Menu

Ignore this thread!

13 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

So, ITT is kinda quiet tonight. Not much going on. DH and DD saw Monticello and Mt. Vernon today. Seems like they are having a good time.

I've been to Mount Vernon, but not Monticello.  I would really like to go someday.

I've also been to Williamsburg, where they were yesterday.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

I love curriculum. I always have this “grass is always greener” syndrome with History, though. We’re having a great time doing what we’re doing, but I keep thinking, “maybe Notgrass next year....” but I know if I change over I will wish we were doing what we are doing this year. I’m a wreck. Don’t listen to me.

My curriculum choices were so specific to my "hexagonal pegs" that didn't fit the peg board of public school or the peg board of "mainstream homeschooling " either.  But that was the beauty of it - I didn't have to make them fit anyone else's idea of how homeschooling should work.  And who knows if I made the absolute best choices?  I did my best anyway. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Good morning!  I got to sleep in!  But coffee is brewing now.  

Ah, yes, curriculum hunting.  Those were the good ol' days.  Last night my ds asked about adding in Logic, but logic curriculum is not very exciting, lol.    

Math - I like CLE until I don't.  I like Saxon until I don't.  I like the idea of a bunch of others, but they didn't workout here.  And I really love the math teacher at our local homeschool highschool center.  She is awesome!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I love curriculum. I always have this “grass is always greener” syndrome with History, though. We’re having a great time doing what we’re doing, but I keep thinking, “maybe Notgrass next year....” but I know if I change over I will wish we were doing what we are doing this year. I’m a wreck. Don’t listen to me.

I don't have this, but I have these grandiose dreams of mom intensive work with all the books and all the crafts and all the things and then I'm sad they don't happen.

38 minutes ago, myblessings4 said:

I love researching curriculum, and if I could own it all, I would.  

Yes.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I was definitely a wreck yesterday after sitting in on two college freshman classes with dd17 - moral philosophy and arithmetic.  I have clearly completely failed in her education so far.  BUT, I have a few more months to cram everything into her head that she lacks, so there's that!  Lol.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

I was definitely a wreck yesterday after sitting in on two college freshman classes with dd17 - moral philosophy and arithmetic.  I have clearly completely failed in her education so far.  BUT, I have a few more months to cram everything into her head that she lacks, so there's that!  Lol.  

I’m not saying this to absolve us of anything we do or not do as homeschool parents, but through my experience as a homeschool parent, a teacher, observing experiences of my friends, and just reading books like “Educated” by Tara Westover, I really think the majority of whether a person is educated or not depends on the student.- how absorptive their mind is, how much they thirst for knowledge, how much they want it.  Yes, the teacher, curriculum, and educational environment is important, but I don’t think it’s as crucial to the outcome as we like to believe. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

9 hours ago, KrissiK said:

You're not using Notgrass?

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I’m not saying this to absolve us of anything we do or not do as homeschool parents, but through my experience as a homeschool parent, a teacher, observing experiences of my friends, and just reading books like “Educated” by Tara Westover, I really think the majority of whether a person is educated or not depends on the student.- how absorptive their mind is, how much they thirst for knowledge, how much they want it.  Yes, the teacher, curriculum, and educational environment is important, but I don’t think it’s as crucial to the outcome as we like to believe. 

You're right, you're right, I know you're right.

(bonus points if you can identify the movie quote!)

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

You're right, you're right, I know you're right.

(bonus points if you can identify the movie quote!)

“He’s never gonna leave her....”

”You’re right, you’re right.... I know you’re right.”

Carrie Fischer in “When Harry Met Sally.”🤣

• Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, Servant4Christ said:

You're not using Notgrass?

Not this year. We started SoTW last Christmas after we finished California History. I am combining it with some History Odyssey and recs from the second edition of TWTM. It’s going really well, actually. But..... I love Notgrass. I love the books, I love the literature..... maybe I should do both. All of it. Just have our school be history.

Hmmmmm, now there’s an idea.

It’s a History Booya/h, Baby!!!

Edited by KrissiK
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

I feel like there is nothing but evidence to support this, but we're bombarded with people telling us it's not true, from curriculum sellers to competitive moms.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Spudater said:

I'm feeling this in certain areas with LL. You can lead a horse to water... after a while you're exhausted and the horse still won't drink and you start asking yourself if maybe you ought to just get out of the way and let the horse find it's own dang water. (not for everything, but it makes me re-examine what is really important)

yes!

This reminds me of a t-shirt

A9A03BA3-6E71-48B2-80D1-0CE646775F35.jpeg

• Thanks 2

Good Morning, Good Afternoon and Good Night.  

I didn't get on this morning.  Had to drive dh to work since his car wasn't done until this afternoon, met dd for workout and did some nice yoga, had this thread open and was getting ready to respond over my second cup of tea and my teacher arrived and we had to do some rearranging (we're moving things so she can spread out her students more).   No second cup of tea and no back to the boards until now.   

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Junie said:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Evangelische_Kirche_Feudingen?uselang=de#/media/File:Kirche_Feudingen.jpg

I was doing some genealogy research last night and found out the my 10th-great-grandparents were married in this church in 1654.

I just added "visit Germany" to my mental bucket list.

That's so cool!  What do you use to get access to records in other countries?  Are they translated into English?

My research has pretty much stalled because I don't have access to records in other countries and even the records I can find are hard to translate.

One thing I was able to find was the church in Copenhagen where dh's great-grandmother was baptised in 1873ish.  When ds25 and I were in Copenhagen we found the church which was having a used book sale and we bought a hymnal from the 1870's.  That was really cool.  

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

That's so cool!  What do you use to get access to records in other countries?  Are they translated into English?

I found this just by googling their names.  Someone else's info from ancestry popped up in the search.  I'm assuming/hoping the info is correct.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

DH and DD went to the Spy Museum. I was rather envious.

I'm rather envious, too.  I've not been yet, but I've heard it's really nice. 

I don't like doing museums with dh and the kids.  If we go to a museum, dh reads every.single.thing and I end up taking care of the kids.

Edited by Junie
  • Like 2

Morning. It's not insomnia. I was sleeping like a log until the cat puked and the husband decided he needed to get up and clean everything. So now I'm up and having my morning caffeine a bit early.

On curriculum: I think the best curriculum is the one that doesn't make the student hate the subject, but there are things that are super-easy to hate, even with the best curriculum and awesome teachers. I can also say that just because someone hates something at one point in their life, they may not hate it forever, and learning doesn't end at high school or college. So there's that. Sometimes it takes time for motivation to kick in.

In other news, I was up to walking 4 miles a day as of yesterday, but I tweaked my knee on some loose gravel, and it was really sore yesterday. So I think I'll take the day off to rest it. It already feels better today than it did yesterday afternoon.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I had two dreams.

Someone I know has this thing where if I tell her no she sits directly in front of me with her back to me, her arms crossed and gauffs until I address the situation. I hate it. Last night I dreamed she did that so I called the police.

I also dreamed we almost bought a family owned restaraunt with an attached home so that we could use the dining room as a playroom, but all 3 elevators were broken and I guess my family does not do stairs in my dreams because that was a deal breaker.

Drama queen in my seepies. Coffee.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 10/26/2020 at 7:35 PM, Spudater said:

12 months!  Wow!

She is very growly now. It's so hilarious to hear the sweet little coos mixed up with growls!  And every time she latches on she lets out a possessive little one like "mine!". She is rolling like a champ and pushing herself all the way up on her hands...I think she'll be an early crawler.

Newbie just turned 3 months old and I'm trying figure out where the time went! He rolled from his back to his belly for the first time yesterday by accident and then had no idea what to do next and started crying. 

Middle was an early walker. Never crawled or scooted. Ever. Started standing up on his own at 8 months and was full out running and walking up and the down stairs unassisted (independent, stubborn little guy) by 9 months.

Oldest didn't even see the point in trying to walk until he was over a year old.

Edited by Servant4Christ
  • Like 4

Good morning!

Congratulations, Sportsball!

We went to the spy museum way back when - it was expensive, but fun.  I remember going to the National Archives and all the security people would plead with visitors to NOT form a line and just go on in, but everyone insisted on forming a line.  Our family group (of 10) followed the request and just went in all willy-nilly and boy, did we get the Looks, lol!

Cello lesson road trip, zoom music theory, and youth group tonight.  Ds15 is trying to figure out how to make a Sherlock Holmes hat. 

Coffee!

• Like 2