Menu

What clothing items did you buy when freshmen were heading off?

Ginevra

I think this depends on the climate of your dc's college. Ds was headed to California, so we bought him a good pair of flip flops and Chacos (sp??) sandals. He did buy some new, nicer short-sleeved shirts - not golf shirts - button-up, poplin-type shirts. He had to wear golf shirts for his school uniform and may never wear those again! OTOH, if you were headed to a much colder climate, different items would be necessary. I have heard for cold college destinations, it is better to wait and see what others have and perhaps shop locally. Or at least shop on-line based on common brands that one sees. Not to be brand-conscious, but to get good quality items. People from cold climates know better what is needed and what brands are preferred.

I do think girls are more challenging. They just seem to need more of everything and need a wider variety of clothing. I would suggest taking at least one true formal dress. For a young man, definitely take a suit. I would NOT buy lots of new t-shirts. I think ds has received gobs of those from different on-campus events, organizations, and groups.

Take LOTS of underwear. A raincoat is an excellent suggestion.

Hopefully, those with daughters will chime in.

• Like 2

The warmest LL Bean coat she would accept.  And some warm but not too ugly boots that she will actually wear.

A nice backpack that she picked out that is a little more secure than the one she had in high school.

Long underwear and an assortment of warm socks.

We live in CA and she was moving to Chicago--enough said.

• Like 1

We didn't buy a lot for my son in terms of normal, everyday clothing. Mostly, he needed more dance gear, because I knew he would not have the time and energy to focus on washing stuff every couple of days and hanging it all to dry, as I do when he's home. I knew he'd have dance classes and/or rehearsals several days a week and might need more than one set of dance stuff a day (because he often -- sorry! -- sweats through the first set during a serious class). We hit the Under Armour outlet and stocked him up. 

We also bought him more socks and underwear, again because I knew he wouldn't do laundry as often as I do.

He knew he wanted a new jacket, but he couldn't find one he liked before move-in day. So, we ended up just giving him a budget, and he went shopping with friends one weekend and found just what he wanted.

Edited to add: He had ended up needing a new suit for a couple of social events at the beginning of that summer. We made a point of buying something nice hoping it will see him through any formal occasions for the first couple of years of school, too.

I think that's about it.

• Like 1

I'm not sure I'd know how to dress a girl.  ;)

My FL boy got (some) new scuba gear, Hawaiian shirts, shorts, sandals, underwear, a hammock, a welcome mat that would hold wet footwear and keep the water on it, new sheets, a mattress pad, and an umbrella.

My NY boy got new boots, socks, a warm coat (bought in NY), sweaters, shirts, casual pants, underwear, new sheets, a welcome mat that would hold wet footwear and keep the water on it, a mattress pad, and an umbrella.

MY GA boy got some new clothes, both warm and cool, new sheets, a mattress pad, and a new suit.  (The other two had suits from oldest's wedding.)

I suppose some of those aren't clothes, but I'm too lazy to go back and edit.

With boys, underwear lasts twice as long since they can turn them inside out.   :lol:

• Like 2

I reckoned he needed a week's worth or stuff plus some variety.  He had most of what he needed but I bought him three pairs of jeans (he picked them up when he was in the US, because we couldn't find the size here) and a good pair of comfortable leather shoes.  Oh, and some new PJs, as the old ones were a bit frightening and a slightly less disreputable sweater.

• Like 1

I reckoned he needed a week's worth or stuff plus some variety.  He had most of what he needed but I bought him three pairs of jeans (he picked them up when he was in the US, because we couldn't find the size here) and a good pair of comfortable leather shoes.  Oh, and some new PJs, as the old ones were a bit frightening and a slightly less disreputable sweater.

:laugh:

• Like 1

We just bought ds another suit. He is going to have an internship this summer that requires him to dress up. I've known many kids in college who left with nothing but casual clothes, and then had interviews, internships, conferences in which they represented their college, etc., and needed dress clothes ASAP. If they have money in their account and time to shop, that's one thing. But, if they find out they need it in three days and have exams to study for that's a problem. Or in the case of MTU students they are 1.5 from the Kohl's and Jc Penney in Marquette and Walmart is the only place in Houghton to shop, so the school keeps Van Heusen men's and women's suits, shirts, and accessories plus dress shoes in a wide variety of sizes in the book store, but they charge a mega premium for them. When I looked around, it appeared that in order to pull together one business dress outfit a student would be charging $400 + to their account and that didn't include shoes. So I would definitely make sure my student took at least one business dress outfit plus dress shoes to school.

Socks. I don't know about anyone else, but my boys' feet sweat more than their sister's ever did. So more than a week's worth of socks is a must.

Waterproof boots for anyone going to college north of the Ohio River Valley and west of the Mississippi. The Midwest in particular is often at or barely above sea level, the land takes a long time to dry when the snow melts, and then the spring rains start and well, it's a sloppy mess out there. Though not a clothing item, a mat to dry them on or some other storage so they don't have to track it through their dorm room. This is especially important if they have carpet or area rugs in their room.

• Like 1

Well my ds has a lot of underwear.

As he neared the end of high school and it was clear he was full height, I bought a few things and stated this is the last ------ I will buy. Things like winter coats, rain coats, hiking boots. These are things that can last year's and should. If ds actually was still getting taller I'd replace such items through college (and continue to pass hand me downs to younger brother).

I expect to help him maintain or replenish a few items for professional wardrobe through college (suit, ties, a couple of dress shirts, khakis in good condition, polo shirt in good condition, dress shoes). I didn't buy jeans, shorts, t shirts, hoodies, sneakers, unless what he had was in get rid of condition (didn't fit or too ratty).

So, I guess I didn't buy anything "going to college" specific. Unless there is a big change in climate or the school/degree program necessitates specific clothing, I don't plan to for dd when she goes.

• Like 1

Young women and young men are so different!   I will agree with needing lots of underwear especially for reading period and finals week, but do not think for a second that they will be turning anything inside out to extend their use.   :lol:    Then again, some seem to consider finals week grunginess some sort of badge of honor. :svengo:

I think what you buy will depend entirely on what they already have and what they need.  Some keep it all casual and can get by with relatively little, and others like variety and have clothing for any occasion.  What I would keep in mind is that how your daughter already is is not likely to change significantly just by virtue of attending college.   I would consider these to be some must haves for some though.  Outerwear appropriate for the climate and all that goes along with that, backpack/messenger bag, business casual outfits, casual clothing or whatever they normally wear, work-out clothing appropriate to indoor and outdoor temps, bathing suit, shoes/boots as appropriate, shower shoes/flip-flops, bathrobe, slippers?, pjs, sweats, a business outfit, formal gown, and hats and accessories as needed.  They don't have to have it all before they get there.  Part of the fun is shopping locally with their new friends.  I'd avoid overbuying ahead of time as some do pick up on the styles worn by the majority on campus.  I would make sure that they have all the bedding and towels and such that they'll need right away.  Orientation is very busy and there's little time for shopping.  Some $$ for them to spend at the bookstore for them to show their school pride is also nice, and they may be getting some t-shirts during orientation and special events.

• Like 4

Faithmanor is right about the backpack.  The other item we spent on was shoes and boots.  He goes to school in a cold and very snowy place, and walking all over campus required a decent, hard-wearing pair of low boots.  He also picked out 2 good pairs of shoes that he is still wearing 2 1\2 years later.  Otherwise his clothing needs are extremely simple and he tends to wear things until they are completely tattered, AND he likes to keep minimal clothing to avoid having to wash so much clothing.  I suspect he wears things MANY times without a wash-except for undies and socks which he has plenty of.

• Like 1

Catherine, so true! We found for dd that Timberland boots wore very well. As a matter of fact, black Timberlands were her go-to choice for paramedic uniform as well since her EMS did not provide footwear, only pants, shirt, and coat.

Her Timberlands lasted four years and then she needed ones that looked newer for work so she handed them down to our youngest boy who wore them until he outgrew them, probably one year. Then I handed them down to a family at church who is still using them.

I have a pair of insulated equestrian boots from back in my horsey days - black, very nice looking - that I paid $80.00 for which felt steep at the time, but on the other hand, I can't complain because I can still clean and polish them and they look practically new, great with jeans or dress pants. Mountain Horse is the brand.

• Like 1

We focused on good quality, versatile basics.

Over the years, my kids have taken the following; keep in mind that this is for multiple kids going to multiple locations:

Good everyday walking shoes.  Footwear for wet and/or snowy days.  Good warm socks.  An all-around athletic shoe.  Ice skates.

Basic everyday clothes that are easy to wash, wear, and coordinate with other items.  (Dresses are a quick all-in-one look; separates, if they are carefully chosen, can be combined to create multiple looks - think seasonal capsule wardrobe.)

A versatile little black dress with a skirt that's around knee length, for presentations and interviews.  

A nice pair of pants, white shirt, tie, sport jacket, and dress shoes.

A larger cross-body bag for city walking.  

A really good, big backpack for books.  The Jansport Big Student is about as big as you can get, and ours have held up well to use and abuse.

A bathing suit, goggles, and a large towel (which can double as an extra bath towel).

Something to wear when trying a new kind of athletics or doing casual sports.

Enough undies for 15 days - two weeks plus something to wear while you wash the rest.

PJ's that you can wear in public.  (Sweatpants, yoga pants, pj pants)

A good winter coat.  Warm hat, warm mittens, waterproof gloves for snow.

A polar fleece pullover or jacket, for when you don't feel like wearing the seriously warm winter coat.

Outerwear for rain.

A Halloween costume; the kind that is made up of regular clothes with subtle added touches (arm patch with logo, accessories like a specific style of hat or sunglasses) rather than the kind that screams I AM IN COSTUME.

All that said, it's also useful to take the smallest amount of stuff possible, as dorms are small, so swapping out seasonal stuff can be useful.

We have found thrift shops to be a good source of certain kinds of basics; make your list and start looking now for the fall.

• Like 1

My dd went to college 20 minutes away.  So no climate change.  And in terms of clothing, nothing new was bought for the occasion.  DD had been buying her own clothes for a couple years so I didn't buy anything in that realm.  I did outfit her dorm room with stuff - sheets, towels, dishes, etc.  Organizational stuff.

Now when she went to Germany, climate change!  So I bought her a new outerwear jacket and wool socks.

Techwife and everyone else...  how much to take?  Everything that is seasonal.  Leave enough at home for a weekend at home if they are close.  If they are a couple hours, take it all.  Hey, if they run out of underwear, they have to do laundry.  

In Germany, it won't really warm up until May so dd took mostly winter stuff.  A few short sleeves that she can wear under a sweater now and then on there own later.  Plus she has purchased clothes over there as well.  I brought her winter coat (see above) home with us last week so she has the space to bring more home with her.

• Like 1

When DD21 left for college, we had to change over her wardrobe from ratty jeans and sweatshirts to performance clothes and shorts (she was headed south).  The item she asked for her first Christmas at college was a raincoat.

When DS19 left for college, besides the obligatory socks and underwear, we got him a few more flannel shirts, warm gloves and a scarf to go with the gear he already had (he was headed north).

• Like 1

We have found thrift shops to be a good source of certain kinds of basics; make your list and start looking now for the fall.

You read my mind, because this was part of my idea.

• Like 1

You are all quite magnificent.  Nobody bought me even a damn pencil when I went to school. 

Sparkly, :grouphug:

My second roommate's parents didn't get anything for her either. Oh, wait, just a minute. That's not true. They sent her with a ziplock bag of condoms.

That was it.

That is why I make appropriate clothing happen for my son....my college winter coat was usarmy issued rotc....not really the best item for making an impression when interviewing for summer internships. An aunt noticed at Thanksgiving and gave me something more appropriate.

I had decent clothing, but it was just one more thing I had to buy.  I worked a lot.  I sometimes wondered where the money went because I was still broke.  But that's where the money went.  Necessities. 

• Like 1

Well that would have been something.  LOL

Yah! Her comment to me was, "I'll use them all and then some." I didn't say anything but I thought, "I hope the 'then some' means buying more because otherwise, YIKES!"

She was a "live one" I'll say that. Failed out of school rather spectacularly. I don't think her parents were amused, but I'd hazard a guess, given their choice of "parting gift", that they were not surprised.

• Like 2

Yah! Her comment to me was, "I'll use them all and then some." I didn't say anything but I thought, "I hope the 'then some' means buying more because otherwise, YIKES!"

She was a "live one" I'll say that. Failed out of school rather spectacularly. I don't think her parents were amused, but I'd hazard a guess, given their choice of "parting gift", that they were not surprised.

One of my roommates (the one semester I lived on campus) was a lady with traditional Indian parents.  She was one of the few who had a car.  Her job?  She worked for a sex phone line.  Her parents had no idea.  Hehe

(edited..typos...I think I'm coming down with something...ugh...)

• Like 2

Though it isn't a clothing item, I cannot emphasize enough the need for a good quality book bag. Anyone who has managed to find one that lasted for four years should please post links or names of manufacturers here. We never found one that lasted dd that long.

I second the Jansport suggestion for a backpack.  I found ds' Jansport bag during a clearance sale when he was still being homeschooled (about two years before he went to ps.)  He's been using the same bag all four years of ps high school and even with his copious books and binders, I have yet to see a single fray or broken buckle or zipper.  The only drawback is the bag was from an era where laptops were not a necessity so if he brings the same backpack to college, I'll need to look for a laptop sleeve.  Or get a new bag altogether...but this old one is really still in great shape.

Just a heads up, I had to buy my ds a nice suit for a scholarship interview and found a great one at Banana Republic, which is someplace we normally don't shop at because of price, but they had several styles that were 70% off and had sizes made for really tall, skinny young men. The 6'3, maybe 150lb boy, was hard to shop for to find something that didn't just fall off his waist.

• Like 1

Other than good winter clothing the items that were most useful for dd came from Gap Body. Workout clothes, pajamas, lounging pants, comfy shirts and shorts, etc. - they all wash easily, dry fast, and can be layered. She also took a few pairs of jeans and a couple of nice dresses for special events.

ETA: We did not go out and buy a new wardrobe; just filled in here and there with a few new items.