Menu

Disney World!!! Who? What? When? Where? How?

Here are a few sites to get you started: Disboards.com, mousesavers.com, undercover tourist.com.

We like to stay off site at a townhouse (Windsor Hills) . It is only 5 min away from the parks. You can get 3 bedrooms, 2-3 baths, full kitchen for a very reasonable price. There is also a washer and drier. It is in a subdivision and has a pool. Each unit also has a small pool.

It is hot and crowded in the summer but doable. We used to like going off season in the fall.

Feel free to ask me more questions. We have gone there several times.

Also I recommend getting their right at rope drop when the park opens. It is less crowded. Then we go back to our hotel for a nap. Then we head back after an early dinner and stay late at the park. This way we miss the most crowded and hottest part of the day. My kids are older though so it may differ with your family.

• Like 2

Do you want to stay on property? If so, they have Disney's Magical Express that provides transportation from the airport. They also have a transportation system to get to the parks, this is all included with the room price. You also get to schedule fast passes for rides before people staying off site. They have discount codes for room-only discounts, as well as free dining deals at certain times of the year. The forums at disboards.com are a great resource. We've flown Southwest from our area, and book directly on their website. I can help more if you're staying on property, we've never stayed outside of the Disney bubble. :001_smile:

• Like 1

Spend some time on easywdw.com.  It will help with where to stay (if you want to stay onsite), when to go, where to eat, what days to visit which park, etc.  If you've never been, you'll be surprised at how much time it will take.  We usually get six day tixkets and do two parks for two days and the other two parks for one day. Schedule some down time in your schedule so you can relax and enjoy your resort.  Also, might want to check out The Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World which goes into detail - much detail - about each attraction, as well as hotels, restaurants, etc.  Best advice I can give is to have some plan in place, even if it's just a loose guide.  It will make things so much easier!

• Like 3

I second easywdw.com! Absolutely free :) Start with the crowd calendars (right column of home page) so you can get an idea of how crowds ebb and flow throughout the year.

But yes, we need details :D Budget? Number of people? Ages? Thrill riders? Flying or driving? On site or off site? Disney only or adding Universal/Sea World/the beach?

• Like 1

Let's see if I can give you more details.

We are going for a week. We don't have a budget as of yet. That will depend upon what we choose to do.

We will be flying for sure. We want to see as much as we can in the time we have.

Definitely want to do Disney and Universal, would love to do Sea World, up to doing whatever else could be fit in.

I don't care whether we stay at Disney or not. If it is easier and less expensive then I would choose that.

There are six of us going;me(38), my two kids(will be 17 and 10), my dh(46), and my parents(60).

None of us are thrill seekers so we aren't into roller coasters unless they are low key.

Our expectations are just to make memories and have a wonderful time.

We like to eat so somewhere decent for dinner each night would be nice.

We all love to see sites and explore places.

Best time to go in regards to money or weather?

What did you do and where did you stay?

Your experiences? How long did you go for?

If it isn't too personal about how much did you spend with flight, hotel, parks?

Not looking into anything in depth in regards to your finances. Just trying to

get some idea of what much money to set aside through the year.

I appreciate everyone's help.

I'm a Disney Travel Agent (no additional cost involved), so feel free to PM me if you'd like. I do everything from book room, meals, fast passes, etc. to full-blown detailed itineraries (as little or much planned out as you'd like). I also have a lot of experience as a Disney traveler as well.

PM if you'd like.

• Like 3

I am certainly not a vacation planner, but I have been to Disney over 100 times. I will be there next week staying at The Boardwalk.

1. If you want to stay inside Disney, then consider getting two rooms at Port Orleans Riverside. Or you can get a suite at Saratoga Springs or Art of Animation. Disney also has more expensive options depending on how much you are willing to spend.

2. You will take Disney transportation from the airport to your resort if you stay on property. The Magical Express is included when you book your reservation. You just need to give arrival time estimates.

3. Get one person in your party to become an annual passholder. He should book the reservation. Someone staying an entire week will benefit from the resort discount. But, it is tricky. Ask if an annual passholder rate is available when booking. That will tell you if it is cheap enough to make the extra cost of the ticket worthwhile. The rest of the family can get regular one park tickets. Do not get a ticket for your day of arrival. Save that money and explore the resort that day. Go fishing or swimming. Also price out the packages. Free dining and other options can save money for some.

4. The above mentioned websites all have great tips and suggestions for dining. If you give us each family member's absolute to die for meal, I can help you find it at Disney. Sometimes, some of the chefs will let guests see behind the scenes and work a little in the kitchens. (It is more of a demonstration). This is really cool, especially if the wedding cakes are available.

5. One thing food lovers should not miss is the chef's table at Jiko's. One gets to try several items on the menu. If you combine this with an afternoon safari, it will be the highlight of your trip.

6. First timers should plan on just one park per day. Use the websites mentioned above to plan what rides and attractions you want to see. Many of the sites already have itineraries for those who do not like to plan. Any spare time you have can be spent checking out Downtown Disney or the fine restaurants at the Swan and Dolphin. If you can squeeze in an extra day at the watermarks, you will be glad you did.

7. Thinking of combining Universal with Disney is too exhausting for me. But, to each his own. You have several options for getting to Universal. Alamo will come pick you up on the day you want to go. They have an onsite car rental. Mears has several busses that come to the resorts. You will need to call for a bus schedule. Finally, taxis are available and is the most flexible. This will be your most expensive day as you will need to buy the Fastpass option and two park ticket to make it through both parks in one day. Harry Potter is amazing, however. Picking out a wand will set you back $40.

8. You want to know how much this vacation will cost. That is going to vary greatly. Disney and Universal can be done expensively or less expensively, but certainly not cheaply. With 6 adult size people who like to eat nicely and go to Universal and Disney, then I would plan for $1000 to $1500 per day. I have spent $1000 before with just two people.

9. Consider getting a Chase Visa and start earning Disney reward dollars. Get a AAA card to save 10% on some of the available rooms if you do not become an annual passholder.

10. Planning is half the fun. Enjoy. My favorite site is The Disboards. Chatting with fellow planners is a blast.

• Like 2

We have gone many times and we have a big group:)  The suites are nice but you have 5 1/2  adult size people.  I would probably go with adjoining rooms. If you want the most inexpensive route, it would  be All stars Music, Movies, or Pop Century.  We stayed in Music in  a family suite.  Since it is not all spread out, the walk to the bus was very short.(and dining court-which was nice). We have never stayed in a deluxe(because of finances).  We have stayed value and moderate and really there was very little difference.  Disney quality is at every level.  Actually, my kids prefer the value resorts because they love the colorful themes.  The value resorts buses in our experience have always been superior.  They come so often.  One year we were worried that we were staying in a value that was housing the pop warner groups.  We thought it would make it hard to get a bus.  Well, we were sent 2 at a time.  Disney anticipated and we never waited more than a couple minutes any time of the day!

I can not imagine only having a week and trying to do more than Disney.  I know some people do.  Disney is A LOT.  And if you have never been there before, you can't imagine what I am talking about. :) We have gone in the fall(Sept & Oct),late Nov-Dec, and May.  I know summer is doable, but we can go other less crowded times, so we do.  Our favorite time was after Thanksgiving.  The crowds were low and the decorations were fantastic!  It was warm enough to swim some days and nights and it was cool enough to wear a sweatshirt some nights.  Not a whole lot of sweating like in Sept.  We always try to plan our vacation for free dining.  It is never guaranteed, but there are historic free dining dates.  Disney is starting to add more "strings attached" restrictions to their free dining promotion.

A couple of the parks will take 2 days, so keep that in mind.  And walking around all day is exhausting!!  Plan on breaks and afternoons at the pool or you will get home and feel like you need a vacation after your vacation!

I too LOVE planning Disney trips.  It is so much fun!  From checking attendance charts and deciding what parks to go to what days to what restaurants to eat at(you need advance reservations for most sit down restaurants).

I also agree with Minniewannabe and all her expertise. :)  Have fun!!

I can give favorite restaurant recommendations if you want as well.  We have made it to most of them over the course of many trips.

ETA: We usually stay 10 days.  Tickets are practically free and we are there, so really the only additional cost is hotel (and food-without free dining).

• Like 3

Let's see if I can give you more details.

We are going for a week. We don't have a budget as of yet. That will depend upon what we choose to do.

We will be flying for sure. We want to see as much as we can in the time we have.

Definitely want to do Disney and Universal, would love to do Sea World, up to doing whatever else could be fit in.

I don't care whether we stay at Disney or not. If it is easier and less expensive then I would choose that.

There are six of us going;me(38), my two kids(will be 17 and 10), my dh(46), and my parents(60).

None of us are thrill seekers so we aren't into roller coasters unless they are low key.

Our expectations are just to make memories and have a wonderful time.

We like to eat so somewhere decent for dinner each night would be nice.

We all love to see sites and explore places.

Best time to go in regards to money or weather?

What did you do and where did you stay?

Your experiences? How long did you go for?

If it isn't too personal about how much did you spend with flight, hotel, parks?

Not looking into anything in depth in regards to your finances. Just trying to

get some idea of what much money to set aside through the year.

I appreciate everyone's help.

First couple weeks of December are great, although avoid Pop Warner.

The Christmas decorations are up, low crowds, good weather. You could do Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party if you wished.

October has good weather and decent crowds. They also have Mickey's Not so Scary Halloween Party.

Late October has free dining if there are still rooms available. You do pay rack rate for the rooms but depending on the size of your family, you could save a good bit of money. (You have to stay on property to get that deal)

January and February before spring break are good, but rides are closed more for refurbishment and the parks close earlier.

We sometimes go and used DH's hotel points to stay free offsite.

We have stayed at moderates and values. Our favorite is Pop Century, a value. Great with kids.

It's theme is different time periods. It has a Hippy Dippy pool and tie die cheese cake. :)

We like to spend each day at one park. We do not park hop but we did with teens or our teens did at least.

We like to get there early (take advantage of Early Park Entry if staying on property), eat breakfast in our room or splurge and get treats from one of the bakeries. We eat an early lunch at one of the counter services unless we could not get a meal we wanted for dinner. We like to do a table service for dinner, usually a character meal. (Saves waiting in line at character meets) We eat dinner around 6ish and then go back to the hotel to unwind. Get in the pool and/or hot tub, etc. Now with the teens (now in their mid-twenties) we went from open to close, but we were much younger too. :p

We drive down. We live in South Carolina. Plus it is great to have a car to get around and not take the buses. We moved from Fl, so we used to live closer and we have family down there.

We have a trip planned for October, we have not been in five years.

We had a rough couple of years and this year has been better and we just want to get away, plus my parents are paying for tickets, which are about a grand. I am doing free dining and for seven nights and eight days it is 2400 for three. With my parents paying a grand towards it, it is 1400 for us. I have already booked our reservations and paid for MNSSHP. We have never been to the Halloween party and it is Meg's birth month. She did not get a party last year, things were that tight. So, really looking forward to this trip!

We also need to budget for tips, fuel, misc, and souvenirs.

We dont' buy a lot of souvies. I will probably get a mug, we will get some ornaments for our tree and Meg will get a few things--tee shirt, pearl in Japan, autograph book, passport, etc.

Don't pack heavy, just wash mid-trip.

Art of Animation has rooms for big families, it might be cheaper to stay off-site at one of the wonderful townhouses they have.

But remember to budget for parking if you stay off-site and I think you can have your packages sent to the front of the park, not your hotel like if you stay on-site or you can rent a locker to hold your packages.

Practice walking! You will walk quite a few miles.

Disney is very big, bigger than you might think, I don't recommend doing anything else but for another family it might differ.

Realize there are some things that will go wrong and just go with the flow.

Disney is very good about wanting to make things right. They are known for their customer service.

We like to go for about eight days when we go.

We love Epcot and Magic Kingdom the most (for Meg is is Animal Kingdom and Epcot)

We like to spend two days at MK, two at E, one at DHS and one at AK. One day in the middle for rest and then the extra day for a park we did not get enough of. We also like to use our travel day to do Downtown Disney. We get there about lunchtime, eat at T-Rex or whatever and just explore, get to bed early and stay off-site that night.

• Like 1

I am certainly not a vacation planner, but I have been to Disney over 100 times. I will be there next week staying at The Boardwalk.

1. If you want to stay inside Disney, then consider getting two rooms at Port Orleans Riverside. Or you can get a suite at Saratoga Springs or Art of Animation. Disney also has more expensive options depending on how much you are willing to spend.

2. You will take Disney transportation from the airport to your resort if you stay on property. The Magical Express is included when you book your reservation. You just need to give arrival time estimates.

3. Get one person in your party to become an annual passholder. He should book the reservation. Someone staying an entire week will benefit from the resort discount. But, it is tricky. Ask if an annual passholder rate is available when booking. That will tell you if it is cheap enough to make the extra cost of the ticket worthwhile. The rest of the family can get regular one park tickets. Do not get a ticket for your day of arrival. Save that money and explore the resort that day. Go fishing or swimming. Also price out the packages. Free dining and other options can save money for some.

4. The above mentioned websites all have great tips and suggestions for dining. If you give us each family member's absolute to die for meal, I can help you find it at Disney. Sometimes, some of the chefs will let guests see behind the scenes and work a little in the kitchens. (It is more of a demonstration). This is really cool, especially if the wedding cakes are available.

5. One thing food lovers should not miss is the chef's table at Jiko's. One gets to try several items on the menu. If you combine this with an afternoon safari, it will be the highlight of your trip.

6. First timers should plan on just one park per day. Use the websites mentioned above to plan what rides and attractions you want to see. Many of the sites already have itineraries for those who do not like to plan. Any spare time you have can be spent checking out Downtown Disney or the fine restaurants at the Swan and Dolphin. If you can squeeze in an extra day at the watermarks, you will be glad you did.

7. Thinking of combining Universal with Disney is too exhausting for me. But, to each his own. You have several options for getting to Universal. Alamo will come pick you up on the day you want to go. They have an onsite car rental. Mears has several busses that come to the resorts. You will need to call for a bus schedule. Finally, taxis are available and is the most flexible. This will be your most expensive day as you will need to buy the Fastpass option and two park ticket to make it through both parks in one day. Harry Potter is amazing, however. Picking out a wand will set you back $40.

8. You want to know how much this vacation will cost. That is going to vary greatly. Disney and Universal can be done expensively or less expensively, but certainly not cheaply. With 6 adult size people who like to eat nicely and go to Universal and Disney, then I would plan for $1000 to $1500 per day. I have spent $1000 before with just two people.

9. Consider getting a Chase Visa and start earning Disney reward dollars. Get a AAA card to save 10% on some of the available rooms if you do not become an annual passholder.

10. Planning is half the fun. Enjoy. My favorite site is The Disboards. Chatting with fellow planners is a blast.

Port Orleans Riverside is beautiful!

Lots of info on Disboards,

Go to the Disney official site and put in different dates and such to get an idea of pricing, with/out Park Hoppers, staying on vs staying off, with the meal plan, without, which meal plan, etc.

We also use a touring plan. Last time we went, we did half of Magic Kingdom by lunch time before the hordes descended. lol.

I hope your family has a fantastic time!!!

DVC is another option for that size.  There are several places to rent points from.  If you don't stay on property, don't forget to factor in paying for parking.  If you choose DVC, then look at Saratoga Springs or Old Key West.  They are lower in cost compared to the others. At Old Key West the rooms are huge.   

My favorite time is November because if you time it right you can see the Halloween/Fall decor and the next day Christmas. 

The room discounts work better for us than doing free dining.  Feel free to ask me any questions.  We just got back and it was nice.  

If you go off property, look at buying tickets from Undercover Tourist.  They will have a few deals every now and then.  

I haven't used them but know several who have- magicalvacationstravel.com has a deal always near labor day celebrating their customers.  It is just room and tickets but is normally a fantastic deal.

• Like 2

I would start by narrowing down what time is best for all of you to go and then check out flights and hotels.

Some restaurants need to be adr'ed months in advance.

Do you have an idea of what each family member wants to do, any place special they want to eat or ride?

• Like 2

I would start by narrowing down what time is best for all of you to go and then check out flights and hotels.

Some restaurants need to be adr'ed months in advance.

Do you have an idea of what each family member wants to do, any place special they want to eat or ride?

Not really. We are pretty easy going but I still would like to have planned as much as possible to ensure

that we get to see as much as possible. My dc have only been there once in their life and it was with their father, my ex.

I suggest that you buy this book. DD has the Kindle version (2015 edition) on her laptop. I have the 2016 edition on my Amazon Wish List. I believe it comes out in August. I will buy the Print edition then. We hope to take DD there for her 15th birthday in October or the 4th quarter of 2015. Here is the URL:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1628090367?colid=3CJX9B0H3PKOR&coliid=I1ND41XGD1X3IJ&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl

This is a *thick* book and if you study it you will see a lot more in the parks.  

In past years, we have also purchased this book.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

DVC is another option for that size.  There are several places to rent points from.  If you don't stay on property, don't forget to factor in paying for parking.  If you choose DVC, then look at Saratoga Springs or Old Key West.  They are lower in cost compared to the others. At Old Key West the rooms are huge.   

My favorite time is November because if you time it right you can see the Halloween/Fall decor and the next day Christmas. 

The room discounts work better for us than doing free dining.  Feel free to ask me any questions.  We just got back and it was nice.  

If you go off property, look at buying tickets from Undercover Tourist.  They will have a few deals every now and then.  

I haven't used them but know several who have- magicalvacationstravel.com has a deal always near labor day celebrating their customers.  It is just room and tickets but is normally a fantastic deal.

Yes, sometimes room discounts are better than the free dining, that is why it is important to spend some time pricing out different scenarios.

I never thought of November and the transition of Fall to Christmas, good idea.

Even if you are on property, if you just book the room you can still purchase tickets from UT.

Christina, have you gotten anywhere with your planning?

With that many people, and the fact that you're not planning the entire time at WDW parks, I would think about a 3 bedroom condo at Windsor Hills or Windsor Palms. Vrbo.com is a great resource, and you're able to negotiate directly with owners. The Windsors are exactly the same, just Palms has a salt water pool. You'll have lots of room and bathrooms for all, save money, and only be 5 or so minutes from WDW entrance. There are shuttles, although I would suggest renting a minivan or other large vehicle so you can come and go as you please. The lodging savings would free up other money for park tickets, which is considerable these days.

There are fabulous lodgings on site for that many folks, but it's quite a bit more than a Windsor condo.

ETA Hold up. I got the OP mixed up with another poster with the large family? .If it's only the two of you, you could stay onsite easily.

Before you buy a guidebook, check your library and they will probably have several. You may still want your own, but you can pick the one you like. My favorite is the unofficial guide that Lanny linked. 

We have been 6 or 7 times with the kids, starting when they were 6 & 8. Our next trip is planned for this coming December; they will be 15 & 17 and still love Disney World! 

We have been a few times in the heat, August/September, and find it exhausting (and we live in Louisiana, so we're somewhat acclimated, but we don't spend 8-10 hours a day outside at home!). We vastly prefer cooler times of the year. The park hours are shorter, but you can get just as much or more done because it is not nearly as crowded during the school year. 

It's going to cost you a lot more money to do multiple theme parks. The cost of tickets goes down a LOT per day, the longer you stay. You will pay a lot more for 6 days split up between Disney, Universal, and Seaworld than you will for 6 days at all Disney parks. 

October, November, and December are our favorite months. January can be pretty good, but you risk running into the crazed Brazilian tour groups, lol - LARGE groups of people who are intent on all staying together, lots of running and yelling and pushing, ime. I would still go in January over summer. 

We like to stay on property and go when they have a free dining offer - we like not having to worry about what we want to eat. We get the quick service dining and just pay out of pocket for any table service meals we want. We're going closer to Christmas this year than we really wanted to, because that is when dd has the time off to go AND they have free dining. 

I'll give you a rough idea of what we're doing in December below. We drive the 10 hours there and 10 hours back, so this doesn't include airfare. 

6 nights and 7 days for a family of 4 (sadly, our kids are Disney 'adults' now) 

Staying at Pop Century, one of the value resorts, lots of fun theming, the rooms are small but we only sleep there 

Includes hotel, tickets, and quick service dining 

Quick service dining include 2 meals and 1 snack per day 

Bus service to parks

$2750 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Eight or more guests required for some preferred goodies. Not really any cheaper per head, but some cool opportunities like the a treehouse resort, private dessert parties for showings of Illuminations, etc. There is a group number to call on the Disney website.

• Like 1

Eight or more guests required for some preferred goodies. Not really any cheaper per head, but some cool opportunities like the a treehouse resort, private dessert parties for showings of Illuminations, etc. There is a group number to call on the Disney website.

If you are referring to the Grand Gatherings, I believe those have been discontinued. 

• Like 1

If you are referring to the Grand Gatherings, I believe those have been discontinued.

It is no longer called Grand Gatherings, and had another name I cannot remember, but the special itinerary planners and most options are still available. There is a different phone number to use, but I think if one calls the main reservation number, one could be transferred to one of the specialty planners. With Disney it is always just about asking, because information is not readily volunteered. Lol.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We won't be going even with my parent's generous offer, since the corporation pulled the yearly bonus. However, I do hope those of you going will post about your trips, so I can live vicariously through you.

Christine, any further in your trip planning? :)