Menu

Ignore this thread!

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!~D

Monday!!😩😩😩

Busy day!! Another meeting. But we always have lunch together for this type of meeting, so that’s fun. I like my co-workers. They are nice people. Ima make a Dump Cake.

Lots of other stuff to do. My list is long. This evening is orientation for the girls’ school. Bleh. I hate stuff like that. But must go. 

Boy howdy, I got a Booya/h. A Monday Morning Booya/h.

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Ellie said:

Just made my Disneyland trip reservations, for the week after Thanksgiving. ::happyMickeydance::

Wah! I want to go so bad!

I hope everyone feels better.

FYI: Costco has some nice, soft, skimming ladies tees on sale. I grabbed one in every color cause my old ones all have holes in the front. Those tiny pin holes that mysteriously appear from no where in tees.

Big age spread here, too. But y’all already knew that. I just go with it. We have each other here to talk to. 2 boys are in Little Man’s church class, and of those, one is his best friend who just happens to be moving around the corner from us this week. I like the mom, too. We have similar personalities.

EdPo: First official day of school. I still need grammar kids will do. Tried CAP and R&S this summer. That leaves GWTM or Fix It! on my list. I wish AG would fly here! I’m going to The Homeschool Store tomorrow so any thoughts on these are appreciated.

Better rally the troops now.

Edited by Green Bean
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, Green Bean said:

And anyone know how to strip towels? Ours are al scratchy from years of hard Houston water.

It's something like Borax + your detergent + um...I thought I had the recipe but I don't. And the FB group that has it is paused until tomorrow or the next day so I can't ask, but I'll keep looking through past discussions to see if I can find it. Of course, someone else might know it right away, so there's that.

• Like 3

Ellie- do you like DisneyWorld or DisneyLand better? I’ve been to World many years ago/childhood but never to Land. Is one maybe better for autistic doesn’t like lots if walking and crowds kid?

Dh and I are thinking of doing Disney for Christmas instead of gifts this year. How much are we talking? There will be 7 of us. Any tips?

Edited by Green Bean
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, Green Bean said:

EdPo: First official day of school. I still need grammar kids will do. Tried CAP and R&S this summer. That leaves GWTM or Fix It! on my list. I wish AG would fly here! I’m going to The Homeschool Store tomorrow so any thoughts on these are appreciated.

Fix it and GWTM are polar opposites. If you can decide what you actually want to do you'll know which one to use. We're using Our Mother Tongue.

2 minutes ago, Green Bean said:

Ellie- do you like DisneyWorld or DisneyLand better? I’ve been to World many years ago/childhood but never to Land.

Not Ellie, but Matt says world. Land has 2 parks and world has 4, and he specifically likes EPCOT.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, Green Bean said:

Wah! I want to go so bad!

I hope everyone feels better.

FYI: Costco has some nice, soft, skimming ladies tees on sale. I grabbed one in every color cause my old ones all have holes in the front. Those tiny pin holes that mysteriously appear from no where in tees.

Big age spread here, too. But y’all already knew that. I just go with it. We have each other here to talk to. 2 boys are in Little Man’s church class, and of those, one is his best friend who just happens to be moving around the corner from us this week. I like the mom, too. We have similar personalities.

Thought I was the only one with the holes. Can't figure out if it is from being in the kitchen and rubbing against counter or maybe rubbing against button tab on jeans. The last shirts I ordered ended up going to dd, who is now the same size, so I need to find something else for me.

We are doing FixIt because it's easy. (Eta: and pairs well with the writing, which we are already using) I need to remember to add in diagramming so they don't forget it. Fixit would be perfect if they just diagrammed.

Edited by Dianthus
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ellie said:

It's something like Borax + your detergent + um...I thought I had the recipe but I don't. And the FB group that has it is paused until tomorrow or the next day so I can't ask, but I'll keep looking through past discussions to see if I can find it. Of course, someone else might know it right away, so there's that.

So what happens? Do they get soft again? I have been thinking about shopping for new towels. I used one of the kids towels and realized they are quite scratchy.

• Like 2

Morning. It's Monday, and boy does it feel like it. 

No school stuff here as it's gap year, and I still haven't gotten all my stuff together for study this fall. Some of it, not all of it. Probably plan on starting here around the first of September since we are still finishing up with a lot of gardening projects from the summer and no rain of note and horribly hot weather means no outings can be made just yet. 

I'm buried up to my ears in revisions right now anyway!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My English plan for the boy has different programs. In the years that we do IEW he does Fix it, but there's a year of Our Mother Tongue, and Grammar of Poetry. Our Mother Tongue has diagramming, which I'm only prioritizing because of Latin and Greek, otherwise I'd skip it.

#classicalhomeschoolfail

• Like 3

I need something that assumes zero GUM knowledge, with direct teaching, lots of review, little diagramming, memorization, and loads of application practice that can be done over 2-3 yrs. Not costing an arm and a leg would be nice, too. AG is not an option.

Fix It! might work if we ignore the IEW style stuff. I think that’s what we are going to do, but speed it up.

GWTM is too diagramming heavy and way too detailed. I’m pretty sure I’ve tried everything else over the years.

#grammarfail

Edited by Green Bean
Too many exclamation points!
  • Like 2

And today’s W&R assignment was to amplify a passage from Jack and the Giant Killer. The boys wrote tons and the girl just added words. 😆  ASD Son insisted he couldn’t do it, but in the end came up with something great. I’m on my phone, but would like to share later, if that’s kosher.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Green Bean said:

I need something that assumes zero GUM knowledge, with direct teaching, lots of review, little diagramming, memorization, and loads of application practice that can be done over 2-3 yrs. Not costing an arm and a leg would be nice, too! AG is not an option!

Fix It! might work if we ignore the IEW style stuff. I think that’s what we are going to do, but speed it up.

GWTM is too diagramming heavy and way too detailed. I’m pretty sure I’ve tried everything else over the years.

#grammarfail

What's GUM?

Easy Grammar?

16 minutes ago, Green Bean said:

Which I appreciate as you are always so helpful.

😁

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Being exhausted is your excuse for being helpful? 

For being annoying:

47 minutes ago, Slache said:

What's GUM?

😁

38 minutes ago, Green Bean said:

GUM= grammar, usage, mechanics/ punctuation

32 minutes ago, Slache said:

Ah. I was thinking Doublemint. Or like the rainbow zebra one? Yeah! Not Big Red though.

• Like 3

@Ellie

I think you're a Spaulding person, which is like LOE (or LOE is like Spaulding, I think you said). I thought I would go to Spelling Workout B for my grade 2 guy this year since I liked the later books for my older kids, but I opened book B today and found it is extremely simple. LOE had my guy in multi syllable spelling words when he finished Foundations, and these are nearly all single syllable basic cvc and cvcc. I am returning level B, and wondering what to do. I had this issue with the other kids at this age. I don't want to use LOE's next level just for spelling. I don't want to build my own. I do want a workbook with daily exercises. I didn't like R&S when my dd was at this level.  Looking at MP's traditional spelling, since I see they don't use Spelling Workout for this age.

What does Spaulding do? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Green Bean said:

Ellie- do you like DisneyWorld or DisneyLand better? I’ve been to World many years ago/childhood but never to Land. Is one maybe better for autistic doesn’t like lots if walking and crowds kid?

Dh and I are thinking of doing Disney for Christmas instead of gifts this year. How much are we talking? There will be 7 of us. Any tips?

Definitely prefer Disneyland. And for Christmas, DL wins the Christmas decoration award.

Both can be crowded, but there are only two parks at Disneyland, so no transportation issues, and not as much walking as WDW (but there are still more attractions at DL's two parks than at WDW's four parks). The Cast Members are really good at helping guests who are having problems of some kind, so you can always ask for help while you're there.

Also, if you think you'll want to go, you have to not only buy your tickets but make reservations at the parks you want to visit. IOW, if you go for three days, you have to reserve the park you want to start at each day. It's all there on the Disneyland website. And you'll want to do it soon.

It will be around $100 per person, per day, plus food and lodging. Although staying at one of the three Disney properties is awesome, you can stay at one of the "good neighbor" hotels for much less.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Dianthus said:

@Ellie

I think you're a Spaulding person, which is like LOE (or LOE is like Spaulding, I think you said). I thought I would go to Spelling Workout B for my grade 2 guy this year since I liked the later books for my older kids, but I opened book B today and found it is extremely simple. LOE had my guy in multi syllable spelling words when he finished Foundations, and these are nearly all single syllable basic cvc and cvcc. I am returning level B, and wondering what to do. I had this issue with the other kids at this age. I don't want to use LOE's next level just for spelling. I don't want to build my own. I do want a workbook with daily exercises. I didn't like R&S when my dd was at this level.  Looking at MP's traditional spelling, since I see they don't use Spelling Workout for this age.

What does Spaulding do? 

That's "Spalding." 🙂

Spalding does *at least* as much as LOE, but with only one book (the manual, Writing Road to Reading) and a set of phonogram cards. It's penmanship, capitalization and punctuation, and simple writing.

R&S's Spelling by Sound and Structure changes its format big time beginning with the 4th grade book. Before then it's mainly reinforcing phonics. To keep things simple this year, why don't you just do MCP, and buy the 4th grade Spelling by Sound and Structure to see how you like it?

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Ellie said:

Definitely prefer Disneyland. And for Christmas, DL wins the Christmas decoration award. I want to go so badly!

Both can be crowded, but there are only two parks at Disneyland, so no transportation issues, and not as much walking as WDW ... but my feet hurt for 8 months after DL and my family wants to go to WDW... (but there are still more attractions at DL's two parks than at WDW's four parks). The Cast Members are really good at helping guests who are having problems of some kind, so you can always ask for help while you're there. Yes, we noticed when we lost our children there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have watched so may videos and read so many blog posts on writing novels from so many different authors this past week I think my brain is oozing out of my ears. John made a continuous mistake in his book because he forgot one of his customs so we have to rethink the entire system. If he had just typed this in the first place like I told him to he could search it digitally, but the first draft has got to be handwritten in his eyes. 

Oi.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Ellie said:

That's "Spalding." 🙂

Spalding does *at least* as much as LOE, but with only one book (the manual, Writing Road to Reading) and a set of phonogram cards. It's penmanship, capitalization and punctuation, and simple writing.

R&S's Spelling by Sound and Structure changes its format big time beginning with the 4th grade book. Before then it's mainly reinforcing phonics. To keep things simple this year, why don't you just do MCP, and buy the 4th grade Spelling by Sound and Structure to see how you like it?

Adding: 2nd is probably way too young, but MegaWords starts out with multi- syllable words.

Most 2nd grade spelling is still going to be “baby” words.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ellie said:

That's "Spalding." 🙂

He's 2nd grade because of bday but really bright and 8 in Nov. Grade 4 still seems like a big jump but I'll look at it.

What is MCP?

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Green Bean said:

World is amazing. We went last summer. But it’s huge. Disneyland has only two parks and you can walk from one to the other.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Green Bean said:

And today’s W&R assignment was to amplify a passage from Jack and the Giant Killer. The boys wrote tons and the girl just added words. 😆  ASD Son insisted he couldn’t do it, but in the end came up with something great. I’m on my phone, but would like to share later, if that’s kosher.

I remember that one!  We started book 11 today - Thesis 2.  Book 12 isn't done yet but we might have a chance to do it before ds17 graduates.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Lesson 8 is finally all done and printed out and is nestled companionably with lessons 6 and 7.  So . . .  drumroll please. .  . I am all done with the lessons! 

I do need to get my portfolio of verse songs upstairs but that will take me all of five minutes, if even that. 

🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉

It's all about that camp, 'bout that camp, no trouble. 

It's all about that camp, 'bout that camp, no trouble....,

Jean, 8/2019

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Dianthus said:

He's 2nd grade because of bday but really bright and 8 in Nov. Grade 4 still seems like a big jump but I'll look at it.

What is MCP?

Spelling Workout’s publisher is MCP.

Evan Moor Building Spelling Skills Daily Practice?

Memoria Press used R&S a year ahead so Gr. 4 for MP 3, etc..

• Like 1

Grandpa fixed my toilet today - replaced a part in it. 🏆

We are (and have always been) enormously boring people.  So when people come to visit they usually end up helping us repair things because there's nothing else to do.

Of course, when school is happening there are so many different schedules going on that it's hard to coordinate a time for everyone to do something all together.

The appliance repair guy is coming tomorrow but it's not Chester's best friend.  Some other guy.  Oh well.  I'm sure Chester will be willing to make a new best friend. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, KrissiK said:

World is amazing. We went last summer. But it’s huge. Disneyland has only two parks and you can walk from one to the other.

Yes, WDW is amazing. But we still prefer DL. We'll still go, but we have a better plan now to see what we want to see. No more need for five days of parks. In fact, one of our Texas neighbors has moved there [long story, some of which I have shared previously], and they have lots of experience visiting all of the resorts, so next time we go, we're going to spend a day resort-hopping. 🙂 Also, their dd works at Ft. Wilderness, which we've never been to, and we'll go there one day with her.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Dianthus said:

So what happens? Do they get soft again? I have been thinking about shopping for new towels. I used one of the kids towels and realized they are quite scratchy.

I think the last ingredient Ellie is thinking of is vinegar... maybe vinegar and baking soda.

9 hours ago, Green Bean said:

I need something that assumes zero GUM knowledge, with direct teaching, lots of review, little diagramming, memorization, and loads of application practice that can be done over 2-3 yrs. Not costing an arm and a leg would be nice, too. AG is not an option.

#grammarfail

Can anyone remember the free online curriculum that used to be recommended all the time back in the day? It's still online; I remember looking through it a few months ago. But, I can't remember the name of it and didn't save it. 🤦🏾‍♀️

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Renai said:

I think the last ingredient Ellie is thinking of is vinegar... maybe vinegar and baking soda.

Can anyone remember the free online curriculum that used to be recommended all the time back in the day? It's still online; I remember looking through it a few months ago. But, I can't remember the name of it and didn't save it. 🤦🏾‍♀️

Easy peasy?

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Ellie said:

Yes, WDW is amazing. But we still prefer DL. We'll still go, but we have a better plan now to see what we want to see. No more need for five days of parks. In fact, one of our Texas neighbors has moved there [long story, some of which I have shared previously], and they have lots of experience visiting all of the resorts, so next time we go, we're going to spend a day resort-hopping. 🙂 Also, their dd works at Ft. Wilderness, which we've never been to, and we'll go there one day with her.

No resort hopping since Covid. You can only visit a resort if you're staying or eating there.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Good Morning!!

COFFEE!!~D

Tuesday!!

Woke up early. Hot flashes. I have decided to try to work more soy into my life. I was reading that it seems to help menopause symptoms. Something about phyto-something-something-estrogen-something. I don’t know.

Yesterday was completely overwhelming. I hope the rest of the school year isn’t going to be like this.

• Like 5