Menu

Ignore this thread!

1 minute ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

We're going to our small city fireworks.  At least dd and I will.  The boys usually skip it. 

This will be Juliet's first fireworks.  Libby has stopped freaking out since she's started to go deaf with old age.  Tomorrow is her birthday and she turns 13.  I have no idea how Juliet will react but she hasn't responded at all to the few booms we've had in the last couple of days.  Which brings me to:  why do people insist on setting off fireworks despite a fireworks ban? 

The people who did it most in our old neighborhood were comprised of a family in which 1/3rd were clearly schizophrenic or had some other hallucinatory mental illness, 2/3rds alcoholics and 2/3rds on illegal drugs. So that was awesome because naturally they didn't even spray down their roof or nearby bushes before starting fire hazards in a densely populated suburb.

Other reasons:

"Fireworks don't cause fires, people cause fires."

"I'm 1/116th Native American and the government can't tell me what to do."

"That's a stupid law. When I was a kid we had fireworks and my cousin got his arm blown off but he has a job folding towels at Wal-Mart now so obviously there is not a problem."

"What fireworks ban?"

"This isn't a firework. It just makes a flash and then comes right back down."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We are going to a party for the Fourth. It’s out in the country and there will be fireworks. My friends’ sons (college age and very smart and sensible) design and choreograph fireworks shows that are amazing.

as to why people like to do fireworks?? They’re fun!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

We are going to a party for the Fourth. It’s out in the country and there will be fireworks. My friends’ sons (college age and very smart and sensible) design and choreograph fireworks shows that are amazing.

as to why people like to do fireworks?? They’re fun!!!

No, illegal fireworks--because you know, half of California and huge swaths of Washington and Oregon were on fire for the past few years. Just to clarify, this has a really direct effect on the lives of millions of people because of smoke/air quality alone, not to mention of course the 43 people who died from wildfires, about half man-made (not including global warming as "man made").

California is on fire right now! 

http://www.fire.ca.gov/general/firemaps

https://www.sacbee.com/news/state/california/fires/article214183814.html

So are Washington and Oregon:

https://www.dnr.wa.gov/Wildfires

In Oregon, the largest fire was documented to be started by illegal fireworks:

"Large fires include the Chetco Bar Fire in Curry County, Oregon, and the Eagle Creek Fire in the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area, which was started by illegal fireworks use.[7]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Washington_wildfires#/media/File:NOAA_wildfire_warning_Washington_2017_Labor_Day.png

The burn ban isn't to make people miserable. It's to save lives. My state last year... those aren't clouds. ?

Related image

• Sad 2

53 minutes ago, Tsuga said:

The people who did it most in our old neighborhood were comprised of a family in which 1/3rd were clearly schizophrenic or had some other hallucinatory mental illness, 2/3rds alcoholics and 2/3rds on illegal drugs. So that was awesome because naturally they didn't even spray down their roof or nearby bushes before starting fire hazards in a densely populated suburb.

BTW I wasn't joking about the mental illness... like they used to have the psychiatric cop unit there all the time and someone knew the parents of one of the adults. ? Sorry to add this later... I realize now it may seem like I was joking but I was serious.

1 minute ago, KrissiK said:

Yes, it is illegal and it is totally foolish to be doing all this firework stuff in the tinderbox that is our state. But people do it because it is fun.

Fair enough... though one could always participate in an official display program if one were super interested in pyrotechnics.

• Like 1

We have fireworks this year. Amazingly the grass is still green this summer, and we don't have a burn ban on. We live out of town and fireworks are legal. I usually insist that all of them be set off before it gets completely dark, and DH supervises the event. If there is dry weather or a hint of a burn ban--no fireworks.

• Like 1

I don't think fireworks are fun, but that's probably just me being a sensory princess. I love professional ones because they're beautiful and not in my face. I liked sparklers as a kid and we have gotten the kids poppers since they were little. We'll probably take them to their first official fireworks show this year.

• Like 3

The one thing I do dislike about fireworks (now and at New Years) is that people tend to set them off all week. I heard some this morning and will hear more tonight. Having had a dog with phobia and having known a person who had horrible triggers with fireworks, I do wish that people would do them all on one specific date over a period of about 4 hours. I can hope, anyway!

• Like 2

Good shows are fun. We went to one on the year that we had a burn ban that was great. Another year we went to another one. There were folks shooting in the yards behind us. Getting out of there was like being under fire the whole time we tried to get to our car! Never again!

• Like 1

I've talked before about the harrowing experiences we had with the "frat boys" who used to live across the street.  They would get roaring drunk and would set off fireworks.  One year it was so bad that the fireworks were going down the street horizontally like mortars.  And they were setting some of them off from my mailbox.  Our neighborhood set up an unofficial phone tree and we were taking turns calling the police on them.  We took turns because the police wouldn't respond to one complaint but would only come out if others complained too.  The stupid police officer (and I am very pro police) was too scared to get out of his car to deal with the drunken idiots so he rolled down his window and told them to tone it down.  The frat boys picked up their fireworks, moved 20 feet down the road and kept on going. . .     

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Critterfixer said:

The one thing I do dislike about fireworks (now and at New Years) is that people tend to set them off all week. I heard some this morning and will hear more tonight. Having had a dog with phobia and having known a person who had horrible triggers with fireworks, I do wish that people would do them all on one specific date over a period of about 4 hours. I can hope, anyway!

Then you don’t want to live in São Paulo, Brasil. Fireworks are a way of life. They shoot fireworks off for everything. One Sunday morning not long after I moved down there I was awakened at 6:00 to a tremendous racket. One of the religions down there loads up these hot air balloon things with firecrackers and lights off the firecrackers and floats the hot air balloon down the street so it just floats down the streets with the firecrackers going off like crazy. And then, Sunday afternoons are amazing when the local futbol teams are playing because they light off fireworks whenever someone scores. And Brazilian fireworks are hardcore.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Then you don’t want to live in São Paulo, Brasil. Fireworks are a way of life. They shoot fireworks off for everything. One Sunday morning not long after I moved down there I was awakened at 6:00 to a tremendous racket. One of the religions down there loads up these hot air balloon things with firecrackers and lights off the firecrackers and floats the hot air balloon down the street so it just floats down the streets with the firecrackers going off like crazy. And then, Sunday afternoons are amazing when the local futbol teams are playing because they light off fireworks whenever someone scores. And Brazilian fireworks are hardcore.

Nope! I wouldn't want to live there!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I don't think that breaking the law is fun.  And I won't budge on that one.  There are plenty of legal official fireworks around (including on tv if one really can't get out) so that people can celebrate with loud noises and pretty lights. 

People don’t look at it like that, though. I’m not defending scoff-laws, but I do understand. I love fireworks, the bigger the better. We used to have amazing fireworks shows in our neighborhood, put on by a fine upstanding citizen, who had a prominent position in the community. 

but.... take other laws. Traffic laws. Say you have a performance car (or manybe even not) and like to drive fast. Sure, you are a danger to yourself and others, but some people still drive 20-30 mph over the speed limit.

I think we all have a tendency to want laws enforced that annoy us when people break them, and don’t really care about the laws that put a limit on what we enjoy doing.

9 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

People don’t look at it like that, though. I’m not defending scoff-laws, but I do understand. I love fireworks, the bigger the better. We used to have amazing fireworks shows in our neighborhood, put on by a fine upstanding citizen, who had a prominent position in the community. 

but.... take other laws. Traffic laws. Say you have a performance car (or manybe even not) and like to drive fast. Sure, you are a danger to yourself and others, but some people still drive 20-30 mph over the speed limit.

I think we all have a tendency to want laws enforced that annoy us when people break them, and don’t really care about the laws that put a limit on what we enjoy doing.

No, we don't all have that tendency. 

We have a lot of "legal" things here that I would like to stay "legal". But I do spend a lot of time talking to both boys about what it means to be responsible and empathetic when it comes to things like fireworks. Not to mention being safe. I hope some of the lessons stick.

Of course, given the fact that the boy darted off into cottonmouth territory the other day, I might need to work on "safe" a little more...

21 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

Well... no, though, they may have to change their tune if things get worse. We are in a temperate rainforest and things never were like this before.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/sep/28/brazil-forest-fires-deforestation-september-record-amazon ?

I love fireworks personally but then again I love alcohol. Actually I even like shooting guns. Things have a time and a place and limits for the safety of others and it doesn't bother me to respect the rules and to have strict rules in place. I am pro-everything-with-oversight. Okay not everything. But a lot of things.

• Like 2

Okay, so for the last couple of hours I've been shaky. I thought it was food related, so I ate. Still shaky. Couldn't figure it out, until I thought: The developmental edit on my book should be done tomorrow. Another editor has my book for a Beta read and said I'd probably hear back from her at the end of the week. Another pitch contest coming up next week (two of them if I enter one on the Saturday---tough because I have to do everything on my phone). Plus I have 2000 words to write, two critiques to do (and one of those critiques goes to this very talented writer who is marking up my manuscript) and in short--I have to face everything horrible about my writing, me, my style, my voice, my character and all in the next few days.

Lord, there isn't enough chocolate!

• Sad 1

We're back from the pool.  They had to close the outdoor pool and patio for a while due to lightning, so we went to the inside pool for a bit.  It was very loud and cold and chloriney in there.  The outdoor pool water was so warm I didn't even feel the need to ease in.  

The kids have already lost the basketball I bought them at Aldi this morning.  :mellow:

Boo Basketball Booyah. 

• Sad 2

20 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

We're back from the pool.  They had to close the outdoor pool and patio for a while due to lightning, so we went to the inside pool for a bit.  It was very loud and cold and chloriney in there.  The outdoor pool water was so warm I didn't even feel the need to ease in.  

The kids have already lost the basketball I bought them at Aldi this morning.  :mellow:

Boo Basketball Booyah. 

They don't close the indoor pool when there's lightning?

19 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Boo Basketball Booyah. 

? ? ?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Nope.  Is that dangerous?

I was always taught that it is.  Apparently this is up for debate.

Dh and I just looked it up.  The National Lightning Safety Institute says that pools should be cleared.

I have never been to a pool that didn't clear the pool if there was lightning/thunder.  I had never even heard of such a thing until you mentioned it.

• Like 1

She's feeling spunky, that's for sure. We told the kids she was still sick and we were going over to welcome her home. We don't want them to sit around waiting for her to die. We held hands and I was instructed to wash afterward. I don't know why or what she's dying of.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1