Menu

Son's croup attack last night and a few questions UPDATE#18

Ginevra

This is in my 10yo ds. He has always been prone to croup and had it many times as a baby-preschooler. At one point, I was able to get a nebulizer and a reserve of Albuterol, because he had been to the ER a few times already. (His first croup attack was at 3 mths old.) it was difficult to get a Dr. to prescribe a neb. And the Rx. He does not have asthma, so they were reluctant to prescibe.

So last night, I went to use the nebulizer, but it isn't misting. Also, I no longer have the Albuterol Because that was several years ago and it was very far out of date. (Dh thinks that was pure idiocy to throw away the old script, but I digress.) so, I am unsure about a couple of things:

1) should I take ds in to dr. today? Croup always seems so much better by the light of day, but if we have a repeat tonight, we may wind up at the ER. I thought about going to Urgent Care today.

2) should I pursue getting a new nebulizer? I was confident that he would have zero or close need for it by now.

3) should I pursue trying to get another back-up script for Albuterol?

Thanks for any insight.

My son also had annual cases of croup until he was 10 or 11 years old.  It did finally go away.  The hot shower to steam up the bathroom method always worked for him.  We did use his sister's albuterol inhaler once and found that it did work but he was unimpressed and the shower worked so we never bothered again.

I will say that in the last two years or so everyone I know that has gone into the doctor for a coughing/lung illness (bronchitis, bad cold) has come out with an albuterol inhaler (not an asthma diagnosis, just an inhaler to use for this illness) so they may be less reluctant to give you one this time.

• Like 3

My son would stand in front of the freezer and that always helped him more than steam. We've never used albuterol for the croup. He has had steroids for it. If it was really bad at night, I would put him in the car with the windows down and drive to the hospital. If he wasn't better when we arrived, he'd go in for a steroid shot. Our ped put him on steroids anytime he had the symptoms during the day.

• Like 1

Yeah, I have decided I am definitely heading to Dr. Today. Even now, he still has very noticable Stridor. The last time he had croup, I think he had a dbl. ear infection. I think I will take mt neb. And see if they can help me or recommend getting a new one.

• Like 1

One of my kids had croup this winter (long story, but it was the cause of my first 911 call). I tried his brother's albuterol nebulizer because I was panicking. It had no effect and when the ambulance got there they said it was a good try but albuterol is not effective against croup. They said the ER would put him in a steam tent and I went ahead did the same at home. It did seem to help. They also said that if it was cold outside (40 F or colder) that is one of the best ways to stop it, so sticking his head in the freezer might be worth a try.

All that said, I think it is a good idea to bring him in. For one, he could have more than just croup going on. And maybe albuterol is more effective in some cases than others. At the very least, I think it falls into the "won't hurt, might help" category. However, in my experience treating croup with a nebulizer wasn't very helpful.

• Like 3

I am glad you are taking him in. Also grab your phone and video his next attack; it is also helpful to time how long it lasts. My dd was hospitalized for 3 days with croup and still had attacks at 15. Hope he feels better soon and you can all get some rest. 

• Like 1

My almost 14 yr old has had several bouts of croup as an older kid.  The last time we dealt with it (Easter time???) the neb didn't help.  Took him to the ER.  Doctor there dx. him with some kind of laryngitis type viral infection that was obstructing his airways (he also had lost his voice).  Anyway, one treatment of steriods and he was like a new person.   I'd recommend going to the dr. too because what you may think is croup may not be croup.

• Like 2

My youngest has a history of croup, but he also has asthma.  His inhalers and nebulizer don't help him much, if any, with croup. 

I have resorted to giving him a dose of liquid ibuprofen (takes down swelling) and giving him some ice to suck on when he has croup.  He is 10 now, and the last time it wasn't as bad as previous times.  A doctor at the ER once told me the ibuprofen was a good idea.  Also, since croup lasts several days, I make curried foods with lots of turmeric (it prevents inflammation) and I try to serve other foods that help prevent inflamation (ginger, garlic, bell pepper).

Usually, by the time I'd get him to the ER the croup-y cough was gone.  It can be very frightening!  I also have run the air conditioning very HIGH in the car on the way to the ER, and I think that helps too.  In winter I would bundle him up and take him outside to sit at the picnic table.  That usually took care of it pretty quickly.

• Like 1

Usually, by the time I'd get him to the ER the croup-y cough was gone. It can be very frightening! I also have run the air conditioning very HIGH in the car on the way to the ER, and I think that helps too. In winter I would bundle him up and take him outside to sit at the picnic table. That usually took care of it pretty quickly.

Yes, very frightening. He was panicking last night because he could not inhale a few times. His eyes were gigantic and he was clutching his throat. :(

One thing and older woman shared with me that has helped Fritz a lot when he has attacks:

Put ice water in a bowl.  It's important there is ice in the water to keep it super cold.

Add two washcloths so they are soaked.

Leave one washcloth in the bowl and wring out the other.

Put that washcloth on his neck/throat area.  Leave it 2-3 minutes.

Put that washcloth back in the water and wring out the other one and put that one on his neck/throat.

Continue to switch them back and forth every 2-3 minutes for 20-30 minutes.

It's amazing how it can help relieve croup (note: it did not work on Fritz last time, but that is probably because the root cause was pneumonia, but in the past it has saved him from the ER and a steroid shot more than once).

I've used the albuterol/nebulizer trick for croup in a pinch, though the mechanism should be reducing inflammation in the throat area.  If it was also helping the lungs, that's entirely different and not croup itself as much as a lung reaction to the viral infection (aka asthma) - if that's the case, then I'd definitely want albuterol on hand for future wheezing.

If that was not the case, I'd probably go with the traditional home first aid methods (steam shower/cold air - I like the cold washcloth idea) and not bother trying to get a neb and albuterol *just* for croup (I don't even think our ped would prescribe that for croup, FWIW).  On the other hand, the neb can be handy for inflating small pools and beach balls  :tongue_smilie:

The rule of thumb is that croup is worst on the second night of the three nights.  Think 3 am.  I'd go with anti-inflammatories for tonight (i.e. ibuprofen every 6 hrs)

• Like 2

Seriously look into cough variant asthma.

We always keep fresh albuterol on hand in a nebulizer as well as an inhaler. Albuterol for a nebulizer is $4; easy enough to throw away in years it is not used.

This. It took years for us to figure out that my DD has cough-variant asthma. She also had croup every 5-6 months until she was 7 or so. It got so that I could see the croup coming, and a few hours before bed for a few nights, I'd have her use her inhaler and give her 200 milligrams of ibuprofen. That seemed to stop the really bad attacks from even starting. 

• Like 1

UPDATE: he has pneumonia. They were quite wonderful there; thank God for good help. The nebulizer works; the tubing was bad. They gave me a new tube and apparatus and future vials of albuterol if needed. Medicine for pneumonia and prednisone for the next couple days.

• Like 8

UPDATE: he has pneumonia. They were quite wonderful there; thank God for good help. The nebulizer works; the tubing was bad. They gave me a new tube and apparatus and future vials of albuterol if needed. Medicine for pneumonia and prednisone for the next couple days.

Poor guy :(  Glad they were able to fix your nebulizer.  That was the same treatment Fritz got last fall for his pneumonia.  Within a couple days he was much, much better.

• Like 1

Yep, same for us the last two times DD had pneumonia. IMO, the albuterol is good to have on hand. You just never know.

Poor kiddo :( I hope he's better soon!

• Like 1

:grouphug:   I'm glad you had him seen.  My dd had pneumonia last year at age 10 no less.  She made a pretty good recovery afterwards, but did use an inhaler for 3-4 weeks afterwards.  But hasn't needed it since. 

• Like 1

:grouphug: I'm glad you had him seen. My dd had pneumonia last year at age 10 no less. She made a pretty good recovery afterwards, but did use an inhaler for 3-4 weeks afterwards. But hasn't needed it since.

I'm glad I took him, too. I think by posting it here, it helped me think it through. He is sounding pretty bad as we get into evening. I would be betting on an ER visit before morning if I hadn't taken him today.

I'm actually considering writing a letter to urgent care, praising the dr. And nurse that assisted me, today. I always feel like you never know what you'll get at urgent care, but man, those ladies were sooo helpful and attentive!

• Like 8

I came back to check.  I'm so glad you took him in!  Poor guy - pneumonia! 

• Like 1