Menu

Ignore this thread!

I have started on the DVDs, BTW, and they are FABULOUS.

Yes, I sit in their booth and weep at every convention. They have a tv and they play the DVDs so people just walk up and start listening.

Edited by Slache
  • Like 1

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

In other news, good things may come to those who procrastinate. I was a lazy beekeeper this winter, since I lost both the hives in the fall. I never got around to cleaning up the old hives. Both hives are currently the subject of great interest by the bees around here. One of them has bees going in and out of it as if they own the place. I don't know if they are scouting, or if there is already a swarm in there. Too late in the day to check, but you bet I'll be watching it in the next few days to see what they do with it!

I'm jealous of your beehives!  We all took a beekeeping class last spring...husband, kids and I.  But as much as DH and I want to start with bees, we determined that the cost was too great for now.  We need hobbies that will generate an income and, with the current state of bees dying off as rapidly as they have been, it would end up costing us in the long run.  

Plus...we don't really have much time.  

But one day!  

• Like 3

I really don't know what these bees are up to. But they sure were not happy with me getting too close to that hive. I set up a couple of other potential hive bodies for bees that are scouting right now. We are already seeing swarms, and I'm not the only person with bees around here. The chance of me having a swarm at least swing by the place is pretty good.

• Like 1

In case anyone was wondering, I look ridiculous in workout clothes at this point.

Me too, and I'm not even pregnant. Which reminds me that I dreamed last night that I was on a bus tour of Vienna/Austria. We made a short stop at an almost empty Christmas village market and I was trying to figure out the cost of these nice jams. And then I discovered they accept credit cards. And then I realized my tour bus was leaving. And then I realized I was 7 months pregnant and probably shouldn't go sprinting down the highway after the bus.

• Like 6

Yay or nay? Matt and I are in disagreement.

Eta: I think it's gorgeous but I don't like the mileage. I've never bought a van before.

I would be a nay. To me, that seems high. Over 100k is just too much mileage for me. They usually go downhill pretty fast at that point. I think I would be inclined to save more and keep looking to get an executive driven or lower mileage option. But that is just my opinion lol.

Good luck.

It would be a Slache-van, nanananananana. You know, like Batman :D

• Like 3

7yodd asked if we could listen to music. So, I asked her if she wanted Classical, Christian, Star Wars, Rock or Folk (that's all the genre's, right?). She said Folk. So, we're listening to Peter, Paul, and Mary. :D

Puff the Magic Dragon? I :wub: Puff.

Edited by Professormom
  • Like 3

Is this 9th grade?

What is a class at Roman Roads? Online? Never heard of it. I would NOT do a three credit class - too much wrapped up in one class if it is not a good fit, plus limiting just because of the sheer amount of work involved.

Science would be a good one to outsource so the charter school gets my vote.

Is the online class the AoPS accelerated pace one? Or the WTMA one?

What is CLRC?

That looks heavy to me, but we are slower paced folks here with a very heavy sports elective. Also, neither of my 9th graders is typical, for very different reasons.

I agree on the three credit and had the same ? on which online class.

Physics could be Conceptual or you could try Wilson Hill. That was my number 2.

Hmmm, I will keep thinking.

I would be a nay. To me, that seems high. Over 100k is just too much mileage for me. They usually go downhill pretty fast at that point. I think I would be inclined to save more and keep looking to get an executive driven or lower mileage option. But that is just my opinion lol.

Good luck.

Yes, 100,000 is too much for my taste. A Chrysler! Good call! I had my heart set on a Sienna or Odyssey, but I could totally do a Chrysler. Not a $20,000 one though, unfortunately. Thanks!
  • Like 1

Oh, I forgot to report on my neuro visit.

Taken into office early.  Vitals.  (I'm alive.)  Doctor came in right away.  Discussed meds.  Discussed side effects.  He answered my questions.  Gave me a new script.  Briefly discussed literature.*  In and out.  20 minutes!   :hurray:

*I'm reading The Three Musketeers.  I have found that doctors treat me better if they see me reading a classic work of literature instead of the magazines that they keep in their waiting rooms.  Of course, depending on how I'm feeling, I may or may not be reading the book at the doctor's office.  I *may* just be carrying it as a prop.   :coolgleamA:   :leaving:

• Like 13

Yes, 100,000 is too much for my taste. A Chrysler! Good call! I had my heart set on a Sienna or Odyssey, but I could totally do a Chrysler. Not a $20,000 one though, unfortunately. Thanks!

Oh I didn't mean you had to buy that. I was using it to compare value lol. Good luck on the search. I am probably going to replace my vehicle this year, but I am currently undecided on what make and model will be graced with my ownership:-)

Edited by Professormom
  • Like 1

Oh I didn't mean you had to buy that. I was using it to compare value lol. Good luck on the search. I am probably going to replace my vehicle this year, but I am currently undecided on what make and model will be graced with my ownership:-)

I feel like you should have a red convertible. I don't know why, I just do.
  • Like 5

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person in the world with a job who drives a $5,000 car. Paid off. With dents. Three carseats across the back of a Nissan, booyah.

I have never owned a new car, nor has my mother. I can't even fathom it.

Anyway, interview went well. I feel we clicked to some extent. At least if they don't need me we could work with them for references to other startups.

Also I got a suit on sale at the mall for 50% off. $500 suit for $250 minus $100 in rewards = $150 for a new suit. Lightweight wool! It looks fancy too.

• Like 5

Oh, I forgot to report on my neuro visit.

Taken into office early. Vitals. (I'm alive.) Doctor came in right away. Discussed meds. Discussed side effects. He answered my questions. Gave me a new script. Briefly discussed literature.* In and out. 20 minutes! :hurray:

*I'm reading The Three Musketeers. I have found that doctors treat me better if they see me reading a classic work of literature instead of the magazines that they keep in their waiting rooms. Of course, depending on how I'm feeling, I may or may not be reading the book at the doctor's office. I *may* just be carrying it as a prop. :coolgleamA: :leaving:

I do this too!! Hilarious. I thought I was the only one. Or I bring in file folders with important looking spreadsheets inside, :lol:

In other news, bees scare the carp out of me, I commend all of you hive folk. It is one of my most irrational fears.

Tex vs. fuses. I know who I am cheering for:-)

Mil has trial hearing aids. I wish I could say more. Can we turn this thread into a private, password-protected thread? I have so many stories for ITT ears only, lol.

You all have shamed me into getting one more load of laundry in tonight.

Tomorrow, it will be school, piano, and getting mil some new slippers.

JoJosMom, is she super language oriented? Latin and Russian seems like a lot to me. I took Russian in college. It is not an easy or intuitive language. More Slavic, different alphabet, etc. She may want to pick one and just concentrate on that. Just my two cents.

Edited by Professormom
  • Like 5

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person in the world with a job who drives a $5,000 car. Paid off. With dents. Three carseats across the back of a Nissan, booyah.

Yes, I'm sad because our car would have been paid off in a year and a half. My husband really, really wants a van and I know that if we get a good one we won't need a new car for 10 years.

• Like 2

Anyway, interview went well. I feel we clicked to some extent. At least if they don't need me we could work with them for references to other startups.

Also I got a suit on sale at the mall for 50% off. $500 suit for $250 minus $100 in rewards = $150 for a new suit. Lightweight wool! It looks fancy too.

I have a friend who bought a Mazda Miata out of college. 20 years later, she still has it. She is a scientist and makes good moolah, but she loves that car. And it still looks awesome on her. I can't even imagine her in a new car. You are not alone:-)

Score on the suit!

• Like 1

You have vision:-) I always wanted a red convertible... I learned to drive on my dad's red Iroc-Z. My guys friends were soooo jealous.

But, boys, sports equipment and hauling a boat trailer have killed that dream for now. It will be an SUV. But it will be black with a saddle interior because pretty. I have to feel good in a car.

• Like 1

Until a few weeks ago I was driving a 99 sienna which we bought second hand 12 years ago. I think it would sell for about 2K. It's sitting parked here while my kids dither about getting a licence and whether they want it or not.

What's your mileage and how much repair work have you put into it?

Good luck.

The Hondas and Toyotas can go pretty well  until 200,000 miles.  The air conditioning went out in my van last summer, but that was the largest expense post 100,000 miles.  My brother, a stellar mechanic, loves the Siennas and owns one.  He picks them over Hondas.

I feel exactly the same.  She is a red convertible gal.

I never owned a $500 suit, not even for $150.  :D

• Like 2

Just looked up the Kelley Blue Book value of my van because I was curious, and it is $4,500-5,000.  Anyone who bought it for that would be getting a great-running car with cosmetic issues (chipped paint, stained carpets) and one sliding door that did not open from the inside (but opens from the outside and with the key fob). It has plenty of life left in it.  Not bad!

• Like 2

I have a 2004 Sienna. Which I love! We bought it new because the used ones were almost as much as the new ones. It's got >100,000 miles on it and still runs great! I am hoping to keep it for about 7-8 more years and then my next car will be... not a mini-van.

• Like 3

What's your mileage and how much repair work have you put into it?

220,000 km. I'm too lazy to try to convert it. 

It has needed nothing other than wear parts & those, not frequently. There's a timing belt thing that needs repairing at some point & that was a bit pricey.   That was about it.  It just runs.  We service it at the dealer &  told them we were thinking of buying a new one & the service manager said "why? You know this thing is going to keep running, right?" I lol'd because I thought the sales guy would be ticked to hear the service manager talking us out of a new one. 

• Like 1

I have a confession to make... I just binge watched the entire first season of "Bosche" (gritty police drama on Amazon Prime; a little too much language and violence for my taste, but doggone it, a very compelling story) in 5 days. I feel a little hung over. But I hate it when the entire series is just one big long storyline. Well, in this case 2 story lines. Things don't get neatly wrapped up at the end of an episode. So, I have to watch the next one. And the next one. And the next one!

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 3

Okay, I'm looking and it appears the Odysseys are going to be the most bang for our buck. I'm writing down all your notes so thanks for that! Now if we can just get approved for the apartment!

Also, mother is still in a downward spiral and I'm ignoring her texts for the night. MIL still thinks she's coming out and kidnapping the kids while I'm incapacitated but Matt's dealing with it. My house is clean... ish. I've been able to eat healthier lately. Imma go read.

• Like 5

I'm pretty sure you need one of these, Caucasian Mountain Russian Shepherd Dogs:

6ea830aafa81a72a5fde9f05129752f1.jpg

Hubby was looking at dogs last night...after learning how Sam and Jonah ran and hid from the neighbors yesterday...he's decided he wants a dog that's a little better at protecting the property.

We are NOT getting one of the above dogs.  We have enough of a problem keeping Jonah from chasing Mennonites on bicycles.  Pretty sure that kind of dog would EAT a Mennonite on a bicycle.  

I think this dog should be the ITT mascot dog.  We should get a screened t-shirt printed up so he can wear it.  Who wants to volunteer to put the shirt on the dog?  

Wow. What a dog.

• Like 2

I agree on the three credit and had the same ? on which online class.

Physics could be Conceptual or you could try Wilson Hill. That was my number 2.

Hmmm, I will keep thinking.

If we do Physics, it will be Derek Owens.  It's self-paced and she loves him.  Also, it only requires algebra, so I think it's on the light side.

JoJosMom, is she super language oriented? Latin and Russian seems like a lot to me. I took Russian in college. It is not an easy or intuitive language. More Slavic, different alphabet, etc. She may want to pick one and just concentrate on that. Just my two cents.

Thank you for the input on the Russian.  She is taking Latin formally for the first time this year after doing it gently at home and with a tutor.  She's made the transition well and wants to continue.  The desire for Russian is two-fold. One, she needs a modern foreign language.  And two, she wants to go to a really cool language school for a summer camp when she's 15 that is for studying security languages.  Russian was the only one that sounded interesting.  :laugh:   She'll be taking a course called "Young Russian" over the summer, so we'll see how it goes.  If she hates it, it'll get jettisoned!

Thank you for helping, Heather!

• Like 1

Renai, I hope you had a good spring break. Are you back to school today?

Yes. The AM class has decided they want to study buildings, and the PM class wants to study volcanoes (a natural coming off of dinosaurs, right?).  I gotta plan. I want to start something by Wednesday.

• Like 3

Gymnast eating fortune cookie: What does this say?

Me: You will soon gain something you have always desired.

Gymnast: So, I will.

Me: getting worried about a theological discussion of not believing superstitious stuff.

Gymnast: As soon as I eat this.

:lol:

• Like 8

The odd father showed up after four hours. He had eaten rice, fell asleep in his chair, woke up and visited. We spoke of his odd family, his odd friends, and I ordered him an air popcorn popper from Amazon. He received his amazon handkerchiefs in the mail today. It takes so little to make him happy.

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 8

Both my teens have alarm clocks and use them.  (This is not a commentary on other people's routines or kids - just a statement of fact, so please, please take it that way and not any other way.)

Sigh. My teen has an alarm clock, but it wakes up everyone in the house except her.

:lol:

• Like 3

Most of the cars we buy have over 100K miles, but we also pay less than $5K for them. The exception was our 12-passenger, which only had about 10K mi. and cost $13K.

• Like 2

I may be mistaken but...I believe the Chrysler T&C had the SAME issues the Grand did.  Poorly designed brakes, poorly designed tranny.  And they burn oil something fierce.  My dad (a former mechanic) bought a brand new one in 2010 and got rid of it two years later.  Chrysler/Dodge told him it was normal to have to put a quart of oil in every two weeks.  

Uh...no, it's not.  

That's one of the reasons we got rid of our 2008.  The writing was on the wall, and it was just a matter of time before it had a REAL serious engine issue, aside from the burning oil and umpteen brake issues it had.  

We haven't had a new car since the 1 yr old Sebring I bought shortly after college.  We outgrew it a couple of years later, when kid 3 made his surprise appearance.  Having hit hard financial times, we ended up in a 1987 GMC Vandura that was given to us.  That thing was a BEAST.  But let me tell you...God humbled me through that vehicle.  It ran...it got us where we needed to go.  It was full of issues and it was gross...but it met our needs and I learned to be grateful with less...lol.  

Incidentally, we were in RI at the time and the new van we had purchased was in PA...so we loaded that old girl up...drove her down to PA with four kids, all between the ages of 9 months and 4...and that Vandura....man, she gave up the ghost, I kid you not...RIGHT IN THE PARKING LOT OF THE DEALER.  It was like..she knew.  Her time was done.  We pulled into the parking lot and she just died right there...lol.  

Yes, I'm sad because our car would have been paid off in a year and a half. My husband really, really wants a van and I know that if we get a good one we won't need a new car for 10 years.

We keep telling ourselves this.  But it never works out that way.  Honestly...at this point, now that DH is working so close to home, I'm seriously tempted to lease.  We can never save enough money to buy a decent-enough vehicle outright...always needing to finance a couple of thousand (never much...but enough to have a payment, kwim).  Then...we end up needing to dump money into it because...older vehicle.  Between the repair costs we inevitably have to dump into these older vehicles, plus the monthly car payment...I am beginning to question whether I'd do better on a lease.  

Brand new car...under warranty....no repair headaches.  

I wouldn't do it unless I was positive we'd come out ahead of the game....and so far, my research has been confusing at best.  

Just looked up the Kelley Blue Book value of my van because I was curious, and it is $4,500-5,000.  Anyone who bought it for that would be getting a great-running car with cosmetic issues (chipped paint, stained carpets) and one sliding door that did not open from the inside (but opens from the outside and with the key fob). It has plenty of life left in it.  Not bad!

We have never yet received remotely close to KBB for any vehicle we've ever owned.  It just doesn't happen for us.  Not in trade-in value.  Not in private sale value.  We ended up donating our Sebring to a family from church that needed a running vehicle.  Dealers would only give us $1k for trade-in despite it showing as being worth $4k for trade-in, in the condition it was in (it needed a control arm or something...nothing major though).  

And nobody wanted to buy it in a private sale because of the control arm.  So we gave it away to a friend.  

• Like 5

The Hondas and Toyotas can go pretty well  until 200,000 miles.  The air conditioning went out in my van last summer, but that was the largest expense post 100,000 miles.  My brother, a stellar mechanic, loves the Siennas and owns one.  He picks them over Hondas.

I feel exactly the same.  She is a red convertible gal.

I never owned a $500 suit, not even for $150.   :D

I need it for work, but yes, exactly... we all have different things we prioritize depending on need.

• Like 1