Menu

Ignore this thread!

If you are so inclined, will you pray for dh's 15yo nephew who was in a motorcycle accident on Wednesday and is in bad shape - both arms and hands broken, broken leg, leaking lung, broken nose, femur, & growth plates(?), etc.  They expect him to be "OK", but he's in excruciating pain.

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

7 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

If you are so inclined, will you pray for dh's 15yo nephew who was in a motorcycle accident on Wednesday and is in bad shape - both arms and hands broken, broken leg, leaking lung, broken nose, femur, & growth plates(?), etc.  They expect him to be "OK", but he's in excruciating pain.

Ouch!  Will definitely pray for him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KrissiK said:

No, it was an “i’m Bored and lonely, someone needs to pay attention to me” squalling. At least, that’s what I assumed. She was just sitting there in the middle of the floor crying and I came in and she looked at me and trotted away.?

Lol!  Mine does this in loud plaintive cries outside his favorites bedroom door in the middle of the night.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Praying.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Susan in TN said:

Bless his heart! Lots of prayers!

• Like 1

Good Morning!

Headache.  I want coffee, but, alas, I don't drink it.

*whispers* Our coffee pot is still in the box.  (I bought it a few years ago for $5 on Black Friday to keep in case we have guests who want coffee.  It turns out, though, that my parents would rather drive 20 min. round trip to buy coffee.)

• Like 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Warning - EdPo!  Avert yer eyeballs!

Reported!

I really need to get to work on middle ages literature today.  One of the more pleasant lessons to work on, but time consuming. Last year's materials are still in the lesson cubbies and things need to get cleaned out, but we really can't put stuff away until I get some work done in the pantry.  Bah.  Don't want to do it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Susan in TN said:

Warning - EdPo!  Avert yer eyeballs!

Reported!

I really need to get to work on middle ages literature today.  One of the more pleasant lessons to work on, but time consuming. Last year's materials are still in the lesson cubbies and things need to get cleaned out, but we really can't put stuff away until I get some work done in the pantry.  Bah.  Don't want to do it.

Susan, we really are twins, lol.  I so desperately need to get to work on our literature for geography, but can't because last year's work and materials are still on the bookshelves.  Not to mention, I need to make a list of stuff needed and get cracking on ordering because I'd like to begin the second week of August.

• Like 2

Good Morning!!!

COFFEE!!,~D

Saturday!!

Soccer.....er....football!! Sweden v England. I don’t know, those Swedes are sure cute, but i’m Gonna have to go for Mother England. At least these guys play like gentlemen. When England played the Colombians it was like an all-out brawl.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mama25angels said:

Susan, we really are twins, lol.  I so desperately need to get to work on our literature for geography, but can't because last year's work and materials are still on the bookshelves.  Not to mention, I need to make a list of stuff needed and get cracking on ordering because I'd like to begin the second week of August.

It's like looking in a mirror.  You are quite gorgeous, you know!  :laugh:

13 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

. I don’t know, those Swedes are sure cute...

Why, yes we are!  And we invented IKEA!

• Like 4

The headache is some better.  Back to it's usual level of "still there, but able to function."

I am reading Willa Cather's O Pioneers.  My Antonia is one of my favorite books; this is my first time reading this one.

I'm convinced that Willa Cather is a poet who writes prose.  The language is beautiful.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, Junie said:

The headache is some better.  Back to it's usual level of "still there, but able to function."

I am reading Willa Cather's O Pioneers.  My Antonia is one of my favorite books; this is my first time reading this one.

I'm convinced that Willa Cather is a poet who writes prose.  The language is beautiful.

I’ve been meaning to read “O Pioneers”. I’ll have to see if the library has it.

I’m reading and enjoying “Eight Cousins” by LMA. It’s a sweet book. Reminds me a lot of “The Secret Garden” for some reason. Although one thing I am noticing about LMA’s writing is she has a sincere belief that people want to be good. In a kind of unrealistic way. I have by no means read all her work, but there is a surprising lack of villains in what I have read and everyone seems to be desirous of self-improvement. Even in Jo March there is not genuine rebellion. (Although I did read and enjoy “A Long Fatal Love Chase” years ago and there was a villain. Sort of.) LMA’s Transendentalist beliefs are strong in her writing.

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, KrissiK said:

I’m reading and enjoying “Eight Cousins” by LMA. It’s a sweet book. Reminds me a lot of “The Secret Garden” for some reason. Although one thing I am noticing about LMA’s writing is she has a sincere belief that people want to be good. In a kind of unrealistic way. I have by no means read all her work, but there is a surprising lack of villains in what I have read and everyone seems to be desirous of self-improvement. Even in Jo March there is not genuine rebellion. (Although I did read and enjoy “A Long Fatal Love Chase” years ago and there was a villain. Sort of.) LMA’s Transendentalist beliefs are strong in her writing.

I enjoyed "Eight Cousins," and its sequel "Rose in Bloom," when I was in high school. I have copies of both. However, I read it again recently and couldn't finish it, because it was just too preachy. Long, long dissertations on whatever the theme of the chapter was, bare details on actions (a vacation at a farm? something like that, which could have been beautifully described, but wasn't, more of "a good time was had by all"). I loved Little Women (of course), but Little Men and Jo's Boys were the same...preachy. In one of them, one of the boys is suspected of thievery. There's no real evidence, and instead of actually investigating the "crime," everyone shuns the poor boy. I detested that. Find out the truth, administer punishment if necessary, forgive, move on. There was no forgiveness.

FTR, I love being at my desktop computer with its ergonomic computer instead of trying to wax poetic on my little cell phone or tablet. :-)

• Like 3

Back from Big 5 and the Afsa.

Watching Russia and Croatia. I’m cheering for Croatia. For absolutely no reason whatsoever.

Gotta to to Costco later today.

the kittehs are funny. Misty chased and tackled Lily and then held her down and started licking her (Lily’s) leg.?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

CCC:  Christian camp content:  I need some simple concrete words to say that our sins were assigned to Christ on the cross.  Bonus points for a clear concrete illustration at elementary level. 

Hmmmm...... I’ll get back to you on that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

oh for pity's sake!  Why do I even bother to try and come into the 21st century?  I've been sitting here for the last half hour trying to figure out how to use Every dollar, it's allegedly one of the easier to use budget tools and yet, I can't get it to work.  Maybe, pencil and paper isn't such a bad idea after all.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

CCC:  Christian camp content:  I need some simple concrete words to say that our sins were assigned to Christ on the cross.  Bonus points for a clear concrete illustration at elementary level. 

What about the analogy of owing a huge debt (make up story why) and someone comes to pay it for you. 

Just a thought....

• Thanks 2

I am home from work. Haven't watched World Cup action this year. Go sportball! I have never been to an IKEA. I am in errors to the library and they wouldn't let me get books. I must pay my way free. I was broke today, but will be able to pay next time! 

Today--more editing. After I finish eating these mushrooms.

• Like 3

We zoo'd. I don't love IKEA. 

4 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Good morning.  I sleep so much better now that I'm listening to rainstorms all night on Spotify. 

We listen to the ac.

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

The kids have a DVD that I absolutely adore. Jesus is up on the cross perfectly clean and everyone around him has black splotches on them. The blacks splotches move from the people to Jesus until you can no longer see Jesus but only the black splotches, or sin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, KrissiK said:

I’ve been meaning to read “O Pioneers”. I’ll have to see if the library has it.

I remember thinking that about Eight Cousins when I reread the book a few years ago - I didn't quite pick up on that when I was young.  :laugh:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, KrissiK said:

IKEA is amazing. We have to Drive about 3 hours to get to one. 

Ours is 4 hours away, but we only go to the one in MN every 2 years because it's 20 minutes from my parent's house.  I rode past an IKEA on a bus in Sweden.  The bus driver wouldn't stop.  :dry:  That was about the time my avatar picture was taken.

1 hour ago, Slache said:

We zoo'd. I don't love IKEA. 

We listen to the ac.

The kids have a DVD that I absolutely adore. Jesus is up on the cross perfectly clean and everyone around him has black splotches on them. The blacks splotches move from the people to Jesus until you can no longer see Jesus but only the black splotches, or sin.

We listen to the loud air purifier. 

I like that illustration.

45 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

I love Rainier cherries 

They are very expensive here right now.  Hopefully they'll be on sale next week.  I remember when we were in WA and would pass by all these little road-side stands selling cherries. So yummy.

• Like 1

My arthritis is really acting up today -- and there's no rain in the forecast.    ?  Maybe the forecast is wrong.

I had to pull a chair into the kitchen so that I could sit down while I was stirring taco meat.  The date on the meat was two days ago, so it really had to be cooked tonight.

Dh ended up finishing it for me and dd15 bagged it up to put in the freezer.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Slache said:

If you don't respond to antibiotics do you just die? I received some news through the prayer chain and don't want to inquire. It's a UTI in a much older gentleman. 

Not necessarily. Sometimes a person's immune system will kick in. Sometimes it will move into the kidneys which is even more serious. Sometimes it will get into the bloodstream. That is called sepsis and can lead to death. Hopefully they will try different classes (families) of antibiotics. At one point my docs had to go through 8 different classes of antibiotics before one worked. 

• Like 3