Menu

We have a car for sale and these are some of the responses...

Liz CA

One person emailed back with a ton of extraneous info i.e., "I have three children, all by the same man."  ???????

Next guy: "I live in an apartment and don't know where I will park it...but I want it. I just don't know what to do."

Sunday afternoon a guy was looking at it, then went home to "sell something and organize a trailer to pick it up." We have not heard from him since.

Thank God it does not matter to us if the vehicle sells this week or next. This is turning into comedy week.

• Like 39

yeah - but I want the money I get from selling curriculum off craigslist rather than our local homeschool bookstore.  (though I may end up there.)

I'm having similar issues (I don't mean to hijack, but I'm venting . . . . )  I just got an e-mail from someone offering me $35 for the MUS manipulatives.  'cause the new set is $70 (and only has 133 blocks.  I have 169).  it also comes with a box for storage (a cardboard box.  Mine are set of two wood with dividers and acrylic lids, plus channels for holding the blocks you're using in place. MUS no longer makes them, but they were $50 for just the boxes.)  I also am under no pressure to sell.

smh.

you may now return to your scheduled program . . . .

• Like 7

One person emailed back with a ton of extraneous info i.e., "I have three children, all by the same man."  ???????.

Is the car the type a man would be attracted to?  If so, perhaps she is hoping for a different man for her fourth child if she buys the car.   :lol:   

• Like 16

My husband loves selling on Craigslist, but it really does bring out the crazy. We were selling a car for my parents and one person wanted to buy the car unseen. He or she texted us a picture of 100 dollar bills fanned out. 

People would message him and ask, "How low are you willing to go?" That is not how bargaining works. You make an offer, I make a counter offer. 

• Like 7

My DH sells a lot of music equipment on CL.  I'm always amazed at the people who go through contacting him, negotiations over price, and other arrangements...and then just....DISAPPEAR.  After several emails to them, they finally respond with "Oh, I decided not to buy it" or "Oh, I bought a different one."

:huh:  :glare:

Common courtesy is dead on CL.

• Like 4

Is the car the type a man would be attracted to?  If so, perhaps she is hoping for a different man for her fourth child if she buys the car.   :lol:   

Not really. It's a station wagon. :lol: :lol: :lol: My friend suggested she wanted to see if there was enough room to position three children far enough apart so they cannot bother each other - and that she threw in the bit about "the same man" to make sure we understand she is a moral, upstanding potential buyer...

Oh my. We may just call the wrecker.

• Like 5

One person emailed back with a ton of extraneous info i.e., "I have three children, all by the same man." ???????

Next guy: "I live in an apartment and don't know where I will park it...but I want it. I just don't know what to do."

Sunday afternoon a guy was looking at it, then went home to "sell something and organize a trailer to pick it up." We have not heard from him since.

Thank God it does not matter to us if the vehicle sells this week or next. This is turning into comedy week.

Lol! I used to get a lot of weird responses when I was doing Freecycle. The first group I was in was the oddest. I offered a medela breast pump one time and a replier said something imperious like, "it should go to me because I want it!" Good luck with that, lady. Another woman brow-beat me after I agreed to give a science kit to another lady, emailing me back that SHE had replied right away; there was NO WAY that other lady could have asked for the kit first.

• Like 3

My DH sells a lot of music equipment on CL. I'm always amazed at the people who go through contacting him, negotiations over price, and other arrangements...and then just....DISAPPEAR. After several emails to them, they finally respond with "Oh, I decided not to buy it" or "Oh, I bought a different one."

:huh: :glare:

Common courtesy is dead on CL.

This is so true! I've seen this with motorcycle equipment DH has sold on CL. He has gone through extensive discussions with someone only to have them vanish, never to be heard from again. It's odd.

• Like 1

What absolutely kills me is when I offer something for free, something fairly valuable like school uniforms for high school  or major statewide math curricula, and people get demanding. 

"I'm available on Tuesday at 4.  Where should I meet you to get this?"  No thanks, no introduction, no recognition that this is a gift or that I might have a different schedule. Honestly it's as if they are doing me a favor.

• Like 9

This is why I have went to only selling on local FB groups. That way you know who the person is, and you can keep a log of FB messages if they flake on you. I have had LOTS better luck with FB than CL. 

This is why I have went to only selling on local FB groups. That way you know who the person is, and you can keep a log of FB messages if they flake on you. I have had LOTS better luck with FB than CL.

Yes, I have found this, too.

Yes, I have found this, too.

I do admit that there was that one time....I had a phone for sale, and the first person to respond to me was a scary looking guy whose profile picture had him crossing his arms in front of him, with a gun in each hand. A look at his page showed he lived quite a savory (borerline illegal) lifestyle. I nicely pmed the next person who responded and asked if she was interested, then told the first guy that someone else had pmed me before he responded. Ended up that she knew who he was and told me that I was smart to go with my gut on that one. 

What absolutely kills me is when I offer something for free, something fairly valuable like school uniforms for high school  or major statewide math curricula, and people get demanding. 

"I'm available on Tuesday at 4.  Where should I meet you to get this?"  No thanks, no introduction, no recognition that this is a gift or that I might have a different schedule. Honestly it's as if they are doing me a favor.

I was selling a phone for $225 and at the time that iPhone was going for around $250-$275 so I thought I was offering a good deal.

A guy emailed me and said, "I will give you $100 and you deliver it to me by tomorrow night."

Um, NO.

Then I emailed back saying I would take $200 as my lowest amount and he would need to pick it up.

He then CALLED me and again demanded that I sell it for $100 and deliver it.  Turns out he lived 40 MILES away from me.

I said, "Sorry, no" and  hung up.

• Like 3

One person emailed back with a ton of extraneous info i.e., "I have three children, all by the same man."  ???????

She probably said this because she's used to being judged by people for being a single Mom in need of a good deal. I see it all the time on a buy and sell group I belong to on Facebook. ETA: it's the judging and criticism I see all the time.

• Like 1

and that she threw in the bit about "the same man" to make sure we understand she is a moral, upstanding potential buyer...

Haha!  Several years ago I was showing a rental home to a young lady with 2 small children. They were adorable kids and she was friendly and personable.  When she saw the kitchen she gushed over the cupboard knobs...."they are just like the ones at the last place I rented.  I loved them so much I took them with me!  We're good folk, real good folk.  We will love your house just like it's our own."

• Like 18

She probably said this because she's used to being judged by people for being a single Mom in need of a good deal. I see it all the time on a buy and sell group I belong to on Facebook. ETA: it's the judging and criticism I see all the time.

I've also been contacted by women trying to get a deal by using a sob story.

So who knows and unless she's asking if the car will work for three kids it's irrelevant.

• Like 1

Lol! I used to get a lot of weird responses when I was doing Freecycle. The first group I was in was the oddest. I offered a medela breast pump one time and a replier said something imperious like, "it should go to me because I want it!" Good luck with that, lady. Another woman brow-beat me after I agreed to give a science kit to another lady, emailing me back that SHE had replied right away; there was NO WAY that other lady could have asked for the kit first.

I had one of those. She insisted it go to her because "she responded first." no you didn't and you're a snot. (there was a whole lot more from her than just that.)

Eta: that was Freecycle.

I've mostly had good luck with Craigslist.

• Like 1

I have a truck for sale currently in really good shape. I priced it $2500 under book just to sell it, and used cars are pretty expensive here. I had a guy call and said he had half in cash and I could bring it to his work the next day. I told him that I wasn't selling for that little and I don't deliver.

I had another person try to get me to give them the truck. Fell on hard times, blah blah blah. If I wanted to give it away, I have plenty of opportunities in my parish to give a truck away. I'm not giving something like that to a totally random stranger.

I just put in my ad that I won't negotiate until a test drive. It's really low miles and super nice. My husband finally found his dream truck, and that's why this one is for sale.

I still get requests to bring the truck to potential buyers. Nope.

• Like 2

And this is why DH will not be putting his car on Craig's list. The office manager from his firm offered to let him park it with a for sale sign on her property that gets a lot of traffic past it. That sounds good to me.

We've mostly had good luck with Craigslist. Tried the high traffic parking lot for two months with no interest. A few days on Craigslist and someone wanted it enough to come test drive it. Asked us to hold it and we said we'd need $500 to do so, which he forked over on the spot. Returned 24 hours later with the remainder of the money in cash. By far the easiest transaction I've ever had.

I've had my share of idiots on Craigslist. Many, many people asking me "what I would take" as though my price weren't in the ad. But when someone has been serious to show up, I always either get a polite no or cash on the spot.

Freecycle, on the other hand, has been full of crazy people. Crazy people who don't even show up for the item they were acting so crazy about, in some circumstances.

I have a truck for sale currently in really good shape. I priced it $2500 under book just to sell it, and used cars are pretty expensive here. I had a guy call and said he had half in cash and I could bring it to his work the next day. I told him that I wasn't selling for that little and I don't deliver.

I had another person try to get me to give them the truck. Fell on hard times, blah blah blah. If I wanted to give it away, I have plenty of opportunities in my parish to give a truck away. I'm not giving something like that to a totally random stranger.

I just put in my ad that I won't negotiate until a test drive. It's really low miles and super nice. My husband finally found his dream truck, and that's why this one is for sale.

I still get requests to bring the truck to potential buyers. Nope.

It's people like that who made us decide many years ago to always trade in our cars instead of trying to sell them on our own. I know we lose money that way, but it's worth it to us because we don't have to deal with the crazies.

• Like 1

We bought the diesel from an individual, so there was no one to trade it with. Usually we either trade or have family we're helping out, but I'm not giving away a $11,000 truck, you know?

I have been tempted to see what those instant car buying deals will give us for it, and if it's enough to pay off the diesel let them have it.

• Like 1