Menu

Fashionistas: Help me go shopping for spring clothes!

PeachyDoodle

The good news: I've lost almost 75 lbs. I haven't been this size since I was 14. Yay!

The bad news: I have almost literally NOTHING to wear for warmer weather. I also no longer need to shop at plus-size stores, which means I have no clue where to go to buy anything.

I'm 36. I'd like to look put-together, but not trendy. I need a couple of nice dresses (preferably something I can dress up or down, depending on the occasion) but mostly I wear casual clothes -- jeans and tops, etc. This is the first time in my life that I've enjoyed buying clothes, and I am lost!

So help me out, fashionistas! Where's your favorite place to shop? What's your go-to, pulled-together, mom-on-the-go spring/summer outfit? Where should I start? Talk to me like I'm a four-year-old, because I'm not exaggerating when I say I'm terrible at this!

• Like 7

Congratulations!  I'd start first with a good bra and then hit the mall and wander around until you find a display that catches your eye.  I'd also suggest asking for help from the sale team.  They know the inventory and can help you pull together a wardrobe that will work for you.  

• Like 2

I've gotten a lot of good stuff at JCPenney in recent years. Target is good, but more for trends than staples, I'd say. I keep looking at Old Navy, but I can't justify the cost for the low quality, so I'd skip it.

I highly recommend picking out a color palette and sticking with it when you're shopping. I've been doing this for the last couple years and everything in my closet matches everything else.All my shoes match all my outfits, all my accessories match everything I own. It's beyond brilliant. I got the idea from this post.

My pulled together, mom on the go outfit in the summer is bottoms (usually jeans or long-ish shorts), a top and a necklace with a pair of flats or gladiator-ish sandles. In the fall and spring it's jeans, top, cardigan, boots or flats, and a necklace. Basically taken from these mom on the go formulas.

• Like 2

For jeans, The Buckle. They are one of the few mall stores out there with decent customer service. They will find you jeans in a style you like, load you up with pairs to try on, and take them away from the dressing room and deliver you new pairs to try on. When you find ones that fit well, they hem them for free and you pick them up in a few days. The prices are a little obscene (about $80 a pair) but I have never loved jeans so much. They fit like they were designed for me. (And I've gained unneeded weight, so it takes a lot to make me like jeans!) ETA: don't get put off entering the store. They usually put their bedazzled jeans up front, but they have non-glittery ones further back.

For shirts and dresses, Ann Taylor makes a lot of great things for women and is my go-to brand. Well made, grown up without being old. I have an outlet store near me and load up during Memorial Day and Black Friday sales.

Last but not least, Target and Old Navy. But they have comfy basic t-shirts and often have some great, simple summer dresses. They don't cost as much, but the clothes generally don't last as long.

Having mentioned the sales - a lot of stores do huge Memorial Day sales. If you can pick up a few things and then hit those sales, you'll likely save 25-50% off summer stuff.

• Like 2

Congrats!  How exciting!

I'm not a fashionista, and tend more toward the bohemian type stuff if I'm not in jeans and t-shirts, but I just ordered  few things from april cornell, and I'm pretty happy with them.  Important to note: I love april cornell on a piece by piece basis.  I love the quality, but don't go for the flowery old fashioned look, so I'll usually find a piece or two of hers each year that I like, but overall I don't order a wardrobe from her.  

This year I like this top:  http://www.aprilcornell.com/product/Frannie-Ladies-Blouse-BLA5176Y-White/blouses...Oops, I was going to link the other items, but they're already gone.  Wow, that was fast - just got them last week.  

• Like 1

For basics, I go to Old Navy and Kohl's.  I buy only on sale/clearance.  I rarely buy clothes anywhere but these two places.  I am a 48 year old, size 12, tall, slightly overweight, kinda conservative dressing mom.  I mostly wear jeans, and I like layers with flowy sweaters on top and a cute tank underneath.  I don't show upper arms, and I don't wear shorts.  

For the summer, I like maxi dresses, long skirts (Old Navy and The Gap - bodywear), capri jeans or pants and t shirts with flip flops or ballet flats.  I also have a pair of purple Converse and a tshirt that says "World's Okayest Mom", if that gives you an idea of my style.  I have to force myself to branch out much.

• Like 2

Check out Get Your Pretty On (GYPO) & Pinterest Told Me To (PTMT)

GYPO has style challenges (spring is coming up). I have participated in 2 & they were well worth the $$. I now have a beautiful fall/winter wardrobe that is in style but not trendy. I can't wait for the spring challenge bc I have no clue what to wear without her guidance!

PTMT is a fashion blog & she is hilarious. She posts good deals (typically Nordstrom) and also at least one outfit a week.

Congrats on the weight loss!!

• Like 2

I buy almost every stitch of clothing second hand. Some really good stuff can be found at thrift stores and charity shops and since you haven't yet developed your own sense of style yet, the risk of buying something that doesn't work is lessened. www.thethriftshopper.com/ is searchable by zip code, lists all the stores' hours, and rates them.

Consignment shops, too, are great. I'm particularly fond of Buffalo Exchange, but an internet search will pull up more and usually if a city has a Buffalo Exchange, it'll be located in a neighborhood with many other such shops.

I also love online shopping- thredup.com is online consignment. You'll have to be careful with the sizing because of vanity sizing, so it's important to look up individual designer's sizing charts. Diane von Furstenburg, for example, has not vanity sized her lines and so a 6 now was a 6 forty years ago.

Lastly, I think the most important thing is to dress your body type. Are you petite? Tall? Hourglass? Inverted Triangle? A Pear? This will all change how clothing looks on you.

• Like 3

I second Youlookfab. I look at her ideas and recreate with second hand items. When I lost weight I went to a nice Goodwill for everyday pieces until I got used to my size and found my style. There was so much I hadn't worn it took awhile for my style to evolve. I'd look at websites and at the outfits put together on mannequins to find ideas of what I might like. Even for my " nice" things though I'd keep it to less expensive things until you sort of settle in with what you like.

• Like 2

So many good suggestions! Thank you!

GYPO has style challenges (spring is coming up). I have participated in 2 & they were well worth the $$. I now have a beautiful fall/winter wardrobe that is in style but not trendy. I can't wait for the spring challenge bc I have no clue what to wear without her guidance!

PTMT is a fashion blog & she is hilarious. She posts good deals (typically Nordstrom) and also at least one outfit a week.

I think GYPO is exactly what I need right now! I signed up for her email list and got last year's spring challenge for free. I was pleasantly surprised that the shopping list wasn't huge. I think I should be able to find and afford those things pretty easily. I still have some weight to lose, so I don't want to spend a fortune in case everything is too big again next year (fingers crossed)! One of my problems is that I get so overwhelmed when I walk into a store. I can manage to buy a complete outfit, but I am terrible at getting things that are versatile and work with what I already have at home. Maybe this will help me develop that skill.

Visit The Daily Connoisseur website or buy the Madame Chic book. She has lots of good videos about mixing and matching with a capsule wardrobe.

My standard spring wardrobe is a variety of t shirts in favorite colors (I nearly always go with Old Navy or Gap because of wide size and style selection), a pair of dark wash jeans, a couple pairs of casual slacks (The Limited is great for lots of sizes),a maxi skirt in a neutral color, and a camel or grey cardigan. A couple of sleeveless or short sleeve dresses that make you feel pretty too. Loft is a good place to find these, but I've also had good luck at JC Penney. White jeans are a wild card item for the brave.

Most important is shoes, bags, scarves, and jewelry. Anything can look amazing with right accessories. My fave spots are TJMaxx and Marshalls for shoes and bags. I have found great jewelry at The Limited and Chicos, but even Target has fun stuff if you hit it right.

Accessories are my Achilles' heel. I am HORRIBLE at accessorizing. If it wasn't for my sister, I wouldn't own any jewelry. She forced me to wear a scarf for the first time this winter -- I always thought they looked ridiculous with my large bust, but it turns out that they don't if you tie them correctly (who knew? well, and a smaller bust didn't hurt). Unfortunately she lives six hours away so she can't dress me every day. Idk how she got all the fashion genes. (Then again, she's tall and skinny to my short and dumpy, so fashion genes aren't the only good ones she got! :p )

I buy almost every stitch of clothing second hand. Some really good stuff can be found at thrift stores and charity shops and since you haven't yet developed your own sense of style yet, the risk of buying something that doesn't work is lessened. www.thethriftshopper.com/ is searchable by zip code, lists all the stores' hours, and rates them.

Consignment shops, too, are great. I'm particularly fond of Buffalo Exchange, but an internet search will pull up more and usually if a city has a Buffalo Exchange, it'll be located in a neighborhood with many other such shops.

I also love online shopping- thredup.com is online consignment. You'll have to be careful with the sizing because of vanity sizing, so it's important to look up individual designer's sizing charts. Diane von Furstenburg, for example, has not vanity sized her lines and so a 6 now was a 6 forty years ago.

Lastly, I think the most important thing is to dress your body type. Are you petite? Tall? Hourglass? Inverted Triangle? A Pear? This will all change how clothing looks on you.

My body has changed a lot! I am short and curvy, probably more of an hourglass. I'm pretty hippy but have shoulders and a bust too, and a well-defined waist (that unfortunately still has a muffin-top, but that's going away!). I guess at 5'2" I would be considered petite, although my bone structure is not tiny. That makes me leery of some things -- like the maxi skirts/dresses that are so popular. I'm just not sure that look would work on me. But I think I've got to try a few things and see. Things fit so much differently than they used to!

Given your height and body shape:

Do's:

Shirts and dresses that are fitted at the waist or cinch with a thickish belt

Stay with monochromatic or similarly shaded- dark and dark or light and light tops and bottoms to elongate you

Don't's:

Avoid bulky fabrics, especially sweaters like cable-knit. Think twin sets.

Avoid baby doll shapes, you've got curves, show 'em off

Split yourself in half with a light top and dark bottom or vice versa

HTH!

• Like 1

Thank you for posting this. GYPO is great. I think I'll try the spring challenge coming up next week. It will give me some direction instead of just buying random things that never go together and i like her style. 

Thank you for posting this. GYPO is great. I think I'll try the spring challenge coming up next week. It will give me some direction instead of just buying random things that never go together and i like her style. 

I got the spring and summer challenge lists from last year and combined them (because it gets hot here early and I need more summer clothes than spring). I've been looking around online and already bought a few pieces. We should have a GYPO thread to show off our new outfits!

• Like 1

I do a lot of my shopping at Goodwill. 

We're about the same age. I'm 35, and I like to look pulled-together. 

Personally, I have gone away from jeans and denim. I like to wear colored shorts or pants combined with a more neutral (gray or navy or denim) top. In the summer (and I live in the desert), I like to wear colorful shorts, and a button-down shirt with the sleeves rolled up to my elbows. Cute shoes (slip ons or sandals- not tennis shoes) are a definite must. Also accessories- I tend to do simple things such as earrings/necklace or a brooch. 

Here's a few examples of looks I typically do or like:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/208643395213053588/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/208643395210390964/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/208643395210244475/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/208643395210298851/

I personally like mixing a bright solid color (say, pink or green) with a neutral print (such as navy gingham). 

• Like 1