Menu

Prek / k4 plans for this next year!

Peaceful Isle

I didn't see one of these threads up yet, so I thought I would start one. :) If there is, maybe someone can link to it here. 

What are you ladies using for your little 4 yr olds this next  year?? :) ( or are using for this year, for that matter )

These are my tentative plans :

MP Jr kindergarten read a loud program

MP phonics

BJU k5 math

bob books and early readers

Next year my K4 will be finishing the ETC primers (already done with A) and then starting OPGTR while slowly working through ETC 1 (skipping the writing) and supplementing with Bob books.

He will start next year most of the way through Singapore Essentials A and will finish up the A and B books and perhaps start MM1 slowly.

He will do a lot of fine motor and pre-writing work and do a little gentle handwriting.

Other than that, he will be tagging along with the first grader in:

Poetry Memorization

SOTW 1 and activity guide

Mr. Q Life Science

Down to Earth Geography

Random art exploration and Art Tango lessons

Butchering the 9-Note Recorder Method

Wendy

• Like 1

My DS doesn't turn four until November, but for next year I estimate we'll be doing:

My First Piano Adventures B

Miquon Red

Kumon Cursive Letters

Maps, Charts, and Graphs A (not sure, I may look for an intro history text instead. Is there something suitable for preK that introduces concepts of history, timelines, dates, etc that is not focused on content like SOTW, and is secular?)

Everything else I believe will remain unstructured and through play for another year (Spanish, phonics, violin, etc).

• Like 1

Mine just turned 4 in January. We do a lot of free play here, spend a lot of hours outdoors. Prek and K usually don't last more than an hour altogether, depending on what we are doing But, this second child is nothing like the first who could entertain herself for hours at a time. This one demands some type of structure. So, for structure I have:

Timberdoodle prek (love all the hands-on), replacing English-language stuff for Spanish (letter-learning and literacy activities)

Reading books from Sonlight 3/4 and 4/5

MEP Reception

Shiller math 

HWT prek

R&S preschool workbooks, for when she wants them

Science is whatever she wants to study, or seasonal stuff, I "unschool" science

I also teach some piano

She'll still be in gymnastics, maybe creative movement

I do everything in Spanish except the SL books, unless I have one in translation. We also read a lot of native Spanish works as well. I have "centers" set up, but she's awful about putting things away, so we are doing a lot of training in that area, and in self-control and kindness. A lot of character training with this one...

ETA: Everything after Timberdoodle and Sonlight is just icing. We can work on something from that list, or not. In fact, everything is optional, I'm just using TD and SL as structure.

• Like 1

My third little boy will be four this summer. This year, he has liked the books from Wee Folk Art. Next year, I am intending on a similar sort of plan, but based on animals. I love carving out a time for my early learners and making a point to read picture books to them, and I mainly school two of them together. (DS2 and DS3 are more or less joined at the hip anyway,,never more than a few inches from each other.)

I'll also have a 2yo boy and a first grade boy. I'll be reading SOTW1 aloud, so the little guys will listen along, if they want to. They'll come along for the ride with physical science experiments for the big kids too. They love the flower fairy poems and the picture study.

I may do 100 Easy Lessons with DS3 if he's interested. I have a variety of workbooks and printable counting, writing, phonics sheets, and he likes that stuff to keep himself entertained when I'm working with big kids. He's a lefty, so I should do some writing with him to make sure he develops good habits. I made him some little lefty notebooks so he can draw pictures and dictate stories to me (alongside his big brother).

He loves to paint. More art for him!

We love the Susan Hunt and Richie Hunt books for Bible, plus Bible storybooks and Arch paperbacks.

Our martial arts instructor will try him in class (homeschool class, so all of his siblings will be there too) when he turns four, so that may or may not happen.

Mostly, though, he will probably play trains and build things and make pretend meals in the play kitchen. With two built in playmate buddies and two older siblings to dote on him, he's generally pretty happy and not bored easily.

• Like 1

DD won't be 4 until October, but I'll be starting Prek work with her this Fall because she is OMG READY! (Our school age cut off is Sept 1st.)

She's just finishing up COAH's Letter of the Week and is half way through Rod and Staff's About Three series. She also already knows all her letter sounds.

So, I have lined up:

Rod and Staff's ABC series

Singapore Math Essentials K, books A and B

C-rods and Education Unboxed

Phonics Pathways

WRTR to teach letter formation and phonograms

She'll also be tagging along with her future 1st grader brother in SOTW1, BFSU, and whatever else. Maybe art.

Guest Jlritchey

Fall babies who are ready for more seem to be a theme running here. My November boy (will be 4) is currently working through BFIAR. Next year we have planned

Sonlight P4/5

Singapore earlybird A

HWOT get ready for school

I also need to plan some basic reading stuff. He has his letter sounds down, so we'll probably do a mix of OPGTR and BOB books and who knows what else.

Yup, I also have a fall baby...will be 4 in October. We are doing:

Loe foundations B, C, and some of D

Mep 1

lof apples and butterflies

Critical Thinking Co books

Mbtp 4-5

Kumon books

Random 1x a week rotating early childhood ed class. This 6 weeks it is art. I never know what's coming up so I just consider it a nice bonus.

I also have a nice read aloud list I want to get through. And of course, whatever else she gets interested in.

• Like 1

DS turned 4 in Feburary - he is my first kid, so all of this is subject to change as I figure it out.

Math - We have started doing Right Start Math A and DS absoluetly LOVES it.  We will continue to spend about 15 minutes a day with Right Start (happily staying on a lesson or game for days!)  

Handwriting - Barchowsky Beginner Handwriting, and lots of work to build up hand muscles (play dough, coloring, digging in dirt, cutting with scissors etc).

Phonics -Phonics Pathways, probably starting sometime around December when winter cold keeps us inside. Until then we will play rhyming games and identifying letter sounds.

We will also conintue with the stuff we already do as a family (reading together, reciting poems while brushing teeth, lots of music, playing/working outside, helping with household work, way too much television, coloring pictures for grandma, etc, etc, etc,)

• Like 3

DS2 will be doing a pre-k year next year alongside DS5 (K / 1st year).

DS2 specifically will be:

Following along with a modified Memoria Press Level 1 core: DS2 will only be doing the first First Start Reading book, and will not be required to do any recitation (he will listen in and do what he can - speech delayed), otherwise he will be doing the core with DS5.

Rod & Staff's preschool and pre-k books

C-rod play

My 4.5 year old will be doing a mix of K4 and PK.

Right Start A (with no writing)

100 Easy Lessons (we've already started it but will keep going)

Suggested read Alouds from Sonlight

Kumon books to work on fine motor skills which are a bit behind

Memorizing nursery rhymes and personal information

Little passports subscription to do with dad

• Like 1

My youngest, turning 4 in June, will be in K-4 next year.  Because she has six older siblings, I picked things that work for both K-4 and K, and plan to work through it as we're able.  I imagine it will take us until partway into her K year to finish it, but that will  be fine.

My plan:

Little Hands to Heaven

Get Ready/Get Set/Go for the Code books

MathUSee primer

Winterpromise Journeys into Imagination

Science for Tots set (from Timberdoodle)

Blessings,

Laura

• Like 1

My son will be 5 in November but when we start in the fall, I will still consider this a preschool year. He is a great listener and loves stories and he listens to complicated, long stories without a problem. He sits still fine for stories (45 minutes to an hour of reading aloud isn't unusual), but will not sit for writing, workbooks, paper crafts, or any of those kinds of activities. He is my last kid and I just want to have fun with him, all of my other kids are older and I don't have any desire to rush academics.

I was thinking about MFK but am not sure he will sit for the phonics worksheets and I think that can wait. The rest of the program would be a good fit though. Wee Folk Art looks like a great mix of stories he would enjoy and plenty of activities that we can pick and choose from, I will just skip the ones he's not interested in. I may try the ETC Get Ready books as recommended, but if he's not on board I'll have to figure out a different way to cover phonics with him. He knows all of his letter sounds but has no interest in learning to read, so I think to get him reading eventually, I will have to find a phonics program that is mroe games based and active.

So I'm tenatively planning on doing Wee Folk Art, Games for Math or RightStart A or I also have Kitchen Table Math, and Get Ready for the Code or phonics games.

Typing this out helped, because I just realized he would love to do more science exploration/nature study type things. I think there's some of that in Wee Folk Art but I might have to add something. Mudpies to Magnets or a Little Hands book or something?

• Like 1

My son just turned 4 this past month (April), and we did MP Jr. K this year.  He loved it so even though I did not want to do anything too heavy for Pre-K and K   I am going to go ahead and follow the path he is on.  I am planning on implementing slowly and taking his lead if he doesn't feel like doing it that day I am not pushing him.  I don't plan on doing "school work" longer than 30-45 min. a day (not counting reading time).  I know I am overthinking everything it is hard to hold him back too much since he is already reading and he is very mathy too.  Huhhh...decisions.  I am all ears if anyone would like to send advice.  :)

Tenative plan for Pre-K

• MP Kindergarten
  • Lots of Read alouds, this kid LOVES to read (has been reading for long stretches of time talking 1-2 hrs. at a time since he was 2)  :) 
  • Nature time outside, continue our nature journal and science experiments with brothers
  • Will continue Song School Latin, (just listening to the songs and books on tape that are Latin and German)  Muzzy videos (German)
  • AWANA - did this last year and did awesome so we plan on continuing (he really enjoyed this)
  • Going to try to continue My First Piano Adventures Book

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, everyone on here really has it together! I'm just starting with all this so I'm just doing 15-20 minute intervals of various activities: motor skills, puzzles, nature walks (collecting bits and pieces), Song School Latin, and reviewing letters/numbers. 

I've just looked about all the programs ya'll are using so I'll try to wade through all that.

And would someone explain the following:

TOG

MUS

HWOT

BFIAR

WRTR

BJU

SOTW

OPGTR

ETC

Thanks!

Wow, everyone on here really has it together! I'm just starting with all this so I'm just doing 15-20 minute intervals of various activities: motor skills, puzzles, nature walks (collecting bits and pieces), Song School Latin, and reviewing letters/numbers. 

I've just looked about all the programs ya'll are using so I'll try to wade through all that.

And would someone explain the following:

TOG

MUS

HWOT

BFIAR

WRTR

BJU

SOTW

OPGTR

ETC

Thanks!

I know there is an abbreviation sticky somewhere on the board, but I don't know where, so I'll take a stab at your list...

TOG = Tapestry of Grace

MUS = Math U See

HWOT = Handwriting Without Tears

BFIAR = Before Five in a Row

WRTR = Writing Road to Reading

BJU = Bob Jones University

SOTW = Story of the World

OPGTR = Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading

ETC = Explode the Code

Wendy

• Like 2

My DD turned 4 in February. Mostly this year we are concentrating on reading - she does Starfall phonics as well as OPGTR and then is reading beginning readers - slowly moving into Sonlight's Grade 1 and 2 reader list. Obviously she has numerous read alouds too - both chapter and picture books, but also with many non-fiction topics.

She is keen on Math so has been doing various Math workbooks, although new concepts I teach through hands on activities - unlike her older sister she likes workbooks more than the hands on activities so this is new for me - every book we read or word we learn through reading she wants a colouring page or worksheet.

Have started handwriting with her and will see where that leads, mostly just letter formation for now, moving to short copywork once she knows all the letter formation.

She joins my eldest for science though usually this means doing a pre-requisite science topic (from BFSU1) with her which involves similar experiments to the ones the elder is doing or experiments that are easily adjustable to teach both different elements of science.

Ds will be 4 is summer, beating our district's cutoff by 22 days. So he would be very young if he went to PS prek this year. But, he seems scary smart like his dad so we are rolling with it. Here is my plan for him for now. I'm sure something will change.

-Ambleside year 0 booklist

-Wee Folk Art seasons curriculum

-Saxon K math

He's welcome to follow along with big sis whenever he likes. Plus waaaay more reading than just the booklist. He brings me books to read him every 20 minutes some days!

• 2 weeks later...

We did K-4 last year.  I had done a year of Letter of the week from confessions of a homeschooler, so she knew letters and sounds going into K4.

For K-4, we did (very loose schedule) 
All About Reading 1 and Readingeggs.com
Math U See Primer, Singapore Earlybirds A (I didn't like earlybirds, DD loved it)
Classical Conversations

We still have some work to do in AAR and MUS.  We'll pick back up with them in the fall.

DD will be 4 in August...

- Memoria Press Enrichment and Craft Suppliment for Kindergarten (with her 6 year old sister)

- Bede's History of US, with added picture books (with her 6 year old sister)

- Reading... unsure yet. I have too many programs and I don't like any of them right now.

- Singapore K math (sweet, gentle, easy)

- Science.. unsure.

- Rod&Staff preschool workbooks (she's finished the "about three" series, so we'll move onto the A-whatever series)

- Timberdoodle PreK

My DS is 4.5 right now and we are planning:

Bible time and memory with daddy

MUS primer

Phonics Pathways

BFIAR (with manual and no obsessive lap booking) and lots of reading

pre-writing with mazes and dot-to-dots type books (which he LOVES) and cutting/gluing skills
maybe piano...he is begging and I teach piano, so we will start to mess with that.  Lots of work with First Steps in Music regardless.  

halfway through our PreK year here (calendar year schoolers)

100 Easy Lessons (started halfway through the year)

Explode the code (did get ready for the code before this)

I See Sam Books

D'nealian Handwriting K

Mathematical Reasoning A (K level)

Two plus two is not Five (starting soon)

Building Thinking Skills Beginning

Hands on Thinking Skills

Some other CTC supplements

Some maze books and sticker books and Kumon cutting books and other things for fine motor skills

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Thishumblehome

Dd also has a fall birthday (turning 4). We did a lot of PreK learning activities this spring. By September 1st she will be halfway through 100 easy lessons. She's completed every preK workbook I can get my hands on! And she is halfway through HOP K (not my favorite but she likes all the stories for now). So that leaves us in a rough spot when trying to decide what to do next!

Here is my plan:

Little hearts for his glory: using the storybook bible and Jesus calling for bible, $ store workbooks for handwriting, and adding the science book that is recommended, and using the history that is included

Phonics/reading:

Complete 100EZ

Complete HOP k

ETC as supplement if needed

Horizons phonics k when finished to strengthen phonics skills (she loves workbooks so this should be enjoyable for her)

FIAR (we will probably only row a book every other week)

Work through books in honey for a child's heart

Math:

Horizons Math K

PE: soccer and swim for the fall

My sixth child turned 4 in May.  We are going to do Recipe for Reading K (if she isn't ready for the writing in the workbook I will either wait and just pull it out at the beginning of each month and see if she is ready yet or I will work with her using the manual for a few minutes a day.  We are also going to do number cards and then move into  math flashcards.  I will have her copy the 100 number chart at least once this year when her writing skills permit.  I have seen fruit from doing that with my third and fourth kiddos.  

Also, I read a story (either Bible, history/science, or fiction) to my little ones each day and have them do a drawing and an oral narration, which I write down for them in their composition journal.  Each night they present their page to Daddy and tell him what they learned.  

We also do a lot of singing and memory work songs and just music appreciation through listening.  They also do a lot of drawing, starting with either Ed Emberly books or Draw Write Now (or both).  They also do a lot of child-led crafts with materials from the dollar store, which helps with their fine motor skills.

That's it!!

I'm really trying NOT to organize my 4 year old. Her learning style seems to be very different from her older sister and I haven't figured out what she'd like yet. That said, I wish she'd show some interest in any type of phonics play or in learning to read. I feel like it is taking my older one a long time to learn and I worry that I'll be reading full curriculums to two soon.

My younger daughter will be 4 in August. She is a pretty good reader, so all I'm planning is to read books, Saxon Math K (which we already had) a few times a week, and HWT. I might also start the cards in AAS 1 with her to make sure she actually knows all the sounds of each letter because I notice some guessing when she reads aloud to herself.

dd turned 4 in March.  We'll do LOE A and B, Singapore Essentials B and then Miquon Orange, Nature Study and history/geography picture books with older siblings.  She also sits on on 1-2 hrs of readalouds daily.

• 2 weeks later...

My son will be 5 in November. We will be reading reading reading aloud from puffin classic books like Peter Pan and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, etc. We will also be reading heaps of picture story books in the subject areas of art, American history, roman history, the jesus story book bible, psalms, parables, and poetry. I plan to make a flora and fauna scrapbook from our nature walks referencing our Australian specimen identification books. We'll be listening to one classical composer a month for an hour or more a day, and playing with math manipulatives to practice adding and subtracting numbers to 10, counting by 2s and 10s and basic fractions. We are going to work through the phonics lessons in the ordinary parents guide and reading Bob books. And using the Zaner-Bloser handwriting book. I also plan to begin teaching him french vocab as I can throughout the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an early reader. He's very bright, but needs a bit more work in social skills, managing his emotions,etc. If we need to back off the work, and just let him play, we will.

Hymn and prayer time

Singapore math essentials K

AAS1

Five in a row?

Practice reading aloud

We will start with tracing letter in sand, lentils, etc, and go back to HWT when he is ready.

Daily read alouds and craft or game time

Maybe soccer in February