Menu

Share your preparations for the Class of 2019

We made our Freshman Orientation and Parent's Weekend hotel reservations! 

This step makes it seem more real.

With DS working at summer camp (which he is loving) we'll only have two and a half weeks in Aug with him before we have to take him to school. We took the advice of The Hive and will be taking a nice family vacation during that time so the five of us can be together without distraction before he leaves.

My emotions swing between :hurray:  and :crying: .

• Like 6

Mine is living at home, and we've still got bits-and-pieces to care of. 

Pay the tuition.  I tried to do that last week, but they have a system problem.  You'd think they'd want our $, but not yet!

Get the medical records transferred to an internist from the pediatrician.

Get his driver's license done and car insurance in place.

Get a checking account opened.

Get registered to vote.

And yes, we're going on vacation in July.  Lots of prep for that.

Then in August buy books and make sure he gets to orientation.

I teach there Monday nights, and his first class is on a Monday night, so it's kind of cool that we get to drive together for the first one.

• Like 1

We live very close to ds's school so getting there is not going to be a problem. He will be far enough away to have his freedom yet close enough to eat brunch with us on Sundays. :)

So far, ds has narrowed down dorm choices and found a roommate. He looked for someone who wrote very little, had a similar bedtime and wakeup time, and who shared a few other habits, and that was it. His roommate also does not live too far away. I just hope they'll get along. My kids have not had good luck finding the ideal roommate their freshmen years.

Have to check on the immunizations and any of that stuff.

Have to apply for an odd scholarship.

AndĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ that is all I can think of for now.

Weirdly, I am putting aside stuff he'll need for his first apartment: old pots and pans, flatware, dish towels. Doing well there!

• Like 2

Since ds will be at home, things aren't quite as hectic. 

This week we have a lot to do. 

• mailed his final transcript today
  • open his first real checking account
  • have the housing form notarized that permits him to opt out of dorm living for the first year
  • registration for classes - this is a several hour event for new students. Since he doesn't drive yet, I'll be hanging out on campus doing my summer school work.

Over the summer we'll both be working on College Algebra skills. He's taking the class this fall, I want to try and CLEP out of it. Other books won't be purchased until July or August. He needs to figure out if his backpack will work or not. 

Other than that, getting stocked with school supplies is on the list. I actually ran out of folders and spiral notebooks this spring. That hasn't happened in this house for a like a decade. 

Oh and his actual graduation. I'm trying to schedule a time when his dad will be back in town. It's just going to be an immediate family get together. 

• Like 1

Uhhhhh, whaddya mean preparations?

DS18 is still wrapping up end-of-year projects, but will be done at the end of this week. Still kind of in hazy, end-of-school, start-of-summer mode.

He doesn't want a grad party, so it will just be a nice dinner out with the grandparents, with scrapbooks and his diploma.

Well, let's see.... getting his own checking account, I hadn't thought of that, that sounds like a good idea.

This morning I ordered CC transcript. His home transcript will go out next week.

Most of the action doesn't start until July-- housing and medical forms due July 1.  Actual registration happens on campus in September.

He wants to get his driver's license.

He has a short-term job that is ending soon, so he wants to find a second job.

He is going too far away for us to do parents' weekend, and the younger kids have their own projects, classes they need to do. His dropoff day is 2 days before annual family reunion in Michigan, which no one else wants to miss. I am avoiding thinking about those logistics.

Good to think about, though. Thanks for shaking me awake!

Maria

• Like 2

We have done a lot, already. 

What we have checked off: 

senior/family trip to London

final transcript sent

community college transcript sent, evaluated and credits transferred

online advising complete

registered for classes online

accommodation request completed and accepted

medical/immunization form submitted

university orientation attended (advising done, student ID in place, university account opened)

still to do: 

meeting with ODS 

pay for parking (lottery sign up opens next month)

dorm shopping

packing 

moving

Other things he has done this year: 

registered to vote

registered for selective service

updated drivers license to remove under age restrictions

checking account opened

ETA: Just completed the waiver for health insurance. 

• Like 2

Well, let's see.... getting his own checking account, I hadn't thought of that, that sounds like a good idea.

See if you can get him an account at a bank that has branches where he'll go to university as well as in your own home town.  Many banks offer free checking accounts to students, so it might be worth your time to have him open an account at another bank.

Regards,

Kareni

And check out your medical options. Each of my boys caught a number of illnesses their freshman year....so not only is it good to pack a medical supply kit for them to take with them that has not only basic first aid stuff but also cold/flu/etc medications.   But beyond the common cold/flu research ahead of time what the the college health center offers and what doctors outside of the clinic your kid can go to for more serious illnesses.  A friend of mine got stuck with a $250 bill from the health center for tests that they didn't cover, but if he went to a local doctor only a $20 co-pay would have been required!  It's better to check into this stuff before you have a sick kid calling long distance for help!

Before going to orientation, I suggest that you research what courses are required for the freshman year, core courses, and (if you already know) their intended major. It helps if your kid actually takes a list of courses (and back ups in case the courses are already filled or conflict timewise when scheduling) for the first semester when they go to summer orientation.  All of this stuff is online on the college websites.I learned this the hard way and both of my kids had to contact the advising office after orientation and try to enroll in different coures.  Orientation can be overwhelming and the advisors somewhat lax.........so prepare ahead of time!

Good luck,

Myra

Ds is so frustrated that he asked me to get involved.  He is a transfer student into an ROTC program in a state 850 miles away.  He's exempt from the required orientation because he's transferring in with junior status. He will be at the school for six weeks this summer for a Russian intensive program.  He can register for fall during that time, right? Nope.  They have to register during an orientation session.  They have one during the summer but he's not allowed to go because he can't miss a day of Russian (8 credits in 5 weeks). 

He also has to be back at school a week before classes start for a week long intensive boot camp style program. They have an orientation a few days before that begins. So they said he has to be there at check in for orientation and then wait until they do registration. So he pays and sits.   The time between Russian ending and orientation begins? 5 days. They won't allow him to stay on campus between times. 

The solution they have offered is to register the day before classes begin.  He's watching classes fill up...and with catching up with ROTC it's already difficult for him to arrange a schedule. This is not helping him feel like this is going to be a good fit.  

He is going to be ON CAMPUS and the office is OPEN.  

The solution they have offered is to register the day before classes begin.  He's watching classes fill up...and with catching up with ROTC it's already difficult for him to arrange a schedule. This is not helping him feel like this is going to be a good fit.  

This blows my mind. I'm sending you a pm with some ideas. 

• Like 1

Ds is so frustrated that he asked me to get involved.  He is a transfer student into an ROTC program in a state 850 miles away.  He's exempt from the required orientation because he's transferring in with junior status. He will be at the school for six weeks this summer for a Russian intensive program.  He can register for fall during that time, right? Nope.  They have to register during an orientation session.  They have one during the summer but he's not allowed to go because he can't miss a day of Russian (8 credits in 5 weeks). 

He also has to be back at school a week before classes start for a week long intensive boot camp style program. They have an orientation a few days before that begins. So they said he has to be there at check in for orientation and then wait until they do registration. So he pays and sits.   The time between Russian ending and orientation begins? 5 days. They won't allow him to stay on campus between times. 

The classes may not really be filling up.

The way it worked at DS's school (which also had mandatory orientation) was that a few seats in each class were available for each orientation session.  So after a given session's registration date/time the classes would appear to be filled up, but more seats were then made available when it was time for the next orientation session to register.

That's probably clear as mud!  It was confusing to us, but the important thing was that things were handled so that those who attended early orientation sessions did NOT have an advantage in getting the classes they needed or wanted over those who attended later sessions (even the last session, which was just a few days before classes started).

• Like 1

The classes may not really be filling up.

The way it worked at DS's school (which also had mandatory orientation) was that a few seats in each class were available for each orientation session.  So after a given session's registration date/time the classes would appear to be filled up, but more seats were then made available when it was time for the next orientation session to register.

That's probably clear as mud!  It was confusing to us, but the important thing was that things were handled so that those who attended early orientation sessions did NOT have an advantage in getting the classes they needed or wanted over those who attended later sessions (even the last session, which was just a few days before classes started).

That would be great- but the materials they sent out said they just let them fill up. They encouraged kids to come to the early orientations in order to get the best class choice. Some he had on his list are now listed as closed, with max enrollment.  He has class sections in his online registration account and they email him every time one closes.  He called to verify that these classes wouldn't open up and unless someone drops, no. 

Part of the issue is that he's catching up with cadet requirements. 13 contact hours a week are filled with cadet stuff and some of it overlaps two different class slots, which already limits what he can take.   

I think we're going to leave three days early and just have him attend orientation. If they have any slots open.  Just kind of frustrated because he's going to be on campus for six weeks before fall classes but they won't let him register while he's already there. 

Thanks for letting me vent, guys.  It'll all work out.  I think as soon as I pay the $150 orientation fee , that is.g

TechWife- you were right! Cadet academic services held the golden ticket. They told James they couldn't help him but he called the coordinator of the Russian program and she made some calls on his behalf and lo and behold...they will register him over the phone.  I can't thank you enough for the suggestion!

They specified he has to email from his school email and provide the names of the two references who arranged this for him, and have a schedule and a back up schedule ready.  That's the secret handshake, and I'm glad we have it!

Thanks again!

• Like 9

TechWife- you were right! Cadet academic services held the golden ticket. They told James they couldn't help him but he called the coordinator of the Russian program and she made some calls on his behalf and lo and behold...they will register him over the phone.  I can't thank you enough for the suggestion!

They specified he has to email from his school email and provide the names of the two references who arranged this for him, and have a schedule and a back up schedule ready.  That's the secret handshake, and I'm glad we have it!

Thanks again!

:hurray:

I am so glad it is working out! Glad to know my alma mater is coming through, just sorry it was so difficult. I hope he has a great experience at the language institute, it has a fantastic reputation! 

• Like 4

The things we have done:

Final Transcript sent

DE credits sent

Got current vaccine records

Accommodations request made and approved

Met with disability services

Received dorm assignment and schedule

To do:

"Freshman First Day" is two weeks from today. He'll get to check off most of his todo list then including:

Make changes to schedule (they put him in 2 classes he does not want or need)

Meet roommates

Talk to health services to see what additional vaccines will be required if any

Setup checking account with on-campus bank

The only things I know of that we need to do that can't be taken care of on Freshman First Day:

Send in CLEP and AP credits (waiting as he plans to take a couple more CLEPs over the summer)

SHOPPING! The boy needs clothes and dorm stuff and school stuff. There is a lot of shopping to do and no one who likes to shop in the family.  :lol:  :svengo:

ETA: The big stress for me is that dh is going with ds to Freshman First Day because I will be in NC at Acrobatic Gymnastics Nationals with dd. I have been trying to get them both prepped. I have a folder of stuff for them to take and to discuss with those they meet with, but I wish I could be there! Deep breaths - time to let go.

• Like 1

Ds is so frustrated that he asked me to get involved. He is a transfer student into an ROTC program in a state 850 miles away. He's exempt from the required orientation because he's transferring in with junior status. He will be at the school for six weeks this summer for a Russian intensive program. He can register for fall during that time, right? Nope. They have to register during an orientation session. They have one during the summer but he's not allowed to go because he can't miss a day of Russian (8 credits in 5 weeks).

He also has to be back at school a week before classes start for a week long intensive boot camp style program. They have an orientation a few days before that begins. So they said he has to be there at check in for orientation and then wait until they do registration. So he pays and sits. The time between Russian ending and orientation begins? 5 days. They won't allow him to stay on campus between times.

The solution they have offered is to register the day before classes begin. He's watching classes fill up...and with catching up with ROTC it's already difficult for him to arrange a schedule. This is not helping him feel like this is going to be a good fit.

Has he talked to the ROTC unit staff for help? I'm thinking they should have an admin person, a class advisor (ie the officer mentor for the juniors) or the executive officer (aka the second highest officer in the unit) who would have some experience with transfers. The ROTC unit will want him to graduate on time and are paying well for his credits if he's on scholarship. He should ask them for help.

Eta. I see he's worked through this. Way to go.

Has he talked to the ROTC unit staff for help? I'm thinking they should have an admin person, a class advisor (ie the officer mentor for the juniors) or the executive officer (aka the second highest officer in the unit) who would have some experience with transfers. The ROTC unit will want him to graduate on time and are paying well for his credits if he's on scholarship. He should ask them for help.

Eta. I see he's worked through this. Way to go.

Thanks- yeah, he worked it out in five minutes once someone went to bat for him.  He's registered and visibly relieved to have that done.   He got the last spot in two of his classes. Glad he didn't have to wait!

• Like 5

Thanks- yeah, he worked it out in five minutes once someone went to bat for him.  He's registered and visibly relieved to have that done.   He got the last spot in two of his classes. Glad he didn't have to wait!

That is great.  Sometimes it is a matter of knowing who can be the insider who can make the call to say that it isn't a situation where someone is blowing off regular opportunities, but rather that they have a unique situation.  I'm glad he found those people.

• Like 2

We're leaving today to drop ds off at the summer Russian intensive. Received an email yesterday afternoon telling us to remember to bring toilet paper! He's our fourth kid and we've never had to provide toilet paper before when living on campus.  Glad they told us! 

I have a list which I am hoping is going to get shorter.

Still need to order featherbed (and mail to my mother, she is staying there days before school starts)

Go to airport and sign up for TSA precheck

Eye doctor and buy extra pair of glasses

Mail back health forms (we forgot to sign and have to resend)

Open bank account at school bank (will do online, bank is not in our neck of the woods)

Buy binders, paper, etc.

I'm hoping that's all!

Another thing I'm doing is helping ds update his desk setup. For homeschooling he worked a lot in the dining room or his room. He's been wanting a better desk setup in his room, so we're headed to making a trip to our new IKEA soon. It's been ages since I've been to one and we've already pre-shopped. 

• Like 3

Another thing I'm doing is helping ds update his desk setup. For homeschooling he worked a lot in the dining room or his room. He's been wanting a better desk setup in his room, so we're headed to making a trip to our new IKEA soon. It's been ages since I've been to one and we've already pre-shopped. 

Elegantlion - I have Ikea envy.  The nearest one to me is three hours away.  I would love to go shop for dorm items there but it would take an entire day and I don't think I could convince DS to spend 6 hours in a car to shop for three hours. I like the idea of pre-shopping.  Maybe I can convince DS to look online and make some selections and then DD and I could go pick it up.

• Like 1

Another thing I did earlier this year is get ds an eye exam. It had been more than a few years for ds and he did finally need glasses (almost a given in our family). I had mine updated too and my prescription actually improved. It made a huge difference for reading the board in school.

One minor item I would put on anyone's list is a pocket stapler like this. It's easy to throw in a backpack and I'm surprised at how often I actually needed it in class (and not every class has a stapler). It uses full size staples.

• 3 weeks later...

My son and his roommate each got some of the worst numbers for choosing dorms/rooms which they'll be doing in about a week. I told ds to start looking at the cr*ppy dorms no one wants to be in and prioritize them. On the bright side, his dorm choice will most likely vastly improve come sophomore year. :D

• Like 1

To do:

"Freshman First Day" is two weeks from today. He'll get to check off most of his todo list then including:

Make changes to schedule (they put him in 2 classes he does not want or need)

Meet roommates

Talk to health services to see what additional vaccines will be required if any

Setup checking account with on-campus bank

The only things I know of that we need to do that can't be taken care of on Freshman First Day:

Send in CLEP and AP credits (waiting as he plans to take a couple more CLEPs over the summer)

SHOPPING! The boy needs clothes and dorm stuff and school stuff. There is a lot of shopping to do and no one who likes to shop in the family.  :lol:  :svengo:

ETA: The big stress for me is that dh is going with ds to Freshman First Day because I will be in NC at Acrobatic Gymnastics Nationals with dd. I have been trying to get them both prepped. I have a folder of stuff for them to take and to discuss with those they meet with, but I wish I could be there! Deep breaths - time to let go.

We've made a lot of progress on the to do list.

Freshman First Day was packed with information and things to accomplish.

He got his schedule changed and got into the class he most wanted!

He met his suite mates and that went well.

He got his bank account setup and we just got the online login info this week, so we can finish that up.

He did a little looking at dorm fashions and picked a few things and I've ordered most of what he needs. I'm hoping receiving packages every few days will ramp the excitement for him.

As of yesterday his AP score was in and I had it sent. We didn't send automatically in case it was bad.

Things still on the to do list:

The Health Services person at Freshman First Day was a bit clueless and couldn't evaluate his vaccine record for us. She did point us to a form we could fill out and submit to get the information we need though.

CLEP scores still need to be sent.

More shopping - school supplies and clothes, ugh.

Books! The child will need books. I've asked him if the lists are up and he said he'd check. No word yet. This is my ASD poor EF skills kiddo. I'm trying to encourage and give space alternately. 

• Like 1

Because ds is communting, he doesn't need a huge health record sent. He does need one form on TB filled out. I didn't realize this until last night when the news station had a blurb about health forms at the school. He says they didn't mention it at registration. 

While we were looking through his registration packet, he remembered the Federal Buckley Amendment forms still need to filled out. 

I'm still waiting on a book list from him too.  :rolleyes: Also, his total tuition and fees are posted (mine are), so I asked him to get those numbers to me today. 

On a lighter note, it's a tad chilly here today and he is actually wearing the college shirt I bought him for graduation. I almost choked up when I saw him in it this morning. 

• Like 1

We started a bit of dorm shopping. There was a sale on towels at Kohl's over the holiday weekend. I had a coupon for 15% off towels and another one for 15% off of everything in the store. The sale was really good. Some of the towels we picked were "buy one, get one for $1" and some were on a traditional sale of 15% off. I also had $60 in Kohl's cash from recent purchases made by myself and my husband. In the end, after sales, coupons and Kohl's cash, I paid an average of $4 per towel. They are mid to low-quality towels, I expect them to last him through college easily. 

I then had a coupon for $5 off of $15 purchase, a $3 off purchase total and 20% off entire store at CVS, in addition to several manufacturers coupons. I went to stock up on stuff for the household and in that process, added blister band aids, Neosporin, two toothbrushes, toothpaste and a tide pen to his stash. 

The Wizard Wall someone on the boards recommended has arrived as well. 

My husband has ordered his Macbook through the college bookstore and has purchased an ethernet cable for him. 

When he finds out his dorm assignment I'll take him to get some under bed storage boxes. They put all of the measurements online for each dorm - whether or not a bed can be lofted or put on risers and what the under bed measurements are for each scenario. They also post closet measurements. 

I still need to check with our insurance company and find out if there are any in network doctors in that area and whether or not they will reimburse student health for any fees. I also need to see if there are any scenarios where going to a private doctor as opposed to student health is more beneficial financially. 

My son and his roommate barely got into one of the four remaining doubles yesterday during their time slot to choose dorms and rooms; otherwise, they would have had to take a triple and an assigned roommate, someone they didn't choose. I like the roommate he chose on RoomSync. He goes to bed early and wakes up early to run and seems level-headed. Crossing my fingers that they get along.

The best part for me is that the dorm they got into is the one I was hoping for. One floor above their room, it's substance-free and interfaith (religious, agnostic, and atheists who discuss religious issues). It's not a party dorm or even in a party area, so I'm hoping that will influence him in a good way. We will see.

He doesn't start until mid-September. Two more months to go.

My son will find out if he got into his 1st choice dorm tomorrow.  He requested a dorm with a kitchen as he would like to cook most of his own meals. 

Our attorney is also drawing up docs for my son to sign that will give my husband and me the right to have access to his medical information in the case of an emergency.  Our attorney told us that since my son is going to an out- of- state school, he needs to have a separate document for each state. 

He is leaving in a little over a month for a 4-day research program that takes place before orientation.  His classes won't start until after Labor Day.  While he is very excited, I get sad just thinking about him leaving.

Our attorney is also drawing up docs for my son to sign that will give my husband and me the right to have access to his medical information in the case of an emergency.  Our attorney told us that since my son is going to an out- of- state school, he needs to have a separate document for each state. 

Why? There is a very simple release of information form that your son can sign when he goes to receive health care. In an emergency where his is non-communicative, the doctors will communicate with the next of kin and you will be allowed to consent to emergency procedures (including surgery). I'm asking because I want to know if there is something I"m missing. My son has already signed off on me having access to his medical information at the pediatricians office, the university and the oral surgeon. 

DS has a dorm assignment, but it doesn't make sense. It has a suite designation but it isn't in a suite dorm. It is also a dorm that is being renovated, but changing it into a suite dorm isn't on the list of things they are doing to it. We are also hoping that it opens on time and he doesn't end up in a hotel. Because of the renovation, there isn't any info about dorm features so we are still in the dark about some basic stuff like sheet size and whether or not he needs a fridge. So, we wait for them to put out more info. 

Less than a month until our daughter leaves for college. She has a job and is busy working. We had a grad party this month. We've gotten most dorm items. She is reading the common reading book that was sent to her in June. Her schedule is set except for one general education class that first-years schedule in August. 

Edited by at the beach
  • Like 3

Dd2 just received her roommate info yesterday. She is a transfer moving into upperclassmen housing, and her assignment is a quad apartment (yay!) with three girls who, judging from FB pics, are very good friends. They also all share a major (different from dd's), and in a school with FIVE majors, sharing a major is huge. Obviously dd will be the outsider in this quad -- we're hoping the other three are friendly!

The nice thing is that even though they are atending an in-state school, all three other girls are ALSO out-of-state -- dd actually is the closest to the school geographically, and we live 4+ hours away by car! I was expecting her to have mostly in-state roomies. 

We are going fairly minimalist.Since dd is our youngest, we are mostly recycling dorm stuff -- ds2's bedside table, dd1's desk lamp, etc. Dd1 just sent dd2 her pretty extra-long sheets that date from 2007! I think the only thing we need to still purchase is a mattress pad. Dd2 will have a car, so she can drive 10 minutes to the local Target or Bed Bath and Beyond if she finds she needs something.

• Like 1

Less than a month til move-in day for our dd.  Her NCAA athletics forms (a big packet) was due a couple of weeks ago & her books can be pre-ordered next week.  Almost all of her dorm items are purchased, we just have to fill her first aid kit with all of the essentials.  She and her roommate decided who will bring which bigger items & it's all running smoothly so far.  Move-in day is on a Thursday from 9am-4pm & then Welcome Week activities continue for her through that weekend.  I am so excited for her....but sad for me.  I will miss her so much, but I can't wait to hear all about it!!  

Good luck to all of you moms with incoming freshmen!!  We'll have to have an updated thread in mid-September :)

• Like 1

Ds got a surprise change of roommate/suitemate yesterday. The roommate he met at orientation in June decided not to come and a new person was assigned. He actually has an individual room, so this person will just share a bathroom with him.

Otherwise, we've started buying books and tomorrow he has a second meeting with disability services to review the accommodations letter they have drafted. He has a stack of bed & bath linens in his floor and the list of things to do is shrinking.

22 days to move in!

• Like 2

My son picked a dorm room that shares a bathroom with a total of 6 guys!! Not a hall bath, but there are 3 guys in each room and a shared bathroom between them. I told him I will go to his room once all year on the first day and that is most likely it for me! He doesn't understand how it would be so gross. 

He is ready; he went to a fraternity mixer at a baseball games and got excited about rushing. DH was in a fraternity so we have talked a lot about the reality of drinking and other aspects of being really stupid. I think he will be ok; ds wants to do really well in school and will work hard. He also hates to part with money so he might not join a frat once he sees the dues!

I bought sheets and other stuff but not much as the room is small. He will come home for Labor Day to figure out what else is needed. 

• Like 1

Why? There is a very simple release of information form that your son can sign when he goes to receive health care. In an emergency where his is non-communicative, the doctors will communicate with the next of kin and you will be allowed to consent to emergency procedures (including surgery). I'm asking because I want to know if there is something I"m missing. My son has already signed off on me having access to his medical information at the pediatricians office, the university and the oral surgeon. 

I am not an attorney and had not even thought of any of this until a parent mentioned a scenario that happened to her daughter last year.  The forms her daughter had signed were not adequate.  I don't know any details beyond the fact that the parents were out of state, the daughter was extremely ill and non-communicative,  and the doctors were not permitted to communicate with the parents regarding the daughter's condition. The mom suggested that I contact an attorney to make sure I have all the necessary documents in place.

The attorney told me that my son needed a durable power of attorney and a health care proxy for both the state we live in and the state where my son will be attending college.  These were multi-page documents, and many of the pages had to be signed in front of a notary public.

I have no idea why the forms the daughter signed at her school's health care center were not legally adequate.

• Like 1

DS set up his physical.  He thought he was done but the doctor forgot to fill out some of the paperwork.  The nurse noted that DS needed a TB but didn't give him one so DS had to go back today to get the paperwork completed and have the TB test.

DS bought a new computer with some of his summer earnings.

We ordered his comforter, towels, sheets, laundry bag, mattress pad and foam pad. 

DS selected his work study job.

DH and DS went to the city to buy new hiking boots as DS had a growth spurt this summer and outgrew all of his shoes.  DS is hiking the AT before orientation and needs good hiking boots.

He has three weeks until his pre-orientation leadership event. I don't know how much more he will want to buy.  He says he wants to hang off on spending much more until after he is there and will know what he needs.  Since DH and I are going to Parent's Weekend we can take needed items at that time. It's 6 weeks so I don't think it will be too bad.