hospital run shuttles.

With no fixed work location, that opens up your options a bit but you might prefer to be somewhat central in the area, so perhaps south of Seattle and north of Tacoma. Almost all of our major medical centers (excepting Overlake and Evergreen on the eastside) are located along the I-5 corridor from Tacoma to Everett. I'd consider easy access to I-5 and somewhere where you can get on 405 (which will get you to those Eastside hospitals) pretty important. That screams So. King County to me.

• Like 1

I'd consider a different state if you have a choice. High COL can make other, good parts of life harder to enjoy. Consider, too, whether the local policies are ones you can stand. We had to eliminate Washington, even parts of the state we adore like Port Townsend, from our list of places to move because of taxes and policies. The price was doable, it's comparable to where we live now in all but a few neighborhoods. But the local and state regs were deal breakers for us.

We have strict criteria for where we want to live and WA is really the only place that meets it at this point. Plus, he has family there, including a grandmother he adores. I'm curious what local and state regulations you found were problems, though.

• Like 2

Gig Harbor is nice (DD1 goes to chorus there on Saturdays), but the toll across the Tacoma Narrows Bridge would be something to take into account. Bainbridge Island is nice but anywhere on the west side of the Sound and you have the ferry ride to consider.

We moved here from the southeast about 10 years ago and love it. 

I second Lucy Stoner on the area between Seattle and Tacoma.  Puyallup?  Sultan? are inexpensive.  I would NEVER EVER live south of Tacoma in your situation, because getting through Tacoma is a nightmare (daymare, noonmare, rush-hourmarex2, eveningmare).  Federal Way might be an option to look into.  

Also, while the 520 is the only tolled road at this time, the long-term plan is that all the major roads, and I-90 (the other bridge across the lake) will be tolled in the coming 20 years.  Obviously, some sooner than later, and in different ways (tolls for non-carpools to use the carpool lane, for example).  It's already getting installed on I-405 and is in the testing phase.  

I don't remember the names of any of the sites, but you can Google around and find out the COL indices for major cities/regions of the country.  I know that friends of ours moved out of a middle-class house they had owned for 10 years and bought with the CASH from their equity gain a much larger house with acreage when they moved to Texas.  So he got a raise with the job and a raise because of no house payment.  THAT made for a no-brainer decision to go to Texas.  :0)  

If you live in a place where this knowledge is helpful, you can take the Narrows bridge westbound and avoid the toll (you're only tolled eastbound) and one of the ferries back into Seattle (you only pay for the vehicle, not the passengers, going that way). That's part of our summer routine when we're on vacation and we save $45 or so per trip going clockwise like this, between Seattle and Tacoma, rather than counterclockwise. 

Gig Harbor is a beautiful place and there are other smaller communities around there too.  I was going to suggest the Buckley/Enumclaw area but it's probably too far outside your desired proximity to Tacoma or Seattle (Buckley is about 30 minutes east of Tacoma on a low-traffic day; definitely more on a high-traffic day). I grew up out there and it's absolutely lovely with a lot to do outdoors wise (both are at the base of entrances into Mount Rainier National Park). Housing is a tad lower out there, too. 

When are you hoping to move? My in-laws have a house that they are looking to sell in a couple of years in the area south of Seattle. LOL

I don't have much to add. My mother was born into a house in Seattle (1958) and that house has seen it all over the years. It reminded me of that house in that book... can't remember the name of it but it is a picture book. It sat on a hill and was surrounded by acreage. At one point after my grandparents sold it the front land was sold and developed (probably in the late 60's) then in the 80's someone sold the land in the back of the house for development. It is still on a hill but it is a hill of it's own. It has seen bad neighborhoods and good neighborhoods. God knows what that house would be worth now. 

Good luck to you! I wouldn't live out there again, but it takes all kinds to make the world go round! :)

I'd prefer to keep it under $500k. As far as what I consider a nice place to live, I'm not totally sure what I mean by that, so I'll need to figure that out and get back to you on that. lol

Ah, yes, transportation. My husband did say he was in traffic A LOT when he was driving from one site to another. This is a good thing to keep in mind. . .

You will have a hard time finding anything in Seattle area for $500k. Definitly not with land. Going south towards Tacoma would be easier, but again, you won't have lots of land.

We've looked at moving to Texas many times. We can get a comparable house with an acre + of land ( vs our small lot here) for about 1/3 of the price. We live East of Seattle.

• Like 1

We have strict criteria for where we want to live and WA is really the only place that meets it at this point. Plus, he has family there, including a grandmother he adores. I'm curious what local and state regulations you found were problems, though.

Plus, if his income is hospital based, WA is the place to be in this region. More hospitals, bigger budgets. Patients from AK and ID and MT are dependent on WA for a certain level of care. Lots of employers. Income potential for hospital related work (besides nursing) is above average here and in some cases by a lot.

• Like 1

Can't reply fully right now, but I do find it funny how many people are trying to get to Texas and I'm trying desperately to get out of it! lol

Oh heck no. I was born in Texas and there is no way I am going back (except to visit).

One thing to remember is that COL is heavily correlated to the desirability of a place based on employment, quality of life and other factors. There's a lot of very good reasons that so many find this place desirable. We've talked of leaving due to affordability factors but in the end we'd rather live in less house than live with less Puget Sound. Definitely there are families leaving though and I get it. It's not easy for a regular middle class family to buy a home here anymore. If we had fewer ties to the community, leaving would be more attractive.

• Like 11

Plus, if his income is hospital based, WA is the place to be in this region. More hospitals, bigger budgets. Patients from AK and ID and MT are dependent on WA for a certain level of care. Lots of employers. Income potential for hospital related work (besides nursing) is above average here and in some cases by a lot.

And don't forget the Canadians who come to Seattle (Bellingham, actually) for medical care they can't wait to get in Canada.  

Bellingham has one of the best cardiac surgery hospitals in the country because of the Canadian cash that comes into the system.  

:0)

I loved living in Seattle a few years ago. I definitely wouldn't have liked it if we'd been stuck in traffic a lot, but we rented a small apartment where we could walk to everything we needed and it worked wonderfully for us. If I had wanted a house with some space around it, I don't think it would have worked for me because of the commute. Seattle is a great place to try a different lifestyle.

• Like 1

I don't find COL living to be all that high. Gas is $3, which is higher than most places right now (or so i've been told). 

I feel like WA is a nickel and dime state though. A tax here, fee there. Those can add up. I don't necessarily feel like we get it back in services either. 

One thing I wish I would have known before I moved here, was just how conservative some towns are. I was expecting a more Seattle liberal vibe infiltrating through most of the state, and I have not found that to be true. I've also found it difficult to meet secular homeschoolers.

Outdoors activities are plentiful. Lots of hiking, biking, beachcombing, almost no matter where you end up. I really adore University Place. I find myself in that city more than I really need to be. If you have the income, there are certain area of Tacoma I like. Though in general I wouldn't live there. 

This post seems a little negative, sorry! Washington is really a fantastic, beautiful place. Overall it's good people and good times. :) 

• Like 1

One thing I wish I would have known before I moved here, was just how conservative some towns are. I was expecting a more Seattle liberal vibe infiltrating through most of the state, and I have not found that to be true. I've also found it difficult to meet secular homeschoolers.

Where are those towns? I've lived in the Seattle area for almost 35 years and I've never found an area in Western Wa that I would consider conservative. That is one of the big reasons we want to leave. I'll admit we aren't as liberal, as say California or NYC, but I wouldn't say we are anywhere near conservative.

• Like 3

first off - does  your dh have a job lined up?  does he know the area he'd be working?

commutes are measured in TIME, *not* distance.  It can often be faster to go n-s, and slower to go e-w. (*especially* in seattle proper!.)

we don't have an income tax, but sales tax is approaching 10%.  unprocessed food is not taxed. 

the 520 bridge between the eastside and seattle,  and the hwy 16 bridge across Puget sound between gig harbor and Tacoma have a variable toll based upon time of day.

historically, our electricity rates have been better than average due to the grand coulee dam. 

outdoor activities are available almost anywhere - just depends upon what you want to do.  lakes, Puget sound with salt water beaches, hiking in the mts is only about 45 minutes away  waterfalls, mt. rainier. pt defiance in Tacoma has a zoo, as well as seattle.  Lynnwood has a great city pool. seattle will have the best performing arts - but issaquah has a well regarded playhouse. there are also other performing arts around the area. 

target is popular here (Wal-Mart is also here.) -  Costco is everywhere (it was founded here). It is also one of the cheapest places to buy gas - and the gas station is open for the morning commute, and closes after late.

depending upon your budget - and how long your dh is willing to drive for a commute, it is possible to find an acre or two. plan on a fixer upper house.  older construction within the cities have bigger lots. (1/3 - 1 acre.)   what do you plan on doing with the land?  cities have limits on animals, based upon acreage.  each city is different - and then there are the counties which have jurisdiction outside city boundaries.

if you want land - you want to beware of flood plain issues, usually river flooding during winter storms.  a few years back, the three counties instituted an urban growth boundary - and within it has driven housing prices higher.  land outside the zone, has more restrictions on what you can do.

buying close in costs more up front - but your commute will be cheaper (think gas, insurance, wear and tear on a car), and you will have more family time.  buying further out is cheaper - but you will spend more commuting.

• Like 1

Where are those towns? I've lived in the Seattle area for almost 35 years and I've never found an area in Western Wa that I would consider conservative. That is one of the big reasons we want to leave. I'll admit we aren't as liberal, as say California or NYC, but I wouldn't say we are anywhere near conservative.

Mostly west of the Narrows bridge. Gig Harbor up to Poulsbo (but not Poulsbo itself). 

It's not exactly the Bible belt or anything, but it was more than I was expecting. 

• Like 1

if he will mostly be going between seattle and Tacoma, there are some nicer areas.  i.e. brown's point/Tacoma has been mentioned. burien towards the water, bonny lake/covington - you might be able to find land.

renton HIGHLANDs 

the airport is at sea-tac - between seattle and Tacoma, so consider that noise.  it's a very busy airport.  (but very functional. and good at moving people.)

• Like 1

if he will mostly be going between seattle and Tacoma, there are some nicer areas. i.e. brown's point/Tacoma has been mentioned. burien towards the water, bonny lake/covington - you might be able to find land.

renton HIGHLANDs

the airport is at sea-tac - between seattle and Tacoma, so consider that noise. it's a very busy airport. (but very functional. and good at moving people.)

My brother and his husband live somewhat close to the airport in a nice, older subdivision. They were concerned about noise but the Port paid for all new windows for their house and it doesn't really bother them. These are nice windows, designed to filter out the noise. And a lot nicer than they could have afforded to put in themselves. So something to look into if you buy close to the airport.

• Like 1

Mostly west of the Narrows bridge. Gig Harbor up to Poulsbo (but not Poulsbo itself).

It's not exactly the Bible belt or anything, but it was more than I was expecting.

The peninsula is a whole 'nother kettle of fish. Definitely a lot more conservative, unless you are in some of the more artsy towns out by the coast.

We lived there for a time when I was a child and found it very untenable for a mixed race family at the time. I assume it is a lot better than that now, but I know others who have had trouble. Not that that is a function of how liberal or conservative a place is (certainly liberal Seattle has issues with racism) but it was why after that, when in WA, my family stuck to the Seattle area.

As far as homeschooling and religion, we are just north of the city and I find that if I go south, it's very secular and if I go north the homeschoolers, with the exception of some who live in some progressive intentional communities, trend more religious. If I stay where I am or go just east, it's a mixed bag. Mostly all are welcomed. I have homeschooling friends who are very religious but I am not and that's ok.

• Like 2

Seattle has long been recognized as on of the least-"churched" cities in the US. 25 years ago, it was 17%, when the national average was 44%. Both are much lower now. Whether that has translated into secular homeschool groups, I don't know. But if not, it's not due to lack of population.

Seattle has long been recognized as on of the least-"churched" cities in the US. 25 years ago, it was 17%, when the national average was 44%. Both are much lower now. Whether that has translated into secular homeschool groups, I don't know. But if not, it's not due to lack of population.

There are a lot of secular homeschool resources in Seattle and the adjacent areas. Classes, groups, enrichment, support, co-ops. One could easily be triple booked everyday of the week with non-religious homeschool activities. There are also lots of religious resources for homeschoolers. The further you go from the city, the fewer secular options there are.

• Like 1

There is a lot of great info in the answers I have received. My husband isn't a consultant, and it is really hard to describe what he does, but it does a bit of traveling for him or his team to the hospitals he supports.

I'm not really concerned so much about the religious and/or secular aspect of it. Truth be told, we live in the Bible belt and, though we are Christians, cannot find a church home in the city we have lived in for five years. But that is a whole other can of worms. ;-)

Oh heck no. I was born in Texas and there is no way I am going back (except to visit).

One thing to remember is that COL is heavily correlated to the desirability of a place based on employment, quality of life and other factors. There's a lot of very good reasons that so many find this place desirable. We've talked of leaving due to affordability factors but in the end we'd rather live in less house than live with less Puget Sound. Definitely there are families leaving though and I get it. It's not easy for a regular middle class family to buy a home here anymore. If we had fewer ties to the community, leaving would be more attractive.

Yep. Texas. I've been here for 15 years. I've given this place a chance and if I am ever able to leave, you really and truthfully couldn't pay me enough to come back here.

I know I asked about homes with land, but truly, as you said, I would rather have less house, very little land, if it meant that we could enjoy the great outdoors and not just bike on sidewalks in endless subdivisions. I talked to a woman who lives near Seattle last week and though she visits Dallas often, she said there is no way in heck she'd move there if only because there are very few outdoor type activities. We've tried them all and own a camper but no, this is not the lifestyle we want for us or our family. We need to be outdoors doing something and I need GREEN and forests and water. Seattle and Tacoma fits the bill and I am more than willing to trade in my huge house and lower gas prices.

• Like 4

It sounds like he would be expected to travel to a number of different hospitals in the Seattle and Tacoma areas, with some working at home.

I see that now.....I obviously didn't read the entire thread.

Is there one area he would be in more than the other?  If not, I would go for something in between.  Auburn, Kent, Burien, there are some spotty areas there, but there are also good areas.

• Like 1

I see that now.....I obviously didn't read the entire thread.

Is there one area he would be in more than the other?  If not, I would go for something in between.  Auburn, Kent, Burien, there are some spotty areas there, but there are also good areas.

It seems that it would be more Tacoma area, but, and another thing I didn't mention because I am typing as I am thinking, he will need decent access to the airport, as will I.

Conservative in WA reminded me very much of liberal in Texas when I was growing up. There were pockets of really conservative. But WA was not flaming liberal either.  Libertarian would be more like it -- so conservative in some places and liberal in others.

• Like 1

It seems that it would be more Tacoma area, but, and another thing I didn't mention because I am typing as I am thinking, he will need decent access to the airport, as will I.

South King County gives you decent access to Tacoma, super easy access to the airport and options for heading north as wanted/needed.

The nicer neighborhoods there tend to hug the water- parts of Burien and Des Moines near the sound and parts of Renton (like Kennydale) near Lake WA. I have friends where he works in downtown Seattle and she works almost in Tacoma and they just bought in Burien and have been pleased. They were looking in the 300k range and did ok. There are more options in the 400-500K range with a bit nicer homes. My brother and his husband live in a So. King Couuty subdivision and they can be at a nice park on the water on a long walk or a short drive. The thing there is to make sure you are well off of Pacific Hwy/99. The places just off of 99 are quite rundown and crime and drugs are a problem. My brother is a ways off of 99 and his subdivision starts on a smaller street and it's fine. It's older homes but they have built a lot of equity fixing it up and you can find some that have already been fixed up. They don't have acreage but they do have a yard big enough for a garden, swing set and huge new outdoor living space with hammocks and a fire pit. My nieces are enjoying a fairly idyllic classic American childhood there - decent school, a neighborhood with sidewalks they are safe to bike in, soccer league all fall and spring, track, Girl Scouts, tent camper in the drive way for frequent summer camping trips all over WA state and into Idaho and Oregon. There's nice community centers and a Y and a great library system. South King Co. gets a bad rap with some but there are more livable areas than not.

The other nice thing is that the light rail is already operating from So. King to downtown Seattle. When my brother wants to take his girls to something fun in town (baseball games, soccer games, symphony, Seattle Center, lunch with his husband during the summer) he can drive a short distance and then hop on a fairly quick train. We won't have light rail north of the city for another 8 years. If we are lucky.

Groceries are more expensive in WA. I remember coming to TX and being quite surprised that the grocery store that we considered "inexpensive" in WA (Safeway's) is one of the more expensive grocery stores here (Randall's)

Hmm..I'm in WA, and I consider Safeway one of the more expensive grocery stores. :) I'm in Pierce co though. Closer to Seattle it's one of the cheaper stores, compared to QFC, PCC, etc. 

Healthcare is expensive here. Hopefully, since your husband works in healthcare, you have good insurance!

Land is fairly inexpensive in some of the farther-out areas of Pierce county. You just have to weigh the commute-cheap land balance. 

Also, because I'm paranoid, I wouldn't want to live in a Mt. Rainier lahar evacuation area. But that's just me. :)

There are so many cool things to do in WA. We camped near Mount St. Helens last weekend and spent a day up at the observation center at Johnston ridge. My 7 y/o was right in his element. He insisted that we stop at every visitor center/observation point between I-5 and the end of 504. :) 

• Like 1

Hmm..I'm in WA, and I consider Safeway one of the more expensive grocery stores. :) I'm in Pierce co though. Closer to Seattle it's one of the cheaper stores, compared to QFC, PCC, etc.

I was in King County (Bellevue and Newcastle). Closest other choice was QFC. Occasionally got to an Albertson's -- which sometimes was cheaper, but not enough to be worth the trip. And Fred Meyer.

My only tip is that WinCo is awesome and cheap. I don't have one in my town, but stop in WinCo when I'm in WA.

We got a WinCo here in my north Texas town about a year or so ago. I've never been since it is on the other side of town.

Oh, and your username makes me want to ask, where do you live? If you don't feel comfortable sharing, but I'd love to know where all the outdoorsy types live!

I live on the Eastside and we have plenty of outdoorsy things within 5 min of us. Hiking, biking, plenty of bike paths/walking trails, water etc. But if I needed easy access to Tacoma I'd live south of Seattle. Puyallup, Bonney Lake, Burien. The entire Puget Sound area has lots of opportunities for outdoor activities. 

• Like 1