• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

Having a crappy day here.  My beloved neighbors' furnace room caught on fire.  Thank God-and our fabulous volunteer fire department-the house was saved.  The house, by the way, is the former barn which was converted into a home when the original house burned down about 15 years ago.  DH is over with the tractor right now helping the firefighters-the winter wood stock needed to be turned to get at all the fire.

Prayers for M and V would be much appreciated.

My sister just broke her wrist. 😟

My "like" is a hug, not a like. 

• Like 1

Chelsea update (cervical cancer):

Insurance will not pay for her to see another doctor. My cousin in law in law (that's totally a thing) looked at her paperwork and said she will be fine if they wait a year and not to worry. He did agree that she should be treated now because of her pain and other symptoms. She is going to see if she can find someone to cautarize(?) her which might leave her symptom free until the surgery.

• Like 5

Insurance will not pay for her to see another doctor. My cousin in law in law (that's totally a thing) looked at her paperwork and said she will be fine if they wait a year and not to worry. He did agree that she should be treated now because of her pain and other symptoms. She is going to see if she can find someone to cautarize(?) her which might leave her symptom free until the surgery.

I hope she gets the treatment she needs.

My kids have step-step-cousins (step-dad's step-brother's kids) and step-step-cousins (step-aunt's stepson) as well as step-step-cousins-in-law.

• Like 2

So sorry.  I pray that everything will work out ok for her.

Thanksgiving at my house yesterday went really well!  The food was yummy and we have some leftovers for later in the week.

I kind of liked celebrating early this year.  Now I won't feel bad about shopping on Thursday. ;)

Oh, and I almost forgot:  I surprised my mom by making maple sugar candy.  It's her absolute favorite!!

• Like 8

We are vacationing.  Our first Not Visiting Family vacation ever.  It will be short (just a couple of days), but it is heavenly.  Little Duck says it's "the best place in the whole entire world 'cept heaven.  Heaven is the best, but this is the next best."  My feet are up, and I am encouraging them to leave crumbs everywhere, just so I can relish the fact that I don't have to clean it up.  Ahhhh.........

• Like 13

We are vacationing.  Our first Not Visiting Family vacation ever.  It will be short (just a couple of days), but it is heavenly.  Little Duck says it's "the best place in the whole entire world 'cept heaven.  Heaven is the best, but this is the next best."  My feet are up, and I am encouraging them to leave crumbs everywhere, just so I can relish the fact that I don't have to clean it up.  Ahhhh.........

Heaven, then Texas, then where you are.  ;)

• Like 2

I brought a turkey today. I have never baked/roasted/cooked a turkey before. It is frozen but in fridge now. So maybe I have done something right?

That's right! Then, Wednesday afternoon you take out the giblets and boil them with onion, celery, some bay leaves and peppercorns for your gravy, and Wednesday night you brine it and Thursday you roast it!

I've got a 24 pounder in my fridge right now and 30 people coming on Thursday. The week of preparations begins! I am so looking forward to Friday when I can have leftover pumpkin pie and coffee for breakfast and sit around working jigsaw puzzles all day!

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 6

I am so looking forward to Friday when I can have leftover pumpkin pie and coffee for breakfast and sit around working jigsaw puzzles all day!

Is this allowed? Oh boy - I am going to have to make TWO pumpkin pies now!

Tuesday is the day to chop onions and celery, and anything else that can be pre-chopped, sliced, or cut. Oh, also peel the garlic.

• Like 4

This is what Mr. Ellie and I are doing on Thanksgiving. No family in town, no other fellow orphans to gather in, might as well do something productive.

I would love to do that once our children are able to do the in-law thing every other time. My mom will be working at the hospital this year as she does every other year or so. She's very kind and will no doubt provide a lot of good cheer to the patients there.

Edited by Tsuga
  • Like 4

Is this allowed? Oh boy - I am going to have to make TWO pumpkin pies now!

Tuesday is the day to chop onions and celery, and anything else that can be pre-chopped, sliced, or cut. Oh, also peel the garlic.

Pumpkin is a vegetable, so pumpkin pie is vegetables for breakfast. Of course it's allowed. It's a virtue.

• Like 7

It is just our little family of 4 for Thanksgiving, plus three of the neighborhood bachelors. Dh informed me today that it will actually be 5 single males. Unless, another does not go out of town for the holidays, then it will be six. Fun times. (We deliver, they do not come over.) Five of them we've known forever, 2 of whom my girls call "uncle." The new 2 are divorced because they were stupid. But, I'll feed them anyway.

• Like 7

It is just our little family of 4 for Thanksgiving, plus three of the neighborhood bachelors. Dh informed me today that it will actually be 5 single males. Unless, another does not go out of town for the holidays, then it will be six. Fun times. (We deliver, they do not come over.) Five of them we've known forever, 2 of whom my girls call "uncle." The new 2 are divorced because they were stupid. But, I'll feed them anyway.

Newly divorced single men are appreciative at least.

Good for you for feeding them. Anyone can feed a deserving men. It takes a good family to feed a man who needs redemption.

I'd sooner have them over. They could sit there in shame but gratefulness. It might encourage them to do better... some of them anyway.

• Like 4

Newly divorced single men are appreciative at least.

Good for you for feeding them. Anyone can feed a deserving men. It takes a good family to feed a man who needs redemption.

I'd sooner have them over. They could sit there in shame but gratefulness. It might encourage them to do better... some of them anyway.

I wouldn't mind having people over, except we live in 659 sq ft and there is barely room for the four of us. And, we have CHAOS (Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome), because clutter. 

One of the divorced guys was cheating on his wife for years. I didn't know her well enough to say anything, and it irked me that dh would hang around him (they also worked together many times over the years). I was glad when she left him a few months ago.

But, yeah, if there is one thing I can do right - it's cook. So, cook, I shall. 

• Like 5

I wouldn't mind having people over, except we live in 659 sq ft and there is barely room for the four of us. And, we have CHAOS (Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome), because clutter. 

One of the divorced guys was cheating on his wife for years. I didn't know her well enough to say anything, and it irked me that dh would hang around him (they also worked together many times over the years). I was glad when she left him a few months ago.

I set my mind to having people over regardless. It motivates me to at least keep it to a minimum. Otherwise it gets out of hand. Sometimes I just end up trashing everything that hasn't really got a place. It's wasteful but rarely is that stuff we bought: most of it was symbolic "I thought of you!" gifts that had long ago served their purpose.

That said it's been awhile since I was in <700 ft^2. We are six. I had people over at my 500 ft ^2 place in Seattle though. They sat on the floor Asian style and loved it. Deal with it, peeps. And deal they did.

As for the cheater... well, my dad was a cheater and a jackass. We still feed him birthday cake. Oh well. You have got to honor their mothers, I figure.

• Like 5

Dr, Renai,

Thank you for your diagnosis.  Now i know what's wrong with us.   :D

• Like 8

Happy Monday. :P

It's below freezing here, too. The house seems to get more drafty every year.

Actually it probably does. The log walls are really needing maintenance. Ugh that's gonna hurt when the bill finally comes.

Hello, ITT. 

Feck.

• Like 3

This morning the first words out of dd5's mouth: "Mama, did you order my first grade math book yet?"   :w00t:

This child finished the Abeka K5 book in 5 weeks, so she's ready to move on.

And in light of the Saxon discussion:  We use Abeka through third grade and then switch to Saxon 5/4.  Then it's Saxon all the way.

• Like 5

Actually, it comes from FlyLady. Self-diagnosis. That is all.

I *think* I looked at the FlyLady site once several years ago.  Maybe it would be more helpful now that I have some older children to help keep the house "rett up".*

*Rett up is the phrase that my dad always used to tell us to clean up our rooms, eg: "Rett up your room.  It's a disaster."  It's from my Pennsylvania Dutch-ish side of the family

This has been Junie's educational contribution to this thread.

• Like 6

This morning the first words out of dd5's mouth: "Mama, did you order my first grade math book yet?"   :w00t:

This child finished the Abeka K5 book in 5 weeks, so she's ready to move on.

And in light of the Saxon discussion:  We use Abeka through third grade and then switch to Saxon 5/4.  Then it's Saxon all the way.

I've doing a CT math reasoning book with dd-almost 4. I think she's bored and wants to move on to a real math book. I have all the Shiller math from when dd16 was this age. I'll probably do a mix of that and MEP. Because free. Because I've already spent a bunch of money on SL 4/5 and a bunch of Timberdoodle stuff.

Actually, it comes from FlyLady. Self-diagnosis. That is all.

We have a lot of CHAOS here, too. On Mondays we tidy as much as possible because people ARE coming over, regardless of the state of the house. I like the FlyLady, though it seems her method works better if you don't have 6 kids who are messing things up right behind the cleaning you (and they themselves) are doing. I have tried to get the kids into daily cleaning habits but I hate having to go around and check everything constantly.

#aintnobodygottimeforthat

We have co-op tomorrow, but otherwise are taking the week off of lessons, though dd9 informed me that she still wants to do a couple of her workbooks that she likes and read her literature book because she is at the good part.

I tried.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 3

I did FlyLady once upon a time. It worked well, and then I had twins. What I do now works better for me. 

I am not doing a turkey. I am doing a ham, and I think I'm handling most of the desserts this year. Kind of funny to give the desserts to the one gluten-free person in the family, but there you are. On the other hand, that means I can at least eat dessert!

• Like 4

I don't think I've cleaned my oven in 7 years. 8? I probably should take a look at that.

I should also look into winning a million in the lottery so that I can build my studio/art gallery and get on with life before it's over.

Happy Depressive Monday, ITT. :P

I really have been putting a lot of thought into writing/illustrating some children's books that are sneakily educational in a Seuss kind of way. I have lots of ideas but no time.

I spent about 6 hours latch hooking hair onto the Wook last night. I should be able to finish for the 12th. The stilts are a hurdle, but shouldn't be too bad. Repadding the mask is at least as important.

The sound glove... I'm not thinking about the sound glove right now. :-/

• Like 5

We sometimes go feed the homeless on Christmas day.  We will be going to my brother's house.  My SIL is good at cooking gf, and I really appreciate it after suffering through holidays with dh's family in which one easy ingredient could have been changed but no one cared enough to do so, which meant that my kids could not eat most of the food.  One year, SIL made homemade fried onions for the greenbean casserole just so they would be gf, and I almost cried from the kindness.

I have caught the cold my kids brought home, which means that I snore and dh wakes me up repeatedly so now I am up but a zombie.  I also dreamed that the ghoss of a mean lady was coming to get me and I had to invoke the name of Jesus. The ghost was small and sneaky and slid through the door.  My high school friend Amy was there so I hollered for her to help.  Then, a mean, big dog came to chase me so I had to stand on the counter top.  Also, I was carrying too much stuff, and I couldn't get my kids to carry some of it.  My friend Lisette was there, too, from the Humane Society.

I cleaned up the house on Saturday night during the mariachi concert just because I could not take it anymore.  Too much clutter depresses me.  It was that or Zoloft.  Made dh and the kids help.  Now I bask in the glow of cleanliness, even though we aren't having anyone over.  We will be going to my brother's house.

Renai, I now have a sense for how small 659 sq feet is because I helped my dad find house plans for 600 sq feet.

In a bit, I have to get my car tires rotated.  I think it needs new tires.

ETA:  I wrote a book, and it turned into a booya(h).

Edited by texasmama
  • Like 7

At least you got a big ugly edit notification banner for the trouble.

Yes, there is that.

My notifications disappearing happened right when I got a new phone and the phone tried to force me to install tapatalk app and put me in a loop so I could not look at this forum.  So I installed it, hated it, got rid of it, and still didn't have notifications.  I am completely lost without notifications.  I can't keep up with anything.  It was bad.  Now they are back, but I stole them from Ellie.  I don't get it.

• Like 5

Since my Tuesday is not going to be available for much prep, I may need to make the apple pie filling tonight. I make the Apple Pie II recipe from The Joy of Cooking that cooks the filling before putting it into the crust. I find it keeps the pie from becoming too soupy and collapsing the crust (lattice top), and can also be made a day or two in advance before baking the pie.

#ramblingonaboutpie

#becausepie

• Like 6