Menu

Help for kids "bored with school"

YogaMomOf4

Hi!  I've been lurking on these forums for a long time, seldom posting.  I need advice -- this is my second year homeschooling my four kids, ages 5, 8, 10, and 12.  My difficulties stem from the fact that my kids, particularly the older two, have spent several years in public school where they were bored out of their wits.  They have come to associate learning with boredom (which is like a knife in the heart to me, because I love learning and feel like every day is an opportunity to learn new things).  I am having a hard time finding curriculae which are rigorous enough, yet aren't painfully similar to the "sit at your desk for several hours trodding through paperwork" experience that my kids had in public school. 

When I discuss my concerns with other homeschooling parents, especially parents whose children haven't been in public school, they tell me about how their kids love to spend time learning about such-and-such, and all about their inherent natural curiosity, and about their fascination with various subjects . . . their sense of wonder.  Try as I might, I don't seem to be able to reawaken that sense of wonder.  No matter what the subject, my kids have come to identify "learning" with "boredom." 

When I look at curriculum which is specifically supposed to be "fun" or "engaging," it seems to be very basic, and not at all as rigorous as I would like.  Is there any happy medium?  Or, if I want a rigorous education for my kids, do I just need to accept that they're going to be sitting and doing worksheets and reading texts for hours every day? 

I'm sorry if those are ignorant-sounding questions.  I am just at my wits' end trying to figure out how to give my kids a rigorous education they would actually ENJOY. 

Hi!  I've been lurking on these forums for a long time, seldom posting.  I need advice -- this is my second year homeschooling my four kids, ages 5, 8, 10, and 12.  My difficulties stem from the fact that my kids, particularly the older two, have spent several years in public school where they were bored out of their wits.  They have come to associate learning with boredom (which is like a knife in the heart to me, because I love learning and feel like every day is an opportunity to learn new things).  I am having a hard time finding curriculae which are rigorous enough, yet aren't painfully similar to the "sit at your desk for several hours trodding through paperwork" experience that my kids had in public school. 

When I discuss my concerns with other homeschooling parents, especially parents whose children haven't been in public school, they tell me about how their kids love to spend time learning about such-and-such, and all about their inherent natural curiosity, and about their fascination with various subjects . . . their sense of wonder.  Try as I might, I don't seem to be able to reawaken that sense of wonder.  No matter what the subject, my kids have come to identify "learning" with "boredom." 

When I look at curriculum which is specifically supposed to be "fun" or "engaging," it seems to be very basic, and not at all as rigorous as I would like.  Is there any happy medium?  Or, if I want a rigorous education for my kids, do I just need to accept that they're going to be sitting and doing worksheets and reading texts for hours every day? 

I'm sorry if those are ignorant-sounding questions.  I am just at my wits' end trying to figure out how to give my kids a rigorous education they would actually ENJOY. 

:grouphug:

Well, when children have been in school for any length of time, as your older two have, sometimes it takes an extended period of time of doing not much of anything for them to remember that they love to learn.  Because all children love to learn; they just don't necessarily love to learn stuff out of textbooks, in the scope and sequence decided by someone else.

You could do a modified unschool approach, which would be to require them to do math and English each day (and they may not complain.at.all), and the rest of the time they can do whatever they want (personally, I would disallow screens). In our house, weekly library and field trips were mandatory; perhaps you and your dc would enjoy regular visits to the library and an occasional field trip. Don't try to figure out which thing will do history or science or whatnot that they will enjoy, not at this point. Choose the math and English (grammar, writing) that you think are good and let the rest go.

• Like 9

Ellie's idea is good.

I wonder why more people haven't replied. I'll give a stab at it, though. As she said, don't do anything that involves books and desks. Get out there and explore for a bit and do things a little out of the box. Don't worry if it's disjointed at this point. In January, reassess. If they've started to love learning, then start researching curriculum subject by subject. Until then, do stuff that's education but fun.

In no particular order, here are some ideas:

*****Lots and lots and lots of field trips or activities outside the home. It might be helpful if you have a co-op nearby that does trips that you could join and go with them.

Here are some things we have done or plan to do in the next couple of months:

Canoeing on a lake

B&O railroad museum

Art museums

Riverboat ride

Do you have a video camera? Or an ipad with a movie making app? Have them make movies.

See the inner workings of: a public library, post office, movie theater

Alpaca farm

Pumpkin patch

Apple picking

Free event to watch a symphony practice

A session shooting arrows

A session learning how to groom horses and a chance to ride them

Aquarium

Science center

Going on the historic ships in the Baltimore harbor

Nature walks to different state parks

Grow some pretty flowers in the yard or in containers

Art classes

Karate classes

Music lessons

Visited a cloister

Visit an abandoned prison

Williamsburg/Yorktown/Jamestown

Mount Vernon/Monticello (Washington and Jefferson's Houses)

A stop along the underground railroad

Renaissance Festival

Tour a mansion

Tour a cathedral

Ok--those are the things I can remember doing. Obviously they won't all work for you as you probably don't live close to me, but start looking for ANYTHING that you can go to.

******Read aloud. A LOT. A lot, a lot, a lot. Let the kids fiddle with toys or doodle while you read. Start with story books, move into non-fiction later. Read the stuff kids are known for loving: Narnia books, Harry Potter books, Little House on the Prairie. Slowly add in some non-fiction pieces that will cover science and history.

******As Ellie said, have them do a math and grammar/writing program.

******Watch all the PBS reality shows where people from today try to live as if they lived in a different time period.

Colonial House

Texas Ranch House 1867

Frontier House 1883

Victorian Farm (BBC--on youtube)

Victorian Pharmacy (BBC--on youtube)

The 1900s House

Edwardian Farm (BBC--on youtube)

Manor House (1901-1910

Coal House 1927 (BBC)

The 1940's House

Coal House at War (1944 BBC)

(I think the non-BBC ones are on netflix.)

Check out this website for the smithsonian museum where they have free project ideas that teach about a huge assortment of things. http://www.smithsonianeducation.org/educators/lesson_plans/lesson_plans.html

******Do lots of art projects. Here is a website with free lesson plans (it's what I'm using for art this year) :

http://www.nga.gov/content/ngaweb/education/teachers/lessons-activities.html

Or get the book: "How to teach art to children" and do whatever activities look like fun in it. It's a really good book for teaching art. My kids have adored the projects in it.

• Like 10

When I discuss my concerns with other homeschooling parents, especially parents whose children haven't been in public school, they tell me about how their kids love to spend time learning about such-and-such, and all about their inherent natural curiosity, and about their fascination with various subjects . . . their sense of wonder.

My kids see school as something to get done in order to get back to what they enjoy.  I could totally unschool, but otherwise they would just rather do what they want.  I allow my children input into curricula selection, but if they find math boring- too bad.  KWIM? 

Don't base your own performance on what others present to you as their best days. Maybe the parents with kids who love learning are just more willing to talk about it. 

I will give you some examples of how I make things "better" for my bored kids:

I mix up lessons.  Oldest DS has to do a reading and research based history program and he doesn't care for it at all.  Every few days I allow him to watch a TC lecture on the same topic to mix things up.  My middle two have to work through learning the parts of speech, etc. for language arts.  We use Mad Libs from time to time or do our own silly stories to make the overall learning experience less dry.

For science, we have a core program, but we also found a caterpillar and fostered it through to butterfly stage this summer.

I let each child select their own math program and supplement it with online games and other group activities. 

• Like 4

Thank you so much, new friends! 

It helps a lot to read what you have said here.  Last year, our first year homeschooling, I did just that:  We did math and English each day and then I turned them loose, hoping they would develop their own interests.  And, to be honest, I can't claim they didn't develop ANY interests, or love of learning:  my oldest has really discovered her love of reading.  By the end of the year, I thought maybe if I did another year of just math and English like that, I would be doing them a disservice . . . that it was time to "beef things up" a little bit.  But I really do like the ideas you all have presented there (thank you so much for that wonderfully comprehensive list, Garga!!)  maybe I will still go a little light on the academics for one more year . . . hmmmmm . . . I really am not averse to making the kids study whether they like it or not, but learning is such a joy for me, I want to help my kids discover -- or rediscover -- that joy, too.

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts!

• Like 1

Garga's list is great!

First off, what do they like/do outside of school?

Secondly, agreeing with Ellie, have you eliminated screens? I highly recommend it.

Since you already did a year of almost unschooling...

Have you looked at Brave Writer? In your shoes, I would read The Writer's Jungle and maybe get some of her scheduled programs (Partnership Writing, Faltering Ownership, plus The Arrow and Boomerang for gentle language and literary discussion). You definitely want to Google, read about, and incorporate The Brave Writer Lifestyle. She has lots of info on her site about this for free.

I also love IEW's Teaching Writing: Structure and Style as teacher training that allows you to teach writing with whatever content interests your kids. It is well organized if that is what you need, but you can be flexible with what you ask of them.

I would also check out Teaching the Classics because it will empower you to discuss literature. Maybe reading Jim Trelease's The Read-Aloud Handbook would inspire you as well. Also, read up on Bloom's Taxonomy to see the different levels of engagement and types of output you can encourage.

For your younger kids, Miquon and Beast Academy are fun!

I would start reading history to them. Just read them all Story of the World, straight through, stopping for bunny trails if interest develops. And agreeing to read-aloud as much as possible.

Check out DIY.org.

I would try my best to take them out for a full day every single week. We have made a huge project out of producing a homemade field guide for every place we have lived. Artsy kids can sketch, techy kids can photograph, descriptions can be written with the help of a little research, and it can all be bound together as something to be proud of in the end.

Do you do current events? My kids are 12, 10, and 9 and this has been our very favorite thing for a while. It widens their world, brings up so many interesting topics, teaches them geography, relates to history... Current Events as a subject does it all.

We do art every single day because my kids, particularly DD, love art.

We make food for geography, current events, and history. Same for mapwork, on a big 4x6 wall map.

Hands on science is a must here too.

I could write more but our internet is out and I'm on my phone. Basically I would say to be creative and milk anything they give you. I would also encourage you to read a new pdf book that a poster here, 8FillTheHeart, recently wrote about tailoring a course to a child's interests. It is called Homeschooling at the Helm and is linked in her signature. It's similar to what I've done with my kids for years, and we've been happy as clams. Her specific description of the process might be very helpful and inspirational.

• Like 7

I love this article written by Cheryl Lowe at Memoria Press:

http://www.memoriapress.com/articles/learning-fun-part-one

I realize that many people find MP dry and heavy on workbooks. I didn't even consider it the first few years I homeschooled because it looked boring and I wanted school to be fun. However, we used Prima Latina in 3rd grade and loved it. In fourth we added a few more MP books and by fifth I was using much of the fifth grade core. I realize that MP isn't for everyone, but just reading that article and realizing that I didn't have to try to entertain was freeing for me.

• Like 1

It helps a lot to read what you have said here.  Last year, our first year homeschooling, I did just that:  We did math and English each day and then I turned them loose, hoping they would develop their own interests.  And, to be honest, I can't claim they didn't develop ANY interests, or love of learning:  my oldest has really discovered her love of reading.  By the end of the year, I thought maybe if I did another year of just math and English like that, I would be doing them a disservice . . . that it was time to "beef things up" a little bit.  But I really do like the ideas you all have presented there (thank you so much for that wonderfully comprehensive list, Garga!!)  maybe I will still go a little light on the academics for one more year . . . hmmmmm . . . I really am not averse to making the kids study whether they like it or not, but learning is such a joy for me, I want to help my kids discover -- or rediscover -- that joy, too.

When you turn them loose, you have to do just that: turn them *loose,* without expectations. They are relearning what it means to be home, with their siblings and you, redeveloping relationships (or developing them in the first place), and that is not a small thing. You have to learn to love just being with them. And it's also been my experience that you do need to do a little directing (as with Garga's list), but again, with no expectations, only that you are expanding their horizons. :-)

Also, remember that "learning" does not always mean "loving to dig right into those textbooks."

I am not necessarily averse to making [older] children study whether they like it or not, either, but I think you could give it another year.

• Like 2

Try to distinguish between love of learning and school is fun. I do not make school fun, but my children love learning. I actively involve them in the planning process. I help them explore different areas they might be interested in learning more about and use those areas of interest become the focus of our school yr. Their days are still academically oriented, but the focus is on learning skills through content areas of high interest.

• Like 6

FWIW, my kids have only ever been homeschooled.  My younger kid (10) has always been bored with school stuff.  I have tried a lot of different things and either have not figured out what will be less boring for him, or he just hates any school work and would rather play (which I get). 

I do think he loves learning.  He doesn't always find school fun though.  I have asked him to suggest things that would make it more fun.  He hasn't been able to come up with much.  Some stuff I think just isn't fun to some people.

• Like 1

I love this article written by Cheryl Lowe at Memoria Press:

http://www.memoriapress.com/articles/learning-fun-part-one

I realize that many people find MP dry and heavy on workbooks. I didn't even consider it the first few years I homeschooled because it looked boring and I wanted school to be fun. However, we used Prima Latina in 3rd grade and loved it. In fourth we added a few more MP books and by fifth I was using much of the fifth grade core. I realize that MP isn't for everyone, but just reading that article and realizing that I didn't have to try to entertain was freeing for me.

I completely agree here. This year I loved away completely from a series of animated, online, entertaining materials and started using MP's core curriculum. I was impressed by the academic rigor but concerned about boredom as it's not overtly entertaining in the way we were used to.

After a couple of months, I've let this go. My daughter still moans at times when we start class, but I think this is because it's obligatory, not because it's truly dull. If I made watching TV mandatory, she'd probably (after a few blissful weeks) moan about that too. She still lights up when she does well and I praise her, and shows satisfaction when answering questions. Although I'm not providing "fun", she's getting an education that meets her needs and at the end of the day I feel like that's enough to make a long term impact.

I can't walk in your shoes and understand that everyone's situation is different. Just thought I'd share what's worked for us. : )

• Like 2

I pulled my kids out of public school also and my oldest complained the entire first year. This last year was our second year and the complaints were a little less. I've read the unschooling or deschooling idea's but I didn't try it. Part of the reasoning for me was the stuff they hate is math and english. They really like history and science so I didn't see a reason to cut them. I let them pick our science course. For history I created a curriculum based on the American Girl books. I did crafts, cooking, field trips. If you ask my kids history is now their favorite subject. What do your kids enjoy? There are history programs based on minecraft, konos sells some unit studies in a bag that have lots of hands on stuff that you could do with them.

I also agree with cutting screens. You might already be doing this but I wasn't and when I finally cut them it made a world of difference. Now I allow 1 hr during school days and 2 hours during weekends. We do a lot of library trips and I've started reading the mensa reading list for high school while they work on the list for elementary. I think it helps them to see I am reading through a list just like them. 

Another thing I tell my kids is part of school is disciplining yourself to push through when it's hard. The times when you don't want to work, hate what's in front of you and find it very tough you are building necessary skills. Intelligence is something you gain through hard work and mental discipline. We talk about the things they would like to do as adults and then I explain the skills they have to acquire to get there. I don't want to sugar coat things or make them think that all learning is going to be fun. It isn't and that's ok. I want them to understand though that there is so much value in the ability to push through and they are making strides in their character, intellect and gains towards their future by their struggles. 

• Like 3

When I first wrote my post, I didn't realize you'd already homeschooled for a year.

Along with a lot of the stuff listed above, it might be time to research subject by subject for curriculum that you think is best suited to the kids and then stick to it.

My kids, who do love learning, will always 100% put up a fuss about school work, especially at the beginning. It can take 3 months (months) before they stop trying to passively/aggressively force me to stop educating them. But after time, they finally catch on that it's not so bad and they start to enjoy the work we do. Usually. Once in a while I pick a bomb curric and no amount of time will make them like it.

But, still, to keep trying to spark that love of learning go on those field trips and read the books and watch the shows.

Also, field trips are much more interesting to the kids if we've studied the subject first. Like, study a couple of artists whose work you know are in a local museum and then go to see the pictures after you've finished your study of the artist. They'll get a lot more out of it than going to the museum cold.

• Like 1

Another thing I tell my kids is part of school is disciplining yourself to push through when it's hard. The times when you don't want to work, hate what's in front of you and find it very tough you are building necessary skills. Intelligence is something you gain through hard work and mental discipline.

I agree with this. In my  post in the "I don't like school" thread it may seem like I think school can be ALL fun. That is not the case. But I don't feel it needs to be all dull either. However, I do agree there are times when we have to just keep putting one foot in front of the other, yes. 

• Like 1

It helps a lot to read what you have said here. Last year, our first year homeschooling, I did just that: We did math and English each day and then I turned them loose, hoping they would develop their own interests. And, to be honest, I can't claim they didn't develop ANY interests, or love of learning: my oldest has really discovered her love of reading. By the end of the year, I thought maybe if I did another year of just math and English like that, I would be doing them a disservice . . . that it was time to "beef things up" a little bit. But I really do like the ideas you all have presented there (thank you so much for that wonderfully comprehensive list, Garga!!) maybe I will still go a little light on the academics for one more year . . . hmmmmm . . . I really am not averse to making the kids study whether they like it or not, but learning is such a joy for me, I want to help my kids discover -- or rediscover -- that joy, too.

If they like reading, perhaps do some guided reading. Mine need to read one of each every week: history, biography, music/art/poetry, science and literature. They pick the books and sub topics. I tell them to pick something they are interested in learning more about. Some science books included bird field guides and gardening books. I didn't limit their interests. I did help them find books if needed. Fyi- they love to read and are quick readers. I just wanted to make sure they varied what they read, and they might surprise themselves with an interest.

Perhaps this year you could learn some of your skills (particularly language arts) through a content subject. Instead of grammar workbooks, for example, have them do narrations, then edit/clean them up, and just point out particular skills they need. It's a lot harder on you, and less sequential, though, to do composition and grammar this way. It is more rigorous, however, than filling in workbook page after workbook page of grammar exercises and canned writing. IOW, interesting ways of approaching skill acquisition do not have to be less rigorous.

Another idea--What do they go to, when you release them from lessons? Use some of that to make their lessons more engaging to them. Doesn't have to be exactly what they do--for example, you could look at architecture if they are doing Minecraft (simple example).

I think art, history and science provide the spark in homeschooling, provided they are taught in ways that engage your particular child. I'd hate to just do math and English, personally.

I think art, history and science provide the spark in homeschooling, provided they are taught in ways that engage your particular child. I'd hate to just do math and English, personally.

Yes.  My school hater/bored kid really enjoys science, history, and art.  He can listen to that all day.  It's the grammar and math stuff he finds very boring.  It's hard to make those things fun all the time though.  I do try to play lots of math games and that helps, but it only goes so far too.

• Like 1

Thank you so much!  It's good to know we're not alone in this!  Y'all are right, of course, that some subjects just aren't going to be interesting to some kids.  It's helps to remember that.  And it's good to have all these suggestions from people who have been there.  I can't make every subject a barrel of laughs for every kid (haha!) but I hope I can at least pique their interests in a few things!  :)