Menu

If a student takes quite a few college courses during 11-12 grade, can they avoid taking the SAT or other tests?

I am seriously concerned that my daughter cannot do well on the SAT math portion, to the point of trying to figure out how we can avoid having to have her do testing. It's not a learning disability, she just struggles terribly and always has. I don't think there is any feasible way she could do well at all on the math portion of SAT.

Someone was telling me that if a student does a significant amount of college classes in 11-12 grade, colleges won't need to see SAT or other test scores; is that correct?

We have a homeschool co-op here that offers quite a few courses given by college professors for college credit, and/or there is a community college nearby, so I'm starting to think we should do this, but I want to find out if it's true that she wouldn't need to take SATs then.

And would a downfall of taking a lot of college work during high school be that the student can't get freshman status for financial aid? Because we will DEFINITELY need financial aid.

Thanks!

(note: dc is entering 10th grade this fall)

• Like 1

Sometimes. Here you can apply as a transfer instead of a freshman for the State u(s). There are specific classes for each major, but mostof the classes are general requirements. No SAT needed. Unfortunately, though, for the school my daughter wants to attend, two math classes need to be among those required 24 credits to transfer in. Not sure how it works at all schools. You may have the best luck with states that are required to take cc credits with a common course numbering system. HTH!

Edited to add: the above strategy of transferring in would make you ineliglbile for the freshmaen merit aid. I was considering a possiblity of graduating your student from high school before applying. I don't think you could do the same under the dual credit designation.

Have you looked at the details of the new SAT math section and also the ACT?  Many students will do relatively better on these versus the old SAT.

It also depends on where you plan to apply.  We looked at several "score optional" schools that didn't require a SAT/ACT score.  In practice, I'm not sure how that works, but I would think that college math credits would be sufficient. When in doubt, ask though.

In my state you can take as many college classes as you wish as long as you dual enrolled (i.e. not a high school graduate), but the state community colleges restrict what you take, particularly in the first semester.  At both colleges that I work for, dual enrollment students cannot take remedial math.  They have to take college-level math, which includes college algebra and pre-calculus, but nothing before that.  Dual enrollment credits do NOT make you a transfer student in my state, but that can vary.

You really do have to start talking to the colleges early on IMHO, particularly if you hope to transfer dual enrollment credit or do a 2+2 program at a community college and then 4-year.  We tell our students to keep the transfer plans and agreements in mind from the very first semester if there's any chance they might transfer.  You can lose time and credits very easily.

• Like 2

A lot of colleges require an SAT or ACT score for admissions, but esp. for awarding of merit aid scholarships. (Need will only get you so much money; high test scores boost you into additional merit aid awards.) Talk with the universities DD is interested in applying to, and if an SAT or ACT is needed, I'd suggest working with a local tutor who specializes in teaching the "tricks and tips" of SAT Math testing for the 6-8 weeks before taking the SAT. At the very least, go through some good prep material to teach her the "tricks" to testing specifically for the SAT. It really would be worth it to help your student reap $$$$ for college.

TOTALLY agree with previous poster -- and G5052 gave some esp. good advice about dual enrollment classes to help reduce cost of college.

Other ways to lower college costs are to take CLEP tests (about $125 each) for credits -- IF you know IN ADVANCE what university DD will attend AND which CLEP tests specifically are accepted by the university towards the degree program (and not just as "electives").

• Like 1

Thanks so far! I don't know exactly what dual enrollment is, but I do know that we don't have dual enrollment in our state. It would basically be just her taking college courses during high school (but not college math courses) in the hopes of avoiding testing, if that makes sense.

Thanks so far! I don't know exactly what dual enrollment is, but I do know that we don't have dual enrollment in our state. It would basically be just her taking college courses during high school (but not college math courses) in the hopes of avoiding testing, if that makes sense.

HmmmĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ Dual enrollment is usually a policy of the community college (not the state), which has a form you fill out and allows you, the student's school administrator, to count the college classes as high school credit on your high school transcript, while the college counts the classes as credit on the college transcript.

Some states have a free dual enrollment program for high school students, so that students can take 1-2 classes as dual enrollment per semester and the state pays the tuitionĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ But if your state doesn't offer free dual enrollment, you the parent can still pay the tuition for your student to be taking college classes while the student is still in high schoolĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ And, some public high schools do not allow their students to take dual enrollment classes. Are either of those situations what you are referring to?

May I ask what state? We might be able to help you track down the actual policies so you know exactly where you stand...

• Like 1

Dual enrollment is basically taking college credits during high school.

Locally the high schools offer it, and we could have done that, but driving mine to the high school 20 minutes away 5 days a week wasn't on my list of things I wanted to do.

The actual community college that oversees the high school's in-house dual enrollment is closer (10 minutes away), and we did summer, evening, and online classes, so the commuting issues were minimal. Mine drive later than most for financial reasons, so I had to provide the ride.

Locally, you can pick no more than two classes the first semester of dual enrollment from a list of approved classes.  After that, you can take anything that you have the prerequisite for.

We pay full tuition.  In some parts of the country there are other arrangements.

It would basically be just her taking college courses during high school (but not college math courses) in the hopes of avoiding testing, if that makes sense.

Well, if her whole transcript screams "I'm avoiding mafh" that is not a good thing. Most schools want to see four years of math at whatever level the student can do. She needs math classes and math grades of some sort.

For avoiding testing, you could try the test optional colleges listed at fairtest.org

OK, I see now-it's that our state doesn't have FREE dual enrollment, that was what I was thinking! I'm in NY.

According to this chart from Let's Homeschool High School, NY:

- has no state policy re: dual enrollment

- homeschoolers MAY participate in dual enrollment

- and the dual enrollment policies depend on the specific college/university

Here's the NY State Education FAQ on dual enrollment, but this appears to be all about public school studentsĂ¢â‚¬Â¦

From question #21 of this NY State Ed. FAQ on Home Instruction, it looks like NY homeschoolers are NOT eligible for any dual enrollment benefits from the public school system. I would guess that means "free dual enrollment." 

From past threads, I remember seeing that the CUNY system is unfortunately picky and persnickety about requirements for admissions for homeschool grads; I would imagine they will be equally picky about dual enrollment. :(

So, it looks like you go straight to your local Community College or University and find out what their dual enrollment policy isĂ¢â‚¬Â¦ You might try posting a thread with a heading of something like: "questions about dual enrollment in NY state" to attract the attention of WTMers who are NY residents and have BTDT. :)

It would basically be just her taking college courses during high school (but not college math courses) in the hopes of avoiding testing, if that makes sense.

Well, if her whole transcript screams "I'm avoiding mafh" that is not a good thing. Most schools want to see four years of math at whatever level the student can do. She needs math classes and math grades of some sort.

JanetC, I think that in this statement, HappyGrace is only referring to not taking Math as dual enrollment at the community college -- I'm guessing the student would still be taking homeschool high school math credits at home, while also taking dual enrollment credits of other types of classes during 11th and 12th grades. :)

But that's never a bad thing to remind people that admission to college requires minimum amounts of specific types of credits! :)

In Washington, the only wat to really get out of the testing is to accomplish an associates degree which bulk transfers to a state (or a very few other colleges) as a bulk transfer degree. However, that openly requires at least one college level math class or a qualifying AP score. An associates does not eliminate you from Freshman aid here. All dual enrollment students enroll as Freshman regardless of how many college credits they have accumulated at all state and most private universities.

I do not know about transfer in states other than Oregon and Washington.

Secondly all high schoolers here have to pass an entrance exam to even get into Community College. I do not know of a way to eliminate math testing completely.

An associates does not eliminate you from Freshman aid here. All dual enrollment students enroll as Freshman regardless of how many college credits they have accumulated at all state and most private universities.

The second sentence is correct, the first sentence is missing an important qualifier: An associates earned while still in high school does not eliminate you from freshman applicant status here.

Also, one mom found out on the college board this year: If you do not proceed straight from dual enrollment to college the following fall (i.e. if you take a gap year), UW Seattle will not consider you as a freshman. Not sure of other campuses.

• Like 4

In Washington, the only wat to really get out of the testing is to accomplish an associates degree which bulk transfers to a state (or a very few other colleges) as a bulk transfer degree. However, that openly requires at least one college level math class or a qualifying AP score. An associates does not eliminate you from Freshman aid here. All dual enrollment students enroll as Freshman regardless of how many college credits they have accumulated at all state and most private universities.

I do not know about transfer in states other than Oregon and Washington.

Secondly all high schoolers here have to pass an entrance exam to even get into Community College. I do not know of a way to eliminate math testing completely.

I work at a CC in WA. Your information pertains only to Running Start and not to the many other ways of using community college as a path to a four-year university.

For dual enrollment (Running Start), you need the SAT because you enter as a freshman.

However, if you go in as a transfer, you don't need the SAT. You also don't need your associates to transfer, although for many degrees, it's helpful because an AA-DTA (direct transfer agreement) will ensure that all those credits get transferred. You can just take a bunch of credits and get towards an associates, and provided you apply as a transfer, you don't need the SAT whether or not you get the AA. (NB you also don't need to get an AA via Running Start.)

Also, you do not need to pass an entrance exam to get into any CC in Washington State.

You must take the placement exam to be placed in math and English but it is not an entrance exam. If you have previous college credits this may waive the compass test, depending on the GPA and the credits. But most people who come in without college credits. It is simply an exam to determine which classes you are eligible to take without prerequisites.

Many, many students must take pre-college math or pre-college English. But those are offered at the colleges and many students go through those series before they enter college-level math. If you wish not to take the exam, then you will not be eligible for core courses such as English 101, so it's usually a sign of a problem.

Running Start is preferable because it's free. However, if you are Pell-eligible and can manage a good GPA, there are some CCs which will pay your entire tuition if you maintain a certain GPA, like 3.0 or above, particularly in Seattle where philanthropists have set up a fund intending to reach 100% of motivated local students. (PM me if you're interested in this.)

If that is the case, and the student is not a test-taker, and also won't need the GRE in the the future, I would recommend doing 1/2 way towards an AA as a high schooler, and then doing the remaining credits as a freshman at CC, and then transferring that GPA into a four-year. This is assuming the student will bomb the SAT because of some un-certifiable disability which is truly an obstacle to even state university entrance, but which also cannot provide accommodation.

I'd still try the SAT/ACT. You don't have to send it anywhere.

• Like 4

Not sure how low you think your dd will score but I wanted to suggest the ACT. Math is only 1/4 of the composite score. My ds did not do well on the math portion but did really well on the rest of it. He ended up with a composite score at the 95th percentile even with the lower math. He won't be going to a tippy top school but he should be able to get in almost anywhere else. Depends how low you would expect her to score. My ds was able to muster an average score on that part. You said your dd wouldn't score well. Not sure how you define "well" though.

• Like 1

Most community colleges in NY will allow dual enrollment, and most will be familiar with homeschoolers. For dual enrollment in NY you will have to contact the community college, all of them have their own individual policies. Generally though a student would have to take a placement test to dual enroll, which includes a math test.  How they score on the placement test will determine the classes they are allowed to take.  The ones I have dealt with a low math score just means you can't take a higher level math or some science classes, it doesn't mean you can't take history, english or something like that.

Also at least some counties in NY do pay for dual enrollment for high school students including homeschoolers.  I think there are only a few counties that do it (Oneida, Madison) but it does occur.  If you know local homeschoolers who have dealt with the community college they will be your best resource, because there can be a lot of variation among different colleges in what they allow and require.

• Like 1

I've been in your position, so I completely understand, and I'm going to encourage you in a different direction.  Instead of looking for ways to bypass the ACT/SAT tests and/or avoid math, take the path of conquering this challenge.  At the beginning of this year, we found out that youngest dc could not graduate from our home school cover (new cover for us) without an additional math and science.  Since math has always been a terrible struggle, we thought dc would work on a business math and a non-math science and just get done.  However, I could not accept that dc could not learn math, and dc was very aware that not understanding/learning math is limiting.  It wasn't an easy decision for this year to become another year of home school; i.e. 11th grade, especially since many kids dc knows are graduating, and dc is already older than most of them.  In the end, we made the decision to delay graduation, and I set out to find a way for dc to learn math -- a daunting task since I struggle with math as well.  Fast forward..

From a post on this list, I decided to use Tablet Class math with online tutoring from the author, Mr. Zimmerman.  Since he knows his curriculum, he was able to help us create a plan to review where needed and keep moving.  We began with pre-algebra and are now working on Algebra 2 and Geometry simultaneously. We will finish both of those courses at the end of July.  I say "we" because I have worked through the courses at the same time as dc, so I am able to understand which concepts and problems are challenging and pass them on to Mr. Zimmerman before the tutoring sessions.  Dc no longer thinks that math is impossible/discouraging/frustrating/hopeless.  One day as we were working on a long set of review problems, dc looked up from scribbling away and tapping on the calculator, and said, "I think I am turning into a math geek".  Honestly, those were words I could not imagine ever.

In addition to the work with Tablet Class math, we signed up for ACT/SAT prep with Beasley College Prep.  We have never used a prep service, and I thought improving dc's math score would be impossible since we hadn't covered the required math.  At the beginning of the school year, dc couldn't even finish the ACT math section in the allotted time and scores were low.  It took a lot of work (1-2 hours per day) and progress was slow, but dc's math score on the April ACT was in the college-ready range, which was cause for much rejoicing, and dc came out of Saturday's SAT tired but feeling good.  All math sections were finished and the essay prompt wasn't wonky.  Also, dc was not in the range of merit money at the beginning of the year but has now earned a good amount and is very close to full ride.  Fwiw, students working with BCP are earning high math scores without the required math.

Feel feel to pm me, but I will end with this.  You have three years to go before the end of high school, so mastering math is possible with hard work and dedicated time.  I would make learning math a priority.  Dc will be rolling into pre-calculus in two months and plans to earn college credits through CLEP next year.  First up, College Algebra CLEP.

• Like 15

I was so blessed to wake up and find so many helpful posts-thank you all!

Lori is correct-I will have dd take high school math throughout high school, I just meant the dual enrollment wouldn't include college math. (and Anne, e are not in a county w/ free dual enrollment, unfortunately!) I'm grateful to everyone for all the CC, associate's, gap year, etc. info-I am clueless on all this and it really helped me.

After looking all this over and thinking about it, it seems like it would be pretty tough to get around math or math testing, especially since she's currently thinking of nursing (although that may change). I was really pleased to hear that the ACT is only 1/4 math-that is great to know, teachermom, as dd is really bright in every other area than math. It encouraged me to hear your son's score, even with an average math.

She will be doing her math from here on in a co-op two days/wk instead of at home with me (I'm a crummy math teacher) so I'm hoping that will help some.

1Togo-your post really encouraged me and it's great to see exactly what resources you used. The BCP sounds great-but expensive. I'm going to PM you. Thanks!

• Like 1

BCP has been worth every penny.  Dc had no scholarship money when we went into this, even with good scores on other sections of ACT, but now has scholarship money at many univs and is very close to full ride at one target school.  

I know it's just my opinion, but I would not put a struggling math student in a co-op setting.  The progress this this year has come with hard work and my involvement.  Fwiw, I am not good at math at all; i.e. barely made it through high school reqs and one required college math class.  I have been working the same math as dc, so I understand the struggles.  I pass on that info to the tutor, so the sessions are very productive.  I am not the teacher; Mr. Zimmerman is the coach/mentor/tutor.

In general, I don't think outside courses are good for struggle subjects.  We've had to slow the pace, repeat the material, and do extra review for some of the concepts this year.  Deadlines and schedules would have made learning difficult and stressful.  It's not that we didn't stick to a schedule, but we had the freedom to make sure that learning and mastery were the priorities.

• Like 6

Btw, we tried the following for math:  Saxon, BJU, VideoText, Math Relief and probably a few I can't remember, so my Tablet Class rec comes from experience.  TC has worked not only because of the material; i.e. content, clear video teaching, etc., but also because of the excellent tutoring.  When the tutor has written the material, he knows his goals, methods, and the challenges.  Also, Mr. Zimmerman has given us an appropriate strategy even time we have gotten stuck.  We keep moving.

• Like 2

It means no part time at home, part time at high school taking DE courses on the high school campus if the student is listed as homeschooled. Policies have changed recently and DE or Early College is now allowed at some CCs. Each has its own policy. DE at our high school is subsidized, its free if student is on free lunch, using community funding to pay the subsidized fee. DE at the CC is full pay in my area, with a cost so close to the regional 4 year that students are starting at tne 4 yr and transferring from there. Most high schoolers here grad in 3 and move on if they will be eligible for college financial aid.

Thank you for the clarification! :)

I work at a CC in WA. Your information pertains only to Running Start and not to the many other ways of using community college as a path to a four-year university.

This is a very good reminder -- I think we all got off track because the OP asked about doing college credits in 11th and 12th grade. There is nothing wrong with taking CC classes after high school graduation!

OP: I know we got off track talking about WA here, but the CC option is generally a no-SAT school regardless of state. Just make sure to talk with the advisers if you plan to transfer later.

• Like 1

THANKS so much for this post 1TOGO; it was VERY encouraging! :001_smile: 

I've been in your position, so I completely understand, and I'm going to encourage you in a different direction.  Instead of looking for ways to bypass the ACT/SAT tests and/or avoid math, take the path of conquering this challenge.  At the beginning of this year, we found out that youngest dc could not graduate from our home school cover (new cover for us) without an additional math and science.  Since math has always been a terrible struggle, we thought dc would work on a business math and a non-math science and just get done.  However, I could not accept that dc could not learn math, and dc was very aware that not understanding/learning math is limiting.  It wasn't an easy decision for this year to become another year of home school; i.e. 11th grade, especially since many kids dc knows are graduating, and dc is already older than most of them.  In the end, we made the decision to delay graduation, and I set out to find a way for dc to learn math -- a daunting task since I struggle with math as well.  Fast forward..

From a post on this list, I decided to use Tablet Class math with online tutoring from the author, Mr. Zimmerman.  Since he knows his curriculum, he was able to help us create a plan to review where needed and keep moving.  We began with pre-algebra and are now working on Algebra 2 and Geometry simultaneously. We will finish both of those courses at the end of July.  I say "we" because I have worked through the courses at the same time as dc, so I am able to understand which concepts and problems are challenging and pass them on to Mr. Zimmerman before the tutoring sessions.  Dc no longer thinks that math is impossible/discouraging/frustrating/hopeless.  One day as we were working on a long set of review problems, dc looked up from scribbling away and tapping on the calculator, and said, "I think I am turning into a math geek".  Honestly, those were words I could not imagine ever.

In addition to the work with Tablet Class math, we signed up for ACT/SAT prep with Beasley College Prep.  We have never used a prep service, and I thought improving dc's math score would be impossible since we hadn't covered the required math.  At the beginning of the school year, dc couldn't even finish the ACT math section in the allotted time and scores were low.  It took a lot of work (1-2 hours per day) and progress was slow, but dc's math score on the April ACT was in the college-ready range, which was cause for much rejoicing, and dc came out of Saturday's SAT tired but feeling good.  All math sections were finished and the essay prompt wasn't wonky.  Also, dc was not in the range of merit money at the beginning of the year but has now earned a good amount and is very close to full ride.  Fwiw, students working with BCP are earning high math scores without the required math.

Feel feel to pm me, but I will end with this.  You have three years to go before the end of high school, so mastering math is possible with hard work and dedicated time.  I would make learning math a priority.  Dc will be rolling into pre-calculus in two months and plans to earn college credits through CLEP next year.  First up, College Algebra CLEP.

One other consideration is to think about what "doing well" or "doing badly" on the ACT and SAT are.  It might be worth the time to look at the colleges that you'd consider as likely goals and see what their average scores are.  Because you mentioned nursing, it may be worth either looking at the nursing department specifically or emailing them for specifics.  

But also keep in mind that the benchmark scores that are used to indicate college readiness are typically around 500 for the SAT.  For nursing, with its emphasis on chemistry and pharmacology, you are better off with a stronger understanding of math.  But it doesn't have to be a 700+ to get into a nursing program.  (ETA:  What I am trying to point out is that you don't have to hit a home run in order to do well enough on the SAT to meet a lot of college admissions targets.)

You might have her look at community colleges that either offer a specific nursing transfer path, or offer a 4 year nursing program.  (ETA: There is a move at some of the larger CC's to offer selected 4 year degrees.  Nursing degrees are one program that I've heard specifically discussed.  Even if a 4 year degree isn't offered, there may be a well organized nursing transfer plan.  One young friend of ours was in her second year of such a program.   Her anatomy instructor was a retired MD, who had a real passion for the subject.  Our friend loved the class and thought that she was learning a lot.)

I would suggest looking at the requirements of some colleges that your daughter is likely to be interested in.  Admission requirements can vary greatly from school to school.  Some schools will require the ACT or SAT, do not require high scores on those tests.   In that case, the results may be used to place students in remedial coursework, if needed.  Often at a school that does not require the ACT or SAT, there will be some other type of testing required for course placement, especially into math courses.  

I would encourage you to focus on how to make sure that your daughter will be best prepared for the college work that she wants to do when the time comes.  That may mean focusing more on math at this point if she wants to go into nursing.  

It will depend on the college. Even being able to apply as a transfer with college classes under your belt, many schools will still want to see SAT scores. On the other hand, if she has demonstrated already that she is capable of college-level mathematics, they're less likely to care if her score is somewhat low in that area. Colleges are looking for well-rounded students, not necessarily the ones with the highest test scores.

Our state Universities will take a student without SAT scores who either has 26 college credits (through themselves or the state CC) or demonstrated a proficiency in particular courses.  I went to University with out taking the SAT, I had a really amazing GED score.  I was in English Comp. class with several students who didn't get above a 520 on the Verbal portion of the SAT and they were admitted to University (Indiana or Purdue both accepted them).  I don't know what's changed or if they were exceptions?  But I would call the University myself to ask questions.

OP could look at the Yahoo group for NYS homeschoolers, NYHEN.  They can probably answer any questions that are specific to NY homeschooling.

Any New York homeschoolers who can help the original poster with tips and experiences with dual enrollment and specific community colleges in NY?

Regarding the financial aid aspect - my two oldest did a lot community college in high school, graduated early, and then did more community college. They did not need the SAT/ACT to transfer into a four year. But, the cc classes they did in high school still counted 'against' them as far as financial aid because they did take classes after graduation also.

One thing that really sticks out in my memory of going through the whole FAFSA rigmarole the first time was that it did not matter if I put down that my child was a freshman/sophomore/junior/senior, it only mattered how many credits that the college they transferred to said they had. And the colleges counted the credits earned during high school the same as after graduation.

This didn't affect to my child who transferred out of state and could not use a state grant, but for my child who transferred to an in-state university it limited how many semester of financial aid she qualified for. Luckily for us the 4 year university did not accept all of her transfer credits, so she was able to have enough financial aid to finish her degree.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi.

I'm late weighing in on this, but community colleges do not generally require SAT scores.  My oldest ds did not take the SAT; however, he did attend a local community college for two years.  He was accepted at two different universities in state without any problems when he was ready to transfer. 

Gina

I'm late weighing in on this, but community colleges do not generally require SAT scores.  My oldest ds did not take the SAT; however, he did attend a local community college for two years.  He was accepted at two different universities in state without any problems when he was ready to transfer. 

Agree. Just want to add that while test scores were not needed for admission to the communitiy college (CC), the SAT and ACT scores did help our DSs land merit aid scholarships at the CC they attended after high school. :) 

And, since student plans can change suddenly and very last minute, it's very nice to have a test score "in your back pocket" just in case it's unexpectedly needed. ;)

You need more solid information. Don't make serious assumptions (and then important decisions) based on how you think she will do. 

I would have her take a practice ACT and go from there (she should be taking a practice one soon anyway). If she does better than expected, it may boost her confidence. Either way, she will see where she is and where she needs to be. 

Also late to the game here, but our local colleges won't even let you dual enroll without an ACT score.  The one we are eyeballing is actually harder (higher ACT score required) to get into for the dual enrollment option then for regular enrollment.  I kind of understand needing to make sure that a 10th grader coming in can actually handle college level work, but it stinks when you are the one sitting on pins and needles hoping that your DD made the cut off this time.

• Like 1

For our local CC you only need to take the placement tests.  If your student has no plans to directly attend a four year University for Freshman and Sophomore years then the SAT or ACT is not required. The transfer school will look at the CC grades.

First, go visit admissions at a couple of colleges your child might be interested in attending. Talk with someone in charge. It is the best way to plan high school.

Some SUNY schools as well as private colleges in NY are SAT/ACT optional. We have found that Universities like actual non parent grades/test scores for home schoolers. 

Be sure your student is prepared for the college class with adequate high school education. Classes move fast in college. You want it to be a good experience.

For our local CC you only need to take the placement tests.  If your student has no plans to directly attend a four year University for Freshman and Sophomore years then the SAT or ACT is not required. The transfer school will look at the CC grades.

This is not always true. I attended a CC to save money before transferring and they still wanted to see my SAT scores (and it wasn't because of grades - I was an excellent student).

The only way to get an answer that will have any meaning is to talk to the admissions office of the school(s) your daughter is interested in. Their opinions are the only ones that mean anything.

• Like 1

This is not always true. I attended a CC to save money before transferring and they still wanted to see my SAT scores (and it wasn't because of grades - I was an excellent student).

The only way to get an answer that will have any meaning is to talk to the admissions office of the school(s) your daughter is interested in. Their opinions are the only ones that mean anything.

If you had not taken the SAT in HS they wouldn't have admitted you ??! - that's ridiculous - obviously this particular college over-weighs the SAT versus real coursework

All four of the schools I applied to listed SAT/ACT scores as a requirement for transfer students. If I hadn't taken them in HS they probably would have expected me to take them before applying, as the requirement was clearly listed on the application materials. Your leap of judgement to the statement that they obviously over-weigh the scores just because they require them is what's ridiculous.