Menu

Do you think we will be here in the AM?

Jenny. I'm sorry. I don't get it.

Does this have anything to do with tea?

ETA: I looked up higgs boson and now I super don't get it: : a hypothetical elementary particle that has zero spin and large mass and that is required by some gauge theories to account for the masses of other elementary particles.]

Are you talking about the possible "black hole in the center of the earth" creating experiment today? Did you see their funny video? It's in this article. It's pretty funny!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1053091/Meet-Evans-Atom-end-world-Wednesday.html

Hey, the end of the world won't happen until a few years from now, so relax!! ;)

Guest Virginia Dawn
Hey, the end of the world won't happen until a few years from now, so relax!! ;)

I assume you are thinking the Mayans got it right.

I almost posted about that today. I think it would be much better to be vaporized in an instant with a big bang than to undergo some of the other possible scenarios.

What I wonder is...how do the odds of this going badly compare to the odds they give to the "real" Big Bang happening the way it did and why in the heck are they willing to chance it?? lol

I dunno. I just keep thinking of how many people could be fed and other cool stuff with the 8 billion freaking dollars that machine cost.

What I wonder is...how do the odds of this going badly compare to the odds they give to the "real" Big Bang happening the way it did and why in the heck are they willing to chance it?? lol

I dunno. I just keep thinking of how many people could be fed and other cool stuff with the 8 billion freaking dollars that machine cost.

$8.9 billion US....LOL

I've been watching the progression over the last year. It's fascinating to think they're actually trying to recreate the Big Bang. I was excited before I went to sleep last night. Kids and I have talked about it. DD (10) saw headlines "Earth's demise" and read article to sibs while I was out of room. DS told his friend we only have a 20% chance of living tomorrow. WHAT?! Had to call the mom and tell her what my little guy said to her little guy. Oy vey.

Good to know we're still here this morning. Looks like yet another day of eating humble pie.;)

What about everyone that has already started buying Christmas gifts? Should they give them out in the next month?

This reminds me of a something from a James Bond movie. If the world does end in the next month, we will all miss the premiere of the new James Bond movie. I was looking forward to that. :glare:

As far as cool stuff goes, I think this is right up there with the coolest.

As far as the cost ... that's a good point. Should we put a hold on scientific advancement if it's costly, until poverty is ended?

I read the CNN article on this experiment this morning. They refer to it as "exploratory science" which I wonder if that is an oxymoron (think Koch's postulates when defining science). Also, according to the article, they are trying to replicate a millionth of a second after the Big Bang. How can you replicate something that was not observed?

I'm not worried about getting sucked into a black hole, but if we do then we won't have to suffer through anymore political ads!!:lol:

Brian Greene (author of The Elegant Universe) was on with a local talk-radio host the other morning. They were discussing the LHC, string theory and whatnot. It was a fascinating conversation.

Did you know he wrote a book for the younger set? Icarus at the Edge of Time.

The starship Proxima is on a twenty-five-trillion mile journey. Icarus was born on the ship as was his father and his father’s father, but there will be two more generations before the Proxima reaches its destination. As the tale begins, the Proxima is making an emergency diversion to avoid a black hole. Icarus wants to get a closer look. Although his father explains that when something goes into a black hole it never comes out, Icarus is confident that he can journey to the black hole’s edge and still make it back. He sneaks one of the Runabout ships out of the docking station and sets off to explore the black hole on his own. The result is unexpected and startling. Icarus returns to find his world profoundly and forever transformed.

In Icarus at the Edge of Time Brian Greene has given us a fable about fathers and sons, curiosity and wisdom, and the complexity of the universe as only a physicist of his range and lucidity could. Designed by Chip Kidd--with full-color images from the Hubble Space Telescope--it is destined to be a classic for all ages.

Yes. I think we'll be here. Too much hysterical hype.

I think it's very cool, and can't wait to hear what discoveries it brings. It is not going to be up to full power for about a year, they are very slowly ramping it up to full speed. So it's not like the black holes will be devouring us any time soon.

Michelle T

CERN is a rather wondrous place where scientists are free to discover without the limiting pressure to follow comercial interests. Unlike, for example, pharmaceutical companies, where the incentive may be to find long-term treatments rather than cures. For example CERN played a major part in the development of the internet because of the unique way the project has been unquestionably funded by European countries and scientists have been given space to use their genius and imaginations. Here is a link about CERN's part in us all being able to share here at these fantastic WTM boards...

CERN may also bring us new real treatments for cancer, but the real beauty of the project is the fact that we don't know what amazing discoveries and breakthroughs will come to us over the following years. This is good old-fashioned science!

I have been reassured by a very good friend (a home-educating father too!), who is one of the engineers who built the accelerator, that we are all perfectly safe!

The BBC is having a 'Big Bang' (melodramatic title) day today and has had some excellent programmes on the radio all day. You can enjoy them all here ; science fact and a bit of fun science fiction thrown in.

I am one European who is more than happy to see money go towards progress and not war: for my children's future.

Much love to you all from the prodigal poster who has finally got her internet back!

Lorna

CERN is a rather wondrous place where scientists are free to discover without the limiting pressure to follow comercial interests. Unlike, for example, pharmaceutical companies, where the incentive may be to find long-term treatments rather than cures. For example CERN played a major part in the development of the internet because of the unique way the project has been unquestionably funded by European countries and scientists have been given space to use their genius and imaginations. Here is a link about CERN's part in us all being able to share here at these fantastic WTM boards...

CERN may also bring us new real treatments for cancer, but the real beauty of the project is the fact that we don't know what amazing discoveries and breakthroughs will come to us over the following years. This is good old-fashioned science!

I have been reassured by a very good friend (a home-educating father too!), who is one of the engineers who built the accelerator, that we are all perfectly safe!

The BBC is having a 'Big Bang' (melodramatic title) day today and has had some excellent programmes on the radio all day. You can enjoy them all here ; science fact and a bit of fun science fiction thrown in.

I am one European who is more than happy to see money go towards progress and not war: for my children's future.

Much love to you all from the prodigal poster who has finally got her internet back!

Lorna

:party:

Ya! You're back! :cheers2:

:party:

Ya! You're back! :cheers2:

Aw,:blushing: thank you Jenny and Sleepy. I have missed you all.

We are in London now, by the River Thames. My blog is due to be sadly neglected for a while yet whilst we unpack the boxes of our stuff which is finally out of storage after eighteen months. I have discovered to my horror that I collect candles and barbecue skewers (a medical condition surely!). We also have enough craft materials to enable us to stay in for the next three years and make stuff!

We have a new kitten! Finally I can enjoy Jean in Wisconsin's blog without that feeling of total longing.

Yay Jenny on all the well-deserved rep. points!

:cheers2: