Menu

What do you do with acorn squash? butternut squash?

Sahamamama

I usually just wash, cut in half, scoop out the seeds, place on a baking sheet, put on a little oil, and bake until tender.

I'm looking for something new to do with these beauties. ;) Any ideas?

We had someone's acorn squash at a picnic recently, and it was out of this world. I don't know how to contact her to ask for a recipe. She's Japanese, so I'm wondering if there is a Japanese way to cook squash. Off to Google....

For butternut squash, I cut it in half, scoop out the seeds, put a pat of butter in the hollow and sprinkle cinnamon all over the cut side. Then, I put about 1/2 of water in a baking pan, put the squash in, skin side down, and bake until done. Yum! 

I've never made acorn squash - what does it taste like? Is it more like butternut or zucchini? 

I do the butter and brown sugar thing with acorn.  With spaghetti, sometimes I treat it kinda like spaghetti with a tomato sauce.  Unfortunately, nobody around here likes either of these things, but me, so I make it for myself once in awhile.  I too would be interested in doing something else with them.

• Like 1

Acorn is a winter squash similar to butternut, but less sweet. I've stuffed acorn squash halves with a sausage stuffing and baked it. We also bake butternut or acorn, scoop it out, then mash it with butter, salt, and pepper.

I've seen recipes for things like butternut squash chili that use cubed butternut, but it's all I can do to get it cut in half to bake it, much less peel and cube it. You can also treat it like you would pumpkin.

Roasted butternut:

Cut the squash in half widthwise just above the bump-out. Cut both pieces into half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds. Use a vegetable peeler to remove the skin. Cut into 1-2" chunks. Toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast at 425, stirring a couple times, until the edges have gotten brown and yummy :)

Now I want some...

Roasted butternut:

Cut the squash in half widthwise just above the bump-out. Cut both pieces into half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds. Use a vegetable peeler to remove the skin. Cut into 1-2" chunks. Toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast at 425, stirring a couple times, until the edges have gotten brown and yummy :)

Now I want some...

This.  I like it roasted in chunks - the mashed has a texture I have a hard time with.

I do pretty much the above, but my recipe also adds nutmeg, chopped nuts and dried cranberries. :)