Menu

Internet trolls

purplejackmama

Is it bad that I think it would be kinda fun to play troll?

Maybe we should start a Troll of the Week club and draw names to see who gets to start lots of crazy threads. At the end of the week, there could be a poll where everyone could vote on who we thought the troll was.

Cupcake prizes could be awarded. :D

• Like 11

Maybe we should start a Troll of the Week club and draw names to see who gets to start lots of crazy threads. At the end of the week, there could be a poll where everyone could vote on who we thought the troll was.

Cupcake prizes could be awarded. :D

Judging might be difficult.  Sometimes there are just too many whacko threads to choose from.

ETA: honestly, how would we choose between "Which Latin for a 2yo?" and "Help! DS wants to wear rollerskates to prom!" ? 

• Like 7

PSA: you might want to google "astroturfing" and "persona management software" before you put too much of your valuable time and energy into troll hunting.

They may just be web bots and not mentally ill or obnoxious individuals at all.

• Like 2

I guess it depends on the definition. I know that people have had multiple accounts here, and have been busted/reported to SWB. But I tend to think most trollish-type posters are usually mentally ill, or are bored and get their kicks by being willfully obnoxious.

Yes.  I see a distinct difference between an internet troll and regularly obnoxious posting habits. The former is almost always either a hit-and-run, or a scam artist.  The hit-and-runs have a low post count and don't stay around long.  The scam artists usually have an established history, spend time garnering a great deal of sympathy with a carefully crafted backstory, and then solicit for funds or material donations -- either directly or indirectly by manipulating other gullible boardies into asking for them -- before they either leave for good or stick around or return to milk the gullibles for a bit more.

This particular board has seen both kinds of trolls.  And, it also has seen its share of just plain, old regularly obnoxious posters of some degree or another.

• Like 4

Good point Audrey - just because someone is insufferably obnoxious doesn't mean they're a troll. They could just be annoying ;)