Menu

Wanna help me find a Mother's Day gift for my mom?

AimeeM

She's allergic to flowers and can't eat chocolate. She's have a rough, rough couple of years - she had to leave a career she loved and had worked in for a long time because of a debilitating disability; her marriage (of only 1.5 years) is not working out, and she's terribly worried about my middle sister. I do not live locally, but I talk to her daily.

She has a kindle that we gave her for Christmas, but I'm not sure how much she still uses it... I was thinking giftcard, but that seems impersonal. Maybe a Kindle Store giftcard and another (more personal) gift? Any ideas?

Does she like nice bath products?   If so, put together a spa kit kind of thing?

Subscription to a new magazine? 

Some mothers like nice kitchen things.  I always need new dishtowels and am happy to receive pretty ones.  But some don't, so I won't presume your mom does.

A visit from you soon?  Of course I don't know how far apart you are, how feasible travel is etc?

Garden tools and some seeds, maybe for an herb garden? 

Coffee or tea selection?

These are all things I would like.  My MIL would hate most of them.  We rotate between scarves, earrings, and stationery gifts.

• Like 2

For both of our mothers this year, we bought personalized mugs from PersonalCreations.com. They were cute mugs with "We love [whatever you call her]" and stylized, custom figures to represent each grandchild. We also added figures for our generation, so we included all of the moms' descendants and the spouses of the married ones. You can even add figures to represent dogs and cats.

Considering all that your mom has been going through, I think a gift card should be an "extra" (if you know a place she loves to shop,) but not the primary gift.

I wish you were able to visit her for Mother's Day or have her visit you.

Does she have any hobbies? If she is feeling unwell and unhappy, maybe starting a new hobby -- particularly one where she could take lessons and get out of the house and meet new people -- might be good for her.

My mom would appreciate a selection of teas. Or just new photos of the dc.

Dh usually sends his mom money because she has a really tight budget and can't afford nice extras like going to the opera or symphony.

Both our moms are at a good place life-wise and are very practical besides so these ideas might not work for you. Except maybe the photo thing. What about a new photo of the family and a lovely note from you? I'll bet your mom would love an encouraging and heartfelt note.

A visit would be the best gift.  :)

How about a bird feeder with a way to hang it within view of her window?

Browse personalcreations.com for something that you put the grandkids' names on?  Garden stepping stones, maybe?  They had some cute ones.

Does she have a girlfriend to do things with?  ...Movie tickets, mani/pedi gift certs?  Lunch gift card?

We are wimping out and sending flowers to all the moms this year.  We've got six of them, between moms and stepmoms and birthmoms.  And I just don't have the energy to do thoughtful shopping this year - so flowers it is.  Thankfully, no one's allergic, or I'd be a crazy mess!

• Like 1

Photo book?

Pedicure or massage gift card (prepay tip)?

Some other type of favorite goodie--fruit, cheese, homemade pound cake or cookies?

I got my mom a Pandora bracelet so I don't have to think really hard about gifts. I just let my oldest pick out a charm.

What about a "letter of the week" club from you and the kids?  Promise to send a letter from at least one of you a week.  A hand drawn picture from the youngest, a picture of the kids, or a letter from the oldest.  If you address all the envelopes at once, it would be a reminder to do one of those things and pop it in the mail.

• Like 1

Considering all that your mom has been going through, I think a gift card should be an "extra" (if you know a place she loves to shop,) but not the primary gift.

I wish you were able to visit her for Mother's Day or have her visit you.

Does she have any hobbies? If she is feeling unwell and unhappy, maybe starting a new hobby -- particularly one where she could take lessons and get out of the house and meet new people -- might be good for her.

I wish we could visit for Mother's Day :(

I was down there a few weeks ago; she doesn't live terribly far away, but far enough that a day trip with the kids is impossible. I wish MD wasn't on a Sunday - we have to be back for therapies and doctor's appointments first thing Monday morning. I am planning to drive down to get her the weekend after mother's day (or two weekends after; whatever she prefers).

My middle sister planned a big thing for Mom for mother's day, so she'll be busy at least. 

I miss her like crazy. 

She can't get out of the house, really, and I think that's part of the depression. She is having small seizures and has had several small strokes, so she isn't allowed to drive. She went from working full time to... nothing, really.

A visit would be the best gift.   :)

How about a bird feeder with a way to hang it within view of her window?

Browse personalcreations.com for something that you put the grandkids' names on?  Garden stepping stones, maybe?  They had some cute ones.

Does she have a girlfriend to do things with?  ...Movie tickets, mani/pedi gift certs?  Lunch gift card?

We are wimping out and sending flowers to all the moms this year.  We've got six of them, between moms and stepmoms and birthmoms.  And I just don't have the energy to do thoughtful shopping this year - so flowers it is.  Thankfully, no one's allergic, or I'd be a crazy mess!

We can't visit that weekend, unfortunately - we have appointments and therapies first thing Monday morning that we have to be in state for :(

She doesn't have any girlfriends and she can't drive to get out of the house. I would really love to send her to some special place... so she could go once... instead of her getting roped into babysitting niece and nephew every weekend, but that's a rant, not a reply, so I'll stop, lol. She has nobody to go *with* is the bigger problem. When we visit (we were just down a few weeks ago) I definitely try to treat her to things, but I *do* wish she had a way to get out and meet others. She loves to read! She would love to join a book club. 

I've never heard of personalcreations... I'll go look now. Thanks!

• Like 1

Photo book?

Pedicure or massage gift card (prepay tip)?

Some other type of favorite goodie--fruit, cheese, homemade pound cake or cookies?

I got my mom a Pandora bracelet so I don't have to think really hard about gifts. I just let my oldest pick out a charm.

What are the Pandora bracelets? I hear about them all the time, but I'm not a jewelry person :P Are they plated in a way that a person who is allergic to most metals could wear it? So, she can wear things that are "sterling silver," but otherwise have to be solid. She does like jewelry :)

What are the Pandora bracelets? I hear about them all the time, but I'm not a jewelry person :P Are they plated in a way that a person who is allergic to most metals could wear it? So, she can wear things that are "sterling silver," but otherwise have to be solid. She does like jewelry :)

http://m.pandora.net/en-us

They have sterling silver and gold. If there's a Pandora store near you, they will have specials. There was one in March where you got a free bracelet if you spent $100, so I got her birthday and mother's day then. Nordstrom carries a few of them (and will honor the other store sales IME) and Von Maur does too around here.

Oh, what about an audible.com subscription, if reading is hard after the strokes?

I like the pandora bracelet idea, too.

Hoping that you find the perfect gift. With everything she's been through, I want to send her a gift, too! :)

http://m.pandora.net/en-us

They have sterling silver and gold. If there's a Pandora store near you, they will have specials. There was one in March where you got a free bracelet if you spent $100, so I got her birthday and mother's day then. Nordstrom carries a few of them (and will honor the other store sales IME) and Von Maur does too around here.

I probably need to order it so that it gets to her in time. They are beautiful - and some of the charms she would really love.

How heavy are the bracelets with the charms on them?

My Mom is awful hard to buy for.  We were at Sam's Club today and she saw a display of little Bonsai Trees and promptly fell in love.  You said your Mom was allergic to flowers, but would she like a little Bonsai tree or other indoor plant like an Aloe, Fern or Ficus?  Sometimes a little green just makes a room so much more happy!

I probably need to order it so that it gets to her in time. They are beautiful - and some of the charms she would really love.

How heavy are the bracelets with the charms on them?

Lighter than an old-school charm bracelet. They have necklaces too. I haven't felt a full one. I just started it last year on her birthday.