Menu

Ignore this thread!

:grouphug: Slache.  I don't mind if my parents spoil my kids a bit, but they have never undermined our authority or our relationship.  That's rough. 

Unlike EVERY other woman I know in this position my husband stands up for me and lays boundaries with her. He's a good man. :)

• Like 7

• Replies 216.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slache

• Susan in TN

• Jean in Newcastle

• KrissiK

My kids are off on an adventure and I am alone in the house!  Well, as alone as I can get with a cat, a rabbit and two dogs.  They are taking a city bus into the nearest big city.  There they will get lunch and will check out a store where ds is thinking of applying for work.  And they'll probably dink around a bit too.  I have no idea if they left in time for the bus (I would have left 5 minutes earlier, personally) but they'll deal with it if they didn't.  

I need to get caught up a bit on life so that I can feel a bit less stressed.  

• Like 7

Bit of a good and bad start to actual academic homeschool work today - mostly good. After listening to a few groans that we had to actually do "school" today, I made crepes for the gang then pointed out where the local schools I could register them in if they wanted to coninute groaning. Happily, they stopped groaning immediately. ;) We did some read-aloud and history work, math and they'll do their Latin homework, etc. on their own. I guess they just needed a reminder that, yes, school was indeed going to happen so they might as well face reality. :laugh:

Haha, I threaten mine with school too. I love that it works:-)

Ilkso, so awesome on the German... Which program did you buy?

I just ordered Breaking the Spanish Barrier because I really need to get on foreign language. I took span through ap in high school, so I am pretty sure I can muddle through a first year Spanish class. But next year, we will need to reevaluate:-)

• Like 2

Lynn, ah the meat truck guys. I TOTALLY believe that you just happen to have leftover really fresh meat. In my driveway. That I can have at a fraction of the cost. Right.

Jean, love the bunny. Even more, love the word Grambunny!

Slachey, your dh sounds great. Mine would be all up in her grill too. I wish they would figure out that transforming your children into hellions doesn't make a good case for future visits. (Do we have a duh emoji?)

Feeling MUCH better. I even deep cleaned a couple of rooms and washed some floors. The house always falls apart when I am sick. Apparently, the fairies that usually clean the house take time off when I get ill, lol.

Anybody have any Netflix favs right now? After all of this work, I think I have earned some screen time tonight:-)

• Like 6

Ilkso, so awesome on the German... Which program did you buy?

Learnables.  We're on Level 2.  We did Level 1 last year, but just with the workbook.  I know enough German that I could pronounce everything and explain it to DS.  But this year DH didn't give me specific budget for curriculum, and just said to get what I needed.  So I went with the whole shebang. :)

• Like 2

Lynn, ah the meat truck guys. I TOTALLY believe that you just happen to have leftover really fresh meat. In my driveway. That I can have at a fraction of the cost. Right.

Jean, love the bunny. Even more, love the word Grambunny!

Slachey, your dh sounds great. Mine would be all up in her grill too. I wish they would figure out that transforming your children into hellions doesn't make a good case for future visits. (Do we have a duh emoji?)

Feeling MUCH better. I even deep cleaned a couple of rooms and washed some floors. The house always falls apart when I am sick. Apparently, the fairies that usually clean the house take time off when I get ill, lol.

Anybody have any Netflix favs right now? After all of this work, I think I have earned some screen time tonight:-)

I like  :huh:. We just started the Netflix thing. I have the following in my list:

Sherlock

Heroes

Merlin

House of Cards

Cosmos

The Bible

Unconditional

I've never seen any of them.

Learnables.  We're on Level 2.  We did Level 1 last year, but just with the workbook.  I know enough German that I could pronounce everything and explain it to DS.  But this year DH didn't give me specific budget for curriculum, and just said to get what I needed.  So I went with the whole shebang. :)

I've heard bad things about Learnables. How would you rate it on a scale of 1-10?

I have been sleeping like (description of the worst thing you can imagine) for two weeks now.  Up at 3 and not able to go back to sleep or up at 5:30 for good.  I go to bed between 11 and midnight because late is the only time dh and I have any time together.  I think I might break down tonight and root through my stash of meds and potions to see what I have to knock me the he(ck- but I thought something else) out.  This is for the birds.  I am almost incoherent.

• Like 5

She was taken to a hospital for "a non injury-related reason," according to the San Gabriel Valley Tribune.

Well, I think I have an idea of why she might have needed an ER. :hat:   I think she also might need a stint in jail or rehab or something.  That is cray cray.

• Like 2

I have been sleeping like (description of the worst thing you can imagine) for two weeks now.  Up at 3 and not able to go back to sleep or up at 5:30 for good.  I go to bed between 11 and midnight because late is the only time dh and I have any time together.  I think I might break down tonight and root through my stash of meds and potions to see what I have to knock me the he(ck- but I thought something else) out.  This is for the birds.  I am almost incoherent.

Me too. Wide awake at 3-4am. It sucks.

And Ds20 asked why I was in a bad mood. :huh:  :cursing:

• Like 2

It was a crazy, busy afternoon with homeschool hockey, violin lessons, then dh and I zipping out the door to play tennis. Got home, fed the dc and myself scrambled eggs, and I'm now relaxing with medicinal sustances (as discussed earlier).  All in all a productive and positive day.   :hurray:

Jean - LOVE the bunny photo!!! I always wanted a bunny, but made do with cats (though now I'm allergic).  :crying:

• Like 4

And she just keeps walking in the median! It's almost like she was thinking, "hmmm, I wonder what would happen if I just jumped out. Would the car stop or keep on going? I'm going to try it and see!"

The small article with it says that she was taken to the hospital for a "non-injury related reason".  Because of HIPPA we don't know if she was having a medical crisis of some kind or if she was under the influence of something.  Though since she was not charged with anything I would assume that it was simply medical and not a DUI.  

It is very lovely and unique.  I haven't seen a  bilingual  *blog* before. I admire you more each day.

*my fried brain forgot the most important word.

this is why I don't post much :leaving: 

• Like 4

Slache, your dh sounds like mine, as does your MIL, in some ways. She had a reputation for being very rude to her daughters-in-law, and before dh and I were even married, he told his mom that if she ever said anything to upset me, she would never see us or her (future) grandchildren. She actually took his word for it and has been, for the most part, very careful around me. We also refused to move "back home" even though God *clearly* told MIL that that's was His will for our lives. <major eye roll>

• Like 2

Just got back from visiting my MIL in the hospital. She came through surgery well and woke up just as my boys were coming into the room to give her the daisies that they picked out for her, so that was nice. She visited with them for all of about five minutes and then just went back to sleep. Hopefully she'll have a good night. Rehab starts tomorrow.

• Like 9

I've heard bad things about Learnables. How would you rate it on a scale of 1-10?

I like it for this age - DS is only 8.  I hear that a lot of people use it for high school, and I just don't see how.  It's not hard enough for high school, IMO.  But DS is doing really well with it, and he retained at least 75% of what he learned last year over the summer break. :thumbup1:

What bad things did you hear?

I'm not sure what to rate it though, because I only have my high school and college material to rate it against.

• Like 1

I hate, hate, hate when the kids go to see my mother in law. She feels that vacations are an excuse to not follow the rules so she strongly encourages the kids to eat poorly and not listen to us because they're on vacation. She says that she would never encourage dangerous behavior, but she's teaching them not to respect us. In Mary's eyes what's the difference between putting your toys away and not running in the street? If she doesn't think she has to listen to us then she just wont. I'm going to have Matt talk to her and tell her that if that happens again she will not be seeing the kids anymore. The children have been horrid since their return. Gagging at vegetables, refusing to follow commands, not picking up. She actually argued with Matt about whether or not the kids should have to pick up after themselves. Now John keeps telling me that he's too young for this many chores, that since I don't work that I should have to do it.

She also told Matt that I shouldn't have done all of that cleaning. I would only do that because I wanted to throw all of his stuff away. He shut her up real quick about that.

Matt thinks he know's why she's so manipulative with me. He thinks that since she controls her husband she thinks that I control mine and the only way for her to regain control over Matt is through me. If you knew her relationship with it makes perfect sense. The irony is that she caused me so much pain that Matt, the head of the household, made us move away to protect me from her. If she had just accepted us the way we were and not expected us to be her servants we would still be living right down the street from her.

MIL would get a mouthful from me. Gah.

• Like 1

I like it for this age - DS is only 8.  I hear that a lot of people use it for high school, and I just don't see how.  It's not hard enough for high school, IMO.  But DS is doing really well with it, and he retained at least 75% of what he learned last year over the summer break. :thumbup1:

What bad things did you hear?

I'm not sure what to rate it though, because I only have my high school and college material to rate it against.

I've heard it's boring and they don't really learn anything. 

I hate, hate, hate when the kids go to see my mother in law. She feels that vacations are an excuse to not follow the rules so she strongly encourages the kids to eat poorly and not listen to us because they're on vacation. She says that she would never encourage dangerous behavior, but she's teaching them not to respect us. In Mary's eyes what's the difference between putting your toys away and not running in the street? If she doesn't think she has to listen to us then she just wont. I'm going to have Matt talk to her and tell her that if that happens again she will not be seeing the kids anymore. The children have been horrid since their return. Gagging at vegetables, refusing to follow commands, not picking up. She actually argued with Matt about whether or not the kids should have to pick up after themselves. Now John keeps telling me that he's too young for this many chores, that since I don't work that I should have to do it.

She also told Matt that I shouldn't have done all of that cleaning. I would only do that because I wanted to throw all of his stuff away. He shut her up real quick about that.

Matt thinks he know's why she's so manipulative with me. He thinks that since she controls her husband she thinks that I control mine and the only way for her to regain control over Matt is through me. If you knew her relationship with it makes perfect sense. The irony is that she caused me so much pain that Matt, the head of the household, made us move away to protect me from her. If she had just accepted us the way we were and not expected us to be her servants we would still be living right down the street from her.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

I cannot even imagine that kind of behavior from anyone. :huh:

• Like 4

Confession:  I am going to a rock concert tomorrow with my dh and my son.  I like the music.  I am dreading sitting for so long esp. on what will probably be the ground.  (I will look to see if I can get some small chairs inexpensively but I'm not counting on it.)  I am dreading the logistics of getting there and parking and finding our way around unfamiliar crowds.  It's the kind of thing that I end up enduring while in pain.  Now perhaps it won't be like that so I don't want to borrow trouble or anything and I will certainly not let on to ds that I feel this way.  I agreed to do this only because I know how important it is to our son.  

• Like 7