Menu

Ignore this thread!

You know how the holidays is a time when you see friends and family that you haven't seen in ages and they all want a snapshot description of "what you've been up to?"  I always do well at saying stuff for the kids and dh but when it comes to myself I'm stuck.  I've finally figured out what to say "I'm the great and magnificent OZ for our household.  I work behind the scenes so that everyone else can do their stuff." 

• Like 6

My wife told Izzy this morning that she could make a turkey headdress and she got very excited... until my wife said "and you can write something you're thankful for on each feather!".

"Awww mom I don't wanna do that it'll mess it up!!" Whine whine whine.

So then my wife told her she could write her thankful items on a separate sheet of paper and leave the headdress pristine, which elicited more whining about not wanting to write. So then we told her that at home school, you still have to listen just like you would to a teacher (never mind your mom in the first place), without whining and drama and much more respect.

So the response to that was "I miss regular school!!" followed by sobbing.

Sigh.

Big picture (that I know you know):  She would have to write at school too.  She just didn't want to do it.  And while they wouldn't have the whining and drama (usually - though as a teacher I can say that it did happen esp. at that age) at school, there would still be bad attitudes. 

• Like 1

I know. What stings is when she says she misses her friends. We just can't trust that school ever again. It's really, really hard (pretty much impossible) to duplicate the social aspect of public school for her.

You can't duplicate the social aspect of public school but you can develop your own social aspect of homeschooling.  Holidays are both good and bad in this regard.  There are lots of free programs at the library and community centers at this time but individual families tend to be busy.  The thing about homeschooling though is that it is no longer by default of being involved in a larger social group but you do have to make it happen.  It hasn't been easy for me (chronic pain/illness) but I've made it one (of many) priority and am glad that I've done so for my kids' sakes. 

• Like 4

Big picture (that I know you know):  She would have to write at school too.  She just didn't want to do it.  And while they wouldn't have the whining and drama (usually - though as a teacher I can say that it did happen esp. at that age) at school, there would still be bad attitudes. 

I know. What stings is when she says she misses her friends. We just can't trust that school ever again. It's really, really hard (pretty much impossible) to duplicate the social aspect of public school for her.

Mark, How old is Izzy?

#latetotheparty

Izzy's 6.

Jean we do try but we're socially incompetent and overscheduled on top of that. Still looking for something that fits.

Most people annoy me and I'm sure I annoy them. Then there's fatigue from Crohns and etc. It's tough to get things working around all of that.

Ultimately yeah I've gotta figure it out but I never could with the oldest and I'm not sure how I'll do it this time either.

The library programs around here cater to daytime hours and my wife hates them. They also tend to be very small and heavily populated with ASD kids which, frankly, tends to set Izzy back on the progress she's made herself. The evening programs all interfere with at least two other things and one is always non-negotiable. I've pulled my hair out over this stuff plenty.

We are about to leave for the boys' out of town game.  I hereby solemnly pledge to ITT and all it's entities that I will not act a fool at this game.  I will instead breathe in and out, remain seated and quote calming Bible verses to myself.  Send me strength, friends, as this is the team we lost to in the tournament when ds15 got hurt and dh got a technical.  They pushed all my buttons.  Our guys are capable of winning, but this is a very physical team.  I go all mama bear in these instances.  Those of you who are old enough can imagine the Incredible Hulk.  It is not about winning or losing.  It is about Justice and the American Way. :hat:

• Like 6

Also, please note that I got my odd father's tires replaced.

Additionallly, hence, soforth and such, my odd father misunderstood that when he agreed to sponsor the free throw shoot a thon, he agreed to sponsor BOTH of his grandsons and not just ds12.  It was fun straightening that out while standing at Discount Tires.  My father is quite literal.  And argumentative. So I don't argue and eventually he usually comes around on his own, but oh, the mental anguish entailed.  Because why would you support one grandson on a team and not the other?  So very odd.

In closing, I am not odd.  I am weird and funny and stuff, but I am not odd.

• Like 4

We are about to leave for the boys' out of town game.  I hereby solemnly pledge to ITT and all it's entities that I will not act a fool at this game.  I will instead breathe in and out, remain seated and quote calming Bible verses to myself.  Send me strength, friends, as this is the team we lost to in the tournament when ds15 got hurt and dh got a technical.  They pushed all my buttons.  Our guys are capable of winning, but this is a very physical team.  I go all mama bear in these instances.  Those of you who are old enough can imagine the Incredible Hulk.  It is not about winning or losing.  It is about Justice and the American Way. :hat:

Sweetie, don't grow muscular and green with fury. 

• Like 3

I am wearing pants but they are not "acceptable going out the door" pants.  Pray that I can find some holy pants in the dryer to replace my holey pants. 

Quoting myself to say that you cannot find what is not there.  A load is now in the washing machine.  My mind is whirling as it says "recalculating" on my afternoon plans. 

• Like 3

Well, no cookies. The mixer has still not been used. The headache has won this battle. However, I let them paint on large pieces of butcher paper, and they really liked that. So, win.

We also read (looked at pictures) a bird identification guide*. We have lots of birds here. We also read The First Thanksgiving Day.

*The Raven is a very intelligent bird. It can learn to count faster than monkeys. Also, it can mimic voices and learn to talk better than a parrot. There are some really neat youtube videos.

This has been my educational post for the day.;)

• Like 7

We are about to leave for the boys' out of town game. I hereby solemnly pledge to ITT and all it's entities that I will not act a fool at this game. I will instead breathe in and out, remain seated and quote calming Bible verses to myself. Send me strength, friends, as this is the team we lost to in the tournament when ds15 got hurt and dh got a technical. They pushed all my buttons. Our guys are capable of winning, but this is a very physical team. I go all mama bear in these instances. Those of you who are old enough can imagine the Incredible Hulk. It is not about winning or losing. It is about Justice and the American Way. :hat:

Good luck! I hope they beat 'em. Whooomp 'em good. Be confident. Be strong. We are winners.

We are the champions, we are the champions......of the world. (a la Freddy Mercury/Queen)

• Like 2

:laugh:  Hope that you get it figured out.

Now that load is in the dryer.  I will not go naked into that good night (points for anyone who knows what I'm alluding to here even though I changed it to say naked instead of gentle - or is that too big of a hint?)

My recalculated ESS (Errand Scheduling Service) had me order dd's birthday present online instead of going to Target.  I got a 10% online discount over the sale price and it will be delivered before her mid-December birthday.  Big win! 

• Like 4

Aw man, I ran out of likes at a crucial moment. 

I recognized the line of poetry but had it confused with something else, so no points for me.  (#uneducated)

I am also waiting on the dryer.  When it's finished I'm going to toss in sheets which I meant to put on the bed a week ago, but have been sitting around collecting dust.  I will un-dust them in the dryer for a 10 minute fluff.  Then I will make the bed.  Then I will put another load back into the dryer to fluff and fold - (the load that dh took out yesterday but did not fold to do his crazy loads.  I'm not mad he didn't fold - he can't fold right and doesn't know whose stack it goes on anyway.  I wish he would cook and do dishes and leave the laundry to me.  :D )

(((Slace))) - hope you found something satisfying to eat.

(((Whitehawk))) - hope fevers are better.

(((JoJosmom))) - hope you made it home safely.

(((Dawn))) - take something and go to bed early.

Tex - you can do this!

Edited by Another Lynn
  • Like 7

I went to the mall today to do some Christmas shopping before the after Thanksgiving craziness starts.  (Did I mention we're taking this week off?)  Anyway, I haven't been to the mall in .... years.  I felt like a Beverly Hillbilly in New York City.  It was so upscale compared to Kohls and Walmart, lol.  So many things I might have stopped to look at if I hadn't had a list.  On the other hand, I think it would have been overwhelming.  In years passed I might have been disgusted by the senselessness of it.  But today I felt like I had been transported to some fairy land of luxury.  I supposed I was both thankful that I don't circulate in that world all the time, and yet also appreciative of its fineness.  (#needtogetoutmore) 

• Like 6

Back from watching "My All American." It was a good movie. Not a great one, but a good one. There is brief backal nudity when a football player moons everyone. There's no language, no s*x. I was not warned that it is a tearjerker. And, just as I knew it would be, I am an invisible person in the stands. However, in the few scenes that show the parents and the girlfriend, I was breathing the same air they were. :D

• Like 7

I went to the mall today to do some Christmas shopping before the after Thanksgiving craziness starts.  (Did I mention we're taking this week off?)  Anyway, I haven't been to the mall in .... years.  I felt like a Beverly Hillbilly in New York City.  It was so upscale compared to Kohls and Walmart, lol.  So many things I might have stopped to look at if I hadn't had a list.  On the other hand, I think it would have been overwhelming.  In years passed I might have been disgusted by the senselessness of it.  But today I felt like I had been transported to some fairy land of luxury.  I supposed I was both thankful that I don't circulate in that world all the time, and yet also appreciative of its fineness.  (#needtogetoutmore) 

I dislike malls.

I like online shopping.

• Like 4

I want to teach middle school history, middle school writing, and high school literature now. It all looks so fun. I was never interested in teaching a child to read or add. I think that's one reason school only takes 10 minutes. Well, "school" takes 10 minutes. Art, music, nursery rhymes, play acting, singing, growing plants, and watching YouTube is all day, but I'm not into this 40 minutes of phonics games thing.

• Like 5

I want to teach middle school history, middle school writing, and high school literature now. It all looks so fun. I was never interested in teaching a child to read or add. I think that's one reason school only takes 10 minutes. Well, "school" takes 10 minutes. Art, music, nursery rhymes, play acting, singing, growing plants, and watching YouTube is all day, but I'm not into this 40 minutes of phonics games thing.

There shouldn't be 40 minutes of phonics. 10 minutes, max. Seriously. Then, have something he can play himself if he wants to continue.

• Like 5

I need to make lesson plans and send co-op emails. And dice onions, celery, and something else. And deal with ds10's laundry. And my own laundry so ds can deal with his. But braindead.

The co-op director once again is proving her obsession with giving me advice on how to teach my classes when she is pretty clueless as to what is involved, and actually admits she is clueless. Nevertheless. She keeps flapping her mouth in my direction. And eventually I walk away. And thank God sincerely that we will not be there next fall.

Edited by Susan in TN
  • Like 5